pistol
Years ago

Which current players would you build a team around?

So who would you choose to be your Franchise player??
Any current NBL player??

I would go Khazoo maybe wortho??

Topic #27513 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

There isn't many in the NBL really.. Worthington, Trigger, Khazzouh and maybe Adam Gibson. Maybe.

But even then I don't like Khazzouhs game, Trigger is more a 2nd option guy.

Last year the clear choice was Ervin & Penney.

Reply #349979 | Report this post

Jacob  
Years ago

Damo Martin

khazzou

loughton

or wortho

Reply #349980 | Report this post

Dazzman  
Years ago

I would prefer to build a franchise around a young guy like Jesse Wagstaff rather than someone such as Worthington who has probably reached his peak bearing his age.
Even from his rookie season I believed that Wagstaff would evolve to the same level or greater than Mark worthington has been able to achieve. If he's able to do so i would make for a wonderful career.

Reply #349983 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho is a baby!!! Gets n tries to get the calls just like andrew gaze got those bulls--t calls!!! Special k is in a differnt player to him!!!

Reply #349989 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Stephen Weigh

Woops, sorry thought I was Marty Clarke for a second :p

Reply #349994 | Report this post

Rhea 12  
Years ago

Gibson or Khazzouh EASILY!!!

Reply #349999 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

Gibson is not a franchise player. Khaz, but even then he isnt as dominating at what he does in ratio to what Penney or Ervin could do. True game breakers, that make lesser players better. Hence they are value for money.

Reply #350000 | Report this post

Julian  
Years ago

Cheerleaders.

Then we may get live One HD coverage back.

Reply #350003 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

how old is daniel johnson??

seriously he is just getting better and better. will be one of the best offensive forces in the nbl for the next 10 years if euro doesnt call. really needs to step up his ability to defend other teams 6'10+ guys but that may forever be his weakness that you accept because he does 18 and 12 day in day out.

surround him with a good pg, some shooters from range and another 6'10+ guy who can defend all the bigs without being a complete f up on the offense and you have yourselves a team.

i see a euro team offering him big bucks in 2 or 3 years.

Reply #350004 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Martin, Worthington, Vukona. Guys who can defend.

Reply #350010 | Report this post

Kobe24  
Years ago

DJ is no franchise player, not even close to being close... shows glimpses and all that, but hasnt taken over a game like franchise type players do. And dont see it coming anytime soon.

League just doesnt have those tough game changers right now, Cat, was one of my favourites. Always felt you were in a game with him on court.

Reply #350015 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BA doesn't let guys take over in juniors anymore. They develop everyone onto bloody role players. Marty Clarke was the worst for it

Reply #350024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wortho defend????? What are on about mate!!!!

Reply #350025 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac - Martin, Worthington, Vukona - and maybe Gibson and even Crawford but certainly not Trigger.

Reply #350037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hoopie thank god your not a gm! lol building your team around role players (except wortho who is a superstar) and get smashed! Wait a minute are you the sixers gm?

Reply #350039 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I don't think that you can build your team around ONE player, as I'd choose Khazzouh, but need a decent coach to be able to work him hard and get that fire in him to get that "take control" mentality that Penney and other great players have... That killer/game dominator instinct that he's only shown glimpses of so far these last two seasons and a solid work ethic are the only things holding him back from being a true force in this league...

Partner him with a quality PG like Damo, and THEN you've got a franchise... Both still young, very likeable, recognisable guys who are great on the court and off, which is a big part of being a franchise player, not just being able to put up huge numbers...

Reply #350051 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Id say Cedric jackson - even as an import.

In terms of Aussie players - Lisch (when naturalised), Khazzouh (got to get him the ball), Gibson, Wortho and D Johnson

Reply #350053 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I wouldn't build around Johnson. He'd be the project C you put with Wortho. I like to think of the "build around" guy as being a defensive anchor. e.g., you start with Wortho and Martin, and then you can fill in the gaps with streaky guys, role players or purely offensive stars. I'd prioritise that rather than pay up for Khazzouh and then try to find something that will work with him.

I like his game, but has Khazzouh found himself on a .500+ team in his NBL career? Had two years with the Pigs, part of a year with the Spirit and now with the Kings. Is he just picking the wrong sides?

Reply #350058 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

I would rate any of the teams Khazzouh has been on as good. Razorbacks (he was very young there) and Spirit were both very poor teams when he was there. The Kings are new but have potential.

I said Johnson as he has a huge upside - needs to work on a lot of things. He is still relatively young and has improved every year since he has been in the league. He has definately improved quicker than most other guys in his age group like Weigh, Coenraad, Walker, Allen etc. At 24 he can still play for another 8 years as a starter so that would be appealing to build around - not to mention he is 7'0.

Reply #350063 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Interesting .. - to compare to Clarke's favorite
and Wortho asked if he could come here for 3 years
but didn't seem to fit , here.

Reply #350066 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Hey, Anon#350039, these aren't the only guys I'd want. I'm just saying that these are the first Aussies / Kiwis I'd go after if I was starting up a team. They're winners, they change the game and lift the team, and they produce the goods consistently.

If anything, I'd say that Vukona actually under-performs.

Reply #350070 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin & Vukona are just role players. They're complimentary players. Due to the lack of big men Khazzouh would probably make the most sense.

Reply #350077 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

D.Martin would be my first player signed.

Sets the standard for others, team first, brilliant defensivley, looks after the rock and makes smart decisions.

Reply #350080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

To compete now and have a great future I would go this way;

G Cedric Jackson - Reigns hell on the defensive end with his steals and he is easily the best playmaker in the league. Can also get you 10+ a game
G Thomas Abercrombie - A superb athlete and an ever improving shooter. He has the long ball and is adding a mid-range shot to go with increased ball handling.
F Anatoly Bose - Love his game, he can shoot with range, is a better athlete than most think and has size. He is a great rebounder.
F - Alex Loughton - His inside-outside game is legitimate and he seems like an excellent leader and team man.
C - Jerai Grant - He's a jumping jack and is active on the glass and on defense. He is working on a jumper and has developing post moves. A double-double lock within a season.

G - Daniel Dillon - He is a combo guard but he is speedy with the ball and can defend three spots. He sees the game well and can be taught to be a pure point.
G - Peter Crawford - A veteran who is getting better with age. A shooter and a defender on the wings.
F - Todd Blanchfield - A silky jump shooter with serious athletic talent. Having an in-between game means he can score more effectively.
F - Dusty Rychart - Give me his energy and will to win any day. Is getting on but he can rebound, defend and get you some post buckets.
C - Alex Pledger - With Wilkinson's excellent play he is not getting the burn he deserves. He is a starting centre in my eyes and is still young and developing.

I admit you may struggle to get them within a salary cap but you could go close and there is some youth, some star power and some veteran savvy.
Couple titles there for sure!

Reply #350136 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

johnson has definately tore some games apart so far. i really see him improving as the years go on as well. cannot so far and doesnt show signs of ever containing the opponents bigs which is the big worry.

Reply #350167 | Report this post

Vukona obviously he's one of the best defenders in the league and arguably the best rebounder.

Reply #350170 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawks would be legit if they can pick up will hudson, steven weigh and alex pledger next season and replace camb , catron and davidson

other than that i'd build a team around nathan jawai

Reply #350180 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Khazzouh the clear standout to build your team around. I wouldn't include imports as they seem to come and go a lot, so Cedric Jackson is out.

DJ is becoming a super offensive player. He has the physical tools to be a good defender, but as others have said, time will tell whether he can improve enough to become a true franchise player.

If you're looking at defensive players to build around, Ian Crosswhite should be up there. He is a big reason why Cairns keeps achieving despite being written off.

If I had my choice of NBL swingmen, Abercrombie would be my first choice without a second thought.

Really like what I have seen of Bose so far. Could actually be the second coming of Cattalini if he keeps improving.

I like Daniel Dillon as well. Only thing holding him back is his inconsistent outside shot.

Reply #350183 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:09 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754