Mystro
Years ago

Could this be aimed at the Blaze?

Breakers coaches comments taken from an article on www.stuff.co.nz

He also aimed a fairly direct shot at several other clubs around the league who blare loud music throughout games, and don't chose to allow their fans to become a factor.

"Our crowd is great," said Lemanis. "I hope the rest of the league learns from the way we manage a game from a presentation point of view. Perth do a very good job of it as well.

"We don't play a rock concert at the games, we get our crowds involved. We expect them to participate and not just spectate and let them understand they can influence the outcome if they are allowed to by being noisy.

"The music is not blasting at 1000 decibels, therefore you can cheer, and hear yourself cheer, and hear the person next to you cheering. So you get involved and that brings the passion out in the fans."

Which other clubs do this apart from GC?

Topic #27568 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Townsville

Reply #351014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Those in glass houses ....

Reply #351018 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Melbourne have been terrible in recent years (though I can't comment on the past two seasons). Not only do they play the music too loud, they play it at the wrong times, not allowing the crowd to get properly involved. Also, they've had the same music for the best part of 10 years!

Reply #351020 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

ive never really had a problem with the music in adelaides venue. at least not the music during the game anyway. bloody guy sabastien and who the hell was that girl from some reality show. Not exactly an exciting prelude to a fast paced action packed game.

to be honest ild be more worried about

a) stability. ie producing a quality product on the floor as consistantly as possible

b) marketing and particularly market ( ie fan) participation outside of those 40mins.

lemanis handing out advice about in-game music to a league that almost disappeared a couple of years ago is laughably inconsequential and an obvious case of a coach aiming attention away from his team or something he doesnt want to discuss.

the old quick look over there! ( ducks out the back) routine.

Reply #351022 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Gold Coast are certainly the worst offenders form what a lot of Blaze fans have said, but from a tv viewer perspective, watching a Perth home game is a painful experience! Everything in the back ground is SO loud I find it difficult to listen to the commentators... ugh...

Reply #351026 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, the Wildcats courtside announcers microphones are always way too loud.

Reply #351027 | Report this post

dude  
Years ago

Every team dreams of having what Perth have at their home games.

Reply #351028 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

The Blaze have brought it down a notch recently with the music, but they are still pretty bad.
Not to mention the camera men loving the cheer leaders.

Perth & Gold Coast are the two most unwatchable games, tv wise. With Perth i usually just mute the game. Gold Coast is a little harder to enjoy..

Reply #351029 | Report this post

Bobby Tables  
Years ago

Adelaide was really bad for this a few years ago toward the end of Smyth's reign. You couldn't hear yourself think and there was no point cheering, no one would hear you. Even Ken Cole called them out in it in an interview with the paper!

Reply #351031 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Last Adelaide game they played music during every opposition possession.

Reply #351073 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Phil, what does Lemanis need to hide from? His team which won a title last year is still top of the table despite most people writing them off pre season.

Reply #351100 | Report this post

Bball Fan  
Years ago

Anon - Disagree with the Townsville comments. Having had season tickets for 10 years in the past, I would say Townsville is up the there with the best entertainment wise. Music is fine. They don't have a great home court advantage for nothing.

Reply #351122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bit of arrogace from Lemanis with his comments. Whilst I agree with what he says, I don't think he's in a position just yet to gloat about how great the NZ game experience is. New Zealand sports fans are notoriously fickle, and as soon as the breakers lose their dominance, their crowds will drop off and the atmosphere won't be as good. I hope not as I want to see every franchise do well off the court.

It should also be noted that they play in the worst looking stadium, and the 2nd smallest venue.

Breakers overall franchise is good, and certainly on the rise, but they have a while to go yet before the coach can be critical of other clubs.

Reply #351234 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

GC may be the loudest but Melbourne's still the worst for "entertainment" and "announcer". Both are jokes.

Reply #351243 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:57 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754