LC
Years ago

Dellavedova named WCC POTY!

This also deserves its own thread...

Matthew Dellavedova has been named West Coast Conference Player of the Year!

After leading the Gaels to their first outright West Coast Conference regular season title since 1989, Saint Mary's junior guard Matthew Dellavedova has been named the WCC Player of the Year.

Matthew Dellavedova becomes the seventh player in the history of Saint Mary's College - and the second straight Gael (Mickey McConnell, 2011) - to be named West Coast Conference Player of the Year. A finalist for the Bob Cousy Award given annually to the nation's top point guard, Dellavedova leads the West Coast Conference in assists per game with 6.6, while ranking third in scoring at 16.4 points per contest during WCC play. He led this year's Gaels to a 14-2 WCC record - setting a new school mark for the most conference victories in a season.

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022812aaa.html

http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=101619&SPID=12536&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=205388615

Well done Delly!

Topic #27661 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Dellavedova has also been named to the 2012 West Coast Conference Men's Basketball All-Academic Team!

http://www.wccsports.com/sports/m-baskbl/spec-rel/022712aac.html

http://www.smcgaels.com/ViewArticle.dbml?SPSID=101619&SPID=12536&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=21400&ATCLID=205387953

Reply #352262 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Be great if he can get an NBA contract

Reply #352268 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Delly has improved each season in college, and has played a starring role in leading the Gael's this season following McConnell's departure after graduating...not to mention all the positive attention and exposure he has earnt alongside all the individual accolades.

So given this year will be a reasonably weak year for PG's, should Delly consider giving up his senior year and nominate for the next NBA draft?

Would definitely warrant some serious thought one should imagine, especially if Delly could help take his team to the WCC tournament championship and also make a decent run in the NCAA tournament...

I'd love to know what others think on this...

Reply #352272 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Congratulations Delly!

Reply #352276 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I've long thought that Delly could play at the level required to make the NBA, I'm just not sure that NBA GM's will agree, as he seems to have a lot of those 'stereotypes' that put GM's off. He's a relatively small, international, white kid. He's a 'tweener' when it comes to position, he plays at a small school in a small conference. He's not outstanding at any one aspect of the game.

I reiterate, all those things listed are not me knocking him, but the usual excuses you hear from NBA GM's. Hopefully they've all learnt something from the recent Jeremy Lin story.

As far as declaring for the draft, I would suggest that unless he gets a first round guarantee, then he should go back for his senior year.

Reply #352279 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The absolute closet comparison you can make for a draft case is Mickey McConnell. Granted he's a bit smaller than Delly, but as the 2011 WCC POTY, at the same school, and same position, he makes for a great comparison.

Mickey's numbers last year were superior to Delly's - 16.4ppg, 6.1apg, 50%FG, 45%3PFG, 89%FT. Probably not as good a defender, but these numbers didn't really get Mickey a look in at the NBA level, even though the averages were the same as, and the shooting percentages superior too Steve Nash as a senior.

Reply #352282 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Steve Nash was also an international white kid who played in the WCC

Reply #352283 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agree Vart, but we also need to consider Delly took some heat off McConnell and McConnell took heat off Delly. Delly has played this season with all the heat, as good as Page is, he is not as good as McConnell (yet anyway).

I too am hoping the Jeremy Lin story helps his cause and avoid him being overlooked.

Reply #352284 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

I suspect that a guy who is making all academic teams will have an interest in finishing his degree and will therefore want to complete his senior year.

Reply #352285 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

I was thinking the same XY...

Reply #352286 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

He wasnt just named to the All Conference academic team.. he was named to the All American academic first time. Off the top of my head the other 4 on the team come from Duke, Ohio State, UNC and Wofford.

This is a weak draft for PG's, but next season's will be even weaker I think, its all big men and wing players, he'd be better off coming back for his final year, graduating and taking his chances on draft day.

Reply #352294 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I've haven't seen a PG get mugged like Delly does for a long time. He is consistently getting doubled off the pick. So his numbers are very impressive. He finds ways to score he has some tricks.

He probably lacks the speed that'll get him a look in the NBA.

Reply #352297 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Good on him!

Reply #352298 | Report this post

clarky  
Years ago

Great job by Delly to get these accolades, clearly been recognised for an excellent season!

In terms of nominating for the NBA Draft this year, I think he might be best to wait a year (unless he gets a first round guarantee).
Many of the college hoops/NBA draft experts are saying that the 2012 draft is possibly the deepest draft in a long time, with many of last years one-and-done players opting to stay an extra year due to the discussions of the impending lockout in the lead up to the 2011 draft.

IMO, with many of these quality players remaining on the radar of NBA scouts, the chances of an international player from a small school/conference getting a first round guarantee is pretty slim.

Reply #352303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

he will also benefit from the boomers program again this year.

I'd wonder what would have happened to patty if he stayed on another year...

Reply #352337 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

And the accolades keep coming for Matthew Dellavedova.

Delly has now been named as a member of the AT&T Midseason 30 Watch List for the Naismith Men's Basketball Player of the Year Award.

http://www.smcgaels.com//ViewArticle...CLID=205389332

The midseason 30 list was compiled by the Atlanta Tipoff Club's Board of Selectors, which based its criteria on player performances from the 2011-12 college basketball season. The Naismith Trophy, presented by AT&T, will be awarded at the 2012 NCAA Men's Final Four in New Orleans.

Whilst he has not won yet, last year's winner was Jimmer Fredette, and previous notable winners include Bill Walton, Johnny Dawkins, Tim Duncan & Kevin Durant.

Reply #352485 | Report this post

Jedekaih Wilson  
Years ago

NBA teams should be looking at Dellavedova by now. He has such high IQ and is a great player! good luck to him in the future

Reply #354999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754