Mystro
Years ago

Bruton re-signs with Breakers

Breakers have announced CJ Bruton has signed on for another 2 seasons.

http://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/basketball/6573310/NZ-Breakers-re-sign-Bruton-for-two-seasons

Topic #27775 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great for the breakers from a leadership/locker room perspective. Hopefully those knees have two years of cartilage left!!

Reply #354100 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Resigns or re-signs?

Reply #354105 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

Brilliant news for the Breakers. I do hope his knees can handle that length of time. He's certainly slowing down a bit, but still makes an impact on and off the court. Smart enough to realise this and play as a spark off the bench.

Reply #354109 | Report this post

Big Marty  
Years ago

They could always duct-tape Bruton to Alex Pledger when his legs give up.

Reply #354113 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

^ lolz

Reply #354118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surely Bruton has close to nothing left in the tank!

Reply #354119 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

2 years? wow that is a long time for someone in his physical condition

Reply #354122 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol big marty, i just had a mental image of masterblaster from mad max thunderdome.

Reply #354148 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Second season must've been pretty budget or maybe they have strong injury clauses.

Reply #354149 | Report this post

Surmdog  
Years ago

LC you should change your name to spell check I'm sure 99% of the people reading this thread can work out he's sticking with NZ for 2 more years.
Useless input like that should be banded issac can change it if he likes not to suit your ego

Reply #354151 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with Isaac comments however I doubt that would be the case. I am sure there would be a large third party element that would be guaranteed regardless of form or injuries. It still amazes me that NZ can remain under our current cap with their line up.

Reply #354156 | Report this post

greg  
Years ago

Injury clauses, for older players with existing problems, would be worth a packet. I don't know of a team that has any of their players covered since early 2000's.

Reply #354159 | Report this post

Skud  
Years ago

Bruton might have also taken a paycut to get the 2 years. Finish his career in a team that might just win both championships for less money and get an extra year out of it.
For the love of the game you would take what you can get to keep the team together

Reply #354161 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nz has their version of work cover which covers pro sports players. Not the case in oz

Reply #354173 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Since he came back from his time off he has been moving pretty well, harassing on defence and getting in the lane (in slow motion mind you!).

Against Perth he played a massive part in the game, so he should definitely be able to play one more. If the knees pack up after that they might make him an assistant coach.

Reply #354181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I personally would love to see him play out the last 2 years - perhaps in a spot up shooter kind of role if the legs are slowing

Reply #354189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surmdog, get back in your box tough guy.

Reply #354192 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Paul has it there, Breakers want Bruton involved with the team. At the moment it's as a player with a mountain of experience and a nice 3 and solid handles as a spark off the bench. If he takes care of his body and doesn't play massive minutes which shouldn't be a prob with Corletto signed for 2 years also. If injuries force him to retire the club will find a position for him and with Vickerman having a pretty good shot at the Kings job next season it may be as an Assistant further down the track.
Breakers can stay under the points cap because Abercrombie, Pledger, Anthony have been with the club since they were development players so they are rated accordingly and Henry, Boucher don't command many either.

Reply #354234 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Mystro

Abercrombie, Pledger and Anthony are by now surely off of their rookie contracts, or will be at years end? As I understand it, there are no 'Brett Maher' style loyaly bonuses that allow a player to stay at an artificially low points value after the term of their contract expires.

Reply #354320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Abercrombie has one more year under his rookie contract.

Reply #354323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Breakers team next year could be this, Penney isnt enjoying Europe and could possibly come back

Pledger
Vukona
Abercrombie
Penney
Import

Loe/Trueman?
Anthony
Henry
Corletto
Bruton

If that import is Jackson or someone else pretty good they will be very hard to beat.

Reply #354326 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Nope I'm pretty sure they are still on their Rookie contracts.

Loe is a player I anticipate playing for the Breakers in the future. Size and an outside shot.
Be nice to see Penney back but Abercrombie looks to be enjoying the extra shots he's getting.
Some great shooting last night from almost everyone. Corletto's runner on the buzzer was sick and Abercrombie was hitting 3's or getting to the rim and finishing at will. Jackson>Deleon.

Reply #354383 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Please dont insult Jackson by comparing him to Deleon!

Reply #354387 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:54 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754