Chuck Norris
Years ago

Foxtel

What are the chances NBL will be back on Foxtel, it's a joke that games are on so friggen late. We need better coverage

Topic #27815 | Report this topic

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Please no. No way, no hell, no how.

Sorry but other than the fact that Fox doesn't want a bar of the NBL and probably vice versa having the games on pay-tv severely limits the audience to only those who are silly enough to pay extortion prices for it.

While we may not have the ideal situation with what we're getting from One right now at least just about everyone can see the games on TV for free.

Don't get me wrong, I am not against Foxtel because they have some damn good stuff on there I'd love to have. I was one who had Galaxy and then Fox but until they either lower their subscription prices or offer people the chance to actually choose what specific channels they want rather than packages where 70% of what you get is never watched then, for me at least, forget it.

I can't speak for anyone else on it obviously but right now its an expense that's not justified for me and I dare say for a LOT of other people as well.

Reply #354662 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

Had the same problem with my AUSTAR. Only wanted fox and ESPN but had to get a whole package to go with it. Waste of money if you ask me.

Reply #354666 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

In the words of the great Murray Walker (fitting that its Grand Prix time).....unless I am very much mistaken it was having games only on Foxtel that was a factor in the dip in attendances. The TV audience was limited to those who had it and in a lot of ways the league fell out of the TV public eye so to speak.

I honestly don't care if its One or anyone else on free to air who broadcasts games (or even if they can stream the games live online or show them on delay) so long as its not shown on pay TV.

Reply #354669 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

They've been playing quite alot of the NBL lately during midday

Reply #354675 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Will never happen. Both sides don't want it. And as a fan neither do I.

Foxtel/Austars largest NBL audience ever was 35k viewers (I believe it was the Melb V Syd grand final). On FTA NBL games have gotten between 9k - 60k viewers. So no way in hell.

The leagues future is on the internet and having a league pass set up.

Reply #354681 | Report this post

Sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Loved it on foxtel. You pay to get the rights for your show to be shown. And foxtel showed it. Primetime and live. They also advertised it. The NBL might aswell not even be on tv being on at 10:30 at night. Okay fox has a lot of crap you don't want on, but it shows sport live, not delayed like free to air

Reply #354683 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Showing the NBL exclusively on paytv almost killed the league

Reply #354690 | Report this post

aussie  
Years ago

why can't they get a spread of games on fox and free to air say 2 games on fox and 1 on free to air each week.

Reply #354691 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Because the NBL are contracted exclusively to Ten and in fact still have three years to run on that contract after this season.

Reply #354720 | Report this post

Sixtiesrockstar  
Years ago

Having the NBL on Fox didn't't nearly kill the league. Unsestainable expansion cost them, ie Singapore, West Sydney, Hunter Valley, South Dragons. Do I need to go on. If Fox had the rights today they would do a good job promoting the game and they would show the games live. The ratings on One would not be much better than Fox. I don't know anyone who's not a basketball fan who watches the NBL. Do you think Cricket, Soccer & AFL suffer because they are on Fox? They reach their target audience which is the fans.

Reply #354729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get ABC to cover it...they do a better job with the wnbl...

Reply #354745 | Report this post

Woody Venkat  
Years ago

Just wanna see games of the home state live is that to much to ask?

Reply #355459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ONE ratings are about 3-4 times higher than on Fox. There are also almost twice as many games shown on ONE. Even ONE's bad rating games are higher than the Fox average.

Reply #355469 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:51 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754