Flinders80
Years ago

ABL Preseason Tournament Results

Has anyone got any results thus far from the tournament?

Topic #27824 | Report this topic

yo  
Years ago

Woodville and Southern are playing in the grandfinal at 3.15pm

Reply #354755 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Woodville won by 10

Reply #354772 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone have any thoughts about the teams?? What they look like, how the season is looking? Lineups??

Reply #354782 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

men
Woodville came first after beating southern by about 10
West finished third winning against Mavs by about 15
5th Sturt
6th Norwood
7th Centrals
8th South

Women
west woman finshed top going undefeated, woodville finshing second, southern third and south and eastern finshing fourth and fifth respectivly

well run tournament overall

Reply #354802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Surprised with the west women doing so well without Martin Webber Sourlatzis Walsh.

Reply #354806 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

They have a quality group of juniors ( won 18 girls 4 years ago) who have been around the seniors now for a while. They should win the state league this season pretty comfortably.
Eagles may be the only fly in the ointment

Reply #354811 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South women have a very new look team, am i correct? How is this going to go for.

Reply #354823 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

yes south women do have a very young and inexperienced team. They are lucky to have Vicky to teach them the ropes. She is a very good coach. It will be a very long season for them tho. Wish them luck.

Reply #354838 | Report this post

ummmmm NO.  
Years ago

Very good coaches dont loose 10 out of their 12 players during the off season.

Reply #354841 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Neither Eagles or North played. Would they have been competitive?

Reply #354842 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

ummmmmmmmmmmmm No, you clearly have no idea of the situation and why, so I suggest stick to something you know something about.

Reply #354857 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

sturt lost alot of players in the off season too. As did a number of clubs. The only difference with south is they do not have the juniors coming through like the other clubs.

Reply #354858 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

south havent had any quality juniors at the club for years now. And the seniors they had well.. Vicki has taken on a team that is far from where it needs to be in alomost every area, and in her 1st year did better than the previous coach had for several years prior. Give the girls some credit!

Reply #354860 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

can any one answer how Danny Mickan-Winter is after sundays game against southern?

Reply #354886 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

what happened to him??

Reply #354888 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

very good coaches lose players all the time.

Reply #354890 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

refs were terrible on the weekend!! especially in the womens games I watched. So nothings changed. Inconsistant as usual.

Reply #354899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what happened to her, not him. Fell on shoulder got an ambulance called. wondering how she was.

Reply #354905 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

'very good coaches lose players all the time', not sure that's a winner and will fly because although coaches lose a player here and there for lots of different reasons they definitely don't loose the numbers that have occurred at south women unless something is very wrong.
re the refs. Women always get a raw deal with refs hating the job and see it as below them consequentially when they are awake they ref poorly and offer the ball carrier no protection whatsoever.

Reply #354914 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

there has been something very wrong at south for a very long time.
I admire Vicky for taking on such a depleted program. I know I would not.
As for the players who left, half of them were not getting court time, and from where I was sitting, they did not deserve it. Once a number of these players said bye bye during the season, the girls actually started winning and went on to have a very successful 2nd half of the season. Claire Johnson (perth) Kylie Evans(retired) Sarah Peddle (year off) Taya Crockford and Lil Keane decided to play closer to home, and Simone Nelson, well she was always going back to southern with her father bum chums with Willie, and Tameeka Muir has been awol now for years at this club so..
Whoever is bagging out the womens coach should really get his or hers facts straight. You are either an angry parent or possibly an ex coach trying to start trouble??

Reply #354918 | Report this post

____  
Years ago

what i dont get about the refs this weekend was how they were put on games and the teams they were refing they had some sort of connection to.
why would they do this? will this continue into the normal season?
because to me it was pretty damn obvious

Reply #354921 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i am sick of people having a go at south. There are plenty of other clubs that are struggling and have been for a while.
You people have no idea!!

Reply #354923 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

In the 3 games I watched, the refs were horrible. No calls, then soft calls, and lots of confusing calls..

Reply #354924 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New team, fresh start, great girl who are looking to.improe the juniour program, what more can you ask for? Vikki is doing good things with the girla, firat time.playing together this weekend, we cant say they did poorly can we?? Only went down by 9 to westies!!!!

Reply #354927 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any thoughts on the Woodville women's team

Reply #354928 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

she is doing a great job. And these girls are very lucky to have her.

Reply #354930 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

new team, fresh start indeed. Yes it will be a long year for them, but I believe the program will benefit from it in the years to come. This is long overdue for this club.

Reply #354932 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seems like south's are keen to distance themselves from the previous coaching era with constant referrals to " needing an overhaul for years" which considering south were in the five several times under that coach is a strange call. You build clubs from juniors up and until south have feeders from the juniors they will struggle and become another centrals who have to spend big money on a senior team.

Reply #354974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

maybe south could build some fcking juniors if fcking sturt could keep their fcking hands off them.Anyone want to look at sturt u14 girls rebuild for winter season.
Sturt bitch about how lopsided the competition is then when they lose a grandfinal they actively go out and hand pick the best kids from all over the place and their committee lets them do.....a joke

Reply #354979 | Report this post

Filthy Mexican  
Years ago

Anon918, I can assure you it isn't an old coach having a dig at south, well not a previous women's coach at least

Reply #354986 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree'd about that sturt comment. has been happening for years. South are working hard, not only in the abl womens team but in the juniour program aswell. The women have recruited/recieved a few players whom will be good for the team. word is they are happy and looking forward to this season.

Reply #355006 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

At the end of the day this is a pre-season tournament. 4 Games in 3 days is pretty tuff. It really gives no indication where a team is at. lets face it woodville & Southern GF LOL They finished what 6th and 9th last year. No North or Forrestville. IMO if forrestville or North was involved they would no doubt have played off for top spot. lets just wait to see what the season brings.

Reply #355015 | Report this post

More like 4 games in 30 hours

Reply #355018 | Report this post

Verdict  
Years ago

Appears changes at South after the weekend..

Reply #355019 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Changes at south? Explain?

Reply #355020 | Report this post

Rhea  
Years ago

anon#354979,

What about that grup of Sturt juniors that south recruited a couple of year ago. Why is it that South are able to take 8 players from Sturt without issue, but Sturt can't accept 1 south player? idnt see south committee turn these kids away.

Reply #355022 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

in the 5 for several years?? i think we may need to look back about 5 years for that 1. There had been absolutely no progress in a number of ways until last year. And now its time to rebuild. But as mentioned, its tough with such a poor junior program, and no real quality to choose from.

Reply #355030 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think everyone should just worry about themselves and stop having a say at things they have no idea about.

Reply #355034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon #015

"At the end of the day this is a pre-season tournament. 4 Games in 3 days is pretty tuff. It really gives no indication where a team is at. lets face it woodville & Southern GF LOL"

Lets not overlook Southerns performance against West Adelaide - whom were not at full strength (pending DJ's signing)... but to knock them off by 25 is still a strong performance from the Tigers.

Sure they finished 9th last year, but don't be hating for the sake of it

Reply #355036 | Report this post

So which referees officiated games of teams "they had some sort of connection to."??

Reply #355173 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rhea get your facts correct before attempting to stir. those girls came to south after div 1 girls from south were taken by sturt. obviously sturt players already there were affected by players coming in. in this instance rather than go down a division they decided to come to south to fill the gaps. those sturt girls were not approached, it was their decision and their protest at sturt. also got news for you, sturt have taken a lot more than 1 south player along with players from other clubs and get away with it all the time and all those people without their heads in the sand know exactly what is happening and how they get away with it

Reply #355447 | Report this post

Rhea  
Years ago

So not unlike Souths senior mens and womens teams recruiting now then. Or like how South took about 30 players from Southern a few years back. Along with a couple of coaches. So including the Sturt kids I haven't seen south turn anyone away. And its easy to say we dont approach when you organise 1 parent who is moving to bring their friends.

Reply #355456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All I hear is clubs pinching other clubs players.

It's the player that makes the final decision if they stay or go. If a player does decide to move clubs, then you have to wonder why the player has decided to move, better team, more court time, financial incentive???

Using Sturt and South women as an example, if Sturt can offer a greater opportunity to succeed at ABL level, why would the player stay at South. Then why accuse Sturt of pinching players because they have better teams that players from other clubs want to play for.

Reply #355470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again...Woodville n Souther in the Gf LOL, even if they did beat west, do you really thin this will happen during the season??? West will smash them (with or without DJ) A Pre-Season tournament is really just to get some game fitness. Teams are never going to show what they really have. its not hating for the sake of it....its realit. and the 2 strongest teams did not play (ask yourself why)

Reply #355623 | Report this post

what the!  
Years ago

so many haters on here you probaly play for west mate, a win is a win and thats all that matters both teams that ended up in gf fought hard all weekend! yes southern finished 9th and yes woodville finished 6th last season so what,and yes both teams have many new faces and have improved alot! so keep playing your social ball and keep hating cause thats what some teams thrive on..........

Reply #355630 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Woodville will be good to very good this year.

Southern I think beat West in the tournament last year as well and from memory did very well in the tournament. Southern still to finish bottom five this year but have improved.

Reply #355634 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South women coping a bit of stick and probably rightly so but I looked at the results of the preseason cup and if that is any sort of guide South must be a good chance of knocking over Wooodville in the real season opener. Tracey may have some issues but her playing background must give her a coaching edge over the opposing coaches at Woodville who are decidedly green. Souths by 10.

Reply #355700 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

Tracey who?

Vicki you mean?

Reply #355704 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

one, why do south deserve any stick?? People with nothing to better to do with there time. Woodville should be ashamed if they go down as this is a seasoned group and south are starting over with a whole new team of young and inexperienced players.

Reply #355705 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i think you must mean vicki??

Reply #355706 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

i feel sorry for vicki as none of you people have any idea about what she had walked into coaching for this club last season. She pretty much had to coach by herself, with no support at all. And had improved on the 2 seasons before that, with missing out on finals by only 1 game. Great job I think.
its going to be a very long season for her and the girls this year, but watch out for south in the years to come.

Reply #355707 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

agree with the above!!

Reply #355709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What's going on with south and Sturts men's coaching positions?

Reply #355725 | Report this post

Coach roach  
Years ago

Rumours were paul rogers for Sturt and mark Davis for south, then we hear south used don shipway for practice during the week and Sturt are going with ragoni until they find someone.

Tracy yorks phone been ringing hot for both but she didn't answer.

Reply #355732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know why cassella not coaching at south? Shipway would be Southampton best choice

Reply #355749 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Decimated the club in his first year. His work there was done.

Reply #355751 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If that guy ever gets another coaching gig in this life time I would want to know why. A joke!!!!!!!!!

Reply #355754 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could have told you that five years ago

Reply #355757 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I heard head been banned for two years, so spending it looking for his dummy

Reply #355810 | Report this post

yo  
Years ago

i guarantee Tracy Yorke was not contacted by sturt to coach.

Reply #355909 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:57 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754