phil
Years ago

coaching, accreditation and general learning.

hey guys im interested in getting involved in coaching at a local level some time in the future and have been doing some research.

a level one course through basketball sa appears to be sufficient and is cheap and doesnt take too long. has anyone here done one of these? they are re-structuring these at the moment. would that get me into a club?

also is there a particular club that is known for being well run and coached?? my preference would probably be close to the city where i live ie sturt/ nth adelaide.

i will be looking for a volunteer role where i could be an assistant coach and learn alot from watching and helping other coaches, for those of you with some knowledge of these clubs does that seem possible??

anyone with any insights or advice would be appreciated, cheers.

Topic #27879 | Report this topic

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There's 10 Coaching Directors reading this with saliva dripping down their mouth. Several can't stand without covering up.

A volunteer would be welcome anywhere at any club. (probably cherished)

If you have not coached before, then an Asst. Coach's role would be offered to you at any of the clubs.

The best Club to go to? Depends on what you want to get out of coaching and the challenges you seek and also depends if you want to coach boys or girls. Forestville are the strongest girl's Club, but if you want a challenge, then consider South or Woodville who are facing rebuilding challenges. Sometimes being part of improvement is a rewarding thing. For boys, Sturt are the strongest Club, but once again Centrals or West need help too.

I would say go to your nearest Club first if you have any doubts.

Reply #355689 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

thanks very much jack.

yeah, i dont expect to get paid volunteering will be fine i just want to be given a position where

a) i can be around the sport i love

b) can be around people who i can learn from

c) ive always had a talent with being able to communicate with people especially when it has come to training people when i have worked with them, ild like to see if this can translate to teaching in sport.

ild much prefer to work somewhere close to where i live ( kensington ) so i guess thats sturt, nth adelaide or forrestville.

i cant do anything until my gf graduates mid-year as its possible we may have to move interstate ( hopefully not). ill probably start by contacting bask. sa about the course and later then i guess get in contact with the coaching directors and go down and visit a couple of the clubs ild most be interested in.

any good texts on basketball coaching that i could read??

Reply #355692 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

if you live in kensington, you're closest to norwood. try them.

Reply #355711 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

lol, mental blank there. how did i forget norwood. anyone know what they are like??

Reply #355718 | Report this post

DL  
Years ago

Hi Phil,

If you'd like to seriously discuss further, contact Dave L ( Junior Development) at Forestville. Contact details from the club web page.

Reply #355729 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

well winter season is just starting isnt it??

so as i cant do too much until after mid year when i find out if im staying in sa ill probably look at coaching accreditation first and start making some phone calls around julyish.

Reply #355731 | Report this post

leopard  
Years ago

Norwood are in a building phase, Phil. Try Michael Rogers, contact details on club website.

Reply #355943 | Report this post

Well done for wanting to help .
Try your local social basketball clubs they always need help and will give you a go,as coach or team managers.

Reply #379223 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:13 pm, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754