Anonymous
Years ago

What will the boomers need to do to succeed ?

ok, Looks like we very well may not have andrew bogut this year... so, what will the boomers have to do to have any success this year? alot of meat and potatoe players on the boomers... not alot of guys who can carry a team...

Topic #27890 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

They wouldn't have done anything even with Bogut. It's a sad state of affairs how far aussie basketball has fallen given we played off in the bronze medal games at the 1996 and 2000 Olympics.

Reply #355790 | Report this post

Wortho  
Years ago

My team without bogut:

Maric Baynes
Andersen Nielsen Jawai
Newley Barlow
Ingles Drmic
Mills Dellevadova Gibson

Thoughts?

Reply #355793 | Report this post

platypus  
Years ago

Perhaps Out gibson, in lisch if naturalised in time?

Reply #355794 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I am watching the Australia vs spain game from last year... we wont compete with teams on that level mainly due to 1 fact LACK OF SHOOTERS our 3 point percentages for this, and the other game vs spain last year were utterly atrocious.. that sorely needs to be fized. Dellavedova is probbably our best guard...

Reply #355795 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

The Boomers will need a legit 3-point shooter.

In recent years, the Boomers long distance shooting has really let them down.

Thats why I like Crawford.
He is a legit 3 point shooter

Reply #355799 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

clint stenidl can shoot threes

Reply #355804 | Report this post

philly  
Years ago

who said bogut isnt playing

Reply #355805 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

bogut's body says he aint playing.

Reply #355808 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Already ruled himself out!

Reply #355814 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gibson out Markovic in

Reply #355816 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

How far Aussie basketball has fallen?

I think you mean how much other countries have improved!

Reply #355826 | Report this post

Average OKKA  
Years ago

Can you quote an article where he says he has ruled himself out? Don't think so?
Only found articles saying he won't play if he's not fully fit which is understandable. Chances are though he could be fit by July?

Reply #355831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"I think you mean how much other countries have improved!"

Yeah no dice.

Everyone has miracously improved at the exact same time except Australia. If anything a number of countries aren't the powerhouses they once were but the Boomers have fallen right away.

Reply #355858 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Average OKKA,

There would be almost no chance Golden State would allow Bogut to play at the Olympics given they just traded for this $12m+ a year two-year investment who's injury prone and they would no doubt expect to get a return on him next season before he gets to the final year of his contract and demands a trade.

You can put your house on it he'll say he hasn't recovered from his injury and can't risk yet another injury needing to be cherry ripe for his Warriors debut later this year.

Reply #355861 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'll add I don't think the Bucks would've allowed him to play either but the Warriors most certainly wont.

Reply #355862 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

please don't mention adam gibson's name when talking about the the boomers team.....

Reply #355863 | Report this post

Dunkin' Dan  
Years ago

Yeah, Bogut hasn't ruled himself out but he has already started with the pre-emptive excuses. I'm not expecting him to play.
I don't think we have the players to do much damage anyway, but a healthy Bogut anchoring the middle certainly would have at least given the team a class front line.
The guard spots were always going to be our downfall though. I find guys like Ingles, Newley & Barlow to be pretty uninspiring, and the fact that guys like Gibson and Martin are in the point guard conversation is very worrying too.

Hopefully the Opals overcome Carrie Graf's coaching and get a good result, because I fear that watching the Boomers is not going to be pretty.

Reply #355872 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

I still contend Australia haven't really "fallen" as much as you say but are rebuilding and if all things go to plan should have a decent Olympics coming up. We did finish 7th in the last Olympics. I suggest that wasn't as bad an effort as people think considering the countries ahead of us.

Reply #355890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

without andrew bogut... top 8 would be a pretty big achievement..

Reply #355898 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

rohant,

Yeah we came 7th, we got smashed by an ordinary Croatia, smashed by Argentina, flogged a pitiful Iran, smashed a crap Russia, flogged a good Lithuania who were 4-0 at that point and getting ready for the QF's and then got smashed by the US.

With Iran and a pitiful Russian team in our group we were pretty much a lock to finish in the top four in our group and thus a QF berth.

We've been rebuilding for 12 years mate. We just don't have the cattle anymore.

Reply #355914 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I don't think its quite fair to say that we don't have the cattle anymore. Given that the majority of this current Boomers team compete in Europe, should give a fair indication of the level of talent we have.

I believe the Boomers have three main issues, which we're clearly highlighted for everyone to see in the last world championships in Turkey;

- Lack of a go-to player. Someone you can rely on in crunch situations to get you a key bucket.
- Lack of outside shooters. Once a feature and strength of our play, this is now almost our greatest weakness. The fact that Gibson and Martin and getting games as 'shooting guards' shows how far we have fallen in this area.
- Lack of a dominant rebounder. Whilst our 'bigs' are supposedly our strength at the moment, there is not one superior rebounder amongst them. The amount of times we gave up crucial offensive rebounds in Turkey was quite alarming.

And with all the reports around, it sounds like you can scratch Bogut and Jawai from the London squad. So realistically, our team will most likely be the 12 guys who took on NZ in the Olympic qualifiers, plus David Andersen, with one player (most likely AJ Ogilvy) to be cut.

I'm not entirely sure that we've addressed any of these issues since Turkey, but I believe Aron Baynes could be the rebounder we need. He has the biggest and strongest body out of any of our big guys. And I wonder if Brett Brown has enough guts to bring a young guy like Drmic into the squad to try and address our lack of scoring/outside shooting. He appears to be our best prospect at the shooting guard spot, so why not throw him into the mix now as a twelfth man off the bench and see what happens.

Reply #355923 | Report this post

Nate  
Years ago

When quizzed recently about the olympics, Bogut said "to be honest, I haven't given it a whole lot of thought" - not exactly encouraging news!

Although I'm not the biggest fan, I think Crawford could be the answer to our outside woes. Spot up shooter off the bench, kinda like Ng?

Reply #355940 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Vart agree 100%. our outside shooting over a long period of time in the 80's, 90's have been our strength, now its not terrible. in Turkey we did struggle on the boards, also against NZ we struggled at times. Baynes has had a terrific season and should get a gig. We also dont have bigs that can block shots or change shots. Dont think Majok will get a gig but that is his strength. I would give Drmic a go. we have done that in the past with young guys. i think the 96 world champ's we took a young sam mackinnon and Brett Maher.

Reply #355941 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

sitiveni - I agree about the shot blocker. Obviously this is the area that Bogut would have rectified for us. Brett Brown included Majok in the Boomers squad for a Stankovic Cup tournament a couple of years ago, but he hasn't been part of the program since. Hopefully he may develop enough to be included over the next four year period.

nate - there definitely has been a lot of support for Crawford to come into the mix, but I'm not sure that Brown is keen to have any 'one-dimensional' players (ie. bring in someone just for outside shooting). The emphasis with our squad is defence first.

Reply #355945 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Vart, that would suggest that Brett's happy to have a squad that holds the opposition to 60 even if it only scores 50.

We need a proven outside scorer to pull the defence out more so that the bigs can go to work in the gaps. Maybe Delly will do the job for us.

Reply #355955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

for me

the big question is jawai

If he's out of flavor with brown or even want's to play

also whats the status on lish?

is he even in consideration for training camp

hope it's not like when redhage got selected and only played about 3 mins for the whole games

backcourt pg's id pick

mills
lish
delly
marko

Reply #355956 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

hoopie - I wouldn't suggest that exactly. All I'm saying is that Brett is very well aware that our strength at the moment is our defensive abilities, so he's emphasising that aspect of our game.

There's no doubt we need a guy that can both create his own shot off the dribble, and hit consistently from long range. Drmic clearly looks to be that type of player, and will likely be our starting shooting guard for the next 10+ years. The question is whether Brown thinks he's up to the challenge right now.

Anon - I think both questions are probably right. Jawai is out of favour, and he doesn't really want to play. Whilst he hasn't said that specifically, all his recent twitter comments have indicated that all he is looking forward to this summer is going home to Bamaga, and spending time with his daughter (neither of which anyone can really blame him for). If the Boomers aren't part of his future plans, then we just need to move on. Aron Baynes is clearly capable of providing a similar type role off the bench, and he has been a part of EVERYTHING the Boomers have done since the 2008 Olympics, including the YouYi Games last year.

Reply #355958 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Boomers do need a shooter and anyone who thinks Drmic is the answer needs to check the kids shooting % for Boise, the kid has a 38% FG percentage and is a 31% 3pt shooter.

And while Steindl is a +40% shooter from behind the arc and can shoot from deep as well, he doesnt really bring anything else defensively.

Reply #355980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd be happy with Crawford being selected purely because he can at times play with a lack of conscience. Most of our guys these days get the old deer in the headlights look about them where as back in the day guys like Gaze & Heal had heart and kept putting them up.

Even though he's a pretty one-dimensional player I could even handle a guy like Oscar getting a gig although he can at times put the gun back in the holster a little too quickly.

Reply #355993 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon, I think you just named two of the most frustrating players we have at the moment. Five years ago both Crawford and Forman would have been marked as 'Boomers' potential, but neither have been able to quite live up to the mark.

Forman is by far and away our best three-point shooter, no question. But as you mentioned, he is quick to 'put the gun back in the holster'. If I was his coach I'd just be telling him to shoot the heck out of it, and look for him to get 4-5 shots per quarter.

As for London, Forman could easily fill a 'microwave' type role off the bench in some capacity, but again, with BB's defence first philosophy I'm not sure he fits the mold.

Reply #356000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

id take foreman over crawford, were not gonna do to great this year may as well give drimic or some young guy or 2 a look...

Reply #356010 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Australia barely has a skeleton of a team right now, we need someone to blossom really quick or were gonna be a whipping dog!

Reply #356011 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I'd like to see some per possession stats before proclaiming defence as our strength. We've been cut apart quite badly at times. But yes, compared to our offence it is a strength I suppose.

Reply #356021 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

i'd suggest it's not a question if crawford is in or out........brown should be asking him really nicely to please make himself available.

seriously,can't brown and co see crawford has upside on the international stage.
only so much can be identified in the nbl eg....great shooters...good defenders...its the mental toughness/instinct to step up on the international stage that can't be identified in the weekly nbl.

i'm certainly not suggesting that he would have walked into past boomers teams but this one.....yes!

Reply #356035 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We desperatley need a consistent perimeter threat...

Reply #356050 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Lisch & Crawford both need to play.

Reply #356056 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

vart - isn't it possible that brown wants to emphasise the defense because he can't coach offense?

Reply #356523 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754