Anonymous
Years ago

Sydney Kings - Your Thoughts on who should Coach?

Rumour has it the kings had a very extensive list of candidates to choose from and will make an announcement in the next fortnight if not at their end of season dinner.

Candidates;

Brendan Joyce
Aaron Fearn
Darryl McDonald
Bruce Palmer
Damien Cotter
Bruce Bolden
Warren Rosen
Guy Mulloy
Trevor Gleeson
Marty Clark
Shane Heal

Who you think will be the coach next season and bring the kings back!

Topic #27891 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

Aaron Fearne for sure. I can't wait to see him be in 2 places at once!!

Reply #355815 | Report this post

Emu  
Years ago

Shane Heal will get the gig but honestly they were woeful last night....

Reply #355827 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

Shane Hill will get it locked...

why is Trevor Gleeson in there?

Reply #355835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal or Rosen will get gig...I think Dmac would be a good fit

Reply #355842 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

D-Mac would be a good coach anywhere. It's a matter if he's willing to leave Melbourne for a while given he's been there ever since he shifted to Australia.

Reply #355844 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Heal, i hope.. He turned that team around. Give him a full year

Reply #355853 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Who's Rosen?

Reply #355859 | Report this post

the man  
Years ago

Heal, what a joke got some publicity out of it short term but they were terrible he can't coach his record shows that however he can self promote if we go with him no seasons tickets for me and our group

Reply #355860 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

I don't think D-Mac would be given the job simply because if Kings had the intention of naming him coach, they would probably trial him out as interim. so I'd say D-Mac is out.

Reply #355864 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

what about marty clarke.....he'll be looking for a job !!

Reply #355867 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Heal or Joyce both strong personalities who know the game.

I think D-Mac should coach the new Melbourne team so that would take him out of consideration.

Reply #355868 | Report this post

Guy Molloy could get the sixers job, was sounded out a few weeks ago I believe

Reply #355889 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Molloy 2 adel spells more doom & gloom 4 u lot! Marty will get his last year anyway. Marty's 3 year plan is on the money so ease up. Last (by 2 games, last (by 1 game) & next year 2nd bottom. That's 18 years til u win a flag with Clarke - SUCKERS!!

Who's Rosen?

Reply #355902 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Hey tanking worked, we should get that top pick right? :-)

Reply #355905 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Dean Vickerman would be a good fit.

Reply #355918 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about this guy called moose?

Reply #355921 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Orbit - Warren Rosen was an assistant under Moose that went mysteriously missing some time this season... He's a well-respected men's Waratah League coach (got COTY in 2011?)

Up until this last game, I was all for Shane to take the job... I don't know if it was just last game blues, or the curse of the televised home game, but the team REALLY looked ordinary on Saturday, puffing REALLY hard, especially Jerai, and after the game, Shane said that they'd lost the game on Monday, all week the practises were crap, so I think maybe they were already looking forward to their Mad Monday today, as it was a similar effort against the Blaze in last seasons final game too...

Either way, out of the list of those available, I think he should definitely be given a chance for next season, unless there is some Super Coach available on the cheap... He really DID make a solid difference, and as long as it wasn't just that "new coach" magic, I'd like to see what he can do with a proper off-season prep and recruitment...

Reply #355933 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

Thanks & i agree Wooikie.

He talks the talk in the box & i'd like to see him back it up with a full year.

Reply #355965 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Orbit,

Molloy to Adelaide would be gold if Marty was not there , Disciplined. Works extremely hard at practice and games and can recruit and can teach the def, people would have a club that would be hard working and he is renowned as the architect of the dragons offensive end that won them the title

Reply #355989 | Report this post

Anybody who thinks Heal should coach knows little about the game or what the Kings need.

Shane Heal was a great player. No doubt. He served the Kings well and was an outstanding point guard for the Kings, Boomers and others.

When it comes to coaching, the Kings cannot afford another mistake. They have sacked a former player with a close to 40:60 WL for this season (yes, last season was a shocker), and are considering putting another former player in his place who has a 50:50 record with the kings and a wooden spoon in his previous coaching efforts? And Saturday night's effort was a disgrace - no different to the capitulation we saw under Robilliard.

I've heard the talk about the Kings considering Heal as he is "more marketable" but this is pointless. The best marketing is a winning team, and only a seasoned, experienced and talented coach will achieve this - not someone who is learning on the job. If it comes down to choice between Heal and someone like Joyce, there can only be one answer - and that is the experience of Joyce. Just because some of the owners like hanging around with Hammer, does not mean he is the right coach.

The Kings management can achieve a lot to restore their fragile credibility by making a solid choice of coach. If it is Heal, I am not renewing my membership next season - and that’s 4 season tickets less for them. It might seem insignificant in the scheme of things, but the same people we have sat with at the Ent Centre for seasons feel the same way. Our count after the game on Saturday night was 18 Season ticket holders ready to call it a day.

C'mon Kings Management. Prove you are not the rank amateurs you appear to be, and make the right choice of coach. Get it right, and success will follow.

Reply #355991 | Report this post

tropical booz  
Years ago

That's harsh mate.

BTW anon Molloy cant even get Ballarat into the finals in the ABA so how is he a good choice?

Reply #356004 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tropical Booze

Check the roster - while others are spending huge on imports and NBL players, he is getting it done with local talent... Something the 6ers used to have and fans constantly spruik on this forum. He just gets it done, missed by a game with pups, nearly gets Kilsyth with a damn Yth league team, are you kidding me

Money very well spent

Reply #356036 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

KingsSeasonTixHolder: Are you seriously going to say that you and these supposed 17 other people you sit with, sat through nearly two full seasons of the rubbish we had with Moose and you're going to quit over them signing Heal? Sorry, but that sounds ridiculous...

Heal came in and made an immediate impact... The players were playing with more heart, they became one of if not the best defensive teams over those five games before the final and really stepped it up offensively, beating Cairns IN Cairns and putting up wins without our franchise player...

We improved our shooting percentage while keeping teams to a lower one... All this with only a couple of days before his first game... Moose had a season with most of the players as well as a full off season before this one and he couldn't run any offensive sets, he lost the faith of his players and for a supposed defensive player, he didn't instil ANY of that in his players... You put yourself through all that, and you're going to walk if they hire Heal?

If you're going to lay the blame of the Kings players playing the way they did in the final game of the season, when they've got thoughts of Mad Monday in their heads already, JUST LIKE they did in the previous season, then I'm glad you're leaving, it will only raise the IQ of the SEC...

Reply #356067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whoever the Kings managment decide to hire as their coach.. they have already made their first mistake by not resigning Julian Khazzu & Jerai Grant!

Rumour is Julian will not consider resigning with the kings unless they replaced the current coaching staff with coaches that can help him in improve as a player as well as the rest of the players individually!

Its could be another embarrassing season next year for the kings!

Reply #356535 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

You'd like to think that that would be a major requirement of any new coach, surely? If he can't improve his players, he's not much of a coach... But still, always good never to assume anything when dealing with the Kings Management, so good to put it in terms that they would understand...

Do you think though that he's already put the foot down and that's why they bothered to do the coaching change so late in the season, to placate him?

Reply #356613 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:16 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754