Anonymous
Years ago

Big V Talk thread

Any news from the big v?

Got out and saw DV vs Bulleen, DV looked the goods, but could just be that Bulleen was terrible.

Can DV and Ringwood keep up their form?
When are the imports due for Corio, Waverly, Eltham?
Will losing early games cost those teams without their key players?
Any surprise teams/players?

Topic #27979 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Seriously this would be the weakest season of BigV Championship i can remember.

Reply #357029 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I disagree, when all teams are at full strength. This will be a very good season

Reply #357031 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Mate everyone almost at full strengh!

Wav - Dillon only to come back
Corio - Williams due any day
Eltham - No Announcements (few whispers thou)
Ringwood - Corletto back or another import?

Reply #357034 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corletto wont be back, Corio, Bulleen and Melb would all struggle in Div 1. Corio do have Williams to come though, Hume are dads army, DV look good, Eltham wont be as strong, neither will Ringwood or Waverley. Sherbrooke probably will punch above their weight again in a weak field.

Reply #357037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So much hate on this forum. There is absolutely NO comparison between state champ and div 1 - demonstrated by countless markee d1 players making the step up to champ and doing poorly, usually these players aren't even good enough for minutes.

A bad champ team would still steamroll a good div 1 team.

Reply #357043 | Report this post

SeriusBlack  
Years ago

Very interesting seeing Chris Anstey suiting up for Camberwell in Division 1 Men... He would go pretty well in Championship Men I think.

As would Jermaine Williams, Jay Allen, Jordan Canovan, Kris Clark (Mildura's new import), Cameron Mitchell, Russel Permenter and Zac Natoli.

That's just to name a few to be honest.

Bulleen in SCM look to be pretty average to be honest, I still think Waverley would have to be favourites to win it this year.

Reply #357059 | Report this post

Moriaty  
Years ago

Personally, I don't get the whole "import in Div I" thing.

What do these Clubs tell an import to get them to come over here to play in a Div I team ?

And I don't really see the point - why be able to bang in 40-50 points a game but you have to carry the whole team ?

Surely any import worth their salt would be better off in Champ where at least they are lifting overall standard of the competition ?

Oh, that's three questions in a row - nuff already.

Reply #357060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chris Anstey is past, would be run off his feet in champ. I've never seen Canovan play against anything above D1 so can't comment. Warnambool's import would be man handled by the majority of Centres in champ barring Bulleen and Sherbrooke.

Mark Rizza absolutely dominated d1. When he stepped up he was playing limited court time in a bottom dwelling team.

These guys would definitely not be standouts in champ, they would probably be pushing a starting spot and nothing more.

I agree with Bulleen in SCM - Look very average. No structure, 1 on 1 type basketball.

Melbourne look average, but may surprise a few teams.. (Think Sherbrooke in 2011)

Reply #357062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is this a boy thing ? No comments on Champ women ?

I think overall the standard of Champ women looks a bit average this year.

Eltham sorta pulled a fast one last season with Grima, Froggy and Carr ... but a one off, won't happen again.

Barely even a few fringe players from WNBL coming back to play Big V in 2012 - all off in SEABL or getting ready for the Olympics.

The teams that are there will still go hard at it ... but a fair step down from SEABL.

So what does this mean for UPL ... or whatever it will be called ... whenever it will happen ...

Will that help or hinder competition development with Big V ?

Reply #357064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm amazed that anybody would think Zac Natoli could play champ.

@Moriaty: The imports in D1 these days tend to prop up clubs that have weak junior programs and aren't in a position to promote their own players up the line to do the job. This year has seen it step up to a new level with clubs like Camberwell, Warrendyte & McKinnon really relying heavily upon these players for a huge chunk of their production.

However, the MAJORITY of teams in D1 are built around their locals. There's no import in the league who could or would even come close to scoring 40-50ppg. The only one who could come close is Cam Mitchell (Warrnambool) and he's a SEABL quality starting centre and was pursued heavily by Frankston in the off season.

The rest, whilst still quality, are 20-25ppg players and are there to be the difference makers for their teams. In the years passed these players have been what separated the top teams from those just behind.

Reply #357069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Out of the 9 teams in Championship Men this year in most in my opinion 1 has recruited old past it players, 2 have stayed roughly the same but the majority have stepped backwards in the standard of their lineups, the only team that has improved is DV because Moore is back from Injury.
Corio will be very ordinary until they get their import.

Reply #357073 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Anyone have an idea of the salaries of the likes of Corletto and Dillon in this league?

We talking big money or small?

Reply #357074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon I would say both Waverly and Hume city have improved their lineup. Bulleen probably has a better team on paper than last year, they're just not performing.

Reply #357076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dillon gets a lot more than $300 a game. That'd be 6k for the season...? I'd say he'd be closer to 15.

Reply #357077 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

Williams arrives on April 9th, will suit up for the next game against Diamond Valley.

Reply #357080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well i throw it out there, Big V should restrict all lower Div's from having imports. Only the Champ Div should be allowed to have imports. Big statement i know but the big problem with Vic Basketball is the product has become too watered down with talent and money spread too sparsely around, rep clubs are popping up everywhere and there isn't the coaches, money, talent or Refs around to maintain the quality, this is at both junior and Senior level.

The lower divisions should develop their teams from local talent, if that means combining a few teams or associations so be it but there are too many clubs making up numbers and at both jnr and snr levels it's glorified domestic past Met 1 and Div 1.

Even Jnr VC is watered down, 20 teams in VC is too much, only the top 12 are genuinely VC std.

There needs to be some consolidation in Basketball in Victoria. What you will see is the better clubs able to put together better teams and the standard of development and competition improve again.

Before all you people from small clubs get on and "hate" think about it for a while...

Reply #357098 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"A bad champ team would still steamroll a good div 1 team."

Have you ever heard of promotion and relegation?

Reply #357103 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There in lies another problem. There is no proper promotion or relegation system in BigV, clubs enter teams where ever they feel, look at Corio, never played in BigV before and first season straight into Championship div. Where are they at the moment????

There is no pressure to perform to hold your div position, the whole system needs overhauling and is the reason why there are mixed/questionable standards in all divisions.

Reply #357104 | Report this post

BobbyO  
Years ago

I was at a div2 game on the weekend. The home team had an import and was carrying on like a fool. One of the opposition players questioned if he was that good why isnt he playing Champ or SEABL.. all this import had in his comeback book was "Check my Resume" "Check my Resume" This player who was questioning him was a far far better player than the import, As ws most of the opposition team!
Made me laugh abit!

Reply #357107 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That's funny, and if that import is a legitimate import on a sporting visa he is costing that club a heap of money.

Reply #357108 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Interesting.

(Not sure Cameron Mitchell is a SEABl quality starting centre. As some others have said dominating D1 is very different to stepping up to championship or again to SEABL - he competes against no one at BigV D1)

The comments by #357098 make a lot of sense. This league has grown too rapidly, it appears to be focused only on growth and whereas 7 years ago it was growing at both ends (teams from SEABL joining at the top end and teams coming in from the bottom end as well) it's growth now seems like a jigsaw.

My understanding is that the league now basically lets clubs play in any sort of venue, and the example of Corio's "admission" has been well discussed. On the weekend they played six players, against a veritable Dads Army side from Hume City - where is the growth coming from those sort of games? How are these teams generally good for the sport?

Reply #357110 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If you look at the Div's the gap between SCM & D1 is huge.....it is not only the imports but the local content that is the key.

1 or 2 players from D1 could step up and play at the next level but the D1 teams don’t have the depth to compete with SCM teams so hence promotion/relegation wouldn’t work.

People sometimes forget that a number of the so called "stars" of D1/D2 are still playing in those divisions for a reason (queue the loyalty argument!) but it isn’t loyalty, often it’s due to key parts of the individual’s game.

Perfect Example raised earlier is Jay Allen - this guy can flat our shoot but in SCM he has to play the 2 spot and that’s were he would be exposed at the defensive end so he’d be a 5-7 min bench player only not a “star” (No offence to Jay as I rate his game at the D1 level)

Reply #357111 | Report this post

Sugar  
Years ago

For Cam Mitchell to be able to be a go to import in SEABL he needs to develop more of a post game, you can't just out jump everyone in SEABL.

Reply #357112 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ HO, Yep i agree, also the league should be embarrassed by that Hume V Corio game as an example.
I saw it and it was at times ugly and dirty.
Corio are simply too shallow to compete in State Championship and should have been made to qualify through at least Div 1 first. Hume appear to have completely turned their back on the development of their own juniors or any players for the future and just recruited the oldest team in BigV history and recycled known issues. 2 players over 45 for gods sake.

Reply #357113 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

SCM this year is more spread talent wise however the overall level with Trig/Greer/Corletto is lower as there is less NBL level talent.

Top four will still look very similar to last year.

Wav
Ringwood
Eltham
DV/Sherbrooke

Reply #357114 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Are all imports in the lower divisions of Big V on sporting visas?

Reply #357115 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If they're not on sporting visas they're not really true "imports" because they arent allowed to be paid.

Reply #357116 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I know Morningtons import got sent home a few years ago because he wasnt on the right visa.

Reply #357117 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A legitimate Import on a sporting Visa will cost a club a MINIMUM of about $17000 by law to be here for 6 months. If they're on a tourist visa they are not allowed to be paid to play Basketball by Law. I dont class "tourists" as legitimate imports because they are not a financial drain on the clubs and are generally of a low standard anyway.

Reply #357118 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Some are on working visas while there are a couple that are on a sports visa.Some D1 imports this season are easily as good as the Champ men imports

Reply #357119 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

If your not on a sports visa, how are they being paid???

Reply #357121 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

The club sponsors them , they work within the club doing coaching , school programs etc.

Reply #357122 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

No wonder immigration take a special interest in these cases.They should just clean it up once and for all.Sports Visas or nothing.

Reply #357124 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw the Hume Corio game as well,

It seemed like both coaches had young talent on the bench, but could not find a point in the game to actually play them. Both teams had full benches.

Reply #357128 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Oh and 2 of the biggest dunks I've seen in Big v.

Reply #357135 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon 357128

I should clarify, my dad's Army comment was about Hume City, not Corio.

I know Corio have one serious veteran in Hutchinson but don't think the rest of their roster is old.

What worries me is their depth - running six players at Championship level just reinforces the view here earlier that this group did not have the local talent to be put where they were - knowing that Hutchinson and Reardon for example had to be brought across from Geelong and they've needed to get an import as well.

If those kids cannot be played in a game without an import present, they are not good enough, and there is even less chance they will play when the import arrives.

Reply #357136 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Waverley who have won the first three games still have Adrien Sturt, and either Daryl Corletto or another import to come

Reply #357138 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

HO,

Corio Bay are missing both Eric Williams and Luke Osborn. Add both of them and it becomes an 8 man rotation excluding the three rookies.

Also, Weeks 1 and 2 saw 9 players get court time, it was only this week that the rotation was shortened.

Annon #104, where are we at the moment? 1-2 with one of those losses by 4 with less than a full squad and sitting with the same record as Waverly.

Reply #357139 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daryl Corletto WILL NOT be playing big V this season, he is staying in NZ, he posted it on FB.
Sturts a 50/50, same as Dillon.

Reply #357140 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sturt won't be here for a long time because of commitments overseas. Dillon is out with injury

Reply #357141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So effectively Waverley are at "full strength" till approximately mid season when 2 new players "may" step into the line up, Dillon will play where his NBL opportunities take him, until the Tigers announce their new Coach its still up in the air..

Reply #357145 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

JV Coach, I think you misunderstand.

The question all along has been about CB's depth, and why the league admitted (encouraged?) them straight into Championship when they appeared to have little local talent to sustain that.

On Saturday night, covering depth, as you have indicated, with local talent, was clearly not an option. They had six of their 8, from what you have said, and only played those six.

CB have recruited heavily it appears, including open advertisements here, to get this team on the floor.

This is about the league btw, not the team. While the league cannot control Hume City's bizarre recruiting strategy, it does control whether a new team enters the league based on its own strength.

It appears the league did not do its homework here and that it would have been better for Corio if they had entered them in Div 1 or 2, not put the pressure on them to recruit, and let them work their way up to the level they are now playing at.

There is a saying in Basketball that if you want to be a good coach, get a good team. That can be said for this example, if you want to play at championship then get a team to play there - it does not meant it is good decision making to allow/encourage that.

Reply #357147 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There was Big V cameras at that corio hume game on Sunday.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0iJoN8pDSkE

Reply #357148 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wouldn't be too concerned about Corio playing only 6 guys with the likes of Eric and Luke to return next game, giving them at least an 8 man rotation. Will surprise a few sides when at full strength I'd suggest. Not out of their depth but will need to prove to doubters themselves next game against a HOT DV side.

Only team I have seen not up to Champ Men is Bulleen. Very thin and rely heavily on three players.

Reply #357150 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Dillon is resting an injured ankle and has been on the Waverley bench so far this season and ready to play any game. Sturt is playing for Ringwood, and possibly another import to replace Corletto. If the whispers out of Eltham are true then they will again be very strong.

Reply #357151 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

Define recruiting? Of the 11 on the list, the three rookies are a current Stingrays junior, a former Stingrays junior and one who didn't play rep ball as a kid but played in our CBL (Country Basketball League). All three play domestic for our association every week.

Of the 8, I'll leave out Williams as he's an import. Of the rest, Stefan is a former junior and played three years of CBL as well as domestic. Reardon, Osborn, Trevaskis and Walker all played in our CBL teams in 09/10 and 10/11. Hutchinson (who is no veteran, still a young cat) played in the 10/11 and 11/12 CBL teams. All five have played domestic with us since 05. The only new one to our association is Greg Smith. So of an 10 man roster + import, only one has never played for our association in a representative team before this season. That'd have to be one of the highest percentages in the league.

I'm going to leave whether we should be in Championship or not as that was a league decision (we applied for Div 1).

Also, if we are going to be entirely junior based, we would never get a team up. We came into existence in 2004/05 so the oldest kid to start with our program is 20 (2 of the ones above are from that team). How can you keep kids without having a team to go into?

Reply #357176 | Report this post

prince  
Years ago

Who Does Gary Ablett play footy for? Gold??
Jeremy Lin? New?
Bogut? Golden?

It's Corio-BAY not Corio... not too hard for you experts is it?

Reply #357181 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very early in the season with Corio Bay, they have only had 1 bad game and that was against Sherbooke and when you have 2 key players shoot 3/27 you aren't going to win many games. Luke Osborn is very underrated and will be a bigger inclusion than people think running the point and don't forget Eric. Corio Bay are only 1-2 it's def not crisis point at all, we are in the same position as Waverley. Depth is key in this league and only rotating 6 on Sunday didn't help but once they get 2 starters back it will make things a lot easier with players and the coaching staff.

Reply #357184 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

JV,

I don't know that much about all the players mentioned, but by your own admission, you have one, count that, one, former Corio junior in your top eight players.

If Greg Smith is the same guy that used to play for Hume City then he would be older than Hutchinson, who is not a rookie. So you have at least 2 +35 guys running around.

You can't claim mature age guys joining your SUMMER CBL team as part of your program, not when, as Reardon and Hutchinson were, they were playing their serious winter ball at the same time elsewhere, and have been basically all their careers.

Claiming that about CBL would be like Warrandyte saying their import is now their player because he plays MMBL with them! (as has been reported in another thread here).

So you have recruited Hutchinson, Reardon, Williams and Smith to play Championship. If you were in D2 you would not have had to get these guys .... yes? And you have three other guys who have never been a part of your junior program either from what you have said.

Sorry mate, playing in your domestic comp counts for nothing. Matthew Snowball has played in Kilsyth's domestic comp for ages - he is a Ringwood player through and through. People don't play for you in senior domestic, they play "in" your domestic comp cause they choose to have a shoot around with their mates. I know nothing about your domestic comp, but if its like all those other comps in Victoria, it has no bearing on your rep program. Lots of SEABL and BigV players in Melbourne play domestic elsewhere.

But back to the point. Last weekend, you fielded six players in a game, simply and solely because the juniors on the end of your bench could not be trusted to keep you in what looks like it was a tight game against Hume City. Williams comes in, and Osborne (he does not appear to have played a game this year), and those "juniors" of yours are even further down the bench and less likely to play.

Why would your club do that? Why not take a path where you can reward the kids coming out of your junior program by actually playing them (D2) and augment them with some older guys (maybe this trevaskis and walker perhaps) and then build up to championship level over a minimum of 3 seasons?

Reply #357185 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You make a great point HO....... Interestingly CB played all of those players in the CBL and belted all the country teams that were doing the right thing by promoting juniors.... JV should be ashamed to even mention that those players played CBL!!! I have watched the development of CB for some time and all I can say is taht they dont have the correct structures in place to have along future..... Would have been in thier best interest to play DIV 1 or even DIV 2..... I suppose only time will tell

Reply #357193 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The proof will be in Corio Bays results at seasons end. Great to see another side and hopefully a successful one in Champ Men's. Should they have been entered in Div 1 as they requested, time will tell. Remember the Big V wanted a country team in Champ Men.

Common sense would have Geelong step up but they DIDN'T want too. Only concern for Corio Bay is as posted by someone earlier, where will they be in 5 years time????

Reply #357195 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

HO- Your obviously not aware on what CBL is are you? It's not a standard domestic comp, and i think JV coach means that they represented Corio Bay in the CBL (which is a league) and have done so for a number of years in the offseason, from what i gather. From what i saw of Corio Bay against Sherbrooke, that young PG (isn't he 18?) of theirs, Stefan Osborne, looks like he will be the real deal, the uniforms are slick, they look professional as a club, been a good start for them, does anyone know what their crowds have been like?

Reply #357208 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

First game crowd was around the 300 mark and only going to get bigger with an army of fans being introduced in the bar area which will provide a great atmosphere for the boys. Only had 1 home so far this season the next is on the 14th against DV which should be the first game with Eric Williams their import.

Reply #357210 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

HO,

As I noted before, any player who began with the club in day 1 in 2004 would be at oldest 20. I'm not that familiar with the Div 1/2 (so hopefully someone more knowledgable can give me the correct answers), but how many teams would have more than, say, 75% of its players 20 or younger. That's a big ask of players that young. We would have had to get older guys to ensure the team wasn't belted. Guess what? Anyone we would have got would not have played with us before, the only difference is that we wouldn't be playing Champ Men.

Also, you say we only have one former junior in our top 8. How many of the other champ men's have more than 1 player under the age of 20 in their top 8 players?

In terms of the older players, I never said (or intended to imply) they were our players, in the sense that we had developed them from juniors. What I meant was that they have been involved on a representative level in some form BEFORE coming into Big V, versus signing on simply because we had a Big V team. Again, to some it might not much, but only 2 out of 11 players have had no affiliation to our club before taking the floor for a Big V game.

Under Big V rules, we cannot have a youth league team until we have a team in a higher division. It is our plan to have a youth league team in 2013 and a youth-focused CBL as well. Plenty of pathways for our juniors to develop.

Reply #357217 | Report this post

JV Coach  
Years ago

And yes, Smithy is the same Greg Smith from Hume.

Reply #357218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JV, maybe had you insisted to the league on entering Div 2 or maybe 1 first you wouldn't have needed to go to the expense and trouble of buying in Williams for starters, or bolstering your team to be competitive. That's a HUGE amount of money saved, part of that money could have even gone back into 2 decent Australian players with change left over, or put away for 2 to 3 years should you win the low div and have a realistic crack at jumping up divs.
I guess what people are saying is your jnrs would have developed quicker in a lower div given the lower standard and fact they'd have more impact and playing opportunity. Your program will be stronger and more sustainable if its built slowly and steadily.

Reply #357227 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

Big props to Corio Bay. Having played against Corio Bay over the last 2 seasons in the CBL they have a very good group of youth coming through who could definitely play at a higher level. They are confident young kids and have some good coach's and some experienced players that have shown a real committment to the club.
I think they are doing a great job and have a strong future.

Reply #357233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These so called juniors are developing, they get to train with Championship calibre players for the next few years and learn straight away what is required. You need to train/play with the best to be the best. they might not necessarily get court time every game as they are rookies but they get to experience it all plus a few of them are playing VJBL and have other basketball commitments. Who is to predict the long term of player sustainability for 5 years? That's just ridicilous a lot changes in that time with player development, recruitment etc.

After the first home game juniors are jumping out of their skin to be the next Stingray playing Big V champ men. The pathway is CBL u/23 that is going to be our youth league team til we get the chance to play in Big V youth league. The numbers for juniors are there. Also with the new developments of the stadium taking place within the next couple years its going to be one of best basketball stadiums in possibly Vic. It's fantastic for a club that was only established in 2004 to have a Big V team and a complete pathway for its juniors. This is only the start of the Stingray club, its early days. Rome wasn't built in a day.

BTW if the club has the money to purchase a great import, why wouldn't you do it? A lot of NBL players don't want to play in the off season it is known otherwise teams would have them instead of imports. Some of these comments about the club are laughable and have no prior knowledge behind them. If you don't know what you are talking about, don't say anything.

STINGRAYS!

Reply #357236 | Report this post

coach  
Years ago

All the best to Corio Bay this season

Reply #357240 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thanks Coach, hopefully see you at CBL games over summer.

Reply #357241 | Report this post

Oldcat  
Years ago

Thought this was a BIG V thread not Corio Bay only. Don't concern yourselves to much with early results guys, championships last time I checked aren't won in March/April. Not saying CB will win it but good luck to the up and about Ray Club. As a player who has played both DIV1 and Champ Men the full squad would have crushed DIV2 and been heavy favourites in Div 1.

Reardon is a star as proven by his demolition job on Warrnambool in the championship last year, young Stef Osborne is a pure scorer and huge talent and Eric is a proven SEABL champ. When all hands on deck a very very good squad.

Prediction is will compete for potential final play off spot.

Reply #357248 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Do you think any other country teams could compeate in Championship one day, ie Horsham , Mildura, Southern Penn, Wodonga.

Reply #357280 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

If Horsham could put a team together of current SEABL/Big V players that are originally from Horsham they'd be pretty handy!

Tim Pickett, Shane Macdonald, Liam Norton, Aaron Bruce, Shaun Bruce, Mitch Creek

Reply #357286 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

Good Call. They would be good

Reply #357287 | Report this post

athlete  
Years ago

There's an article in the BigV overtime magazine which talks about the amount of Horsham's past junior players moving up to bigger things, leaving them down in Div2, they could have a very good Champ Men's team if they all stayed.

Reply #357303 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Mildura and Horsham yes.Southern Pen maybe in 5 years once they build there program and learn to recruit some good imports.

Reply #357306 | Report this post

Anonymus  
Years ago

Div 1 Players - James Guljas, Tim Gainey, Jordan Canovan, Axel Dench, Marcus Timmons, Chris Anstey, Gerard Leonard, Sam Burch

Div 1 Imports - John Morris, Jermaine Williams, Kris Clark, Cameron Mitchell, Russell Parmeter

If you are saying none of these guys can't play championship or seabl level you obviously don't play basketball and watch from the side.

Reply #358132 | Report this post

JJ  
Years ago

A couple of Mildura players 1. Glen Barlow played with Melbourne Tigers and West Sydney in the NBL and 2. Anthony Labke played at the AIS with Andrew Bogart so there is a few out there also Warrnambol could play championship with a couple of small changes.

Reply #358137 | Report this post

Anonymus  
Years ago

If i'm not mistaken Gainey, Timmons, Leonard, Williams, Morris, Burch, Dench, Canovan, all played at the championship level or seabl and averaged very good numbers.

Only thing that separates levels like Seabl and Championship is that the bench is more deep and polished.

Reply #358208 | Report this post

red 33  
Years ago

Corio Bay will struggle unless they can develop their bench, the coaching staff are more than capable of doing that but they need to do it quick.

Other than that they have a strong core unit and some exciting young talent, they should do fine.

I had the pleasure of watching the practice match between CB and Waverly and both teams had one or two important players missing, and it was a drawn game decided on the buzzer.

Good luck to all teams though

Reply #358242 | Report this post

Tigers supporter  
Years ago

What were the results from tonights games? Any standout performances? Did Tigers improve with Yusuuf back???

Reply #358470 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Stingrays got up against Diamond Valley 93-80. Eric Williams in his first game had 30 points and 16 boards. Stefan Osborne had 19 points, Jase Reardon had 12 and 15. Hutchy came big in the last qtr dropping 4 3's in a row to seal the game and finish with 14 points. It is the first time Stingrays have had their full side with Luke Osborn returning from the States that day. Next game will be a huge test when they face Waverley at home.

Reply #358484 | Report this post

Tigers supporter  
Years ago

Wow. Stingrays surprise a few there. They added how many others last night. Good work by the new guys. I wonder if Williams will improve on those huge numbers or just maintain. Yusuf didn't help too much I saw. It's only early though. Tigers are coming.....

Reply #358538 | Report this post

zmaster44  
Years ago

With the rumours surrounding Dillon and Trigger, will this affect their Big V commitments. We've seen Trigger suit up with Eltham, when (if at all) will Dillon suit up for Waverly?

Reply #360986 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Trigger stating in melb all off season...dillon to suit once foot clears up.

Eltham's import should be cleared next week

Reply #360997 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eltham looking the team to beat once full strength. I haven't seen them play but going by results they look good. Stingrays import Eric Williams wins player of the month and have defeated top teams DV and Hume City. Will be a huge monkey off the back if they defeat Waverley at home on Sunday. Should take care of Melbourne.

Ringwood look to struggling since their import has arrived and Sherbrooke has been very inconsistent.

Reply #361150 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

I wonder if the perception that Championship BigV is weak or that Victorian basketball overall is weak at this level is true?

No one has mentioned the fact that many Victorian kids (other states too) at the elite level may go on to college in the US or other leagues overseas, only to come back and maybe even avoid this level if they are good enough and end up in SEABL or NBL...

More and more kids playing a sport that needs more and more teams and associations doing what CB is doing I would have thought.

Why are we sitting on our hands, being critical of those trying to develop a program (no matter where it is) while many of our best kids drop off and go to footy or other sports seen as offering them better opportunities.

Give it a few more years, then observe, as the 15 - 18 year olds of today come back with college level experience to set the Bigv alight...

Hopefully!

Reply #361154 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Been told Elthams import not your typical import but a guy who just happens to be holidaying Australia who can play a bit.

After 6 rounds i still think it'll finish as per below after finals:

Waverley (To much talent to loose! & proven performers)
Ringwood (Imports + Sturt - They'll come good!)
The rest: Fighting for finals spots
DV (Good crew and solid bigs)
Eltham (Surprise team plus add Tragardh)
Corio Bay (Williams & Reardon could make finals)
Sherbrooke (If they can get on a roll like last year are tough)
Hume (Haven't played the better teams yet we'll know in about 4 weeks were they stand)
Melbourne (Making up the numbers)

Reply #361157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What is everyones thoughts on how the season is going?
The top 6 still looks tough to seperate:
Waverley
Ringwood
Eltham
DV
Corio Bay
Hume City

Hume City's loss to Melbourne last week could be very costly. Corio Bay have won a couple on the trot and play Bulleen, Melbourne then Bulleen in their next 3 games. Ringwood seem to be on fire with the inclusion of Sturt and Bowlin has found some form too. Waverley are a class act and going by Eltham results with and without Trigger, they seem to have a better record without him. Thats mainly based around their double header the other weekend when they lost to Corio Bay and Hume City with him.
I believe DV and Hume City will miss out on the top 4. Will be very interesting to see how it all pans out.

Reply #364485 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I think it will start to take more shape in the next 3-4 rounds.

Top 4-
Ringwood
Waverley
Eltham
Corio Bay

Looks like DV have gone off the boil and Hume might just not quiet have the depth to hang around all year.

Great that Big V have got a close season after last few years having only 2 strong team a chance at winning it.

Reply #364491 | Report this post

Sting What?  
Years ago

Stingrays now in 3rd position, where are all the haters now?

Reply #364829 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Sting rays playing good ball at the moment, however don't crow to early.

Reardon/Williams Combination are close to the best 3/4 combo in the league! However one of those two misses and or goes down and its season over.

That said I think they'll finish 4th and face Eltham or Ringwood in the finals.

Best of luck for the rest of the year.

Reply #364996 | Report this post

Sting what?  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, not crowing about anything (haven't won anything), just giving a shout out to the people who believe we shouldn't have been allowed in Championship.

It is going to be one hell of second half of the season. It is extremely tight from top to bottom, with upsets occurring every week. Bit of a mirror image to the AFL results at the moment.

Prediction for the Top 4 in no particular order:
Corio Bay
Eltham
Waverley
Ringwood

Time will tell though.

Reply #365038 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to Corio Bay this season. Hope this leads to more country clubs trying to get a Big V program up and running!

Credit to you guys!

Reply #377526 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:20 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754