Howdy
Years ago

Kings Fans- pick your team for next season!

Andrew Ogilvy -C
Julian Khazzouh -PF
Anatoly Bose -SF
Ben Madgen -SG
Stud Import -PG

Luke Martin
Graeme Dann
Jason Cadee
Cheap Import Big
James Harvey

That's the way I'd like to see the team shape up. None of my choices are too way out, and are possible to fit in a points and salary cap.

Topic #27983 | Report this topic

alexkrad  
Years ago

Sorry but Kaza has to play C in the NBL imo

I wouldn't be surprised to see Harvey and Cadee both in purple next year

Reply #357158 | Report this post

The_Champ33  
Years ago

The team should keep Jerai Grant as an import.
I love the bloke's athleticism.

Reply #357169 | Report this post

Howdy  
Years ago

Have you ever seen AJ Ogilvy play? There would easily be more dunks/blocks/rebounds in the paint than Jerai Grant. And he's an aussie, an actual Sydney boy.
I agree Grant was entertaining but if you can get an aussie who is probably better for the same money?

Reply #357174 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I can't see AJ Ogilvy wanting to give up his Euro paycheck just yet.

Reply #357175 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

AJ wont come back to the NBL. your dreaming Howdy. he should have been drafted in his first season with vanderbilt. Injury free he will become one of the best centre's in europe and will earn big bucks doing so.

Reply #357180 | Report this post

Howdy  
Years ago

IMO I believe AJ Ogilvy belongs in the NBA as a back-up PF. I think he was robbed of that potential when he went undrafted. He's massive, mobile and smart. But for some reason the NBA seems to have not taken much of an interest in him. He saw very limited Summer league minutes as a Chicago Bull and really did not get the chance to showcase his talent.
Khazzouh was exposed to NBA scouts by dominating in the NBL, he was not on NBA radar when he was "merely playing" in Europe. AJ would be a stand out NBL big, none of the NBL centres can run like him, and he would steamroll Luke Schensher. I say we pay up to get him in a Kings uniform and see if the NBA takes notice the way they did with Khazzouh.

Reply #357183 | Report this post

Arizona 14  
Years ago

Starting Five
Centre Julian Khazzouh
Forward Jerai Grant
Forward Anatoly Bose
Guard Ben Madgen
Import Point Guard that can shoot the three (As team was last in the league this year at it)

Bench
Luke Martin
James Harvey
Small Forward?
Graeme Dann
Big Man?

Reply #357189 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I'm with Howdy, I"d love to see AJ in the NBL, but also can't think that he'd give up playing over in Europe, even though he seems to be struggling to get consistent minutes, which is mind boggling, but it seems to be the trend for our young stars that would dominate over here to be happy with very few minutes over there... Apparently was signed to a 1 year deal with an option for a 2nd year, so if the Kings were able to sign him for even one or two seasons to showcase his skills here, I think it could really boost his worth over there, as what are you going to prove only getting scrub minutes?

My dream team:

Khazzouh (10) // Jeff Dowdell# (4)
Nielsen*/AJ Ogilvy/Grant (10) // Dann (6)
Bose (3?) // Lucas Walker^ (4)
Madgen (6) // Nate Tomlinson (3)
Import PG (10) // Martin (5)
Total = 61pts

Possible local college returnee fillers:
- Paul Brotherson (F - Metro State)
- Josh Duinker (C - Richmond)

* - Already has a year left on contract OS, but it IS a dream team after all ;) Neilsen fills the need for an experienced leader, still has lots of talent and will get the best out of Jules at training... Same with AJ, he's a lot more aggressive than Jules, likes to throw it down, can shoot well and I think would eat the NBL up...

If all else fails, getting Grant back is still a great option... Exciting player, hard worker, capable of big numbers if played right, knows the team and being an excitement machine, the fans really love him...

# Sure, Dowdell wouldn't make too many dream teams, but seeing as how the starting five is pretty solid/expensive, getting a player that can come into the line up and with the other 4/5 not screw things up, work hard and knows the league, is valuable... Being a NSW boy helps also...

^ Walker might not be the cheapest option or might not even be keen on leaving Melbourne, especially for a back up role, but out of the existing talent that hasn't been re-signed yet, he's cheap on points, an exciting player and again, knows the league and works hard...

Filling those back up spots will be key, as currently, that starting 5 is looking a bit tight on the old budget...

Reply #357190 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Whoever is saying Ogilvy would get more highlight plays than Grant has got a great dealer!

Reply #357200 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

G - Aaron Bruce: Was playing really well before his injury and providing he is back healthy, the Kings should snap him up. They should be able to secure him on decent money.
G - Ben Madgen: I like this kid. He is a basketball player who has great feel for the game. He deserves to start but there is depth behind him with shooters.
F - Matt Nielsen: I know he does not play much as a small forward but he is someone I think Heal can bring into the team then they can roll with a three big rotation. He is a leader and tough player.
F - Jerai Grant: An athletic project player, his game has expanded all year and he can be relied upon for big boards, blocks and jams.
C - Julian Khazzouh: He struggled a little on return from his Warriors trial but he is still an All-League talent.

G - Jason Cadee: I think he may be frustrated with limited game time on the Coast and he could be lured south with a promise of some consistent playing time.
G - James Harvey: This is probably a long shot as I don't yet see Harvey willing to come from the bench and play limited minutes. IF he would, the Kings would have a legitimate scorer.
F - Anatoly Bose: This kid is exciting and deserves to start, but with Nielsen he won't start but he will play starters minutes. He's an excellent scorer and rebounder for a perimeter player.
F - Graeme Dann: With the three main bigs I like Dann as an undersized four man. He doesn't need a big role but he can come in and defend a few spots and pass well.
C - Tim Lang: A super cheap, defensive minded centre who can give a few fouls and won't be a distraction to team chemistry.

Maybe a couple long shots in Cadee, Nielsen and Harvey but getting them and keeping Grant and I feel this could be a contending team.
Scoring comes from Khazzouh, Bose, Madgen, Harvey minaly while Grant, Nielsen and Kahzzouh dominate the boards. Bruce and Cadee are solid playmakers as is Dann when he is on song.

Reply #357206 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Hey anon that team would be way over the salary cap, probably points also. Nielsen/Khazzouh really expensive with Grant/Cadee/Harvey not playing for peanuts.

Assuming Madgen is on ok coin after his roy win and if you signed Bruce up hed want 100k at least also.

Better off chasing Cadee as a starter, grabbing a combo guard who can 1-3, play pg on occasion and shoot the long bomb/defend. re sign grant/khaz on good money. Nielsen is not realistic contracted in europe on big money. Season after maybe....

Also I wouldnt touch Harvey as hes injury prone but maybe target 1 of Melbournes excess small forwards for the vacant 3 spot.

Agree?

Reply #357214 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Ohhhh Bose slipped my mind, hes ya 3 man! and a great prospect.

Khazzouh/ Lang or college returnee
Grant/ aussie veteran type?
Bose/Dann
Madgen/Import who can play 1-3
Cadee/Martin

Not a bad team here and more realistic. Capable of playoffs and more. Heal the issue, get a good assistant coach in I say if cash permits. Perhaps Alan Black who is renowned for defence and discipline.

Reply #357216 | Report this post

lollipop  
Years ago

Howdy has a great dealer! thinking ogilvy will come to nbl haha and saying hes similar to grant. you smoking some good stuff man.

AJ is a million dollar player in europe and you couldnt rule out nba in the future.

Reply #357224 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

I dunno lollipop, you're smoking some pretty good stuff yourself if you think the Kings will IMPROVE and make the playoffs with a third year, third option PG running the show and bothering with a combo guard coming off the bench...

Did you not pay attention to the last two seasons where we were one of the only teams without a Boomer or import quality PG and suffered for that?!?

Mental...

Reply #357246 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Funny no one has mentioned re-signing Cooper, I thought as a back PG he is servicable in this league as at least he can play D!

Reply #357247 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

@Tigerwatcher - I think it's a forgone conclusion that Cooper won't be back next season... with the need of an import PG as Shane has repeatedly said, and Martin already signed, I doubt that Coop would be re-signed, and if he was, it would be at a very last minute thing if no-one else could be, and he'd barely get any minutes...

It's a shame though, as while he wasn't the best at running the team, I agree that his defensive effort was strong all year, even if at times it wasn't that effectual, he always gave 100% on D (with his crazy eyes) and actually made a few nice outside shots when left open late in the season...

It will be weird seeing him playing for another team, but I hope he gets another gig somewhere...

Reply #357256 | Report this post

boss  
Years ago

be better off just keeping iti and increase his minutes than sign either dowdell or lang. he's from sydney too.
not sure about cadee either, he didnt do much at all this season. nate tomlinson would be ideal as backup PG

Reply #357298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I dodn't realise this was a fantasy thread. So many ppl here with no knowledge. neilsen? Khozouh is out of contract. ogilvy?Harvey has a serious career ending injury, why take the risk. Dann getting paid to much.Bruce gone Cadee no. Lets see how he plays in the SEabl. Dowdell about to have hip sergery.Keep Grant. Heal has a lot to do in a short time

Reply #357331 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Are you the sort of person who makes a day at the beach sound like a hectic adventure?

Reply #357333 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Lol... So many people in here Anon that can't spell worth a crap, too... Nice effort ;)

Didn't know about Dowdell going in for hip surgery, so that's a good tip... see how helpful you can be when you're not acting like a tosser? lol...

Ogilivy is a HUGE ask to get, but it's reasonable to hope for, as he's just wasting away on the bench, playing about 5mpg, and at one point on the twitter was mentioning that it was a bit hard going during that low minutes time...

I made my case for the positives of him coming back, and someone else mentioned that Khazzouh got on the NBA radar after dominating here, not getting rubbish time overseas... It's a long shot, but worth the Kings trying...

If you think you can do better, put your money where your bitching is and suggest your own line up :)

I'm wondering really if Boss has a point with keeping Iti on... All he lacked was minutes and confidence last season, maybe with a NZNBL season for Wellington and actually getting regular minutes and being able to improve with actual court time, might be worth it...

Reply #357360 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:11 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754