Interested
Years ago

Best Victorian Club

What is considered to be the sturt and forestville of Victoria?
If you were going to start playing for a club which one would you go to?

Topic #28050 | Report this topic

LC  
Years ago

Off the top of my head, the biggest Associations would include:

Kilsyth
Knox
Dandenong
Eltham
Frankston

Other large Associations with sustained success at the top level include:

Melbourne
Bulleen
Nunawading
Diamond Valley

Others worth considering that are starting to see success at the highest level or those who have had success at the highest level previously include:

Hawthorn
Werribee
Sandringham

I've probably missed a few on this list but really I think I have covered off the largest and most successful.

Reply #357969 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

LC, you've covered off the largest basically...

I have always been impressed with what Blackburn, a tiny association, have been able to achieve, particularly in boys basketball. Likewise McKinnon have done well in the past.

I do not think Frankston deliver considering their base. Knox at senior level have remarkably few of "their" players playing for them. Melbourne and Bulleen have reputations as great poaching clubs (perhaps that does make them Sturt or Forestville!).

Reply #357978 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

In no particular order but the "power" clubs of Vic over the last 20 years are:

Sandringham
Kilsyth
Knox
Dandenong
Eltham
Frankston
Nunawading
Waverley

All of these clubs have strong Juniors & Seniors with large talent pools to call on...Can't go wrong if you pick any of these clubs depending on were in Melbourne your living.

**Note i know certain age groups or stronger than others etc but as a general rule they always are in VC**

Reply #357984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sandy
Geelong
Ballarat
Bendigo
Franga
Knox
Kilsyth
Nunawading
Dandy

Are generally pretty good with the better facilities and coaches etc

Reply #357991 | Report this post

BB  
Years ago

Waverley only come good in 16s and 18s really, their really young juniors generally struggle to make VC which is actually very surprising.

Bulleen deserve more recognition, they don't actually poach players it is more so the players follow success and of recent times that is certainly what they have been seeing.

Frnkston is being overrated here, a lot of teams but really not all that much quality.

Reply #358002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hahaha Bulleen don't poach players? Maybe not in the boys program!

Reply #358003 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston are on the right track with new Executive Officer and Bill becoming Head of Basketball Operations. Will take at least 3 years to get that program back to where it should be.

Reply #358013 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

Should note that Bulleen is by far the most successful club in Australia at the U14 National Championships. Punch well above their weight pretty consistently given that they are a relatively small association sandwiched between other relatively bigger associations (Diamond Valley, Eltham etc).

Reply #358020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In terms of having junior association players on their list that actually play - Albury/Wodonga : )

Id say Knox, Kilsyth and Dandenong are the big 3

Reply #358033 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

So do you mean Albury, which is in NSW, or Wodonga which is in Victoria?

Which, btw, are separate associations....

Reply #358036 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If I wanted my child to have delivered to them a great basketball development program co-ordinated and delivered by top people then Sandringham would be worth looking at.

Reply #358042 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston have every age group U12's to U20's
Boys and Girls in VC and some very good coaches.
All have to play in local domestic comps to be eligible to play REP, so no poaching.

I think they do a fantastic job and should be rated in the top 8 clubs in Vic

Reply #358049 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Anon, having to play in your local comp does not mean no poaching. That is a stupid statement.

You go and ask the player to come play rep for you.
You tell the player they have to join a local club in order to play rep.

Parent moves their kid from Chelsea, or Cranbourne, or Southern Peninsula, or wherever... and comes and plays for you.

I am not saying Frankston poach, I am saying playing local comp has nothing to do with whether you are poached or not....

Reply #358058 | Report this post

shaggerhislop  
Years ago

Melbourne will most likely take out the 16's, 18's in Championship......surely they deserve a mention...

Reply #358063 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Agreed...and for anyone to say none of these clubs do not "poach" at all means that they have their head in the sand...

Reply #358064 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

the worst clubs for poaching are:
Waverley
Nunawading
Bulleen
Melbourne
Dandenong
Eltham

Not across the board but there are coaches in each club who are just rogues.
At least the changes to the VJBL rules make it harder now.

Reply #358065 | Report this post

Years ago

after the easter tourney - all vic are the "best" - very average results for the SA units

Reply #358074 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

juniors:

Dandenong and Nunawading.. every year, every age group top 3

Reply #358078 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

To Astor, I think Bulleen girls are one of the most successful clubs at U14 nationals, I wouldn't say the boys are though.
Every club values success in a different way, so its pretty hard to determine who the strongest club is. Changes every season depending on player transfers, top age/bottom age, coaching staff etc.

Reply #358080 | Report this post

hydrodude  
Years ago

078, I assume you mean girls. Nunawading boys are a mess.

Reply #358091 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Depending on where you will be located as travel often can be an issue with practice. Some clubs that continually punch out talent at most all levels

Dandy
Melbourne
Bulleen
Diamond Valley
Ballarat
Waverley in the older age groups

Reply #358099 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dunno how Waverly can b mentioned as strong. has always been terrible in comparison to the big 3.. Nunawading dandenong and Melbourne tigers.. Ballarat and bendigo and geelong always strong from the country

Each age group obviously has that one random team that may b surprisingly strong in that age group. But every year every age melb nuna and dande always have a strong first team.. Melb seem to dropping off in last few years

Bulleen are terrible in boys
Diamond valley make up the number (except the odd year they might have a strong age group randomly) etc etc

Reply #358120 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nunawading still gets mentioned in the top 3 ? Bulleen program way better than Nunawading - Diamond Valley making up numbers, check the development of some juniors over past years , Clubs, State and Oz reps boys and Girls. Some clubs do a good job with juniors and some with Seniors - Some both.

Melbourne gets good results and develops players, Diamond Valley continually have good results with development of players at high level, Bulleen still gets high results at both ends. Waverley still get results also

Reply #358228 | Report this post

eagles nest  
Years ago

Reply #358291 | Report this post

Temerity  
Years ago

Bulleen and Melb are the clubs that poach the most. You only have to look at Bulleen 18 girls 1. I might stand corrected but I'm pretty sure they have 1 girl from their u12 program in that team, all the others have moved to that team to try and play WNBL.

I have much more respect for clubs like warrandyte, blackburn, altona etc who battle the bigs clubs and develop their own talent.

Reply #358427 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Well, I guess all clubs can be guilty of poaching just a little bit from time to time, however players do some times leave one association for another for the right reasons...

Larger associations can attract the better players simply because the competition for spots on teams are more competitive and you don't want to be the big fish in a small pond all the time, good players want to prove themselves against the best!

There is a lot to be said for associations that develop their own, unfortunately Melbourne is in a position where they realy don't have a domestic competition to call their own so this may go against them in the circumstances.

So when we judge something like this we should look at domestic development, representative depth from under 12's up, regular VC competativeness, US college participants, BigV or SEABL equivalent and even National level production along with integrity of local junior development within a solid coaching structure.

In that case I believe that the top 10 best Victorian clubs going around (in no particular order)would have to be:

Knox
Diamond Valley
Dandenong
Bulleen
Kilsyth
Geelong
Frankston
Ballarat
Bendigo
Nunawading

Melbourne would rate a mention if it had a vibrant and recognised junior domestic program (sorry)...

Geelong recently merged under their SEABL Supercats program, therefore their inclusion in the top 10!

Reply #359160 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:39 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754