Jack Toft
Years ago

R3 ABL Action

Mavs-Rockets
Women: Someone will still be without a win after this game so this could be one desperate game by both sides. The balance might lean Team Madgen's way if Jo doesn’t suit up, but Tess can’t keep contributing 50% of the score game after game. Plenty of celebrating when Mavs get a win, 'cos as we all know "they’re not used to winning at home". At least next season they might not be the longest road trip in the competition.
Men: Not a good start for the Mavs, but the Wockets have got all after burners on. Pero holds all the aces in this poker game and doubles as the banker. Mavs can only pray he forgot to remove the Joker when he shuffled the deck. Roll on R7 when the Rockets clash with the Brads.

South-West
Women: Another game where both teams are searching for a win like a missing sock. South have their demons and the West women are scoring short by about 10 ppg at the moment. I think South are gelling as a team and might just get over the line by a moustache.
Men: South will be hoping DJ is not suiting up for West. Then again, they might. West undefeated and South yet to win, probably safe to bet that’ll be the same Sunday morning.

Norwood-Southern
Women: Norwood Lightning are the obvious benchmark in this competition and are set to show that tonight. Watch their eyes carefully. You’ll know the game is over and Southern are finished when Norwood have their eyes rolled back like a feeding shark
Men: Norwood are feeling the impact of retirements and are in all sorts of pain at the moment. “Tiger” Tanis 47 points last round was almost as much as some teams and could be in for a bit of attention this week. Wonder if the refs have brought their Labradors. Southern might be bottom 5 material, but I am thinking the lack of live stats might be a deliberate ploy to get bums on seats. Southern all the way in a game that could have more fouls than a Mallala chicken farm.

Sturt-Centrals
Women: GOTR. Sturt effectively have a brand new team this year and Centrals are building on last season's success. Centrals have 4 players averaging +10 ppg and Sturt are lucky they have Amy, who has been their star. Centrals definite top 5 this year and need to secure games like this to prove it, but Sturt give away wins like a millionaire donates to charity.
Men: Sturt in the lower half of the table is not a place they would like to be. The “Tom Daly Show” needs more than one supporting star, whereas Centrals don't have many stars, but they do have a “Killer” to unleash. Sturt's shooting is probably the only thing that will save them, but a Centrals win is always possible. As they say in the States “It’s Miller time!”

Woodville-Forestville
Women: Woodville girls are off to a great start, but tonight they face a challenge greater than trying to cash a dodgy cheque at Cashies. No Borrego for the Eagles yet, but there’s still plenty of time to get the minimum games up before finals. Forestville and titles go together like a union official and a credit card on an overseas trip. Plenty of spending tonight. Ker-ching!
Men: Woodville play “The Brads”, who will be out to maintain their momentum in the right direction. The Brads are as cool and hip as Perry Como groupies and should show their swagger tonight without looking too flustered. The Brads might finish this season with a clean sheet with ticks in all boxes.

Topic #28114 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rockets to unleash their import for the first time against Mavs plus rumor off another big inclusion in several weeks might make R7 worth waiting for. Might be a GF preview unless DJ has got bigger shoulders to carry the Bearcats

Reply #358954 | Report this post

Rock  
Years ago

Well done as usual Jack.

I laughed at your reference to the Labradors, but I was thinking an airport drug-sniffer wrt a particular player, ha ha.

But then I realised you were talking about Seeing-eye dogs for the refs.

My bad, but both still a giggle.

Reply #358974 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I think they use beagles these days

Reply #359030 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I wouldnt count the west men out yet. Both games they havent had a full team and yet still got the W.
In the first game they were missing: Evans, DJ, Rankin and Joel Spear
In the second game they were missing: Evans, DJ, Braithwaite and Joel Spear

hopefully the women will get there acts together and get a couple of wins

Reply #359032 | Report this post

The Answer  
Years ago

FYI : beagles are used for quarantine. Drug detection tend to be labradors or even welsh springer spaniels.

Reply #359095 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Thanks for that. I didn't even realise there was such a beast called a welsh springer spaniel, but thanks to google.....

Reply #359179 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

That's a pretty decent win in ot by woodville over the eagles.

Wow

Reply #359274 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

That and the Panthers win over rivals West!

Reply #359275 | Report this post

Rog  
Years ago

Sturt over Centrals in the men, Centrals over sturt in the women. 2 good games to watch.

Reply #359277 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hah, did you check out how many coaches Sturt men needed to do it?

Reply #359287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

And does anyone know the results from mars??

Reply #359289 | Report this post

lo89  
Years ago

#287 - who actually is the Sturt coach?

Reply #359295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Everyone

Reply #359301 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With Majok Deng out Forestville were going to be vulnerable.

Other than Tucker who else would rebound for them?

Reply #359303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames men by 1 point over Tigers on the buzzer

Reply #359306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames were 10 down with under 2 mins to play. They may have lost some players this year but jeez they still know how to get it done in the clutch.

Reply #359308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cant get stats for the norwood game. Who played well?

Reply #359330 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the hell are Norwood doing with their live stats. Bloody sort it out. It can't be that difficult if every other team can get it right.

Reply #359333 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What the hell are Norwood doing with their live stats. Bloody sort it out. It can't be that difficult if every other team can get it right.

Reply #359334 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Reply #359338 | Report this post

Observer  
Years ago

Men's Norwood game Giovine & Matthews were standouts. Krause Ford & Davidson were consistent. Good game to watch

Reply #359347 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I wonder how many games Jack Toft will count Woodville out for the count before the tip has even happened...

Reply #359348 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Actually, didn't I say in R1 that Al would be beaming? They did very well last night against the Brads.

Perhaps tipping against them inspires them onto brilliance !

Reply #359352 | Report this post

Whats up  
Years ago

I went out to watch the Woodville v Forestville match at St.Clair Saturday night. The mens games wasnt bad between the basketball and the fights it was an exciting night out but what in hell was with the court side announcer I felt a little embarrassed for Woodville some of the comments were ridiculous and his dull voice with his changing accents was enough to put you off coming to watch another game.

Reply #359455 | Report this post

Vodka 94  
Years ago

How long has it been at any time of the season in the women to see Woodville Centrals Southern in the five with west, North, Sturt outside the five

Reply #359464 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

its good to see. But unfortunately those teams you have mentioned have lost a number of quality players over the pre season. I agree with a previous post, Norwood, Forestville and Centrals are really the only true quality teams this season. But good on them, its good to see.

Reply #359474 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood had a fright Saturday night, they wouldn't want an injury to Foley, it would see them back in the pack very quickly

Reply #359478 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Would be interesting indeed. But the other 4 WNBL players for Norwood should have it covered.

Reply #359483 | Report this post

Dirty deeds  
Years ago

Forestville wouldn't want an injury to Thompson
Southern ...Ciabatoni
Central...Mahoney
Eastern...Madgen

etc etc.

The league needs more talent, not less, so that 1 player doesn't impact a team.
Be thankful some of theses WNBL players come back to our league for the meagre money that is offered!!

Reply #359485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern have some good young talent! Anderson, Ciabatoni, and Fawcett, biggest problem for southern is those girls are 18,17 and 16! Nice problem to have if you can keep them at the club

Reply #359488 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

yes southern do have some talent for sure. Not sure if they will stay there tho. May develop more under a better coach I think.

Reply #359492 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Yes the league needs alot more talent, but I disagree, 1 player can make a huge difference to a team, and 2 makes a team these days.

Reply #359493 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is quite amusing :P first time ive been on this forum and it seems to be dominated by women, unusuall.

Reply #359611 | Report this post

tragic  
Years ago

One player can make a big difference North have yet to have Jo Hill this season and with Lauren Mansfield to return soon its fortunes may be on the up time will tell

Reply #359769 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:15 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754