Ingles13
Years ago

Cadee signs with 36ers for two years

2 year deal

Club announced it over facebook

Looks like the 6ers are stocking up on guards this season!!

Topic #28307 | Report this topic

KB3  
Years ago

as in Crosswell and Cadee

2 is stocking up?

Reply #362401 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

If Marty is good for one thing, it's signing young aussies from the AIS.
Creek, Weigh, Johnson, Cadee. He's paying his way in that respect.
Challenge is to keep them all together and develop them together. And to surround them with the right types of experienced players.

Reply #362402 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

A shocker! Kid is very average at best!!

Reply #362404 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

great news.

always good to boost your aussie talent quota.

Reply #362405 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Give hime the starting PG role and let me develop next to an import scorer.

Reply #362408 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

No Choice when you have No $$$$.36ers have tried to buy Championships and got a couple, but those days are gone.
Youth is the Key!!
Thanks again SOS.

Reply #362409 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

cmon orbit really???

he will add another scorer, can handle the ball as well. he isnt a star yet but is very young. good to hear 2 years as i think he can really step up with-in that time and hearing that him and dj are going to be paired together for that time is great.

dj/ ?^

?+

creek/ weigh

import*/ ng

cadee/ crosswell

*add an import guard 6'1 -6'4 that can guard, handle the ball a bit and can score without demanding the ball in his hands. we definately cannot bring in another shrimp at that position, needs to be able to defend as that backcourt so far isnt super defensive.

^either we get shensch, or we target a 6'10+ import ( preferably an inside banger if possible).

+ if we get schensh then either we go for a second import, ild go with a cheaper priced back-up inside banger 6'10+ guy, or we forget about the second import and go for the best young similar aussie. either way we have scoring punch already ild be looking for a low post body that can defend and rebound and generally harass.

Reply #362412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dj will be playing the 4. Great signing by the club and when the other signing is made public cadee's signing will make sense.

Reply #362414 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

eh, was never really impress with him. Hopefully he plays well here.

Reply #362416 | Report this post

KET  
Years ago

Isaac proves trust worthy again. I'd imagine the 36ers have Schenscher just about signed up.

Any news about Ng? His signing probably hinges on other moves, but it would be nice to have him back in the team, always loved the guy and his shooting ability.

Reply #362417 | Report this post

phil  
Years ago

we definately need ng, we need some 3 point shooters to go with mid-range weigh, inside dj and post shensch. also creek and cadee. ideally ng and the import guard needs a 3point shot as well, otherwise you bottle up the key with that team.

Reply #362423 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I don't know what the 36ers are going to do now.

They have dug themselves a hole..

- If they go out and get an import PG, then you have 3 PG's (so no point getting Cadee in the first place)

or

-If they start Crosswell or Cadee..I am of the opinion that that PG rotation will not be enough to win games (PG imports will exploit this matchup all day)

Reply #362427 | Report this post

The Journo  
Years ago

Ubaka would be a good signing as an import SG, who can play the pg if required!

But I would go for an import more of the Lisch mould.

Reply #362429 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

phil, seeing Schenscher's assist numbers in Townsville (and Crosswhite's in Cairns), I agree that outside shooters will be important. I think the back-up SG spot might go to Ng or Herbert.

Cadee's 3P% last season was about the same as Ng's, and Lisch's for that matter.

MACDUB, plan would be for Crosswell/Cadee then import SG.

Reply #362431 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

lheard Clarke was at the Adelaide childrens hospital waiting to sign 2 new players . hoping they will save his no career future ?

Reply #362433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone have a feel for what names are in the mix to cover the 4/5 positions?

Reply #362434 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

So is Daly still on the roster or is he gone now?

Reply #362438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Daly was only ever a development player, could still be on the extended roster in that spot but they will be last positions to be filled.

Reply #362441 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

They should get Deng as the development player. Training along side of DJ and Schenscher would be perfect for him

Reply #362444 | Report this post

Young Gun  
Years ago

A good signing for you guys. Congrats

Reply #362445 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Not a bad idea KJ, he has proved his worth in the ABL. Look at how the mighty Eagles turned into finches when he was out.

Reply #362446 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's (Deng) going to college. He was training with them last season so I think they maybe did offer him a DP role.

Reply #362448 | Report this post

Simon  
Years ago

Nice pick up! Anyone who thinks he can't play at this level are kidding themselves....

Reply #362450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why do you people love NG? He got flogged by a 17 year old in an ABA game two weeks ago! Daly gone in my opinion, over hyped not up to NBL standard

Reply #362453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Did anyone see state u20s two years ago Maynard and Daly killed Cadee See if anyone has a copy of the game

Reply #362454 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Kid doesn't play D -sorry all offence!!

Reply #362457 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Didn't know the ABA was getting a new team, The Adelaide Junior Sixers. Hope tickets will be $5 to go watch them.

Reply #362460 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is nothing special, should be a bench player. You cant tell me there's not a local with the same ability.

Reply #362461 | Report this post

Muzz Buzz  
Years ago

EC why do you bother supporting the 36ers at all.

Reply #362463 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

If he's coming in to start and they'll surround him with a high scoring SG with size who plays D and a brute 4 man who will just rebound and play D I like it. If he's just coming in as another backup not so good, although makes some sense if they plan to give him a year to build, learn from Crosswell and turn the team over to him (all going well) in 2013-2014.

Orbit- sure he'll prove you wrong this year. He's a true point guard who's in need of opportunity

The Journo- agree 100%

Have written more about the signing on today's blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/05/cadee-shacks-up-with-36ers.html

All in all a very positive signing by Adelaide

Reply #362464 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee is a great signing. Can't believe people are bagging it. All we need is a player who is unselfish to bring the ball and feed dj and Luke. Cadee and croswell can do this. A sg (mee farley) that can hopefully shoot as well as warren but better defender and Williamson who can back up the other talls with rebounding and some toughness.

Reply #362465 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Because I want them to be great again as they once were. I take my hat off to everyone who is putting up with year after year of mediocrity and hanging in there in the hope that greatness will come again. Its early days yet if we are to treat this coming season independently of the previous 2 years especially, so I am still hoping for some great signings. Besides my continuous support just as everyone else in buying a season ticket year after year is what keeps the club alive. Where there is life, there is hope.

Reply #362466 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which other free agent within budget would you have ec? Luke will be confirmed soon so our big men our done. Depending on imports this team will be a massive improver from last yr. when crosswell played last yr we were a much better team so the key is to get him fit.

Reply #362467 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Anon, how can you answer a question on budget when there are still major signings to be made. I have no idea what is going to be available for each of the remaining required players and whether its enough to lure them here. I don't know how much has already been spent and how much is left. There are a few free agents I had my eye on but budget is not the problem, the problem is they don't want to come to Adelaide. This is an area that needs to be addressed by the club as to why players snub Adelaide. You can be pleased with our coach being able to lure some of the best juniors here but this is a professional, competitive league. The best juniors alone are not going to get the job done. And I am not going to keep harping on about developing them for the future because they will follow the money rather than loyalty. Imports will be the deciding factor on how successful your team is going to be. Hope we get some good ones but if you allow yourself to be influenced by the imports signed in the last few years, then the outcome does not look good. Clarke needs to develop a much better eye for good imports.

Reply #362469 | Report this post

AD  
Years ago

I think its a real slap in the face for Daly. He's trained every day for 3 years. Got zero money (except when selected to play they are required to pay him).

Hopefully his ABA domination will see him signed somewhere else in the league.

Reply #362471 | Report this post

Showtime  
Years ago

sorry but great signing.....

1: Great future boomer
2: Good point guard and great shooter
3: Will be a project lets not dwell on what wont/think on what will.

Dont knock until proven...

Marty needs all the help himself and really 6ers aint got the coin to go for great imports.

So we are left with great prospects

Reply #362472 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Tom Daly can still be signed as a development player..

Reply #362473 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I still don't believe a PG combination of Crosswell and Cadee (regardless of whoever starts) can win a team many ball games.

Look at Perth (Martin and Robbins), NZ (Jackson and Bruton), and then look at the other teams with top import PG's like Cairns (Wilson), Crocs (Gill) and Tigers (Ubaka/Allen)

In this league you need an import PG or a gun Australian PG.

36ers have Crosswell, a solid player but merely that; and Cadee, a young relatively inexperienced PG.

No point getting Big Luke if you have no one to feed him the ball.

36ers should have gone out and got an import PG instead. Is it too late?

Reply #362474 | Report this post

Doyle or majok are more worthy of a 6ers development spot than overrated Daly

Reply #362475 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

EC, what free agents would have you gone after?

Reply #362476 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Orbit you are a goose, Cadee will be a great asset off the bench. Personally I think Marty is doing a great job organizing a solid team for next season. One question has Herbet signed up??

Reply #362477 | Report this post

Ballinger Fan  
Years ago

Given Cadee is now 21 and Crossy is coming off an injury,
I would be starting Cadee and letting Crossy bring the team home.

Cadee is not really a starter yet,
but he should get there pretty soon,
so why not start him now.

Reply #362479 | Report this post

Singlets  
Years ago

People on here talk about us getting Luke, who knows if we will or wont but if we do surely then people will shut up about what they think the club spends because we all know he aint cheap !!

Reply #362480 | Report this post

Chuck Norris  
Years ago

Ballinger fan were do you think Balls will end up, my tip is Stdney.
Also Cadee shouldn't start yet, too inexperienced but that's not to say he can't start if he is playing well off the bench

Reply #362482 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Chuck Norris you've picked up a skinny kid who's not that good & you're calling me a goose? A bottom 2 side just got more mediocre!! I hope u r getting a Schencher &/or great imports cause this kid does not solve your problems. I'm glad Kings didn't grab him though as Hammer seems intent to poach that roster.

Reply #362485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreeing with orbit here.. Funny post about the junior sixers also

Not sure why so many people are excited about this signing? Saying he will be great in the future.. Ahhh wake up everyone, nbl players have chopped and changed teams for years. Cadee is only 20 turning 21 and has now already signed with two different nbl clubs in his short nbl career.. Don't go assuming he is a great signing bcoz he has loads of potential to be a future boomer..

Chances are he will get betta at sixers then move on after a bigger offer comes his way.

In saying that who knows wat might happen. But the reality is that the nbl is a "right now" competition. It's not like the afl where u watch players develop and the team get better from staying together.

Theres no doubt cadee can play at junior level and will make it at pro level. But bot at the moment. Predicting Long year ahead for the sixers

Reply #362488 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Sydney didn't have so many gaurds signed Cadee would have gone there. Heal loves him. Skinny kid with great athleticism, great ball handling skills and a solid shot. Cadee has been living in gibbo's pocket all last year so I'm guessing he's learnt a thing or 2. By all reports is a great bloke 2. This is a great signing

Reply #362490 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Singlets, we've got Luke, but no, people will never shut up about anything.

Reply #362491 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

@anon so what have the Breakers fans being doing all these years watching Abercrombie and co gel into a fantastic team

Perth have also done this , the catch being though that the bulk of their talent gelled in Sydney before transferring across

Some of my best 36er memories are watching kids go from junk time to starters to Boomers.

Reply #362494 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Haha Isaac.

How many times does it need to be said that we have Luke signed?

I swear if we signed Chris Paul as our point guard, EC you would find something to complain about.

Reply #362495 | Report this post

KingJames  
Years ago

Bizzy on the other hand if we signed Dusty all our problems would be solved ;)

Reply #362496 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

It will be nice to be a 6ers fan in the next few years..exciting times ahead.
Cadee
Creek
DJ
Weigh
Import
Import
Not to mention the old guys the will slot in.

Reply #362497 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

If we have Luke that gives us the best bigs line up in the comp I reckon (with one signing to be announced)

But I'm guessing that leaves us with very little money for the guards and I would say there is absolutely no way we could afford an import guard.

Can you win with that?

Trying to think of the weakest guard combo on a team that went all the way, or at least very close....any suggestions?

Reply #362499 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

Isaac, you having friends involved directly or indirectly with the sixers, are they ok with you making these unofficial announcements?

Reply #362500 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

looking and reading about all these "young players " signed up by the 6ers does that mean that Marty will be at the club for the next 3 years of building? and then we start again, with son of weigh or son of creek or son of cadee at this stage the club looks like kindergarden of the NBL. how about we sign some experienced players who might win a championship, luke wortho simpson these guy will win a game or two

Reply #362501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ineedmore are you trying to say that you no who the other signing to be announced might be? from perth?

Reply #362502 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

What you are all forgetting is Ballingers 200k is now out of the wages pool.

Reply #362504 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Just from bits and pieces I've heard, but he's not from Perth.

Reply #362505 | Report this post

ANON  
Years ago

Cadee is not as good, nor will ever be as good as his father. Therefore he will never be a Boomer.

Reply #362510 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Remember that we are going with one (1) Import ,
a Shooting Guard.
Ng OR Herbert back up.
Daly DP.
Whether Crosswell will get many free throws in -
the flick pass he is doing is even more pronounced,
out there.

Reply #362511 | Report this post

KB3  
Years ago

My thoughts are

Cadee / Crosswell
Stud Import / Ng or Bartlett or Herbert
Weigh / Creek
DJ / Cheaper Import
Schenscher / Min big

I hope Bartlett signs as he would be perfect in this roster. can play 1-3 on both ends and has a bit of grunt about him.

2 pass first point guards to feed the two headed monster

weigh and creek can slash. creek's outside shot will develop

Banger import back up big that can rotate at times between 4 and 5. Weigh is big enough to defend a more mobile 4 if needed

Perth have gotten weaker without Neville and the points they have to sign players

NZ remains to be seen as it will be import based

Crocs weaker without Luke

Blaze will be import related

Kings looked cooked before they even start

Hawks have a massive hole to fill in Campbell and will rely on imports

Cairns upgraded IMO

Tigers - who knows

We have the makings of a solid top 4 team on our hands here people.

Reply #362512 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Isaac, you having friends involved directly or indirectly with the sixers, are they ok with you making these unofficial announcements?
I wouldn't call them announcements as I don't have any role with the club. If I come by the info independently (which is what happened in the cases of Cadee and Schenscher), I will drop some hints. Cadee I first heard from interstate, not even around the Adelaide traps. The friend you likely mention has also been pretty openly hinting at Schenscher publicly and Boti has dropped the name confidently a couple of times as well so it's hardly been a secret.

There are other bits and pieces that are mentioned to me more in a "keep this quiet" (either said specifically or implied) capacity and those I don't mention.

---

KB3, keys will be defence and confidence. The signings from here on need to be guys that can leave the recent 36ers horrors behind and forge ahead with confidence.

Reply #362516 | Report this post

Aussiebballer  
Years ago

It is a bit early to be making guesses at the top 4 :)

But it does look like an excellent start.

Is it still possible to bring back Ballinger?
Obviously at a reduced price.
He would be the perfect backup PF/C behind Johnson and Luke.

Reply #362522 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Quite surprising the negativity of some people to this signing, you have to remember that Cadee was in the Boomers team 2 years ago and then nearly killed in a car/truck accident (ask him to show you the photos - amazing he can walk let alone play bball) It basically took him a full year to get any confidence back in his body and he is only now really able to push himself.
This last season he showed at times what he can do when running the team as a true PG and he is only going to get better. Hes signed for 2 years, and I have no doubt that if you guys treat him well, help him develop his game and provide him with an enjoyable place to live and play he will reward the club for many years to come.

Added to this he is a fantastic person off the court and will soon be a fan favourite in particular with the kids. Being involved with the fans is never a chore and something he geniunly enjoys.

Huge loss for the Blaze but a well deserved opportunity for Cadee that he can hopefully use to take his game to the next level and shutup all the critics

Reply #362529 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

'Boomers team' gets thrown around way too much, and Im not just talking about you Statman. For me Boomers team means you played at an Olympics, WCs or qualifier. Cadee was never close to that, but he is a very talented young player.

He was selected to play in the World Team at the Nike Hoops Summit two years ago and played well - 7 points on 3/5, 3 rebounds and 3 assists in 18mins against the USA's best young players, including Kyrie Irving. He probably performed better than Cory Joseph, who he was backing up.

He has super talent and will only get better. The key from the 36ers perspective is Crosswell being fully fit to help him out and the import SG also being able to share some of the ballhandling duties, because in this league you need multiple ballhandlers.

Reply #362536 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

Issac also has the benifit of EMAIL addresses on his side, weeding out the Crap from the Fact!!

Reply #362537 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think if Statman had said "Boomers squad", that would cover your comment paul.

Hoops, actually, most people don't leave email addresses and rarely anything that is particularly recognisable. Usually I just watch for the language used and I find that can help differentiate between a troll and someone actually anonymously leaking info since either type of person will have different motivations. That 'method' is available to everyone.

There is a good example in the Kings import thread, mentioning an import name. They might be wrong, but at this point it seems plausible, more so than mentions of Homicide and Iversen at least...

Reply #362545 | Report this post

Hoops  
Years ago

@ Issac Sorry i did not know that, as you have Emailed me before Off Forum i thought that is how it works.
Im With You Remove the Trolls!!
Or as i said a Wanker Filter would do the job.
Feel free to contact me off forum anytime.

Reply #362551 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Youre possibly right Isaac, but even then he was in there as a future prospect. It would be good if BA used the term Boomers Development Squad or something like that for camps and tours that dont have the top players, so that when someone does make the final 16-man squad or so, it has real meaning.

Just my two cents worth.

Reply #362555 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Are we 100% sure Marty is here all season again?

Am I clutching at straws that he'll be gone by season start?

I wish we had someone that could exploit Darren's ability... or run ANYTHING for him.

Reply #362563 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Thats the sad news about these positive signings is guess we have got Marty for another 1 -2 years along with his feral mate.
Would have been nice if had to keep those 2 in there to put another assistant that put another view but link with the supporters and treat them with some sort of respect.
Really hope keep NG

Reply #362566 | Report this post

Statman  
Years ago

Fair call Paul, I can see your point about the Boomers being reserved for top tier events (Olympics, Worlds) rather than warm up games and the like. Where I was referring to Jason playing in a team coached by Brett Brown wearing Gold (is that better haha) was in Perth, just before he was in the accident. Im sure he hit the floor in a game there even if it was very much a 3rd string "Boomers' team.

Semantics aside my original thoughts are the same, the glass half empty attitude that so many 6er fans seem to have really amazes me, this kid has massive potential and is a high quality signing for a club that supposedly finds it hard to attract free agents. Appreciate what you have rather than bitch and moan all the time!

Reply #362573 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I agree Statman, but I guess Adelaide havent really had a good regular season since 2005 and havent won a playoff game since 2003 - that has to wear down your optimism.

Cadee also hit the court for the Boomers on the South American tour of 2009 did he not?

Reply #362580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont Get it Twisted people there is a reason the best young players are coming here, they believe if you dont.
Do you really think Leanne is talking them into it?
No!
Marty Clarke!
And why have the Kids asked for a Coaches Clause?
They Believe in Marty Clarke.
No Marty, No Young talent.
I dont care if cant talk the talk(bullshit) like Cole, Bruton etc.
lets move on and understand where the 6ers are at, best young talent in the country.
Sound Familiar?(Perth)

Reply #362583 | Report this post

bretts the man  
Years ago

Firstly Schens is not a young player coming to be coached by Marty .
Coming back to home city.
Only Dj of these young ones have really done anything for us .
Weigh was not worth half what was paid.
Creek might be promising but really has not produced anything yet and has no real shot and with big talls not going to be too much room to drive at basket.
Cant see why we would brag that Marty recruited well for us as we hold a wooden spoon that used to be a proud club

Reply #362598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Brett
6ers had the worst list over the past 5 years, Role players as starters, hamstrung by having the highest paid player in the Comp.
What would you have done?
Im not sure people know how bad it is.
Glory Days are gone and the money went with it!!

Reply #362606 | Report this post

ineedmore  
Years ago

Sorry Anonymous I have to disagree completely.

Leanne IS doing the talking.

What else do you think has changed at the club?

Couple of years ago Marty didn't want Luke.

Two years later Luke is in the team. Marty's still the coach.......

Reply #362621 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

ineedmore, last time the club had Ballinger signed as well and chewing up a bit of money. And even then, Marty did put a contract to Luke initially before realising it would mean going back on his presumed assurances to DJ that he would become a serious part of the team.

This time around, Ballinger is out of contract.

Reply #362625 | Report this post

Tassie  
Years ago

Spot on isaac!!

Reply #362656 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Cadee is a very promising talent - if you can keep DJ, Creek, Weigh and Cadee and they keep improving - that is a pretty decent young core to work around...

Reply #362658 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Bizzy, I don't know who Chris Paul is. I don't follow the NBA (not enough time in my life to do everything I want) so if he is a good NBA player, I don't know about that. Besides that, I wouldn't complain about anyone who helps bring success to the 36ers. That's what the argument is all about.

Anon who wants to know who I would have chosen from the free agent list. It is Garry Wilkinson, Luke Nevill and Luke Schenscher. I guess I can't complain about 1 out of 3. Now lets hope our wonderful coach knows how to drive this great new machine we have acquired.

Reply #362682 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Schenscher/???
Johnson/Weigh
Newley/Creek
Ubaka/Ng
Cadee/Crosswell

That'd get Adelaide supporters excited.

Reply #362690 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul if the 36ers could get Newley that would be AMAZING!

Do you think its at all possible?

as your line up would be awesome and very exciting.

Reply #362694 | Report this post

hierachy81  
Years ago

God I enjoy reading EC's discussions :)

Reply #362696 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

big F.Y to tom daly

Reply #362698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul, was thinking that line up wouldnt be totally as unrealistic as i first thought.

Wasnt Newley targeted along with another 'Marquee' Aussie initially, but both reportedly said no as they didnt want to play for a cellar dweller, would retaining the top young guys (DJ, Creek), and signing Schenscher and a lesser extent Cadee be enough to convince Newley that they wouldnt be a cellar dweller if he played for the 36ers?

If so id be happy to sign Newley plus 3 minimum salary guys to round out the roster, to ensure the bulk of the remaining money goes into luring Newley, and given we havnt signed an import yet and have efectively lost say Ballinger and Herbert for Schenscher and Cadee and we had 2 say decent probably average import salary imports, say 120k each, id guess we would have atleast 1 and a half import salarys say 200k left, plus Ng staying for minimum or very close to and Helliwells spot, say close to minimum salary to round out the roster.

That should allow us to offer 150-170k to say Newley, with Ng, and 2 young bigs on min salary to complete the roster. That type of salary to Newley would just about be max for a NBL club under the cap i would have thought so would be our best offer.

Paul adding Ubaka and Newley isnt totally rediculous either imo, as he is still being paid by the Tigers isnt he, so he may be prepared to play NBL for min salary again this year, and think that the 36ers with Newley could be a good chance at playoffs/title. (If the Tigers cut Dorsey maybe offer him a minimum salary spot also)

That would give us Pauls line up above, which could be very very good.

Weigh would have to play most of his mins at PF in this line up whilst not ideal could still be ok, he played a fair bit of PF one year for Perth and they didnt seem to do too badly with him there.

I would rotate it something like this

C Schenscher (25)/Johnson (15)
PF Johnson (15)/Weigh (25)
SF Newley (15)/Creek (25)
SG Ubaka (20)/Newley (15)/Ng (5)
PG Cadee (20)/Crosswell (15)/Ubaka (5)

Leaving us a import spot in hand if someone gets injured, if we had the points and a SEABL/NZBL type import was willing to take min salary for a NBL shot id sign them also, probably a PF/C and have to be willing to be an 'insurance' player and not get many mins if all our Aussies are fit and firing, but ready to fill in when required for injury of foul trouble, this would make us VERY deep.

Probably too good to ever come true but we can dream/hope, and if i was 36ers management id offer Newley the max we can, Ubaka a min (or close to) spot, along with 2 other min salary players Ng and a big Aussie or very very cheap import.

If Newley didnt work out id try the same thing but with a import such as Ebi Ere, Donta Smith or someone of that callibre (preferably with NBL experience).

If we could pull something like this off, that would be VERY exciting, and could give us a chance of going last to first in 1 year!

Reply #362704 | Report this post

MikefromtheK  
Years ago

Lmfao Doyle? Nigger pleaes.

Reply #362706 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

I think Newley would be a very, very long shot.

Reply #362708 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

very very long shot. Not impossible but improbable.

Reply #362710 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yea exactly Newley would definatly be a huge long shot, but worth a crack.

What do people think of the idea of getting Ubaka on the cheap (min salary or close to it), 2 minimum salary players (1 spot being offered to Darren Ng) and loading up the remaining money on Newley or a import?

I would do it, if possible as it gives you great flexibility in the final spot as Ubaka gives you a combo guard who can help with the PG duties and score from the perimiter and the Tigers would be paying the bulk of his salary (which makes it even better for me). With the final spot you should have close to max NBL salary of say 150-175k to get a player who you think is best fit.

Obviously Newley is 1st choice being the local star, but if you cant get him, id go for a Donta Smith, type import, Donta Smith would be ideal as he has recent(ish) NBL experience and plays defense, can guard almost anyone, and has a solid all round offensive game.

Then Ng and another back up PF/C on min salary to round out the roster.

Only negative being that Weigh would end up being the 3rd big man, not ideal but he can play as a mobile PF ala KB and Cat, if this is to big a concern spend a little less on the 'star' import say 110-135k and sign a better back up big for say 60-80k instead of min, which would help round out the big rotation and possibly give us a better rounded roster.

Personally id be happy to gamble on spending up on a Newley, Donta Smith, Ere, even Darden (prob a little cheaper than the others) and take the risk of Weigh and a young big rounding out the big man rotation and having potentially the best PG-SF rotation in the league with say Ubaka, Newley or import, Creek, Weigh, Cadee, Crosswell, Ng.

Not the greatest defensively but still should be ok, coaches would have to work on some good team defense schemes, but would be alot better than most offensively.

Schenscher and Johnson are arguably the 2 best players over 6'10 so we should have a great big man rotation also.

Reply #362728 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:24 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754