Anonymous
Years ago

Centrals Women... are they that good?

We see with the exit of Central's import that they have not been as successful since she was shown the door, losing to North and now Southern.

Is now when we see if can Ben Todd coach, or if he is just good at recruiting?

And why would you let somebody like her leave your club???

Topic #28436 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is very interesting indeed. Far to many chiefs, and not enough indians with this group. Remove the egos and they still may have a chance!

Reply #364673 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

4 main players for centrals have the flu did not train all week and played even thou they were sick last night! Oh and the umpires were a joke but thats a different story.... ps It was the import who wanted to go!

Reply #364677 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

theres not enough relible indians to back up the chiefs....

Reply #364678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The umpires were bad ha ha you got a free ride last night, the only thing that was bad was the attitudes of the centrals players, if the concentrated more on playing properly and less on trying to hurt opposition players they would be better off, if it was a men's game there would have been numerous all in brawls!

Reply #364688 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

I heard it was 2 of the starters in the team that wanted the import to go..

Reply #364693 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Well Import...as usual the rumours are wrong or is it just you stirring the usual crap.....if you are so in the know name names

Reply #364694 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

I am sure it would be obvious to most who they are..

Reply #364696 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

But the point is you do not know what you're talking about

Reply #364698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Import, I too heard that two people who came last season from other clubs wanted her to leave.

Funny that... Not the first time I heard this about these two players

Reply #364705 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

That may be because its probably not the first time its happened..

15.1pts @ 47%...

these 2 players must have a lot of say...

Reply #364706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I think we all know who runs that team..

Reply #364709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I watched their import play and she killed it. Maybe a certain few didnt like the attention taken from them??

Reply #364710 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Centrals bashing !!!!! Boring Sunday night then

Reply #364711 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Nah just an interesting topic don't you think...

Reply #364712 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yep, I like..

Reply #364713 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Only interesting for an x import possibly, you all need to put your ego's away and grow the F up

Reply #364715 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Nah interesting as to why 2 starters can have such an influence in a group..

Reply #364716 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2 plus 1 makes 3...

Reply #364717 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Are you suggesting more than 2 starters had a say in this...

Reply #364718 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ill name them Jess Mahnoy and Destina Cummins two of their best players but biggest b.....s their is. Their a couple on and off court and as one run that team. Bens not the coach Jess is really implode girls fun to watch

Reply #364719 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

Wow big call...who is the third that was referred to..

Reply #364720 | Report this post

Agent  
Years ago

If you know Ben Todd personally then you certainly know that he is in charge. Your perception of who is running the team is wrong. Regardless of the strong personalities in the team.

If you are close to the group you will clearly know why she left adelaide , you are clearly not that close because your perception is wrong.

It has not been kept a secret why she left so you must be more removed from the situation than I first thought .

Reply #364722 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#688 i take it your a southern fan or parent so grow up umpires need to be consistent that is all!

And why does everyone have to dog on just two players (Destina and Jess)???
There are players in every team who have an influence on what happens when your the captain or a senior player!!!

You cant say Tess doesnt have a say with mavs or Jo hill with North or Jess Foley with Norwood and the list goes on!!!
In all honesty the import wanted to leave i should know the words came out of her mouth!!! And thats the end of that.
Stop making up rumours and
Can everyone just get over it now...

PS #719 if your gonna name players then name ur freaking self instead of going anonymous....

Reply #364723 | Report this post

Import  
Years ago

There is always 2 sides to a story regardless how how close anyone is to the group..Just go and observe a game..

Reply #364724 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I have observed a game, and they do not look like a TEAM, but a group of individuals running around for themselves.

Reply #364729 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ben is an amazing coach. You are right there are some strong personalities in the group but Ben is able to lead the group, give them ownership and buy-in but keep them going in the right direction.

Reply #364736 | Report this post

A  
Years ago

When 2 players play 40 mins in a loss to an equally matched team... There's no us in team. Feel sorry for the other 8 girls

Reply #364737 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

You play your best players, especially when its a close one. If it happens to be 40min then so be it! In saying that, this team does not look like a team, as one individual has already said. I would have to agree.

Reply #364739 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

So Boston Celtics aren't a team because Doc Rivers played the whole game including OT in Game 2 against the Heat???
Stupid comment.

Reply #364742 | Report this post

No dodo  
Years ago

Well its quiet funny that the two people that wouldn't put up with the two player BS have been kicked out. Tony and now the import.
(And before u start saying I dont know what I'm talking about with Tony. I was there and saw the entire thing.)
All because they would stand up against players telling coaches what to do or treating girls coming into the program like crap.

Reply #364743 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

whilst I agree with most of what is being said. two people,especially one of those treat their team mates badly. That said I feel that it is sad instead of speaking of the close games and good games over the weekend, instead of talking about Centrals great start to season, Southerns constant improvement, how close the season is, Forestville beating Norwood.

We in women's basketball are caught up with the Borrego - Cummins/Mahoney saga.

Lets move on people and concentrate on great women's basketball being played at the moment.

Reply #364746 | Report this post

Justsayin  
Years ago

What is Tony's coaching experience? I would have thought that he wasn't that qualified as a coach in the past. Also, what about Todd, what is his background to be such a 'great coach'. does anyone know? Not an attack on them just a question,

Reply #364764 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon she just wanted more (or better lollies) during the game because she was getting stuck into our men's lollies after the game during the men's after game presentation/supper

Reply #364771 | Report this post

Bylaws  
Years ago

"So Boston Celtics aren't a team because Doc Rivers played the whole game including OT in Game 2 against the Heat???"

Missed the game but Doc Rivers made a come back..Thats huge..How did he go..

Now thats a stupid comment...

Reply #364781 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I do not believe anyone made that comment about playing 40 min means your not playing like a team. They are 2 different voices about 2 different things!!

Reply #364813 | Report this post

Inside word  
Years ago

This team was always going to implode, just a matter of when. Two players have played a huge hand in getting the current coach on board, and now (by the sound of it) getting rid of the import. I would be embarrassed if I was them.

Reply #364878 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Guy wins "Coach of the Year".
People in SA try to bring him down.
His team wins.
People in SA try to bring him down.
Why do so many coaches try and get out of SA??
Too many small minds!

Reply #364885 | Report this post

the den  
Years ago

They have nothing to be embarrassed about. Centrals would not have got as far as they have without either of them. The embarrassment belongs to you all who have passed judement on them and to all that go under Anonymous........

Reply #364886 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Says the den

Reply #364888 | Report this post

ariel  
Years ago

Your real name is "the den"? How awesome. I've been around SA basketball for a lot of years. How come I've never heard of you? I'm sure I'd remember you with a name like that.

Reply #364896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

l think both sides played well,it was close at times.
But the young Tigers side played as a team lead by there Captain what a game by the young ones. Have Beaten North, Eagles and now Centrals.

Reply #364907 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

players should not dictate whether a coach stays or goes, especially in their first year after some success. They should also be able to work within the team environment, no matter what. Sometimes people just have too much say, especially individual players. I blame the club for thinking this is ok, and overall supporting it.

Reply #364955 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This is why Centrals is an absolute joke & will never compete with the other top clubs.
Cause we have people passing judgements that should look at the facts.

The last season and half the Centrals women have won more games than the previous 10 and these two people have been there the whole time. They have the runs and successes on the board to back up what they do, more than I can say for all the girls that have played for this club in the previous 10 years!

Import - these two were the ones that wanted her to stay (another fact)

No I agree with you all get rid of them and bring back the good old Centrals and watch them be the laughing stock of the league and get beaten by 50+ each week. Then the juniors will have something to aspire towards.

Good work Central "supporters" again you know how to make this club “successful” - absolute joke!

Reply #364965 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

There is no question that the recruiting in the past season along with their imports has done wonders for the success of the club when it comes to wins on the board. But I know for a fact that certain individuals dicate alot more than a player should. I wish them success, but I hope there is some integrity that comes with it.

Reply #364976 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You have a coach of the year, 2 fantastic players in cummins/mahoney and they are building a great support team to give some promising talent to aspire to.

I think you would find that the people suggesting the 2 players ARE NOT team players ARE from outside the Lions program. They are probably threatened by the growth and very rapid improvement in the Lions over the past few years. These 2 players are outstanding for the Women's program, but only a very small part of a booming club, but whether they go or stay I'm sure they Lions will continue the rise they are currently experiencing.

The real test of these 2 players will be whether they continue to commit to the Lions, build the success they believe that they can and prove the above people wrong or if they are all about themselves and just go somewhere else when/if the going gets too tough for them.

Reply #364980 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cancer at woodville
cancer at forestville
cancer at centrals

says it all actually

Reply #364982 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think these 2 are being given a little bit too much credit.

Reply #364984 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I do agree that the success of the team can be attributed to the players that have come on board (and the imports) and thats great for the program and the club. But it does appear that these players are bigger than the team so their are pro's and con's for both.

It's a pity that it's only one of the girls that is a really great player and the other shouldn't be talked about in the same light as she is an average player. Take Jess out and that team would struggle even more.

Hopefully things will sort itself out as it was good to see a competitive Centrals team last season.

Reply #364993 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They def aren't being given too much credit AT ALL.

Their win/loss record speak for itself - between them & the coach over half the team playing this year is from players they have assisted in recruiting. I admire the fact that they are the ones out there with the singlets on their back week in and week out while all their "haters" watch from afar.

I know who I would want my kids to be like – going out there and giving it a go at a club who had tried for years to try & recruit (look even Phillips couldn’t win them a game or even stick out a season!)

But keep judging them for finally moving the senior womens program of this club in the right direction.

Reply #365002 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really successful players are often bitches and bastards because they go the extra mile to succeed. While it is not a law that a player has to have these flaws or attributes given your perspective, you will find, in every sport, white line fever which sometimes crosses over into the players' everyday life.

Centrals have weighed up the pros and cons and have put two areas of their club in some jeopardy, the juniors with a poor choice of country first and locals last and in trying to buy a senior team. It wont amount to much if central win a CABL title because the way they would have won it is not sustainable.

If you bring a strong self believer into your club and ask that player to teach the group to win then you can't criticise the player for doing it the only way she can.If that player outweighs your coach then he needs to eat more meat or the player should coach. Either way, observing this from the comfort of the bar, it's a bit rich to be killing the goose who has laid your only golden egg.

Reply #365003 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I agree with the above.. I think there is a whole lot of attitude with the group and that is not only the 2 in mention. Yes, some success has been achieved and good on them, but I question the amount spent creating it..

Reply #365011 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I think their selection of imports the last 2 seasons has made them a force. Its a pitty this one is no longer playing as she was their real chance of a title. But you never know, if they can work alot better as a team, they may just take it..

Reply #365012 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I didnt me credit for wins.... Open your mind!!

Reply #365019 | Report this post

violin86  
Years ago

#980 -- did you really just use the term "booming club" to describe the Lions? Wow. Must have low standards out there. Is the Centrals propaganda maching "arguably" firing up again?

Reply #365066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

careful violin "my husband's a police officer" - sorry, that was a Woodville person who said that

Reply #365076 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

076, someone seems to have hit a sore point with you.

Reply #365116 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I remember the "my husband's a police officer" comment from a thread about 4 years ago. People were getting stuck into Woodville and in particular a coach there who has since stopped coaching.

Reply #365118 | Report this post

boy blue  
Years ago

central women are they that good yes they are

Reply #365230 | Report this post

Fallovaboy  
Years ago

These girls train bloody hard and with my man Benny incharge what ever they achieve will because they have earnt it as a team. No one gave these girls a chance 6 months ago and i think they have definatly exceeded expectations so far. Well Done and good luck for the rest of the year.

Reply #365257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So true hardwork pays off and you can say one thing about these girls and coach they have done it tough and through sheer hardwork and determination. You can see it when they train and you can see it when they play. This is what Lions success is built on. This is why in the past 2 yrs the club has had about 8 kids play for clubs/colleges overseas. It's hardwork my friends, hardwork!!!

Reply #365262 | Report this post

Say What  
Years ago

Sorry, what success was that..Did I miss something...

Reply #365270 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

These girls are under achieving in my eyes. Who didnt give these girls a chance 6 months ago?? With what has happened to the league and certain teams losing a number of quality players, and them gaining an import (oops she left) and Keane I would think that they are more than expected to be atleast top 3. Someone has no idea of what is actually going on!

Reply #365371 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

After this weeks results, Eastern would be a real chance to jump into finals placing????

Central would be doing pretty well to stay in the hunt with a 3 game slide.

That match up is Saturday Night, with Central backing up vs Sturt on Sunday. If they can win both I would say they are safe, but a loss to Eastern will spice things up.
Central won by 15 in the first game so Eastern need a 16 point victory, which is hard to see happening, to gain the split.

North - Norwood is probably MOTR but really this game is far more crucial to the finals make up.

Reply #366511 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Final 5 for women

Norwood
North
Forestville
Centrals
Southern

Reply #366545 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"We in women's basketball are caught up with the Borrego - Cummins/Mahoney saga.

Lets move on people and concentrate on great women's basketball being played at the moment."

Agreed.

Reply #369039 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:33 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754