Chewy316
Years ago

Lakers Rebuilding/Reloading

Hi guys, haven't been on here for a while (well at least I haven't posted on here in a while). I've been observing this year's NBA season and I'm interested in what everyone's view is on how the Lakers are going to rebuild/reload this off-season to become a contender again. Let's face it, Kobe isn't going to want to be a part of a team that settles with being anything less than a contender, and neither do the people of LA as a general rule. Kupchak was able to pull off the Kwame Brown for Gasol trade a few seasons ago and it instantly put the Lakers into title contention for the next few seasons. It is becoming more and more evident that the elite teams in the league have elite point guards with the exception of Miami. Seeing as the Lakers have gone away from the triangle, not having an elite point guard is really hurting them. Sessions was a solid pickup and I believe he'll re-sign in the off-season, but I'm not sure if he is going to be a guy who can put up electric numbers and lead the offense like a Rondo, Parker, Westbrook etc.

Gasol will definitely be traded, I don't doubt that. Who he will be traded for will be an interesting debate. The Lakers obviously need bench help, as well as point guard help. Do the Lakers make a trade such as Gasol for Scola and Lowry? Or do they try to trade for someone like Andre Iguodala?

I've heard rumblings that Michael Beasley might join the Lakers in the off-season via a sign and trade deal. He was close to joining the Lakers last year at the trade deadline. I've heard that Minnesota likes Jordan Hill so maybe a package can be built around Hill to get Beasley to LA. Remember that Hill has quite a bit of potential being the 8th overall pick a few years ago so there is definite talent there. This also allows LA to explore further avenues to trade Gasol.

Last but not least, the past few weeks I've heard from a few people that Odom wants to return to LA. Actually I heard it not long after he was traded to Dallas but it's heated up in the past 3-4 weeks for sure. I suspect that Dallas will trade Odom for next to nothing. LA could possibly use their trade exception of 8.9 million (or whatever the exact value is) and a pick or two for Odom. Seems logical seeing as though the Mavs don't want him and his value is minimal at the moment. In addition, it would add to the depth on the bench and give the Lakers a reliable 6th man.

Having analysed the situation, if I was Kupchak, I would rebuild the Lakers like so:

Re-sign Ramon Sessions
Sign and trade Jordan Hill + picks and fillers for Michael Beasley
Trade exception plus a 2nd round pick for Lamar Odom
Trade Pau Gasol for Luis Scola and Kyle Lowry (picks and fillers for the cap hit to match)
Use the amnesty clause to release Steve Blake if he hasn't been included as a filler in a trade.

Starting lineup:

PG: Lowry
SG: Kobe
SF: World Peace
PF: Scola
C: Bynum

Bench main rotation:

Sessions
Odom
Beasley

Would probably need to find someone in the mold of Kendrick Perkins as a backup 5.

Lakers could also go after Deron Williams in a sign and trade deal but that would be quite difficult to accomplish. Then again, anything is possible in LA.

Thoughts?

Topic #28469 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

isnt scola like a franchise player for houston?

would be a top top talent to let go for a guy at the end of his career like gasol.

lakers can already build around bynum, find a gun pg like you said but eh, i dont see any trade value. imagine they get in the ears of some players coming out of contract to nab in free agency or to demand a sign and trade i guess.

Reply #365405 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

U should get into thos caper Chewy, u really know your stuff!!

Reply #365420 | Report this post

tripple  
Years ago

Trade Gasol and Steve Blake and MWP for - D.Williams
Trade Bynum for Howard.
Get M.Beasley for Draft picks
Get L.Odom for draft exception and picks
Get S.Brown back for draft picks

Line up for 2012/13 season.
Williams
Bryant
Beasley
Hill
Howard

Sessions
Barnes
Brown.

Wishful thinking I know but if that happened lock it in for kobe number 6!!!!

Reply #365426 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

In my personal opinion, Gasol is valuable for these talked about swaps. Im a sixer fan and think Iguodala is much more valuable than an aging Gasol. Kyle Lowry was just about a top 5 Pg last season before he got injured, let alone including Scola as well.

Reply #365428 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Phil, Scola and Gasol are not that far apart in age. Both are the wrong side of 30. Agree w the general view tho that Scola n Lowry is too much for Gasol. Houston just committed to Lowry, can't see why they'd give him away just to grow their PF 3 inches!

Lakers def have chance to retool on fly tho, with a trade for either Howard or D-Will within realms of possibility for them (but not both at same time probly as difficult to fit under cap alongside Kobes monster contract).

Getting Odom back cheap might be a good idea too as his size and mobility would be handy v Durant

Reply #365485 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

Well Scola and Lowry were included in the Chris Paul vetoed trade which would've landed the Rockets Gasol so that's why I included that.

Trading for Howard is an interesting possibility although Jim Buss absolutely loves Drew and I don't see how Gasol can be the main guy in a package for Howard unless there is a 3rd team involved in the trade.

Reply #365536 | Report this post

Mookie  
Years ago

Clips rule LA

Reply #365693 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:37 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754