Jack Toft
Years ago

R10 ABL Action - Over the hill

West - Sturt
Women: Both teams are looking for a better second half of the season. West are yet to plate up an entrée at home and Sturt have struggled. Sturt may have cracked Woodville's egg last round, but West look set to serve up a souffle this round if they can get the oven to the correct heat.
Men: This is the men’s MOTR. It’s 1v2 in what looks like a bruising affair. This game will be more exciting than an Alby Mangels/Steve Urwin 4WD adventure organised by Bear Grylls. Please forgive me for I am about to sin, Sturt by 3.

North – Southern
Women: Women’s MOTR as 2 v 3 fight to lock in their dominance before finals. Tigeresses won by 4 last time, but that was a Jo-less Norf, who have snuck up the ladder round by round. Ciabattoni will be the barometer by which this game is measured. This game won’t be over until the final play and might just be won from the stripe. Set your VCR’s to record your favourite TV show because the action will be in the tin shed tonight, unless there’s a dingo in the carpark.
Men: Norf are lurking near the top and Tigers are yet to win away, with that record unlikely to be broken. Still, I know an import looking for a game who played for the Harem Globetrotters.

South – Woodville
Women: Pantheresses look set to pounce for their first home win but Woodies have to win to keep in touch with the final 5. A loss tonight might mean their season is over. Both teams with good reasons to win, but South might just drive an iron stake through Woodville tonight like a Romanian vampire.
Men: South have lost their last 3 and Woodville are in a pack of about 6 vying for the last 3 spots. Plenty of off court action at Woodville means South are likely to thank them with a beer after the game, maybe before if Al’s not watching. At least Adam and Zane weren’t posing with guns.

Centrals – Norwood
Women: Lionesses have dropped their last two and with their import gone home (did she leave the oven on?) face a challenging second half. Norwood did the un-thinkable and dropped a game. The Lightning Flames aren’t used to dropping two games in a row during the minor round, they usually leave that to the major round.
Men: Both teams have upped the ante in the last 3 games and this game is set to be tighter than a family budget with a broken fridge and hot water system after the carbon tax. In the last 3 rounds: Norwood - Offence up by 6, defence down by 6. Is this the Lycett factor? Centrals – Offence up by 10, defence down by 3. It was Norwood by 7 last time, but on the home safari, Centrals need a win to keep those dim finals chances alive. If they can sustain 4 quarters, Lions by 1, if they choke in Q4, Norwood by double figures.

Forestville – Mavs
Women: Forget "Borrego-gate" and the case of the rubbery scoresheet, do they need her at all? Plenty of apples shipped in tonight for the occasion. Mavs might steal a win if luck goes their way, but Forestville and wins go together like Rolf Harris and a stairway to heaven.
Men: A slight ray of hope for the Mavs with reports that they will be boosted with an import. Their season is over, but Feagles still very much in the hunt. Forestville likely to punish the Mavs like a kid with a magnifying glass and an ant.

Topic #28513 | Report this topic

Very Very Old  
Years ago

Go Mavs ?

http://vimeo.com/24915946

Reply #366142 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South women should record a win just through their coaching strength and Woodville's lack of it.
Mavs to win by 10 on the back of 50 by Tess and Southern might just get over Norths. Centrals should get a bye against Norwood who who will get lost trying to find Starplex and the mighty Sturt will own Westies.

Reply #366149 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Bit hard for her to get 50 when she is not playing!! Eagles women should win last time they played they won by 14. Tess had 25 rebounds 10 boards 4 assists. Thompson for Eagles got 24 points 11 rebounds and 5 assists. They are both in China and wont be playing so I reckon Eagles win.
Southern over North (though a good game I think)
Woodville over South (Toss Up)
Sturt over West (West looking to struggle without Holland)
Norwood over Centrals (Are Centrals falling apart)

Reply #366151 | Report this post

Panther32  
Years ago

Some of your best work JT!!!

"Still, I know an import looking for a game who played for the Harem Globetrotters."

"Plenty of off court action at Woodville means South are likely to thank them with a beer after the game, maybe before if Al's not watching. At least Adam and Zane weren’t posing with guns."

Reply #366159 | Report this post

maybeslow  
Years ago

Whats the Harem Globetrotter reference?

Reply #366189 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

There was a recent post from an agent looking for a game for his boy. Apparently, one of his former teams was the "Harem Globetrotters"

Reply #366198 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

just for the record, both of the Southern Men wins have been away: Mavericks and South

Reply #366199 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great review for both the men and womens game! MOTR mens will be interesting, West Men to play sturt Boys, it will be a tight one with a close finish but after playing west earlier this year I think they will be doing all the brusing

Reply #366227 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Great work Jack.

Alby Mangels - love him

Reply #366378 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

Sturt men beat West men 78 - 63.

West were up 51-49 at HT then Sturt locked them down to 12 second half points.

Reply #366406 | Report this post

razor  
Years ago

Actually 41 - 39 at the half but 22 second half points not a much better look.

Reply #366417 | Report this post

kev  
Years ago

woops yeh. 22 - 9 third quarter.

Reply #366419 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time for a new mens coach at Tigers.

Seriously how long does this rot have to continue for.

Reply #366421 | Report this post

RL  
Years ago

Looks like Zane Reeves wasnt suspended afterall. Played tonight in a win over south.

Reply #366422 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

New coach at tigers might be a good idea, but maybe a change of attitude from the players, and also their mates on the sidelines might help also!!

Reply #366442 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

"Looks like Zane Reeves wasnt suspended afterall"

I guess he wasn't drinking beer after it, probably Claytons. That's the suspension you have when you're not suspended.

Reply #366459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clayton's suspension at southern as well

Reply #366494 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Mavs womens are clearly not a good team without Tess, being thrashed by Forestville. North women are the team to watch out for, having a very convincing win over Southern, Centrals on the slide but will end up top 4, No surprises that Woodville beat South, who are extremely under manned, and what a surprise West defeating Sturt. Norwood v North Grand final for me here.

Reply #366518 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern coach suspends two players then realises it was his mistake but won't undo suspension as he does not want to lose face with the other players.

What is going up the hill!!!

Reply #366639 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon,

North are doing ok but for me it will be a Forestville Thunderbirds v Norwood Lightning GF with the result being decided by a battle of the coaches off court player management/recruitment

Reply #366646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which Southern players were suspended?

Reply #366663 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern men won't win another game this year

Reply #366673 | Report this post

Tigers  
Years ago

Which Southern players were suspended & why...

Reply #366683 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern have had a decade of problems. This coach, same sh!t. Get a new coach and the crap will stay.

Reply #366698 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how can you say that nothing will change with a new coach?

Reply #366711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

South women under manned? I think you need to take into consideration they are a team of inexperienced players doing their best and improving in themselves. Dont be harsh on these young girls. can safely say they are more of a team then sonera other teams getting around. give them time!!

Reply #366719 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

I agree #719. From what I have seen they are doing a wonderful job considering they have no stars and really, a group of girls with very little experience at this level. Credit to Vicki for making this group as competitive as possible.

Reply #366732 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

south played woodville!!

Reply #366734 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does it matter who south play played or are playing. look at the situation more carefully and the development at this group.

Reply #366736 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

they wont win another game this year

Reply #366740 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Some of you have no idea!! This was always going to be a tough season for them, along with 3 or 4 other teams. I think the development of individuals and unity of the group, that for the most never even knew each other, is a real testiment to the coach.

Reply #366744 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 6744. You can not be seriuos!

Since this coach took over at Southern they have lost:

Brine
Braithwaite
Boal
OConnor
Pinyon
Davies

All good Tigers juniors.

No wonder none of the new group know each other.

Reply #366753 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pinyon would never have made it, he went to play footy for sturt, got booted from them this week!, O'connor no better than the gaurds they have, Brine didnt want to play there, along with the others mentioned.

Coach has lost players

Reply #366760 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Win lose or draw. none of these factors matter for this team, what does natter Ian the development, the love of a sport bringing these girls together, the future is bright. Some of times You need to look at the bigger picture and grasp.an understanding of what the focus is. see where ALL of these girls have come from!

Reply #366813 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

#753 The comment about knowing each other was not talking about Mavs men..

Reply #366886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:31 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754