J-MAC
Years ago

Big V All-Star Weekend Games

Went to watch Big V all-star game on the weekend at MSAC while the Juniors were playing and was pretty surprised at the standard.VERY GOOD. Did see one Cory Williams there chatting to some of the players and was told he thinks 2 or 3 of them would play NBL no problems as an import.

Topic #28518 | Report this topic

Happy Days  
Years ago

None of the imports in Big V could play NBL.

Reply #366206 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Report on the event including pictures. Look for Bennie Lewis' 360!
http://www.bigv.com.au/index.php?id=755&tx_ttnews%5Byear%5D=2012&tx_ttnews%5Bmonth%5D=06&tx_ttnews%5Btt_news%5D=2845&cHash=25953c91e1cd45e818a4f9a39cdc74f1

Reply #366207 | Report this post

Ariel 72  
Years ago

snarky but I like how corey williams is the authority on who could or couldn't play NBL

Reply #366226 | Report this post

Split needed  
Years ago

Not a new concept to Victoria basketball but the term "Big V" is not representative of all that the State Chamoionship level is.
When people outside if Big V/Victoia hear the term "big v" or "big v import" they could be refereeing to 3 different leagues.
The easy fix for this would be for the Big V organization to brand the elite level of the Victorian state league ( State Chamkoiosnhip men & women ) separate to its "big v" title. This is the only reason SEABL is perceived to vbe of the higher standard in today's landscape.
If you take the history of SEABL out of the aquasion and just purely lined up the SEABL and big v state championship levels TODAY, your seeing equal leagues.
Big V would be in a great position to capitalize of the fantastic standard of the SC divisions of the recent few years with a rebranding separate to Big V.

Reply #366239 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Split needed. The brand issue is not the "only" reason the SEABL is perceived to be of a higher standard.

These days, the SEABL is clearly of a higher standard, (although my view is that SEABL men is not the competition is has been in the past). Despite this, the SEABL is a stronger competition, top to bottom, than the BigV state championship.

The top levels of the SEABL are a step up from the top levels of the BigV SC as well.

I've argued on this forum before that in the mid 2000's the leagues were much closer, but the defection of Dandenong and Sandringham, and the subsequent brand damage that did to BigV, widened the gap significantly and that has not been recovered from.

Reply #366241 | Report this post

J-MAC  
Years ago

Eric Williams would be better than alot of the duds that came to play NBL last season.

Reply #366242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

JMAC

Let's do a little comparison on Mr Williams shall we:

2011 Nunawading SEABL - 21 Games - 14.9ppg, 7.8rpg, 2.2apg 49.2%fg

2012 Corio Bay Big V - 8 games - 25.4ppg, 13.4rpg, 1.4apg 47.4%fg

An interesting sideline stat is he took 254 shots the entire season at Nunawading and in 8 games at Corio has already jacked up 175. He should probably stay away from the 3 ball though, 2011 7-29, 2012 3-22.

I think those stats probably tell you a great deal about the "strength of both leagues".

Reply #366255 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HO & JMAC:

Have you SEEN an SEABL game the past few seasons?
You seem to be commenting off reputation (not alone there on this subject) not actuals.

*Bring back the ABA nationals, problem solved.

Reply #366264 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Was Corey still drunk?? (He has been out partying ever night in since he arrived) Not one of those players running around at the Big V All star weekend is genuine NBL calibre!

All of the imports in the lower divisions are not even good enough to compete at SCM level in the big V....the funny thing is people/players in the lower leagues love to talk them up but let's be honest there is a reason most of them don't get picked up second season in to play SCM/SEABL....its because they have weakness & will be exposed against SCM level teams & when you're an "import" you need to be the stud, not just another player!

I love what the imports bring to the lower divisions but let’s not talk them up re NBL or even SEABL/SCM standard...only 2 players in the whole Big V are genuine NBL standard - Trigger & Dillon and a few that could fill a small bench role if required (Lewis, Threatt, Norton, Platnik, Fennell, Sturt, Reardon)

Reply #366265 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any young guys coming through BigV that would be NBL quality in the future?

Reply #366269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@Tiger Watcher. Very good points and I agree.

Further to your NBL level guys, give me the same break down of current SEABL guys of NBL standard. This will be very interesting.

Reply #366271 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

A quick breakdown of NBL level guys in the SEABL (Note imports don't count as we they would need to be "import" at NBL level as teams don't sign import role players*) *except sydney & that worked well.

NBL level Talent: Coeneraad, Garlepp, Hill,

End of bench/minimal role: Macdonald, Cameron (if in shape), Wilcher (Undersized), Phillip, George, Lang, Bruce

Note I haven’t included guys with the potential to play in the NBL in a few years time

Reply #366292 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tiger watcher... Norton ?? Come on

Reply #366293 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Lol, I'm much more surprised at Fennell than Norton!

Even he knows his defence is terrible.

Reply #366294 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

I've caught 3 or 4 Eltham games this year (against Wav, Ring) and both Norton/Fennell were good and in 2 of those games Norton was by far and away the best player...i only mentioned as a possible bench/role player...thats all.

I have only listed guys i've seen play in the flesh over the last 2/3 years so can only go on what i've seen...never said it was an exact science and i've probably left off a few guys whom i haven't seen that could make the list.

There's probably a few SEABL guys on my list who aren't quiet at NBL level but in the games i saw there was potential to play a role in the right situation.

Reply #366296 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Well, yes, I have - quite a few actually. You might notice in my post that I said I did not think the SEABL was at a standard it used to be.

The ABA Nationals unfortunately proved nothing. Rockhampton won the last two prior to them being disbanded from memory. No one at the time was saying therefore that the QABL was a superior competition to the SEABL because of that.

Reply #366308 | Report this post

Phil  
Years ago

Tiger Watcher, what are your thoughts on Adrien Sturt (Ringwood)??

Reply #366311 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cairns won the last 2 ABA national finals before it was disbanded with pretty much their NBL side without imports. They only lost something like 1 game in 2 years in the QBL and were miles clear on their ladder. The rest of the QBL was rubbish as people like Kingma (ex-kings) was having 35 rebounds a night.

I agree with HO that SEABL is not the power it once was but it still is mikes ahead top to bottom than the Big V is at the moment.

Reply #366356 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Sturt was very good when with the Tigers a few years back, but last year seemed to look disinterested and a bit out of sorts at Eltham.

Haven't had a chance to catch his games since his return this year but stats wise looks to be playing more consistent ball again.
Sturt certainly has the talent/length to be an NBL level player but I guess it comes down to drive and a few consistent years at SEABL/Big V level to get another shot at the NBL...although that said he has had a few goods seasons in the BBL (Not sure what standard that league is though)

Reply #366547 | Report this post

J-MAC  
Years ago

I see a Big V Division 3 player that played with MIldura is the latest Sydney Kings recruit

Reply #366560 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats won the last ABA National Championship in 2006

Reply #374598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I reckon the standard of the Big V is much better than what most people give it. Dont know why people bag it. I'm from a smaller SEABL club and would be happy if my club moved across.

There are a few guys that can flat out play.

I think losing the ABA nationals was a massive loss. For a structure like that to work it takes time as in 10-20 years not the 6 or 7 it was given.

Reply #376634 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

In respect to the ABA Nationals i spoke with a certain Big V coach and he/his club are discussing putting on an invite only national knockout tournament together.

Sounded good with him hoping to have it off the ground for 2013 or 2014 depending on sponsors and interest from other clubs.

Reply #376656 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be awesome! I hope they do get that off the ground.

Reply #377518 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:18 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754