coachedd
Years ago

Kings sign naturalised player Kevin Smith

Same one that got cut by Mount Gambier Pioneers and was playinh Big V Division 3.

Wow!

http://andthefoul.net/archives/4012

Topic #28528 | Report this topic

MACDUB  
Years ago

I think he is qualified as a local. But not sure.

If he is a 'local', then that is a very good pick up.

If he is classified as an import, then that is the worst import signing possible.

Reply #366403 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Yep, naturalized New Zealander

Reply #366404 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Actually, he must be a local signing. Very good pick up in my opinion, as it is tough to find local players with that ability AND at that price (I assume he wouldn't be on all that much considering he has just come off stints in the NZNBL and Big V Div 3)

I know he is an import, because he played as a local in the NZNBL. So I believe that he must qualify as a local in the NBL..But could be wrong

Reply #366405 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He's been playing in the NZ NBL for 4 - 5 years and this year became a naturalised Kiwi, which means he is considered as a local. Kings really fought for him to be considered a local.

Reply #366411 | Report this post

benno  
Years ago

I like his game

Reply #366412 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

He looks like he'll b very handy.

Reply #366413 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange that the Kings had to fight for him to be considered a local? Smart signing by the Kings. They are a very good PF away from being a competitive middle of the table team.

Reply #366423 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They need to land an absolute monster with their 2nd import spot just to avoid the spoon next season.

No way are they going to be able to cover for the losses of Khazzouh, Bose and Jerai Grant.

Even bleaker times ahead for Kings fans.

Reply #366432 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Middle of the table?

They'll be fighting for the wooden spoon with their Melbourne brothers...

Reply #366433 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I like next season already, Melb and Sydney at the bottom

Reply #366435 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Struggled at SEABL level but has really lifted his his game in the last couple of years.Role player, maybe number 7 or 8 on the roster.

Reply #366439 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is someone havin a lend???? This guy Was terrible in SEABL and at 32 why pick him up! I guess Hammer knows what he is doing....this makes them more of a laughing stock than the Ratzch lead kings!

Reply #366445 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Personally i'd prefer Gynes

Reply #366446 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Hammer does not know what he's doing. That was apparent in his early signing of an no-name import PG after whinging all year about how the Kings need a "top quality American import point guard"...

Reply #366450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why wouldnt they keep Jerai Grant? That kid could really play...especially when Khazzouh was not there.

Reply #366455 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Pretty sure that Grant was ready to move on and up.
Not sure where their dollars are going but Crosswhite is said to be pretty highly paid.

Reply #366456 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Smith's a local so he should be a solid local role player.
Smh about the henry signing should've got a combo guard like Ubaka or deleon.
They need to make sure the second import is a superstar if they wana be competitive!

Reply #366457 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Grant wants to crack the NBA via the NBDL.. He did say he wanted to stay in Australia, but only Grant & his agent know how true that really is.

Reply #366458 | Report this post

velocity  
Years ago

Heal is a bad coach, no one good wants to play under him thus bose/khaz leaving and no decent signings.

Reply #366461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supposedly Heal never thought much of Jerai Grant and told him he wouldn't be re-signed for next season.

Madness considering the losses of Khazzouh & Bose.

Reply #366467 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

not a bad move, I'd reckon he was cheap and what other local 6-6 guy would be available that could provide the athletic type of play off the bench ...

I would have liked to see gynes get another shot but i'd say he's on the outer now

Reply #366479 | Report this post

A.W  
Years ago

Heal has to have somebody big like Neilson up his sleeve or something to be putting together a joke of a team like this.

Crossy is a good signing but Harvey, Garlepp, Smith, Henry are you kidding me?

Bruce, Madgen, _____, _____, Crosswhite
Henry, Martin, Harvey, Dann, Garlepp

Wooden spoon awaits.

Reply #366491 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They will finish middle of the table. No moose will make a huge difference.

Reply #366496 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wilkinson.

Reply #366498 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

No moose would have made a huge difference with last year's roster (as shown when he left and they went on a small run), but with the way this is shaping up, and with the way James Harvey has been talking, I expect him to take over the offense with his brand of hero ball and average the most FGA on the team. They'll be in contention for the spoon, unless their second import is a monster, in which case they'll finish in the middle of the pack.

Crosswhite is a great defender, but its no help when you don't have the perimeter defenders channelling people into him. He'll foul out a lot trying to cover for the poor perimeter defense.

Reply #366500 | Report this post

Deios58  
Years ago

No. Wilkinson won't be a King. Expect announcement this week on second import.

Reply #366501 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Last year's roster wasnt any better than this years. Grant and Bose both have potential but their efforts last year were overrated because of a handful of good performances.

Reply #366506 | Report this post

Greg  
Years ago

Looking like the Kings maybe under the salary cap?

Reply #366508 | Report this post

T-Rex  
Years ago

Has he signed yet- his name does not show up on any Kings web sites or on the 2012/13 roster.

Reply #369182 | Report this post

Wookiee  
Years ago

Shane (when asked if we could pick up any of the Blaze players) tweeted that the Kings roster was all full, so I assume yes... No word from anyone at the Kings though, very frustrating...

Reply #369204 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kings PR man is away. Expect the Kings to sign a current NBDL forward.

Reply #369295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So the Kevin Smith rumour hasn't come to fruition yet?

Reply #369303 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I saw Garlepp play in the SEABL a few weeks ago. Terrible.

Reply #369377 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:45 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754