Bo Hamburger
Years ago

Past 36ers coach Mike Dunlap to coach NBA Bobcats

Adrian Wojnarowski - one of the better NBA scribes out there - is reporting that the Bobcats have signed Mike Dunlap to be their coach.

Wow!

Topic #28545 | Report this topic

clarky  
Years ago

I was just about to post this, the original report is from the Charlotte Observer (via Twitter):

St. John's assistant Mike Dunlap has agreed to become Bobcats' next coach, @Rick_Bonnell reports. Story soon at http://charlotteobserver.com

Adrian Wojnarowski continued his thoughts on this on his twitter with:
@WojYahooNBA

Dunlap's considered an excellent X's and O's coach on college level, well-respected in profession. Still, a huge gamble for Michael Jordan.

@WojYahooNBA

Dunlap won Division II national titles at Metro State before Nuggets. Tough, no-nonsense guy. Clearly, MJ wants a teacher with young team.

@WojYahooNBA

Also, Michael Jordan doesn't want to pay for a basketball coach. And clearly that's part of hiring Mike Dunlap, a Big East assistant coach.

@WojYahooNBA

People I respect in NBA always believed Dunlap had chops to be a head coach. Just didn't think it would be a leap from Steve Lavin's bench.

Reply #366720 | Report this post

velocity  
Years ago

Is he an aussie?

Reply #366722 | Report this post

Big Sexy  
Years ago

No but coached the sixers for a couple of years, his youth policy pushed out players like Smyth, Rose, Mackay and Pearce (if I remeber correctly). While pushing up Maher and Blakemore

Reply #366725 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

Just reported by Chris Broussard on ESPN

Reply #366727 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

No, he's not an Aussie, but he was head coach of the Adelaide 36er's for a couple of seasons in the mid-1990's.

Reply #366728 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

And Michael Jordan's teeeeeerrible personnel decisions continue.

Or is this Rich Cho conceding the lottery loss and tanking another season by hiring the worst possible candidate?

Reply #366733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very interesting, he is known to be a good developer of young players though, so maybe they hire him for a couple of years to push and develop their young roster then get another coach in when they are more experienced and ready to win.

I wouldnt expect too many veterans to play for the Bobcats if he is still the same as he was with the 36ers veterans.

Reply #366735 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

(Tweaked Bo's topic title to try and get the most informative wording in there for 36ers fans who might be wondering what's going on.)

Reply #366738 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He will be fine, no pressure on a new coach coming into a program that won 7games!

Reply #366746 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

MJ going for the cheapest option out there? Surely not!

He was the 36ers coach for about four years, I never liked him or his methods but he did take the 36ers to the GF in 1994.

Reply #366770 | Report this post

Tigs  
Years ago

I just got word that, Gorjian may take up an assistant role with Dunlap. They are good friends and often talk basketball with regards to recruitment. That would be interesting to see two ex-NBL coaches in the NBA!

Reply #366773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If George Karl like the call then I'm happy with that. Karl calls it like he sees it and he right more than not.

Reply #366776 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

I laugh how people who have no clue what goes into these decisions put there "analysis" on coaching decisions. Alot comments on the ESPN boards are saying things like "never heard of him so he must be crap" or because he is not a big name like Phil Jackson it's a bad decision.

Good luck to Dunlap but the odds are against him. There is an excellent article from John Calipari who is frank when he suggests the mindset of coaching in the NBA is "getting fired is not a matter of if but when". He also suggests that coaching players in the NBA is a lot harder then in college with ego's and endorsements complicating the relationship between the coach and the player.

If Dunlap can coach through till the end of his contract he will be doing well.

Reply #366830 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I wonder If Boti thinks he is good enough to coach the 6ers

Reply #366850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Only need a decent 3 year contract as an NBA coach, after that, they can go ahead and sack me, im rich at that point!

Reply #366859 | Report this post

TR  
Years ago

After watching them go through the worst season in the history of the NBA, and now this.

I'll give Dunlap the benefit of the doubt for now, but I see a locker room freeze out just after the All Star game.

If Boy Goorj becomes an assistant, hell....

Reply #366860 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

TR, never know - could work. Both are good coaches. In following the Bobcats, don't you do it for the agony and misery anyway?

Reply #366897 | Report this post

tickle  
Years ago

Good luck to him. Regardless of his falling out with veteran players during his time in Adelaide, he was a successful coach and I enjoyed the product on the floor (being a 10/11 year old without any access to the inner sanctum at the time).

He dragged the 36ers out of early 1990s mediocrity; he was the hero the city deserved, but not the one it needed at the time. A dark knight.

Reply #366902 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Ha ha..we made all those comments Wojnarowski did about a month ago!

http://www.hoops.com.au/forum/28277-dunlap-interviewing-for-nba-head-coaching-gig/

Reply #366944 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

Seriously what does Brian Shaw have to do to get a head coaching gig....

Maybe back to Orlando for him.

Reply #366986 | Report this post

hereschenes  
Years ago

Sweet photo from The Advertiser article on the signing:

Smiley face

I miss Athol Park. :-(

Reply #367037 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Leon Trimmingham!!!!! Those were the days!!!

Reply #367122 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Dunlap has been announced officially as the new coach. They said they hired him because they were impressed with his work ethic. Dunlap didn't give too much away just basically saying it was going to be a long developing process and it wouldn't happen over night. ESPN also mention in the article that he had coached the Adelaide 36ers, nice to see the NBL get a little acknowledgment.

Reply #367125 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is that Bradley MacKinnon next to Neon Leon along with Sap & Catt?

Oh man those were the days.

Reply #367132 | Report this post

BJF  
Years ago

Nathan Hawkes

Reply #367134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hawkes never had sideburns did he?

Reply #367137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I though they told him to get rid of those side burns ?

Reply #367171 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

I wonder if he'll recruit his old PG from the Sixers days Rick Brunson from the Bulls bench to be an Asst Coach?

Reply #367175 | Report this post

DB5  
Years ago

36ers get a mention in the Chicago Tribune as well here

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/basketball/bulls/chi-report-mj-tabs-st-johns-assistant-as-next-bobcats-coach-20120618,0,6765887.story

Bulls interviewed him before they hired Del Negro, might have been interesting if they switched that hiring around...Ah Vinny, glad you are gone.

Reply #367178 | Report this post

SpiderGoat  
Years ago

Rick Brunson assistant,.Who's next green, smyth, maher, davis

http://www.csnchicago.com/basketball-chicago-bulls/bulls-talk/Bulls-assistant-accepts-position-with-Bo?blockID=734464&feedID=10332

Reply #368886 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:36 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754