Isaac
Years ago

Aleks Maric gets some NBA workouts

The Sydney-born Maric, who has played the past five years in Europe, including the past two with prominent Greek club Panathinaikos, has revealed he was recently interviewed by four NBA clubs.

He worked out for the Los Angeles Lakers, Los Angeles Clippers and Golden State Warriors and spoke with Houston, having been unable to take to the court in front of Rockets coach Kevin McHale because of scheduling issues.

Advertisement: Story continues below
Maric, 27, who only took up the sport at 16, said the workouts had gone 'very well' as he attempts to join fellow Australians Andrew Bogut and Patty Mills in the world's premier basketball competition. He knows a strong Olympic campaign will strengthen his hopes.
Full story

Topic #28570 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Could play in the NBA but dont think he ever will.

If he puts up another tournament in London like he did at the last WC's he'll get laughed out of the joint.

Reply #367131 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Maric's size and strength could be well suited to the NBA role.

I wish him all the best and hope he can make it.

A good showing in London as the starting centre for the Boomers will go a very long way to making that dream a reality.

Reply #367138 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Absolutely LC. If he can produce his Partizan numbers for the Boomers, and lead us into the medal round, NBA teams will definitely take notice.

Reply #367139 | Report this post

Commander  
Years ago

7 footers don't grow on trees, could Baynes make it also given his all Greek first team honours?

Reply #367141 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Whilst there are tons of 7 footers in the NBA and plenty more trying to crack it, Baynes at 6'10" would be a PF in the NBA and he's way too slow for that.

Reply #367144 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

There arent as many 7-footers around as people think. I think if Maric made it though it would be as insurance who can come on and use fouls. One thing in his favour is how good he is in pick-and-roll situations.

Reply #367146 | Report this post

Average_OKKA  
Years ago

Put up 20 and 20 and other massive numbers when Partizan toured the NBA a few years back.....

Reply #367149 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Luis Scola ain't exactly Usain Bolt and he did fine as a 27 year old rookie.

While Maric's offensive arsenal isn't on par with scola's, he is more than capable of playing in the NBA. He has great hands and is a good finisher around the rim.

Reply #367153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He certainly wasn't a good finisher around the rim at the WC's he looked horrendous. I'm not saying he couldn't play in the NBA, been worse stiffs than him play in the show but ne need to have a far better showing in London than he did in Turkey.

Scola has/had far more ability than either Maric or Baynes though although I do remember Maric having that 20/20 game in an exhibition game against the Nuggets 2-3 years ago.

Reply #367156 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

As pointed out, Baynes is a 6'10" beast and definitely has the size and muscle. Would be an undersized centre but then again there are plenty of them running around at the moment in the NBA...

Maric is a very good NBA prospect as a back up centre.

Reply #367183 | Report this post

curtley  
Years ago

The thing that holds back guys like this if they were to make the NBA is the lack of training in the NBA, coupled with the lack of game time.

Reply #367195 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Maric or Baynes style of player would be ideal for the heat who need a tough inside centre imo. I would love to see them sign Maric as a potentially cheap/risky option.

I think his best bet for NBA is to have a massive Olympics, as surely the best players at the Olympics, especially bigs would atract some NBA interest.

He doesnt need to neccesarily be a big scorer just a monster on the boards and defensively, and efficient with any shots he does get, i reckon that would attract some NBA interest for Maric and help Australias winning chances.

Reply #367218 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

definitely think the success of pekovic last season will increase the prospects for another bulky unathletic big like maric.. especially if people look at the splits and realise it wasn't all because of rubio..

Reply #367407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

will increase his chances youre right, but he certainly isnt as good as pekovic.

Reply #367411 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:02 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754