Surmdog
Years ago

Garnett re-signs with Celtics for three years

Kevin Garnett has resigned with Boston for 3 years $34 million
This should end his career in Boston.

Ray Allen is yet to put pen to paper as Miami have made him there #1 target this offseason and are in hot pursuit to sign the veteran guard to a 1 year $3 million deal.

Lamar odom was traded to the clippers for mo Williams who ended up in utah as part of a 4 team trade

Steve Nash looks likely to move to the either Dallas or newyork all though Toronto are going after him pretty strong.

Minnesota is going for gasol trying to place him and Rubio together with love Most likely the deal will involve beasley and possibly ridnour or Derrick Williams.

Topic #28645 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

I doubt Ray Allen would play for Miami, Paul Pierce would disown him...

Reply #368467 | Report this post

Average_OKKA  
Years ago

Oh, I thought he resigned.

Reply #368471 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Imagine how many open looks he'd get in miami! It would be a good fit IMO...

Reply #368473 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Definitely be a good fit but I just don't see him doing it, especially when the Celtics were a healthy Avery Bradley away from beating the Heat in the ECF this past season.

If he went to Miami he'd be knocking down those shots all season that Mike Miller and Shane Battier always miss (except, of course, when they started hitting them with ridiculous efficiency in the finals).

Reply #368474 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

nash is a good chance to play for toronto they are offering 12 million a season

Reply #368477 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Great news for Celtics fans that he has resigned. Not so happy it was for 3 years, but it seems an immutable law of the NBA that superstars always get one more year than they should on their final contract. Kind of a golden handshake I guess.

They're going to have to manage his minutes even better next season though. Even though KG was playing great defence right up to the end, you could see that his offence dropped off as the playoffs wore on (last two games v Miami 14 & 7 and 12 & 5).

I actually hope they can get enough big man help to only play KG 20 mins a game until the home stretch of the regular season, instead getting him to spend more time mentoring guys like Stiemsma, Melo and Sullinger. If they can do this and get to the playoffs (even if its as the 8th seed) I think it'd be worth it.

The team currently has KG, Pierce, Bradley, Rondo, JJ Johnson, E'twan Moore, Sullinger and Melo signed. That comes to almost $45 mill and the salary cap is expected to be $61 mill, so they've basically got $16 mill to sign a couple of good F/A's and fill out the rest of the team with vet minimum contracts.

Assuming Jeff Green would play for a slight discount on the $9 mill he was offered prior to his heart problem, that leaves up to about $8 mill for another good FA (maybe a few mill more if the Celtics were to trade away some of their recent draftees).

I'd like to see the Celtics try for Kaman, who would give them another big with some height, a post game and decent rebounding.

Maybe bring Wilcox back for the MLE and the rest vets like Pietrus and Dooling.

Bass and Ray Allen are probaby goners in this situation, unless either is willing to play very cheap.

That would give the Celtics:

Kaman Stiemsma Melo
KG Wilcox Sullinger
Pierce Green Johnson
Bradley Pietrus Joseph
Rondo Dooling Moore

Reply #368480 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Surprised he resigned, but good to see KG will still be playing, showed why he is a future hall of famer, still such a talented player after all these years.

Celtics def. need another strong fast big thats a shot blocker/rebounder and inside presence, they missed so many second chance points against opposition last year because they didn't have anyone contesting the boards beside KG. Someone like Serge Ibaka would make a huge difference to this team.

Reply #368484 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

I hope they go after OJ Mayo; he could be the spark they need off the bench. Then they could have a 3 guard rotation of Rondo, Bradley and Mayo (Bradley playing point when Rondo sits).
They got killed the second unit this year, they just did not have the offensive talent to compete and it really hurt the Celtics. Meant they could not really rest the big 4.
All in all some exciting times. Agree with Beantown though, 3 years? 1 year too long for sure

Reply #368490 | Report this post

Joshuapending  
Years ago

Yep great news, now sign Jef Green. I see Memphis are looking at ray, maybe they can do a sign and trade with OJ straight up.

Reply #368494 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I liked what Bass gave them last year esp. in the playoffs. Unless there is someone better out there I'd be re-upping him as a priority.

Reply #368495 | Report this post

Maxx  
Years ago

I hate how one word can have two opposite meanings :)

resigns or re-signs

Reply #368496 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

3 Years? And he was thinking of retiring?

To be fair Ray Allen would be a great fit for just about any team where he wasn't the number one option on offence.

re-signs/resigns is similar to flammable and inflammable, except they both have the same meaning so they're really nothing alike.

Reply #368502 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mick, Bass was solid, but most commentators think he will want a long-term deal and too much money for the Celtics to keep him when they need frontcourt help for KG and a good wing to reduce Pierce's workload.

Some people are talking about a sign and trade sending Bass out for something in return. Mayo has been mentioned, but I can't see Memphis wanting Bass when they already have Z-Bo, Gasol and Speights.

JoshuaP that's not a bad idea if Memphis are still interested in Ray. Would Ray consider Memphis as a destination though? Possible I guess, as the Griz are a decent team who would benefit from Ray's 3 ball.

I definitely think chasing Mayo should be a lower priority than signing Green and landing a good FA big man though.

I think a healthy Bradley and Pietrus is enough at SG, whereas KG, Stiemsma, Sullinger, Melo and maybe Wilcox isn't going to cut it on the frontline.

Reply #368503 | Report this post

celtic green  
Years ago

To Beantown; So Kaman is your number 1 FA for them to sign this year? I can see that. Though with Sullinger there and KG able to cover Centre as well I think it is bad for Fab Melo (maybe they are bringing him in like Bradley to give him a year or 2 and they don't expect much this year?).
I still think they need either Mayo or Ray off the bench to add some punch off there. I see they offered Ray $12 million over 2 years

Reply #368686 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:47 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754