paul
Years ago

Australia v Russia - Stankovic Cup

Live now on FIBA TV and Fox Sports too (?). Aussies up 36-25 at half time.

Topic #28700 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

In the early game China beat Tunisia 85-54. I thought Tunisia would have been a lot better than that after a strong Afrobasket last year? Either they arent or it's not their firs team I suppose?

Reply #369302 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

I thought Steindl was skinny... then I saw Dane Pineau come on lol

Reply #369307 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

worst commentating ever. clear foul = amazing defense

Reply #369309 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

how young is this russian team?

Reply #369310 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cody Ellis, Jason Cadee and Mitch Norton impressive so far Hugh Greenwood I don't know what all the hype is about him

Reply #369311 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

The worst basketball commentator of all time, reading off the roster (height weight etc) does not a good commentator make.

And the fact that he cannot pronounce Cadee correctly (calls it like a golfer)

Incredibly average Australian roster (Pineau and Harris-Tunks specifically)

Did they just randomly pick the team?

So many better players around (Norton, Greenwood and Steindl can stay) that are still young

Reply #369312 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why does Greenwood get so much hype?

Caddee still such an unconventional PG, so casual and looks as though he's about to turn the ball over every possession yet is still very effective and talented.

Reply #369313 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Who was number 7 for Australia? He may develop into a great talent and is probably only young but I swear an inflatable wind dancer would have been more effective

Reply #369315 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

That was Dane Pineau. He was well out of his depth wasnt he?

Reply #369318 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

The biggest brick of a commentator i've ever heard.

How good is Cadee. Very impressive. Norton looks good too. Good Aussie guard talent on display

I think Greenwood will get better. Still early days yet. Definately needs to keep backing himself to shoot.

Reply #369321 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The other two had the chance to train and in Cadee's case play against pros, that can only help them develop quickly.

Greenwood's hype comes from him making the all-tournament team at the U19 WCs, which is a super effort. His issue is being a tweener, but he will be good.

Reply #369325 | Report this post

Years ago

cadee impressed

Reply #369326 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah, Cadee was by far and away the best player on court. Norton also looked like a very composed player. Ellis, Stiendl and Greenwood did some nice things, while Blanchfield is capable of having a big impact on that level of game but really needs to work on his fundamentals to be an international player.

Reply #369327 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there any box scores for these games?

Reply #369329 | Report this post

smoovy  
Years ago

The only excuse for that commentator is if the normal commentator was killed in a car accident on the way to the stadium and they found someone from the crowd to fill in.

He didn't even know the rules.

Reply #369342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Very average commentating, just as monotone as the regular euro league commentators.

When Greenwood plays for the boomers he doesn't do much to
Impress I figured he must light it up when he gets more minutes in
More junior national Australian teams, but watching him play in a team with not a great deal of talent there is no need for him to act like a roll player and not be aggressive. If he has the talent like ppl say then he def needs to start showing it

Reply #369343 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He played ok, no one wants a player in international basketball to be trying to prove how good they are, just do your job and help the team win. With Cadee dominating there was no need for him to do any more.

Reply #369346 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

I think the commentator was under the impression that this was the full strength boomers playing a junior russian team. I think its safe to say this would be Boomers C or D team.

Yeah Greenwood was okay, still don't know why there were calls from some that he should have made the Boomers side..I agree Paul no one wants to see a player trying to prove everything to everyone at International level, but he doesn't have the effortless talent like Ingles does, so he should probably be more aggressive.

Reply #369351 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

The Russian side seemed much more athletic than the boomers, how many times did Ellis get blocked! at 6'8" he should perhaps dunk some of those layups.

Reply #369352 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Owen Odigie looks like he's got some hops

Reply #369353 | Report this post

Rasheed30  
Years ago

If I hear "great effort" again my head will explode

Reply #369356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LOl hillarious. if that was australias full strength team id top myself off...most of the best college polayers werent even there... half of these guys are pretty close to nameless. I noted that simmons/exuym were playing u/17 for aus so thats excuseable, but wheres wagstaff? Madgen? Bose? come on... that Australia team couldnt beat an NBL team i am pretty sure...

Reply #369359 | Report this post

cliff  
Years ago

whist this was a c or d team for us it is still great to see live basketball featuring youngsters.

Who does Ellis play for by the way?

Reply #369367 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Ellis plays with Saint Louis University
Billikens

Reply #369370 | Report this post

Tru Blue Emcee  
Years ago

excuse my ignorance, but what was the end score?

Reply #369381 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Aussie's won by about 15? Led most of the way but kept letting Russia back in it. Russia definitely the taller team, and overall more athletic.

Reply #369400 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Not being harsh but i think this was a D team at best, possibly an E team. think of all the good players that didnt make the olympic team that would be in the B team, then you could pick alot of better NBL players in team C, so definately a D maybe E team. Would have liked to seen Anthony Drmic, Brock Motum with a few NBL guys.

Reply #369401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

E team would be generous one would think. I would suggest almost every NBL roster would have a few guys closer to a bomers spot thern the ones on the floor. Just from Adelaide Mitch Creek, Daniel Johnson and even Steven weigh come to mind.. these guys probably arent set in stone boomers but closer to the nameless types of last night. Alex Loughton, and when it comes to young guns cameron gliddon wouldve been Ok if yoru really gonna go for young...Anthony petrie to me shouldve made the Boomers camp, and shouldve at very least been on the stankovic cup, but obviously not. Chris Goulding isnt exactly boomers calibre but couldve made the stanko team with flying colors, Jesse Wagstaff? to a lesser extent Greg Hire? Madgen Bose?

I dont know but that looks like most of a better team right there to me.

Reply #369404 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

seeing it was a spoiler thread....what the hell was the end score ??

Reply #369408 | Report this post

skull  
Years ago

seeing it was a spoiler thread....what the hell was the end score ??

Reply #369409 | Report this post

wasportsfan1  
Years ago

i would like to see Ellis in a Wildcats Jersey in the future!

Reply #369424 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

AUS 76 - RUS 61

Reply #369432 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754