Isaac
Years ago

Knicks may not match 'ridiculous' Lin offer

Sounds like the New York Knicks might not match the offer to Jeremy Lin by the Houston Rockets. The offer, loaded to the tune of $14m or so in the third year, has been termed "ridiculous" by Knicks player Carmelo Anthony.

No doubt the pressure is on the Knicks to pay up for their player, but is Melo really one to be so critical of a team-mate's fortunes?

Yes, everyone is thinking it's a big offer to a semi-proven player, but surely there's a nicer way to phrase that?

In other Knicks news, Jason Kidd has been picked up for DWI after crashing his car after a night out.

Topic #28769 | Report this topic

No Deal!!  
Years ago

It's only ridiculous in the 3rd year for the Knicks. Due to a loophole in the new CBA the contract is $5m the first 2 years then $15m in the 3rd but for the Rockets its spread as approximately $8m across all 3 years.

The Rockets have done the same with the offer sheet to Asik.

Reply #370500 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

If true, that's quite a low thing to say.

Talking about other peopl'e contract like that.

Reply #370503 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I suppose it all comes down to how you'd rather spend your money.

With Carmelo, you get a guy who can be a super-star when he's on song, but whose selfishness generally leads to the rest of his team playing worse and getting frustrated, and so is often likely to lead to losses.
With Lin, you get a low-key guy who shows potential, makes his team-mates better, and lifts everyone's spirits and unselfish team ethic.

Sure, Carmelo scored heaps in the finals, but we'll never know if the team would have done better without him.

To go far in the finals, give me JLin over Carmelo any day.

Reply #370507 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Quote is taken out of context, Camby, 'Melo clearly stated in that interview that he wants Lin back and that it's up to management.

The Rockets are crazy with the offer they made to Asik, but this one makes sense from a business perspective ie. re-tapping into the market they forged with Yao's stardom.

If I were New York I'd be hesitant to match. That's a lot of money for a guy who turns the ball over that much, and who doesn't fit into the coach's system. Word is Knicks owner values loyalty and was spurned by the fact that Lin signed the Houston offer sheet.

While I won't defend bad shot-selection, 'Melo proved in Denver he can make a decent run into the finals.

Reply #370510 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

I'm no Linsan!ty fan bo!....but it seems the whole team were happier during that Linsanity Stretch.

Tyson Chandler, Novak, Fields were all getting looks and the ball when Lin was point.

Reply #370512 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

While I agree, I think that the coach has to be tougher on Carmelo. You can't let him run the team because he'll just eat the offense.

He is that talented a scorer, he can be a positive if used the right way.

Knicks need a real coach, bottom line, and they haven't had one for years.

Reply #370516 | Report this post

Aussie  
Years ago

my guess is carmelo doesn't get along with lin due to melo wanting the ball in his hands all the time even though the team was more successful with lin in and melo out

Reply #370518 | Report this post

Port  
Years ago

Like Mike said, some important words have been left out of this quote.

Melo clearly says "I would love to see him back".

In regards to the pricing of the contract, can you blame his judgement, Lin has only had what, 15 legit NBA games (all filled with epic excitement)?

In regards to Lin, I hope he goes on to do great things, it's a great story and no doubt will inspire many.

Reply #370524 | Report this post

alexkrad  
Years ago

Lin is worth it on merch sales alone.

Clogging up the salary cap probably causing some problems in regards to having a team that can go far in the playoffs is the downside though.

Reply #370525 | Report this post

threeball  
Years ago

Not a good move by the Knicks, their current point guard rotation has an average age of 34.

They must also not be happy with Kidd crashing his car into a pole - if he or Felton were unavailable due to injury or whatever misadventure they find themselves in, their lack of depth will be exposed. Prigioni taking this team to the ECF? Not convinced.

Lin, or any other of the bad contracts (Amare?) they have on their books can be moved later on - the poison pill does not take effect til year 3. By then you would know if he is the real deal or not.

I want Lin to stay as much as the next Knicks fan - but it seems as if there are also personal agendas behind this circus and he should get away from the Knicks front office.

Lin personally may be better off in Houston where he definitely will have the reigns to the team. He'll have to deliver, but without the blinding lights of MSG.

Unfortunately unless Howard is also headed there, Lin will toil in obscurity and the Rockets current roster will not win much in the next few years.

Reply #370531 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Goes to show that his value as a basketball is not tempting teams to bust their cap with the tax issues. The Rockets know they have a strong Asian market connection and this will help their cause with Jpward as they have a ton of space for MAX deal and for him to be the big fish!!

As posted a couple of weeks back on the Kidd thread: "For all the Lin mania he's not a proven player long term and will the luxury tax be offset by potential jersey sales?

NYK should let him walk and sign a more cost effective guard to back up Kidd (seen Ray Felton suggested)."

Reply #370533 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

I'd love him back at Knicks, but with Felton back, I'm happy with him gone. Felton played great while at Knicks, and if can duplicate that stretch again then will be a much better option at 10mil for 3 years... Lin has a huge upside obviously, but I just don't think with Melo and Amare there together that he can be as effective. Houston will suit him perfectly, and expect him to have a big season if he goes there in the end

Reply #370536 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Hey Mick, whos a legit coach? Jackson?

How would Brett Brown go? Pop reckons he's a head coach in the making!!

Reply #370566 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

SMA: Felton is the starter, he won't be backing up anybody.

Reply #370616 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

BTW Melo hated it when Lin was injured & it was all someone else!

Reply #370660 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mick, still s aid it was a ridiculous contract - not exactly carefully phrased.

Reply #370666 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:41 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754