think about it
Years ago

Coach Wright looking for work - 36ers?

Coach Joey Wright is looking for a job.
How about them Adelaide 36ers?

they have a good team now, it would be the last piece of the puzzle.
A good coach.....

Topic #28899 | Report this topic

Mick  
Years ago

While I'm not the biggest Wright fan, he Would actually be a good fit for this roster.

Reply #372677 | Report this post

mungo  
Years ago

id pay money not to have joey here. hes an overrated chump.

Reply #372682 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i reckon you should do it and not exist in 5 years.

That would be awesome.

Reply #372683 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Give him a crap team and lets see if he can really coach. Overated!!!

Reply #372684 | Report this post

think about it  
Years ago

Ok, so my point has been made.
Everyone(36er fans) hate on coach Clarke, but presented with an altnerative and available coach fan's can still see negatives with coach Wright who is a championship coach.....

Will see how Clarke works out this year

Reply #372686 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I'd expect Wright to sit out a year and make a run at the Brisbane team (if they enter the league in 2013-14)

Reply #372687 | Report this post

lukn4atitle  
Years ago

For a new team he would be the WRIGHT! choice for a coach.

Reply #372693 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Wright may not be able to coach a thin roster, but that is not the measure of a good coach in itself.

Some coaches can make a crappy roster better than the sum of its parts, but may struggle getting an all-star roster to fulfill its potential (eg. Don Nelson); while some coaches are elite at coaching top-tier teams, but couldn't coach a bottom feeder team off the bottom (Phil Jackson). On one hand you can say Wright had it easy coaching that loaded Brisbane team to a championship, but at the same time -- cap rort or not is beside the point -- it takes a lot of psychological management skill and tact to coach a team full of individuals of that calibre.

It's horses for courses.

That said, Clarke definitely deserves to have a crack at next season with this fuller roster, but he should be judged on his merits and production.

Clarke now has a few young pieces to continue to develop, but championship expectations and some of the league's best players also.

He can no longer hang his hat on the growth of any of the youngsters, the only apt measurement is the number of Ws that all-important column at the end of the year. Let's see how he can multi-task.

Even for those who rabidly defended his rebuilding/development work in "Title Town", there is no doubt that phase of the franchise is now well and truly over, and we will finally see what Clarke The Professional Men's Basketball Coach is made of, without any excuses -- from him or his supporters -- to fall back on.

Interesting times ahead. The franchise is in a good position either way.

Reply #372695 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mungo is Jason Cadees nickname! I wonder if thats him? lol

Reply #372699 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Is Marty gonna teach his players how to set screens this year??? That would be a great start

Reply #372706 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

Anyone but Clarke.

Literally anyone on the entire planet.

The busker in Gawler place with the dog.

Keyboard guy from Rundle Mall.

A random bus driver.

Just... anyone.

Reply #372727 | Report this post

Auburns  
Years ago

You guys are unreal. You'll all be sorry that you want to see the back of Marty Clarke. Marty is a world class coach in the tier of Bevo and Lemanis. He has coached with the cupboard pretty bare compared to most other teams (whether it be the roster itself or being hit with injury), so the results of the Sixers in recent times is not an indicator of what the guy can do.

Marty Clarke era AIS players are among the country's best currently. Plus was he not at the helm of the AIS Men's team that won the SEABL title?

I think we should stop wanting a dynasty yesterday and accept that the roster was what it was, the coach kept them competitive in the league at that time, and now the future looks brighter with some new additions.

Judge Marty after a season or two with this current group. I'm confident you'll all be eating your words

Reply #372749 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

Hmmm

"Marty Clarke era AIS players are among the country's best currently"

interesting point Auburns - you clearly put some thought into that one !

Since Marty had been at the AIS for well over a decade - those before his time are playing Vets , and of course it was the cream of the junior crop that went to the AIS in the first place -

Fail to see your point really

Reply #372779 | Report this post

EC  
Years ago

Happy Days,
Give Clarke a great team and lets see if he can really coach.

Reply #372849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

AIS won a East Conference SEABL title.
They went to to lose an 11 point 1/2 time lead and a 5 point 3/4 time lead, to lose the National Men's Final. Bogut included didn't get the job done.

Reply #372870 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

I'd be ecstatic if Clarke did well for this club. I really would.

But how many times do we finish last and say "That's ok tiger, give it another shot".

Reply #372871 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

dont be ridiculous. those on the committee in bris made it very clear they did not want wright to coach again. any stories youve been told otherwise are complete self flattering fabrication on wrights part. hes only interested in money even at the expense of a clubs future and stability. nothing changed when he went to the gc he was still demanding there and stupid tomlinsons bowed down to his demands. a third team doing that would be idiocy. he wont get out of bed for well above his worth anyway and like above poster said, hire him then have your club die a few years from now.

Reply #372885 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The pressure is truly on Marty to win games or he will be sacked. 36ers have
met with Coach Wright letting them know they will stay in touch.

Reply #372895 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

The 36ers should have a good year this year IMO and if not, it really is time up for Clarke. He might be a good coach but hasn't done well with that organisation. Gleeson would be a much better fit for them than Wright IMO. He's a seasoned coach that proved time and again in Townsville that he has the ability to get the most out of his talent. My guess is Wright will head back over to the US.

Reply #372946 | Report this post

Loco  
Years ago

All part of the three year plan.

Year 1 - Last
Year 2 - Last
???
Year 3 - Profit

Reply #372980 | Report this post

mungo  
Years ago

joey is staying in australia, may take on a seabl role. nbl clubs wont touch him.

Reply #374579 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 3:53 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754