billo
Years ago

Non-Boomers Olympics Chat

Some interesting results in other games last night, in particular the closeness of Brazil v GB. Brazil ended up coming away 5 point victors but it looks like things were pretty tight the whole way through and at quarter time GB were up 11-4. Yes, that's not a typo, the GB defense held Brazil to 4 points in a quarter, this doesn't bode well for a Boomers squad whose offence isn't exactly firing on all cylinders. If we go into our game against GB already chalking it up as a win we risk getting a massive tusk up the runter.

Another interesting result was France taking down Argentina, not exactly an upset as France are obviously very strong but I probably would have expected Argentina to win that one.

The other results were as expected, USA pumping Tunisia, Russia comfortably beating China and Lithuania 20 odd points too strong for Nigeria.

If I had Foxtel and nothing to do during the day I reckon I could easily stay up and just watch 6 straight games of Olympics hoops every 2nd night, so many good teams in action with the stakes for every game so high.

Topic #28908 | Report this topic

Drug Cheat  
Years ago

3 Big problems with the current state of the Olympics.

1) The Aussies are rubbish.

2) Some moron Oz swimmers are wearing a white cap, please make the yellow cap mandatory.

2) No Bruce commentary (Olympics not SPECIAL)

Reply #372936 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Another problem: Australian media expectations.

Reply #372938 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Another problem - C9 spends too much time with their presenters on screen rather than showing live Olympic action!

C9 should have one channel dedicated to the live action - whatever sport that may be - and the other channel showing news type highlights, results and interviews. Given the current FTA laws, this should be possible and give those who cannot afford Foxtel the best possible outcome given the laws involved.

Reply #372941 | Report this post

Rat10  
Years ago

I wouldn't have picked France to get over Argentina - bit of a surprise there. Looks like they got nothing out of anyone except for Ginobli and Scola.

Big surprise with Great Britain as well getting so close to Brazil. Even though they have Luol Deng it would be a massive embarrassment for us to lose to the poms.

Billo, I could quite easily watch all the basketball as well if I didn't have to work. The Ipad Foxtel ap is awesome. In fact, I'm in Adelaide on holiday next week so I might just do that!

Reply #372987 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Shame Foxtel did not offer the online package to new customers as a stand alone service...I would have invested in a 1-month online subscription.

Reply #372992 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Argentina just missed open shot after open shot and France did enough to win. They got a quick start and just managed to keep their noses in front whenever Argentina challenged.

As for GB v Brazil, the reffing in this game was absolutely atrocious (it has been the worst-reffed FIBA tournament I have seen) and it turned into WWF.

GB did a great job of hanging tough but over the course of the game made too many little errors (easy missed shots, missed defensive assingments, turnovers) to get the upset, and took over three quarters to find any sort of answer for Huertas' use of the on-ball.

Nigeria shot the ball woefully, at one point they were 19 down in the second shooting 6/31! They got it back close at the half but were thrashed in the end by a team they beat pretty well three weeks ago.

The issue for them was after the OQT they only had enough money to get back together three days before the Olympics and it has shown in their first two games.

Reply #373000 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Huertas = Beast of a PG

Seriously, Delly should look at him and try to play to become a player like him.

Both are similar size : Huertas 6"3, Delly 6"4

Both have similar athleticism: Not a very good 1st step.

Huertas has 18 turnovers and just 4 turnovers over 2 games.
He is so controlled, runs the offence expertly and gets him teammates into beautiful positions.

I think it shows you that Delly will struggle to play in NBA.
Not even a guy like Huertas can get a look in

Reply #373022 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

I don't think there's much doubt that Huertas could cut it in the NBA is there? For whatever reason he just hasn't gone after it.

Reply #373184 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:46 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754