Isaac
Years ago

Lauren Jackson all-time top Olympic womens scorer

After a decent outing against Brazil last night with the Opals, Lauren Jackson is now the top all-time Olympic points scorer in women's basketball!

Topic #28920 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Does anyone think Penny Taylor is better?

Its' an interesting debate.

Reply #373097 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

That's like waiting for someone's wedding then calling out "Anyone think she should've married x instead?" Let her have a thread honouring the achievement!

Reply #373100 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

Jackson is the greatest female basketballer, and arguably the best ever male or female, that Australia has ever produced.

Amazing achievement and lets hope the Opals can cap off her Olympic career with a medal.

Reply #373101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Absolutely fantastic achievement

Reply #373103 | Report this post

Anon12  
Years ago

Lauren took over the title from Lisa Leslie, and in less games. Great see Lauren overtake Leslie.

Reply #373114 | Report this post

Jez  
Years ago

Could have used her as a spot-up shooter in the Boomers...

Reply #373116 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Amazing effort. I believe we now have the record holder in men's and women's.

Reply #373120 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Apparently Janeth Arcain from Brazil is actually the all-time leading scorer. FIBA made an error.

Reply #373123 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

The Situation, Arcain is still or was rather than Leslie?

Arcain seems to have played at three Olympic events. Is that correct?

Jackson is playing in her fourth.

Reply #373161 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

If my maths is correct, Arcain scored 450 points in three Olympics, Jackson was on 448 before this tournament.

Reply #373167 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What about Leslie?

If Jackson was on 448 prior to the games and Arcain's 450 was the record, LJ would've broken the record much earlier.

Reply #373171 | Report this post

Gordon Liddy  
Years ago

Every record anyone ever achieved is, to my mind, diminished by the fact that no one better than that person ever competed and therefore it is impossible to determine whether or not that person is in fact the best at whatever it is they have done to achieve that record or merely the best out of the people that actually competed. That is unless I approve of the person who has achieved the record. In this instance, I approve. Lauren Jackson (aka Jennifer Linderwell) is a-okay in my books.

Reply #373181 | Report this post

billo  
Years ago

Every record anyone ever achieved is, to my mind, diminished by the fact that no one better than that person ever competed and therefore it is impossible to determine whether or not that person is in fact the best at whatever it is they have done to achieve that record or merely the best out of the people that actually competed.

I know you're having a bit of a joke, but in a lot of sports I think that's pretty accurate, for instance how many people have actually attempted slalom kayak? IMO events like the 100m sprint are the most impressive to win because virtually every single person on the face of the earth has had a go at running as fast as they can so to be better than all of them is truly impressive.

Reply #373186 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Australian Opals ?@AussieOpals

1/2 FIBA has corrected their earlier advice that @laurenej15 has broken the Olympic women's bball scoring record.
2/2 Lauren's 497 pts is actually 2nd behind Brazil's Janeth Arcain on 535 - FIBA's database apparently had a glitsch

Thats all I know.

Reply #373208 | Report this post

Snappello  
Years ago

My fave part was the 9 coverage going to an ad break just before she was about to hit that free throw to set the new mark. Couldn't just have waited 1 minute before going to their incessant advertising for Howzat and Big Brother.

Reply #373212 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Looking at the FIBA archive again, the issue is they have Arcain as two different players - one who played in the 1992 Olympics, and then another who played in the 1990 WCs and then from 94 to 06.

Reply #373214 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Here's the link for her full stats:

http://archive.fiba.com/pages/eng/fa/p/q/arcain/pid//_//players.html

Reply #373216 | Report this post

Latrentis  
Years ago

Well with the way LJ is playing even if she is behind Arcain she will break the record in the next few games (again).

Reply #373223 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

She has now taken the record, as of the fourth quarter in the game against China.

Reply #374436 | Report this post

LC  
Years ago

We done LJ!

Reply #374438 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done Lauren. What a fantastic achievement!

Reply #374484 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754