Happy Days
Years ago

Townsville Crocs sign import Jason Forte

Townsville to announce first import tonite.Anybody have a name???

Topic #28985 | Report this topic

paul  
Years ago

Mine's Paul.

Reply #374319 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

^ Best post i've seen on here for some time!

6ft 5 guy who can play the 1, 2 & 3!

Reply #374320 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

@ Nat: so this is the combo guard we have been hearing about?

Any word on a name, or progress on the import big?

Reply #374331 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

6ft 5 guy who can play the 1, 2 & 3!

--------------------------------

Sounds good. We dont often get those guys in the league, but that type of player (Mee, Tucker, Hodge, Bowen, Rose) are usually very well suited for the style of game we have.

Reply #374336 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If he's half the player Rob Rose was, I'll be happy as a Crocs fan.

Reply #374338 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He'll be one of the most exciting players in the league. Depending on who the 36ers, Hawks & Tigers pick up.. Could very well be THE most exciting player in the league.

Dunks with power and fiance

Reply #374339 | Report this post

Nick  
Years ago

Nathaniel Lester

Reply #374341 | Report this post

ziah  
Years ago

oooooooo now I'm excited! That's a big call to make Nat!

Reply #374346 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

He dunks with his fiance? She must be bloody athletic!

Reply #374356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He dunks with his fiance? She must be bloody athletic!

I think he left out the 'n', he dunks with his finance(s)?

Reply #374358 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I stand by my first post ;)

Reply #374361 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jason Forte.

Scouting reports on Jason suggest he has a high basketball IQ, great defender, good passer, can shoot from range and will out work anyone on the floor. He will also be one of the most exciting players to watch with his powerful in your face dunks.

Forte is listed as a small forward but can play either guard position and the wing. Sources have told ATF that the Crocs will take a risk and use Forte as their starting point guard.
Nat has some video highlights on his site.

Reply #374376 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Stats say he isnt much of a shooter and hasnt played much in any high quality leagues, his video says he is unbelievably athletic!!

Will be interested to see how he goes, youd think the Crocs will be looking to play up tempo. OOI - he's another former Yakama Sun King from the CBA coached by Woolpert.

Reply #374377 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Paul love it and now its finance. gone from fiance to finance.

Reply #374383 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Craig winder??

Reply #374384 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sounds like a similar player to Julius Hodge not as talented though but with a better head definitely!!!

Reply #374390 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

What are peoples' thoughts on crocs starting a small forward at the one? Will he be able to run an offense or will he slide back to his natural position midseason?

Woolpert said he was looking for a big combo guard but this guy ain't no combo guard.

Will provide the lineup with a bit of versatility in any sense, we will likely see a huge lineup shift after that first sub comes on at the start of the game.

Reply #374391 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Also good to see the crocs grab an import who is in his prime age-wise.

Wouldn't think he'd demand too big a pay check given he has been playing in the phillipines, which makes me excited for whoever the other import is...

Reply #374394 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

will he keep up with Jackson?

Reply #374401 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

A big risk without a pure point guard to run the show

Reply #374411 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I guess the plan is to give Norton a go, a bit like the 36ers with Cadee, and then have Norton supported by the import and Cedar bros. I like the sound of this import, if he is anything close to the Rob Rose level they will do well.

Reply #374412 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

He's not, completely different player. More a poor man's Donta Smith.

Reply #374417 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

He can play the 1, but i wouldn't say he's a 1. I would have him starting on the wing or off the ball. Fill in at the 1 if there's foul trouble or injuries. But crocs are using him as a 1 and he will slide to the 2 when Norton or Cedar come on.

Reply #374449 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Woolpert has said they have made a contract offer to a 6"10' import who is "much younger and more inexperienced" than Forte, but tough as hell inside.

Sounds promising. You only seem to get decent import bigs in this league when they are young and without much of a resume. Hopefully it's locked in sooner rather than later.

Reply #374461 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Nat, sounds like a big gamble to me.

Reply #374470 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Isaac - I don't really agree with it, but they have the insurance of Chris Cedar, who IMO can start at this point in his career if it all goes South.

Don't spit your coffee out, but Forte is basically being asked to be the "Lebron James" of this team. It all really depends on whether he can stick with guys like Jamar Wilson or Cedric Jackson on defense.

I'm not really worried about the other end of the floor.

Reply #374472 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Their offense will (obviously) change a lot without Luke, so not sure what they're going to run next year. Forte is a solid defender but yeah, more a wing defending guarding 3s and has the size to match up with some 4s. Not sure if he can guard Jackson or even Tomlinson. Henry - forget it. He's too fast (but question is can he finish once he gets past his man?).

On the break.. Just get out of the way when Forte is trailing! He's going to dunk on everyone.

Reply #374474 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think youll see a lot of different line-ups from the Crocs. Forte may start at PG but he'll spend plenty of time on the wings. If Holmes, Hinder, Allen can shoot close to their best that should open some things up for his athleticism.

Reply #374477 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Question marks all over the roster:

- Forte as a PG

- Last chance seasons at this club for Ben Allen (effort / production / paycut) and Mick Cedar (effort / production / paycut) and Russell Hinder (age / injury / non-guaranteed contract / huge paycut).

- Will Holmes still be huge now he has that long-term contract extension? His production noticeably dropped off last year after he put pen to paper mid-season.

- Will Chris Cedar and Mitch Norton fulfill their potential now they are the only PGs on the roster?

- Will Blanchfield realise the athletic advantage he has over most players in the league or will he continue play without that killer extinct that he hasn't really showed on any level of ball in this country?

Should make for an interesting season. Lots of storylines. Depending on how it all plays out, Crocs will be in the championship mix along with NZ, Perth, Cairns, with Adelaide taking Gold Coast's place in the NBL top four contention.

Reply #374483 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

I agree Mick. Allen & Cedar were as good as gone when free agency started. But somehow Crocs had a last second change of heart. Not sure if it was a budget thing or thinking there wasn't any other better options on the market. This was before the fall of the Blaze.

Although i'm confident with Mitch Norton's future provided he stays healthy.

Reply #374510 | Report this post

YTC  
Years ago

i kinda liked mims and gill better

Reply #374605 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Gill was frustrating. For every game he singlehandedly won, there was one that he lost for us with his stupid passes and bad volume shooting. Mims was the ultimate enigma - you never knew when he was going to drop 15, 10, 3 steals and 3 blocks, or 5 points and 2 rebounds and foul out.

I liked them both, but they were both just too risky.

On top of that, both were well into their thirties.

Reply #375157 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 12:35 am, Wed 20 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754