Jack Toft
Years ago

ABL Finals Action - Week 1

Women:
Elimination: Centrals v Mavs @ Starplex
Two years in a row we see the Lionesses in the major round. A disturbing trend for some clubs, but great for the Lions. The Mavs in the finals too for the first time since the Chk Chk Boom girl started high school, maybe even primary school. Well done to them. The Lioness have sharp claws and have easily accounted for the Mavs over this season. It's not a matter of if Tess plays well, just a matter of how well. But, COTY Toddy would have a plan to out fox the Mavs. Mmmm Fox, great name for a boy. The Lionesses have more firepower available and at a noisy Lion Den, the pressure will be relentless. Lions to survive another round as the Mavs go Chk Chk Boom.

Qualifying: Rockets v Eagles @ Hillcrest
The Rockets have not been troubled by the Eagles this season and have a huge momentum going into the finals race. The Eagles better munch those apples this week to give them strength. Attention will be on CB who has played 71 minutes this season, an average of just under 9 minutes a game in her 8 qualifying games. Reckon that’ll be much higher this week as they throw everything they can at the Rockets, who have been the quiet achievers this season. The tin shed will be a rocking and rolling tonight and this should be enough for the Rockets to set up a tilt at the Norwood Lightning.

Men:
Elimination: West v Norwood @ Port
Well, a lot could change in two weeks, then again maybe not.... Norwood may have played their final last week and Sturt say thanks for the bragging rights! West looking to not close out the ledger on their season just yet - after all there has been too many tears this week down at the Port. A few seasons ago Belly was Brad’s padawan at the Port, now the two Jedi Masters assemble their skilled Jedis as they fight for sudden death on the Port Adelaide Death Star. Unfortunately for Brad we all know what happened the last time a master like Obi Wan met his padawan. Despite their best efforts, Norwood season will come to a stop tonight, just like Primus’ coaching career.

Qualifying: Eagles v Rockets @ Wayville
Unlike the women, The Feagles have been all over Norf like a Rash. Tucker has enjoyed his outings against them and in both games Feagles have out-boarded the Rockets. Mapunda is man to watch for Rockets fan and should be the barometer of the team. With The Feagles setting the pace for much of the season, they will want to have a second chance at those bloo baggers down the road, who I expect will be watching in the stands like a man with a pair of binoculars at Maslins Beach. This will be a great game and one which should go down to the wire. This has got me more excited than a Mythbusters McGyver special. Feagles too tall and too much firepower outside the arc. Rockets to host West next week.

Topic #29010 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Eastern to beat centrals in a close one. No one to stop Tess and they will triumph!7

Reply #374798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

hoping both norwood sides lose, massive egos.

Reply #374831 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anon 374831 you show your ignorance. Only Norwood men can lose this week. Sounds like sour grapes to me.

Reply #374920 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Probably another disillusioned junior or junior parent who has seen people from outside the club be recruited to block their pathway. If you thought this year was bad then wait for next year where rumors of more recruits are starting to circulate

Reply #374969 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Quote from Willie Jeanette in Southern Times Messenger in relation to his young team:

"With the young team we have, we did it the right way. We didn't go out and get a contracted player playing netball"

Gold!

Reply #375090 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Forestville destroy North in Men

Reply #375228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood men over West

Reply #375230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

feagles to crush sturt next week. Unfortunately Norwood to clip rockets next week.

Reply #375233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Norwood looking good at the right time of the year!

Reply #375253 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well done to North Women for beating Forestville again - with Carla Borego..............

Reply #375269 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ah karma or the basketball gods are speaking back luck forrestville lol

Reply #375272 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh the irony if the Eagles choked next week

Reply #375284 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much being said about the 1st week of playoffs? Forestville looked impressive on paper. Can see them marching straight into the gf this week and them hoping whatever happens Norwood don't roll straight through everyone!?

Reply #375396 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Forestville men to bash sturt this week, Norwood men to steamroll through north and sturt for a 2011 gf rematch. My prediction.

Reply #375428 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Strange but I thought Sturt men finished top - why would they be easy beats for Forestville. Yes I know Eagles beat them twice in the minor round but I wouldn't be dismissing Sturt too lightly. Eagles have been playing inconsistently - their best is very good!

Reply #375433 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah eagles being 2 - 0 up on sturt in minor round, sturt are a great team but i think they will struggle against the experience of the eagles. Plus eagles looked bloody great last week.

Reply #375442 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

Was speaking to a parent of a Forestville player who said their daughter wasn't happy about the whole CB situation and said she has been very disruptive to the group.
They have played a certain way throughout the whole season to then have to change their whole game plan come finals time because CB joins the side.
Will see how it pans out for the team though I guess over the next week or two.
From what I was told Sharon is very good friends with the Netball coach so she was always going to play at Forestville even though a number of teams tried to get CB in the off season.
Was also told that the Thunderbirds paid for her to play at Forestville last season to get her active and in shape! Good deal for the Eagles I guess...

Reply #375444 | Report this post

TIGERSFAN  
Years ago

Hear big romour that Mildura Heat will be in the league next season, they are playing the GF in Big V D1 this weekend and then pulling the pin on Big V, their coach is an ex Adelaide player so that is the connection from what is being said here in Melbourne.
Any info?????

Reply #375680 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That rumour went around in Adelaide a while back but nothing been heard of since

Reply #375689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mildura in CABL?? surely not possible BSA?

Reply #375707 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:03 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754