Hurls
Years ago

Boomers assesment time.

Ok Guys whats our thoughts on The Boomers 2012 campaign? Heres mine. First I am going to rate game byu game, then I am going to rate player by player.. would be fun if others do the same

Game 1: Brazil

This was a game that Australia needed to get to escape the might of the USA in the crossover, and sadly they didnt. They were fairly solid throughout most of the game but when the game got out to a 10 point deficit with 1 quater left.. it became catch up ball and we were lucky to reel it in to within 4... Defense qwas good.. offense was at times very poor but had glimmers...

My score... B-

Game 2: Spain

After a very competitive first half the game started to get very very ugly.. got out to 20 points down, and Pau Gasol was essentially unstoppable.. we looked second rate in this game.. and at this point I was wondering if we might go winless for the whole tournament.. lucky to pull it in to a more respectable 12 point margin in junk time. nothing was clicking...

My score... D+

Game 3: China

For the first quater, it was looking like much of the same. All of a sudden China is draining 3's from everywhere and we are very quickly in an 8 point hole. at this point I was ready to renounce my fanship of the team it was just too ugly to bear... are we REALLY going to lose to China??? i kept saying. Then in the second half... the traits of the Boomers begin to shine through, our defense tightens up and makes scoering a nightmare for them.. they dry up whilst we heat up/... It becomes a 20 point win, but not ina fantastci spurt, more in a slow burn grind that accumilated bit by bit throughtout the last quaters... wasnt exactly spectacular but was solid enough...

My Score B

Game 4: great Britian

Started much the same as did game 3 against China. Britian was hitting shots and we looked shell shocked as if we expected to just waltz in and take the game. when we got 15 down I almost turned the TV off then walked away.. so very disgusted in every facet of the game we were playing. then at the start of the the 3rd quater... BAM... a 15 point deficit turns into a 3 point lead and from there they just didnt look back. 3's were dropping, people were making awesome cuts, Mills was on fire unlike he has ever been before and a 15 point deficit turns into an envigorating 31 point win.

My Score: A-

Game 5: Russia

I dont think any of us thought we would actually nab the game against the white hot russia. but thats just what we did... in control for most of the game and we had an answer at every charge. The last second 3 by Patty was a sheer miracle moment and I am sure will be rmemebered by Basketball fans as a defining moment for this crop of boomers.. everything was on cue

My Score A+

Quaterfinals: USA

Who doesnt love seeing Australia play USA? Just a shame it always has to be in a knockout game! either way there were glimpses of hope, and going into the 4th quater it wasnt unreasonable to think a miracle could happen, down 14 especially when we went on a 11-3 blitz to begin the third quater and we had been esseniallty trading blows for much of the first half. we had the game round 10 agt start of the 4th, then 16... then when kobe knocked it out to 20 it was never comming back, plus our point guards were very tired, guys were in foul trouble and shots that had become easy against spain started to miss inside. however solid 3 point shooting, great heart shown and anyone who watched the game would say that we held our own despite the scoreline.

My Score: B + (despite the last 5 minutes)

Overall it is fair to say I give this team a B+ for this tournament,. Great defense the whole way, and offence began to pick up, showed aussie spirit and pride and didnt back down to the biggest of challenges... we are definitely a national team on the rise and I have high hopes for a medal in the comming years!!!

Now time for player by player grading

David Anderson:

David has been a bit of a mixed bag, he can hit turn around fade aways in the post with consistancy yet struggles sometimes with the easiest of putbacks. it must be said however his offence has dragged us back into games and has been the spark many a time for the team, although he is probably one of the weaker links defensively.. sometimes seems a bit like an unco giraffe with some things he does however on offense was a shining light for the Boomers and hopefully we can have him along for atleats the next world champs

My grade: B+
Future for boomer?: Hopefully

David Barlow:

David has had his minutes hugely cut down since the pre olympics then into the tournament.. and understandably so. outside of a "defensive presence" it is unclear what it is he actually does most of the time on court. His shot has been inconsistant at best and his input into the team minimal... Hasnt had a 'terrible' olympics by any means but has failed to really get his show off the ground in any way.

My score C-
Future Boomer? : un clear, looks like some young guns will cover this position for him by the 2014 worlds

Aron Baynes:

Aron has been prety solid for the bomers, perhaps up there for best big man. Although he has a habit of missing givmmes, cant help but love his alley oop tandom with dellavedova and his work ethic. His basketball IQ could be improved, but I think he more then earns his kee on the team (and this is comming from soeone who hated him last year) and I think theres definitely a future for aron in a boomers uniform

My grade B+
Future Boomer?: yes should definitely think so, even if deep on the bench I think we have a place for baynesy

Peter Crawford:

Poor Peter Crawford. He hasnt really been given a reasonable chance has he? however, outside of his three point shooting he is one of the weaker players on the team... (didnt actually hit a 3 in the olympics out of like... 6?"...however, when on the court, he did all you could really ask of him and he actually scored twice in the dying seconds.. defensively, neither here or there on the team, not on the court enough to really get a read for that.

My Score: C +
Future Boomer?: Too old... congrats on making it

Matthew Dellavedova:

Delly started the tournament in subpar fashion, causing many people to kind of wonder why he was getting as many minutes as he did. But by the China game that thought has well and truly washed away, By far our purest point guard, makes some excellent passes and his Delly to Baynes alley oops were really a highlight for the team. Pulling one off against Team USA was pure magic. Defensively a tough cookie, Offensively pretty safe hands, Intelligent passer, decent shooter... A surprise package all around for the Boomers

My Score: A
Future Boomer?: He will be a backbone of the program

Adam Gibson:

Adam was used sparingly and probably deserved a few more minutes then what he got... relegated to something of a 10th man role.. His minutes when on were pretty good. He hit a few threes, played some consistant D and didnt do anything costly or silly to hinder the Boomers in anyway... for his minutes he performed as well as anyone really could

My Score: B
Future Boomer?: Unless someone comes up, or aaron Bruce re emerges, Gibson might be our 3rd string point guard in the forseeable future

Joe Ingles:

Joe is something of an unsung hero for this team... I would say he was the most consistant contributor. great D, solid shooting, great passes. An NBA prospect one would think... I cant imagine an Australian Boomers team in the next 8-10 years without him in it. Finally delivering on his potential

My Score: A +
Future Boomer: Without a doubt

Aleks MAric:

Not too many positive things can be said about Alek's contribution to the boomers this year. Sluggish and slow, un athletic, un able to keep up with the offence let alone the defense. Only had 1 game where he had any kind of impact and for the rest of the time was either in foul trouble or on the bench or causing some sort of turnover. Whilst some have made strong cases to stay boomers in the 2012 squad, an emergency signal flashes for Aleks MAric saying "replace me quick!" .. I know for a fact Jawai wouldve been more useful.. nevill wouldve been more useful, Khazzouh, Ater Majok even...lol. The list goes on... He really had a crapper of an olympic games and should be very low in consideration for boomers tourneys in future, take schensher or johnson before him seriously.

My Score: D-
Future Boomer:.... should hope not! should be under at least 10 centers on the depth chart by now. best center in europe? i saw nothing to suggest that what so ever.

Patty Mills:

Patty is a double edged sword, comparrable to Shane Heal. He can shoot you into or out of games depending on his form. he is no kind of 'Point Guard'.. he is a small shooting guard with a scorers mentality and should be played that way. HE is one of very few boomers that are capable of heroics the likes of the shot against Russia.. and although he doesnt alwayss take the smartest shots, he is a true asset to the team and something the team needs, someone with the confidence to take and knock down shots. Can be a wirey defender and greta on the fast break... Unless ofcourse hes driving it into 2 people and not deciding to pass it off... which became a habit in the China game. Overall though.. cant be too angry with Patty Mills performance, plus hes barely 23 years old.. the skys the limit for this guy.

My score: A-
Future Boomer:... Obviously!

Brad Newley:

Brad has had a solid, yet not spectacular olympics. He has been handy on the drive and has been a very useful player offensively and defensively however is very much a confidence player. When he hits his outside shot he is very hard to guard but when hes in a slump its gonna be a long night. having said that few get to the basket quite like brad, few defend with as much zeal.. and few in Australia have as mkuch talent as brad does..

My Score B-
Future Boomer: a few guys are stepping up at his position , the Exums and drmics and such.. hes still the forerunner for back up SF.. but not sure how that stgands in future.. I would say yes hes a future boomer, but with some competition

Matthew Neilsen:

Neilsen has been an OK role player, but hasnt really brought anything comparable to his pasty brilliance to the team. A steady head in the crunch time.. but hasnt had a fantastic olympics. Solid, but unspectacular..

My Score: C
Future Boomer: retired

Mark Worthington:

Mark Worthington did exactly what you need Mark Worthington to do and did it perfectly. Get in there, grab reboundsa, be an annoyance to the other team. Hustle, pick up a few cheap points here or there... He is the Dillon Boucher of the Boomers..

My Score: A
Future Boomer: Most likely...

Topic #29011 | Report this topic

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Nice run down..

I can't help but think what Aus could have done if Maric was replaced with Jawai, Ogilvy or even Khazzouh. He had NBA all over him going into this and has come out of it with his stock rock bottom!

Reply #374762 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

A problem I see With the lineup going forward is that Brad Newley and Joe Ingles should both be starting, but we can't start Patty Mills at the 1 because he can’t run the offense, so we have to start Delly at the 1 and Mills at the 2. What’s the solution? I have never been a fan of starting a "shooting guard trapped in a point guard’s body", but Patty is too good to bring off the bench in most peoples’ eyes. It throws the whole roster off.

Reply #374763 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Mick, that's pretty much the same problem I was talking about in the game thread. In an ideal world, Mills would be the PG, but because he can't run the offence effectively, Brown has been forced to bring Delly into the starting lineup.

To some extent, we have gotten away with it, because Delly has played so well, but in the long run the Boomers would be a better team if we could play a taller SG like Newley or (hopefully in the near future) Drmic or Exum.

Reply #374764 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Hurls great summary and run down, unfortunately you've probably given more thought and analysis to this than BA will.

As for Patty, for some reason i think he would be best coming off the bench as a high impact player. When Patty was being mooted to go to various teams before signing with San Antonio many teams were expressing an interest but only ever saw Patty being that high impact player off the bench, not just this season but in seasons to come, because of his size at the SG and his lack of PG skills.

Reply #374765 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

They missed Bogut.

Reply #374767 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

When you look at the games, Damian Martin would have been a better fit for that 5 - 10 min a game. The change up in defence would have provided something extra plus he is a little more solid, so works well in the mismatch.

Reply #374773 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The problem with Newley and Ingles is two-fold.

1) I remember Brett Brown saying before Turkey that he couldn't start both of them together because of the defensive liabilities created. Ingles defence has improved out of sight since then though.

2) Newley can't shoot the ball from the perimeter, hence he is extremely one dimensional at the shooting guard position. If he could hit the three ball at 35% consistently I reckon he'd be in the NBA. But until he can do that, his role on this team will be using his athleticism off the bench as an impact back-up at both the 2 and 3 spots.

Patty's move to PG I believe wasn't so much about his inability to run the point. It was more a combination of three things;

1) Patty being more comfortable just focusing on scoring right now
2) Newley's poor shooting
and
3) Delly's impact overall just couldn't be ignored, it seemed like a waste to bring him off the bench

Reply #374774 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

FM, you've made a really valid point.

If Brett Brown had of made the decision to start Delly much earlier than he did, then I think Martin would have got the nod over Crawford.

Once Delly became a starter, our lack of a genuine back-up point guard became a concern, as did switching Patty between shooting guard and the point.

The decision to omit Martin is one that I reckon Brett Brown would have liked to have over again.

Reply #374775 | Report this post

T-Peezy  
Years ago

You didn't rate the coach.... But I wouldn't either cos he's been lame... D-!!!
Takes off guys when they have hit a few baskets straight, didn't pull Patty into line when needed, didn't use his bench effectively and was too scared to mix it up and change his game plan a bit when things weren't going his way.
Future Boomer: Hell no, thank christ!

Reply #374776 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

For those fortunate to watch these olympics via Foxtels coverage, I think we should give John Casey and Andrew Gaze a rating for their exceptional job as commentators.

I think everyone would agree it's great hearing Case' back calling ball, he hasn't missed a beat, which is no easy feat given he hasn't called NBL games for several seasons now.(one thinks he has been practising in front of the TV with the sound on mute). Gaze's commentating has much improved as a 'colour man' (not a racial slur, commentator lingo) from when its was monotone Carfino and Gaze, they were hard games to watch, and his insight and knowledge of international players and team and overall Boomers Bias makes it a pleasant viewing

A for both

Reply #374780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah agree re; gaze and casey. Gaze's amusing comments about David Barlow's hair was a particular highlight.

Reply #374782 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I enjoyed Gaze's comment against the US today that shooting slumps are like soft beds. Easy to get into but hard to get out of.

Reply #374786 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

Love the analysis, but I'd give Brown a C-.

we need to give him credit for the Boomers playing some really great basketball at times.
However, we also need to recognise that he made some dumb decisions, he needs to cop it for the Boomers starting so slowly, and that often he didn't act decisively when it was needed.

Reply #374787 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

I'm surprised that Maric got a D-.

He gets a big fat F from me. He was by far our most disappointing player.

Reply #374788 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Couldnt agree more with all the above comments. the gradings etc. just a shame we started off slow against brazil and spain. based on the stats we were the 3rd best team offensively (points scored)behind US and Argentina. our defence was about the same. if we had beaten either brazil or spain, i reckon huge chance of medalling at these games. we missed that inside finisher. Bogut would have been awesome to have and i agree jawai, Ogilvy anyone could have contributed better the Maric. Does anyone know how Majok has developed, because other then blocking shots he was ugly a couple of years ago in the NBL.

Reply #374792 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

2014 Worlds: Broekhoff > Newley.

Ogilvy - a bit soft?

Jawai - a bit ambivalent when it comes to the Boomers? He seems to be high maintenance, needs a lot of love. Could be a force, no doubt, but does he really want to do it?

I think the nucleus and emerging players is good enough to suggest future 4-9 finishes. Anything less would be pretty bad. If we crack it for a semi one day at a tournament like this, we have done extremely well.

Just win one more pool game and finish 3rd so we crossover with second...that's it.

Reply #374799 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah sitiveni Ater Majok has been playing in Slovakia for SPU Nitra, averaging 11 pts 9 rebounds, and 2 blocks..either he has improved or the league is below NBL. averaged similar numbers in Eurochallenge.

Reply #374801 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

I still don't really understand how Jingles can be as effective as he is. Not a classic explosive jump-shot where the ball is shot at the top of the jump, slow dribbler, not a lot of variety to his dribbling, slow wind-up to his shot ... I don't understand why other guards haven't taken him to pieces?

Don't get me wrong - I'm not knocking Jingles, I'm knocking the opposing defenders.

Reply #374802 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

For me, Jawai has to be included, especially now he is playing in a team that won't take lazy in FC Barcelona. if he continues to develop and work on his D he is a real talented big that should definitely be included. If his twitter is anything to go by, he seems to giving the Boomers plenty of support which is good.

Bigs of Bogut, Jawai, Baynes, Motum should be good.

Reply #374804 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Without knowing much about the young guys who havnt played Boomers/NBL before, going forward couldnt we basically replace PC with Markovic (our next best assist man), Nielsen with Matt Knight, Maric with Bogut, Barlow with the best of our young SF's and have rotations of something like

PG Delly/Markovic
SG Newley/Mills/Gibson (or a young guy Exum?)
SF Ingles/our best young SF (?Drmic, Simmons, Broekhoff)
PF Andersen/Knight/Worthington
C Bogut/Baynes

Start Mills off the bench in a spark plug role like he does in the NBA, but would usually end up playing the majority of the SG mins if his shot is dropping.

Looks fairly well balanced to me and would be better than our current team imo which gives us a good chance to get to the semis if we can avoid the USA.

Reply #374805 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

Ogilvy would have to seriously man up and learn how to finish strongly and rebound, if he wants to get in the squad. talented yes but just too soft and not explosive enough.i would rather Khazzouh over Ogilvy, although he has similar problems.

Reply #374808 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

For a definition of 'soft' and 'not explosive' - see Aleks Maric.

Reply #374809 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

haha yeah good call Vart.

Reply #374812 | Report this post

sircreate  
Years ago

Exum's future will be at the PG position I think so you could start him and Patty together with Delly the first PG off the bench

Simmons could end up being a PF as well, he's 6'7 right now I think and his growth plates(mentioned on a nbadraft.net interview) are still open so he could end up being like 6'9 or 6'10

Exum is listed as a 2014 recruit with Simmons as a 2015 so they might only get a season or two playing college ball before the next Olympics

Reply #374814 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I think the problem is - if you start Mills off the bench it would be such a huge dent to his ego that he wouldn't be effective at all.

Reply #374815 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's early, but I don't think Exum is going to be an international style point guard. With Ingles at SF you could play Mills and Exum together though, let Joe do the playmaking.

Reply #374816 | Report this post

LanceUppercut  
Years ago

sircreate was that the same interview that also mentioned that if Simmons was playing High School Basketball in the US he would be ranked number 1? must be one hell of a talented player. They are currently playing in the Adidas Nations, with many scouts very impressed by Exum, he posted 17pts in a game overnight. Owen Odigie has also been impressive at the tournament according to reports

Reply #374819 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

My Score: D-
Future Boomer:.... should hope not! should be under at least 10 centers on the depth chart by now. best center in europe? i saw nothing to suggest that what so ever.

----------------------------------------------

woah, wait a minute now, where the hell did you hear that he was the best center in Europe?

He was the THIRD BEST center on his team, Panathinaikos. How the hell could he be the best center in Europe?

Are you kidding me? He was Panathinaikos' third string center the last 3 years.

Reply #374820 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Anon^, the best centre in Europe comment was in relation to Maric being named the centre on the All-Euroleague team a couple of seasons ago when he played for Partizan Belgrade. It was his last season there before moving to Panathinaikos.

Reply #374823 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Only thing that saved him from an F was his little spurt against Russia where he atleast showed some potential to do something useful outside of that its F all the way

Reply #374825 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well, I can sure you that he has never been in the discussion of being the best center in Europe and anyone who thinks so is a fool.

Maric can put up big numbers in offense if he has a great pick and roll point guard to play with like how he played with guys like Spanoulis, Diamantidis, Jasikevicius........Mills obviously is horrible at running pick and roll though, so that pretty much eliminates that.

He's a good rebounder too and solid in the low post. But he can't play a lick of defense and he will give up more points than he can score.

Just in the Greek League alone, during the time he played there, you had,

Nikola Pekovic
Ioannis Bourousis
Sofoklis Schortsanitis
Joey Dorsey
Loukas Mavrokefalidis
Kyle Hines
Mike Batiste
Aron Baynes
Ian Vougioukas
Rasho Nesterovich
Jared Homan
Dimos Dikoudis

I'd take all of those centers, just from the last few years in Greek League, over Maric. I might even be forgetting some others.

Reply #374826 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Agree Hurls, he was very handy in that little spurt. Nice job on the whole rundown at the top too mate, very impressive.

Reply #374827 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

I was pretty disappointed in Maric too. I do wonder if he might've been injured, but in the end the results weren't there for him, so his spot is wide open for the next World Champs.

If Jawai is committed and willing to work his way into the team, he is probably the best option out there.

So you could see Bogut, Jawai, Andersen and Baynes in 2014, with perhaps Khazzouh or DJ thrown in there as a fifth big to offer some quickness and scoring.

I think Ogilvy is still one step back for now and could rapidly be overtaken by a Simmons or Motum, depending on their development.

Obviously Exum and Simmons are still very young, but they looked outstanding to me in the footage I have seen of them, so am hoping for a Bogut-like break out from one or both of them. If you're talented enough, there's no reason why you can't make an impact as an Olympian at 19.

Vart, I don't agree about your first point on Newley. I think he and Ingles have both done a good job defensively and have co-existed on the court fairly well. I do agree with the second one - Newley's shooting - and therein lies the Boomers dilemma.

I think it unlikely that Newley will ever develop his shot enough to be the 3pt threat we need at starting SG, but I am hopeful that the ideal SG will emerge from the next gen (ie, Drmic or Exum). If that happens then we are going to be in a good place by the next Olympics.

Reply #374828 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

About Mills, this guy isn't a starting point guard level for any team that wants to win a medal at a world competition.

He's clearly 1-2 steps below the other top international point guards like,

Huertas
Rubio
Spanoulis
Teodosic
Prigioni
Parker

I'd even take Barea over him.

Australia can't win a medal 2 years from now if he is still the starter at point guard.

Reply #374829 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How a bout kevin lisch? If he want's to be naturalized? Pg/delli sg/lisch sf/ingles pf/anderson c/bought (spelling)? Back up pg/martin sg/mills sf/newly pf/knight c/baynes! Andrea or bevo as head coach!

Reply #374833 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Great summary above. It seems most people are in consensus about player performance. As for the coach, not many comments so far. Surely it has to be Brown versus Beveridge for the future head coach.

Re: Boomers finishing 3rd in scoring. That's a bit deceptive since Australia played at the second fastest tempo in the tournament. Their offensive struggles are better reflected by their 43.5% shooting from the field, 8th best in the tournament. The semifinalists all finished top 5 in the tournament in that category, while those teams that didn't make it through to the quarters finished bottom 4 in FG%.

We finished 7th in 3pt% (34%) and 8th in 2pt% (49%). Despite our abysmal free-throw shooting against USA, we actually were 3rd in FT%, but were 11th in getting to the line.

Reply #374834 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Anon above, when Maric was named All-Euroleague, BA promoted that quite a bit but obviously didn't mention it was because he played a simple role perfectly in a structured system, or that Partizan used Vranes to guard the gun centres to protect Maric!!

I thought with Vujosevic coaching at Partizan again this year Aleks may have headed back, but he is understandably still trying to cash in on his successful year.

Reply #374835 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why didn't Redhage get a look in? even at the training camp. he had a better NBL season than Wortho

Reply #374836 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

hey guys just want to throw up another name. Anatoly Bose. now he had a decent first year in the NBL. i must say i thought he would do better, but he is what 6'7, normally shoots well, not bad athletically, seems to have good IQ. can he improve his D and become a boomer?

Will a guy like Lisch become citizen and become a boomer?

Nice to hear Majok is doing well, but yeh is slovakia are terrible league. Maybe he should simplify his game, become a great shot blocker, rebounder and work close to the hoop. he doesnt seem to have the IQ needed.

Reply #374837 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i think the only way for majok to be useful would be to develop as a Varejao or Ibaka type player.

Reply #374840 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

The Boomers core from this games was Mills, Ingles, Andersen, Dellavedova, Newley and Baynes.

All six of these guys should definitely continue on both the World Cup in 2014 and next Olympics in Rio.

The only guy that is a definite inclusion in future teams is Bogut. Every other spot is up for grabs.

Reply #374841 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Re: Bose, I think his concern is being a volume scorer and, as mentioned, his below average D. Based on reports from his college days, he appears to be a hard worker and focused on improving, so he could elevate his game to push for Boomers selection. Another strong scorer would be useful to have, especially if he becomes automatic from deep. Although I still worry about his athletic and defensive limitations.

Reply #374842 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I thought the next Olympics was only going to be an Under-234 tournament, because David Stern and Mark Cuban are trying to take over all the money and profits from FIBA?

Reply #374843 | Report this post

hoopie  
Years ago

give me Beveridge as Boomers coach any day - I love the way he gets the whole Wildcats team involved in offense, and I assume he's a good talent developer as well

has he ever coached a national team?

Reply #374844 | Report this post

Paul  
Years ago

I meant Under-23 tournament.

Reply #374845 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I would expect Lemmanis would be a prospective future Boomers coach

Reply #374848 | Report this post

Vart  
Years ago

Paul^ - the under 23 idea has been raised by the NBA, but nothing has been decided.

I personally can't see it getting a lot of support from FIBA or it's member countries outside the USA, but the NBA wield a lot of power so you never know.

Reply #374850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah i heard that as well Paul, Kobe has stated that he doesn't want that though and doesn't think it would happen(obviously the olympics is prime time to pick up young honeys). it would be a real shame for basketball if it was to happen though as it should be about the best players all meeting and competing for their countries, there already exist plenty of tournaments at FIBA to display up & coming talent

Reply #374852 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I think it would be the USA sending an U23 team, but Im even dubious about that given the players don't support it.

Reply #374866 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No, Stern wants ALL teams to send Under-23 teams to the Olympics, not just the USA.

Reply #374899 | Report this post

rjd  
Years ago

Yes, Stern wants to be the international players white knight who relieves the poor international players who feel the pressure of representing their country for little to no financial compensation. They are so lucky to have someone in charge of the NBA who is so concerned about their welfare.

Apparently Stern is unaware of the many internationals who have -- without his help -- refused to play international games or have retired from international games well before they have retired from professional competitions.

Reply #374903 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I know what Stern wants, but other countries wont have a bar of it.

Reply #374908 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

the under 23 rule can go to hell.. cant believe he has the nerve to go watch the olympic basketball meanwhile try to sabotage it. what a pure wanker

Reply #374914 | Report this post

Alex  
Years ago

Stern is the one who hired all of FIBA World's current committee. Every single person was a former employee of Stern's at the NBA head office.

So, everyone in Europe already knows that Stern has been de facto running FIBA already since 2007.

So if he wants this, he is getting it. Because the only other group that could stop it was FIBA Europe, and after what happened to those European teams that voted against it, like Greece and Macedonia at the OQT.......

well, let's just say no European federations will dare to block it a second time.

Reply #374933 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Yeah Joey! My boy ingles just had his coming out tourney

Reply #374958 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

shining lights: mills, ingles, delly - great campaigns guys

yes, newly a confidence player and needs to knock the 3, however, I was disappointed to not see them use him more off screens, turn outs etc similar to Beijing. He didn't have a purpose to shoot the ball, just throw it up and hope it goes in because he won't see the ball for a while.. Ive always thought he was a good 3 shooter, but not the flat out shooter like people are saying he is now. This makes me confused, his strength is in his drive - utilise that!

would have loved to see some PC in there at some stage when our shooting went dead.. perhaps the Boomers style of play doesn't suit a Maric, nothing for him to clean up after a drive and dish, because our 'point' guards didnt do that like the greek guards can.

Reply #374979 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:46 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754