Hurls
Years ago

Boomers 2014-16

Ok, this is my Favourite topic yet one many of you probably arent ready to think about yet but thats ok. lol I want to know, what is our 2014 and 2016 Boomers teams going to look like? any ideas?

I would assume were going to keep (or try to keep) Mills, Dellavedova, Ingles, Newley, Wortho (not essential tho) Baynes, and Bogut... That leaves 5 spots left... who would they go to or do yopu think theres a bit more room for movement then just 5?

I keep hearing things about Dante Exum and from what I am seeing he does look the goods... Is Lisch Naturalising btw? Ben Simmons? Thon Maker,. Was there literally anyone from the Stankovic cup worth a look? I hear things about Owen Odigie but didnt see much...

anywqays this is My boomers depth chart from what i se, improve on it if you wish

Point Guard
Dellavadova/Aaron Bruce/Patty Mills?/ Adam Gibson/

Shooting Guard: Patty Mills/Brad Newley/Dante Exum/

Small Forward: Joe Ingles/Ryan Broekoff/David Barlow/Ben Simmons?

Power Forward: Nathan Jawai?/ Aaron Baynes/ Who else? Brock Motum?/ Mark Worthington?

Center: Andrew Bogut/Thon Maker?/ Luke Nevill?/

Alot of solid players in that team but I think we look weak npow in the PF with David Anderson aging and Meilsen retiring....

Topic #29021 | Report this topic

Loco  
Years ago

Best medal shot we'll ever have will be around 2032 when Stephanie Rice's kid is old enough to play.

Black Mamba V2.0 at point - can't lose.

If 9 more swimmers put in the hard yards with Durant, LeBron, Mello and the guys, we'll have a viable gold medal shot.

Reply #375035 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

I hope Simmons develops into the mobile PF we only had briefly with Mackinnon in 2006. Players like Diaw, Nocioni, Kleiza, Khryapa etc are spending more time at the PF spot internationally. Wortho does a manful job but it would be nice to have someone at Mackinnon's level or even better when we want to go mobile.

Reply #375047 | Report this post

Avv  
Years ago

Kazzouh maybe a look in if he ends up in Europe this season and gets some solid form behind himself...?

Reply #375050 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Even if he plays in Mexico, he will be a good look if he just gets fitter and stronger and develops a desire to defend.

Reply #375053 | Report this post

El Diablo  
Years ago

2-4 years time? Your list

No Bruce, Gibson, Barlow, Nevill at this stage they have not shown they have what is needed in FIBA play (still good players though

If we want to be very competitive, we need Bogut (duh!) but Delly has to keep developing. Mills and Ingles are probably as good as they are good as they are going to get, Mills will not suddenly turn into a PG, he is a undersized SG and should play that way.

My guess (predicted growth in players game)
1. 'Smalls': Mills, Dellavadova, Newley, Bose, Ingles, Goulding
2. 'Bigs': Bogut, Jawai, Kazzouh/Baynes, Worthington, Ogilvy

Bose seems like a perfect international type player, if he can remember how to shoot again. I think Goulding in 2-4 years could be a very useful player, reasonably athletic, arrogant as hell and wont die wondering, his swag could be useful.

Also Stiendel could be a dark horse, we have no great shooters at the moment, but he needs to improve the rest of his game and get stronger

Exum and Simmons (moreso) probably still to young to be definite (though 4 years is a long time for a 16 year old)

Motum can't, and won't, rebound, he is a slightly younger version Kickett.

Maker probably wont chose Australia and Majok seems a bit of head case, which they don't like in the Aussie TEAM concept where you sacrifice your game for the good of the team.

Reply #375054 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Well who else can Maker choose? we need to jump on him and nOW

Reply #375058 | Report this post

Beantown  
Years ago

Agree with you Paul. Would love to see Simmons become the new improved (taller) version of Sammy Mac. Mackinnon was brilliant for that one tournament before injuries sadly destroyed his career.

With Bogut in there, we will obviously be able to box out guys like Kevin Love much better, but even more important is having athletic bigs like Simmons who can go and secure the long rebounds.

I had previously forgotten about Bose, but he should be in the mix in two years if he continues to develop. He seems like a good mid-range shooter who rebounds well. Needs to work on his range to get a consistent three and improve his lateral movement to get better on D.

I think both Khazzouh AND DJ should be kept in mind as future PF's as they are very good shooters with range, show nice touch around the basket and DJ in particular might pose matchup problems for some PFs with his quickness. Defence and rebounding are the questions for these two.

In terms of guards I like the look of Drmic and Exum. Exum is very young, but looks very athletic and skilled, seems to have a good attitude and his old man should have the knowledge and contacts to keep him developing the right way. Drmic also looked pretty good last year and could be in the mix in two years if he continues to improve.

Need to keep an eye on young PGs too, as we have no depth at that position. Will be interested to see how Cadee and Norton go this season and perhaps Bruce as well if he has another good season.

Reply #375060 | Report this post

rohant16  
Years ago

Drmic, Motum, Exum and Greenwood by 2016 I hope all are regular Boomers.

Reply #375062 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Yeah I forgot about Drmic. He has a lot of talent.

I think it is important we identify the various bigs and really put work into them. If you look at the guys we have between 21-27 we shouldnt struggle up front in a tournament for a long time to come if we get some international games into some of these guys:

Knight, Ogilvy, Baynes, Jawai, Nevill, Motum, Khazzouh, Johnson, Bogut, Maric. Ive prob forgotten someone else.

The good news is six of those guys can shoot the rock pretty well, hopefully a couple will really nail that part of their game. Johnson has massive potential if he fixes his weaknesses.

Reply #375065 | Report this post

Hurls  
Years ago

Once again... Thon maker.. anyone know how Aussie he believes himself to be? it would be a shame to lose a potential talent like that to the US or something

Reply #375066 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

goodbye crawford, andersen?, maric, nielsen,barlow and worthington?. Hello exum,simmons, maker?, jawai, ogilvy,greenwood.

Reply #389857 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can you blame Thon Maker for not wanting to play for Australia with all the bashing that goes on in these forums towards African immigrants in Australia? This would be reflect in the broader community, for example look at what happens when Majak Daw plays AFL? Why would someone want to represent a country that hate him.... He'll get US citizenship one day and represent them if he turns out to be any good as a pro.

Reply #475643 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agreed Anon, the majority of the Australian community needs to grow up and realise we're a mutlicultural country and that some immigrant from Africa is actually going to be better than the kid they grow up playing with!

Reply #475644 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 8:29 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754