Barry
Years ago

Will massingale be a starter?

Whats his role? I guess it depends on where gibbo plays pg or sg. Could it be cj off the bench and cadee starting pg?

What are he plans?

Id go:

Schenscher johnson petrie vasilevic
Johnson petrie vasilevic
Weigh Creek
Gibson massingale weigh
Cadee crosswell gibson

Topic #29232 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the lineup 100% I think cadee needs to be a starter this year.

Reply #378257 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What has Cadee done to deserve to be a starter? Surely it has to be earnt on the court

Reply #378260 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Showed great promise for aussie dvp team all star 5 and very sound behind deleon at blaze.

Reply #378261 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

It should be really interesting to see who gets that 5th starting spot this year. Schenscher, Johnson and Gibson are obviously starting 5 players, likely all season. Weigh is the other obvious starting player, at least initially.
Which way will Marty go with the other spot? Look to the future with either Creek or Cadee? Go with the usual idea that the import should be a starter? Go ridiculously big with Petrie? Go with leadership from Crosswell?
Crosswell and Petrie are the least likely of those 5. They seem like good leaders of the second unit.
When Cadee was recruited, it appeared that he was intended to have the starting spot. Probably mentored by Crosswell with an import as the other starting guard. That was before Gibson became available. Gibson is just as suited to point or shooting guard, so that still opens the door for Cadee to start.
Creek looked really good in the preseason game. Better than Cadee. He earnt his starting spot by the end of last season, so should he be relegated back to the bench?
Massingale has been great at a lower level, but is unproven at NBL level. He does have experience against NBL players and obviously has had success. We usually just hand a starting spot to an unproven Warren/Tyndale straight out of college, so the precedence is there to start Massingale and there's probably more certainty with him than a usual unseen import.
I think at least initially, Massingale will get the spot. Cadee will probably be given time to prove his worth off the bench. Creek will be given opportunity to challenge Weigh for the 3 spot and will likely spend quite a few games throughout the year in the starting 5.

Reply #378267 | Report this post

Barry  
Years ago

Cadee and gibbo know each others games really well, play them as the core guards together which can only benefit the team. Great experienced 2nd unit in cj/crosswell. Ironic our bench has an older avg age quite possibly than the starters, good signs for all.

Reply #378275 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

I would go with:

Schensher
Johnson
Weigh
Massingale
Gibson

Cadee hasn't really done anything to suggest that he deserves a starting spot.

Right now he is a perfect 'off the bench player', and provides a nice second unit with Creek and Petrie.

Reply #378296 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

If your mentioning Cadee as a starter, then its unfair to Creek not to mention his name.

Could go:

Schenscher
Johnson
Weigh
Creek
Gibson

Reply #378297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee will have been promised significant minutes just like weigh was ,expect both to start and stay on the court

Reply #378300 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cadee will have been promised significant minutes just like weigh was ,expect both to start and stay on the court

Reply #378301 | Report this post

forcey  
Years ago

Cadee has to start. Massingale is a combo guard so would be a great 6th/7th man....hopefully.

Starters should be Cadee/Gibson/Weigh/Johnson/Schenscher

Have more up on my blog

http://www.36reasons.net/2012/08/roster-update.html

Reply #378307 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Cadee clearly the third best pg on team, doesnt deserve to start but will.

Reply #378316 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

I'm with Macdub on this one.
I'd start:
Schensher
Johnson
Weigh
Massingale
Gibson

I think Gibson is the best PG on the team right now and I find it hard to see how Marty is going to find enough time for Gibbo, Cadee and Croswell.

Reply #378334 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Am I the only person who thinks Petrie is better than Johnson?

Reply #378335 | Report this post

SamCro  
Years ago

^^ Yes you are Mick. Johnson has a far bigger upside the Petrie.

Reply #378339 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

But Petrie will be better this year.

Can defend and rebound as well as score.

Reply #378344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm with you Mick - can defend and rebound, two things Johnson can't (or won't) do.

Reply #378347 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Absolutely Sam.

But right now I'd still be starting Petrie. He's a phenomenally underrated player in this league.

That said, Petrie isn't going to get any better, Johnson is. But the question is, how much better will he actually get? Is he 50% of the player that he will one day be, or is he already at around 90%? I'm not talking about future potential, I'm talking about future REALISED potential.

My bet is leaning towards the latter, albeit as a non-Sixers fan I don't get to see him nearly as often as most of the people on here.

Either way Clarke is going to have a real (and exciting) challenge this season finding minutes and shots for all of his guys. I think playing Peach off the bench in this league is selling him short. If the Sixers are better off with him as a sixth man, by all means, but I think you will find that the margins will be better with him on the floor more than DJ. We'll soon see anyway.

Reply #378348 | Report this post

Greeny  
Years ago

I can see Petrie starting on the bench. Having DJ and Schensher struggle defensively and then Petrie ending up having to play 30 minutes.

Reply #378352 | Report this post

Hendo8888  
Years ago

There's 80 minutes at the big spots. I'd use Pero for maybe 5, 10 max. So you'd probably use Petrie, Johnson and Schenscher for close to a 25, 25, 25 split. Depending on match-ups and form on the night as to who gets more/less.
Johnson and Schenscher are the obvious starters though for me. Petrie is a legitimate starter at NBL level, but when you have 3 of them for 2 spots, someone always misses out.
Just like where you could easily argue that Cadee, Creek, Weigh, Gibson and Massingale all could start. Only 3 can, so 2 miss out.

Reply #378366 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

It's definitely a good problem to have.

Adelaide have the best frontline in the league if they can split the minutes right.

Reply #378378 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

Weigh doesn't look inside very much . Was worst in the league for team +/- . Led the league in minutes
While even Boti Nagy said weigh was played too much
Would be pretty good if we get the minutes right
If weigh plays 35mins every game , I just get bored.

Reply #378407 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Makes sense that the leading minute getter for the worst team in the league would have the league's worst +/-...

Reply #378451 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Still, I think he should be getting about 20 mins a game with this roster.

Reply #378452 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

If the probability exists that the player getting the most minutes in the bottom team will be the worst for the teams +/- , maybe roll them over and play who is playing better that game. I confess Clarke's subs are an enigma to me.
This team looks better on paper and will be interesting to watch , unless there are those promised minutes that are not playen well , I'll just get bored.

Reply #378498 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting to see the Bandits Vs Raiders highlights frmom Albury.
Have a look at CJ Vs Jazz. See if anyone thinks CJ is NBL material.

Reply #378646 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sorry link here.
http://au.prime7.yahoo.com/v1/news/a/-/national/14743656/breathtaking-bandits-fire-up-video/

Reply #378647 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I expect Clarke to make Petrie ride the pine way more than he should this season.

Reply #378698 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:38 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754