Anonymous
Years ago

Changes in Woodville Warriors coaching staff.

I'm hearing roomers that Karen Winter has been relieved of most of her involvement with the girls/ABL coaching,& that a certain much loved Bearcats coach Corey McLean has joined the under 18s with a lot of players coming over with him.I don't like the first news i have written,but the second is a masterstroke if true.Now are these just whispers in the dark or facts?

Topic #29294 | Report this topic

MS  
Years ago

your information on the second part is way off the mark.

Reply #379011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is she has quit the club.

Reply #379014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Second part just isn't true!

Reply #379015 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

So where is Corey?

Reply #379016 | Report this post

Cat in the Hat  
Years ago

The best part of the first post is the word 'roomers'.

Reply #379018 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karen has quit coaching/secretary of the club

Reply #379024 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Putting a novice coach in an U23 division one side might be change but is hardly for the better.

Reply #379072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think you'll find Corey is pretty content trying to get his Team 10 basketball business off the ground and he won't be coaching juniors.

Reply #379089 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

If I was woodville the very first priority would be getting Tracy York as ABL coach.

Move hell or high water to get her. She will bring quality players to the program plus be able to supervise the juniors and retain the current good players.

Reply #379092 | Report this post

The Brad  
Years ago

At a cost of $10k Wam??? Bit rich if you ask me.

Reply #379094 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Some "roomers" at eagles Karen will be assisting another former warrior coach in juniors next season.
That makes Bell, Holland and Winter all formerly from the almost defunct woodville girls program coaching at forestville.

Reply #379102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

10k is nothing, they were offering that money to a former ABA coach

Reply #379104 | Report this post

get real  
Years ago

Bell didnt coach at Woodville.

Reply #379110 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bell may not have officially coached at woodville but was definetely involved with the junior girl program when her daughter played for the green and gold.

Reply #379114 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Was there ever any doubt that Winter would follow Holland to the Eagles? It was always going to happen sooner or later.

Reply #379115 | Report this post

Years ago

played abl

Reply #379122 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

With the money people on the mens cabl team have been offering that would have been a carrot for Corey.
Maybe he used his head nd wondered where the captain of the mens team was going to get the $$$ he was offering.

It is almost time for us to say goodbye to the warriors...
Shame for a once powerful club

Reply #379149 | Report this post

red62  
Years ago

I've been around district basketball a long time but apart from on Hoops I'd never even heard of this Corey person. Then someone told me he's the guy that always sucks on a Chupa Chup while he's coaching. If that's the guy, then all I will say is what a fuss over nothing.

Reply #379153 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dark days indeed brought about by an insipid and apathetic attitude to the girls side of the club who have always been an after thought.

With the men firmly in control and with those directing the sinking vessel having no idea how to recruit and deliver a workable program for junior girls, it may well be 'adios' and thanks for coming.

The ambitions of a few have driven the course of the club in the last 5 or six years with Holland constantly battling opposition for a strengthened junior outfit. From a club on the path to success several years ago to chaos that cannot and will not be corrected by changing a senior coach.

Every club in the league knows you have to build it from junior level or become a district club in name only with an inconsistent junior program and recruited in aba players propping up the name.

With too many junior girls leaving in large numbers over recent times and with the appointment of an untried and out of her depth coach to replace Holland, the club began to take on water.

The latest round of appointments to coach at Woodville will do little to keep the dwindling numbers and absolutely nothing to encourage a revival so unless there needs to be a prayer meeting soon.

Reply #379156 | Report this post

Wam Soosnam  
Years ago

The troubles are so bad, I think that amount would be a good investment.
At present they are likely to disappear in the next 18 months.
They need stability now.

Reply #379174 | Report this post

Years ago

How would spending that money on a senior womens coach help them stay afloat?

Reply #379194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wam its the crap like that which makes Woodville's struggles more difficult.

The club isn't going anywhere. Their Under 10 boys and girls both made Finals. Their boys side in th younger groups is quite strong, something that hasn't gone unnoticed by a certain other club.

Saying they wont be around in 18 months further encourages people to look elsewhere when they will of course be around.

There are many clubs struggling for numbers in particular girls.

This can't just be a club issue, its a basketball issue.

One which can only be solved as a sport, bagging clubs who are working their butts off to put teams on the court isn't helping anyone.

Reply #379196 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Warriors & Magic must unite there is no other option,the guys in green & gold have great leadership now that Holland & Winter are gone bring in someone like Viki Valk who knows the ropes and get her to be the savior of the girls side of things.Pride aside and lets make a powerful club at St Clair!by the way remember David Gould & his brother Graham,how did we let them get away(problems with Winter maybe)?Beg/steal but we must do anything to revive our beloved Warriors.

Reply #379197 | Report this post

Years ago

What results has Valk got wit juniors. And its not like she is doing well with West seniors.

Again all you are looking at is seniors results, which put clubs into this situation in the first place.

Reply #379203 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

One would argue that been one of the most successful ABL womens coaches ever, playing for australia and teh lightning and winning might hold her in good stead :)

Reply #379207 | Report this post

Years ago

Agree that if you were looking for an ABA coach or WNBL coach that she would be on the list of people to speak too.

Doesnt mean she would be able to do the job of recruitment nor development.

To succeed in those positions often takes resoures that do not correspond to junios, but rather take from them.

Reply #379215 | Report this post

openeyes  
Years ago

red62
Yesterday
18:20 10 Sep 12

Reply #379153

re: Changes in Woodville Warriors coaching staff.

I've been around district basketball a long time but apart from on Hoops I'd never even heard of this Corey person. Then someone told me he's the guy that always sucks on a Chupa Chup while he's coaching. If that's the guy, then all I will say is what a fuss over nothing.
;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;; Well you must go around with your head in the sand, I rember him coaching at west boys back in 2000 and have seen him around a fair bit,Last year he took NORTHS u23s to the grand final and was the with the North ABA mens side until this season,.. If he is the fix no one knows but he dose get the best out of players and has alot of respect with a large group of players both girls and boys, NORTH should have never let him go

Reply #379216 | Report this post

No V  
Years ago

The woman's coordinator and under 23 Coach is Benn McDonald who is holding trials later this month.

Reply #379222 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

"bagging clubs who are working their butts off to put teams on the court isn't helping anyone."

Are you the one Woodville person who doesn't bag Western Magic at every chance?

Reply #379228 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

228, I have nothing to do with either Woodville or Magic

Reply #379235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red62 don't know the guy but you can bag him and take time out of your day to make your first ever post on hoops about a coach you'd never heard of?

I'm sure Corey knows nothing about you too matey.

Reply #379241 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has Mr McDonald ever coached?

Reply #379245 | Report this post

No V  
Years ago

Yes Benn has been coaching at Woodville for a few years (4)

Reply #379253 | Report this post

Well i'm new to here.
Iv been around a bit.
So if Cory gets the job good for him and the club.
I know he will put in more than 100%
If this is the case Cory good luck,well done your the right guy for the job
PS. Remember train hard play hard
Like Cory would say.

YESSIRR!!

Reply #379256 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

After a two year experinment with an inexperienced coach it would have been a better move by woodville, who are sprouting a new beginning, to have put an experienced coach in charge of their 23 girls. They have put a lot of faith in McDonald to run their senior trials and selections, suggesting they had no one else interested or they don't give a shite about the girls. Wests should do very well again out of this continuing mess.

Reply #379270 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

I think you will find the previous U23 Girls coach @ the Warriors was extremely experienced so your off the mark with that.

Reply #379276 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Karen winter coached the 23's, hardly experienced and nigel quit half way through again!

Reply #379278 | Report this post

MJ @ Super  
Years ago

Nigel was the coach and has coached for a long,long time I reckon.
He quit after Karen was shown the door

Reply #379287 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Nigel coached 6, U23 games and assisted in 11 abl games, Winter coached senior women, and took over 23's as well as did 18's. Nigel did not see out the 23 season or the abl season as predicted by many.

Reply #379295 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Woodville were smart they'd find some $$$ to pay Corey to be JDO and build the club back up from ground up. He is amazing with younger kids so that is what is needed in the local schools in the west to get more kids to Woodville using Corey as the new face of Woodville.

Reply #379297 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Red62 - Totally agree with you.

Reply #379298 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Corey is not the messiah ! He is just a very naughty boy

Reply #379299 | Report this post

REPLY # 379297

I agree Cory would do great things for the club.

' Like Cory would say '

YESSIRR!!

Reply #379302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Cory I hope your paying these promoters/agents or yourself perhaps?

Reply #379303 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

Helping Obama getting re-elected or Woodville's new messiah..?

Think the Obama gig may be the easier of the two Corey..

Reply #379306 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Appointing Corey as JDO would attract a massive number of players because of his training methods/work ethic & character,he is truly the whole package.His love of the sport would do wonders to start talks with Magics girls because he has no grudges and would do anything for basketball.It would be great to see Will Janette working with him,now that would be a team.Please lets think about the future of our club & leave no stone unturned to find a solution to the girls program!

Reply #379308 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

think you should speak to southern people before making assesments about willie!

Reply #379325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It's not changes at woodville, it's a Torrens Valley coup. The ex-presidento of the Torren's Valley outfit is now the new secretary and all the pieces are coming together nicely it would seem. If things go to plan the warriors will change their name to cougars, the warriors who are left at st clair will become magicians and the destruction of the club complete when the new president finally achieves his dreams.

Reply #379344 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When i told people about the cougar conspiracy people laughed at me,now look who was right.

Reply #379407 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coaches and committee at woodville are working very hard to get it right,the only problem is that they need to take note on how the succesful clubs do it eg: training, recruiting etc... Learn from them.
Changes definately need to made Warriors and its time to make them? If it takes a Torrens Valley person or persons to make a positive difference than great stuff!
You must be coachable and realise if you keep doing what your doing, you keep getting what your getting???
Goood luck Warriors!

Reply #379504 | Report this post

Working hard.... Didn't know back stabbing was hard!

Reply #379534 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now all this worries me ,who knew there was trouble in Warrior land?All you disgruntled Warriors come over to Magic & lets hit the courts together.

Reply #379546 | Report this post

Mn  
Years ago

7 years too late

Reply #380452 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If the rumour are true,appointing a coach who was removed under a cloud from another club is shooting oneself in the foot and they are fast running out of feet by this lead to extinction management

Reply #380540 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which coach are you referring too?

Reply #380543 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Which coach are you referring too?

Reply #380544 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christian Bell was announced the new warriors womens coach the other day by the club

Reply #380570 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

who is christian bell ?

Reply #380572 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Christian Bell? You cannot be serious. What are his coaching credentials?

Reply #380574 | Report this post

.com  
Years ago

disregard my previous question - i recall who he is now

Reply #380577 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also heard Corey has become a Warrior and will be Al Green's assistant with the men.

Reply #380632 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Also heard Corey has become a Warrior and will be Al Green's assistant with the men.

Reply #380633 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Now Corey please go to Magic & unite these two clubs,mate you have no hidden agendas all you care about is this beautiful game,plus half of West will come over when they hear you are a green n gold Warrior now.The girls coaching director must be given to you,all the best in your future work at Woodville.

Reply #380725 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I meant the position of girls coaching director,nothing erotic-sorry.

Reply #380726 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have also heard that some Warriors men want out from the program now

Reply #380731 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

there are no girls left at woodville

Reply #380734 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:10 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754