14 Boys Sturt
16 Boys STurt
16 Girls North
18 Boys Sturt
18 Girls Sturt

Reply #379565 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

everyone not playing grand finals and going tonight, barrack for the team that sturt are playing!!

Reply #379570 | Report this post

Blue Devil  
Years ago

But you might not be able to speak for days.

Reply #379574 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

You could be mistaken. The games will be closer than you think and very few real clear winners IMO.

U12G: West-Forestville. 1st 2 games Forestville blew them out of the water, but West have come back hard last two games. Should go within single figures.
U14G: Centrals-Forestville. The results for Forestville have gone +31, +13, -5 and that's a constant 18 ppg improvement each time to Centrals. It's on neutral ground so could go either way. Within single figures.
U16G: North-Forestville. North have gone +21, +9, +18 and should get this one
U18G: Tigers-Sturt. Another close one. Tigers have gone -2, +7,+9 so have the 2:1 split with +14. It is as Pasadena though, so the reffing usually gives Sturt +10 and fouls? "what foul?" Within single figures.

U12B. Forestville have gone 3 from 3, will end up 4 from 4.
14B. Centrals are 2:1 and are up +23. Why would Sturt win? Oh, that's right, it's being played at Pasadena. Sorry Centrals, it's OK for us to grab and push tonight. Could go either way, but needs good umpiring to make sure it does.
16B. Both teams are 1 win each, but Sturt are +10 on the split. Should be within single figures....hang on, it's a Pasadena. Could go either way, but needs good umpiring to make sure it does. If a player is grabbed from behind on a fast break it should be an unsportsmanlike foul.
18B. Sturt-Tigers. Results went 2 & 1 with Sturt going -9, +5, +16, +12 split with Sturt and they are improving so should get this without the help of the refs tonight.

Reply #379575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Interesting comment about the Ref's for the Sturt boys U18 hopefully the reffs allow the tigers to maul Sturt to level the playing field as last time it was touch a sturt call a foul what a tiger whats a whistle apparently. Should be a cracker

Reply #379578 | Report this post

Blue Devil  
Years ago

Jack, you do know that Ref's are currently centrally rostered and they the same ref's dont ref at the same stadium each week font you??? Hence there is no such thing as home ref's right! Only the ignorant would think otherwise!

And #379578 or should I say some Southern parent. Getting mutiple unsportsmanlike fouls does not mean the refereeing was inconsistant.

Reply #379579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I agree with the sturt being allowed to grab and maul yet littlest things being called on other teams.

Guess its a luxury to know you'll get the home calls come grand final. makes a massive difference.

Pity theyre not played at neutral courts. wait that would be too fair.

Reply #379581 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

refs tonight Luke Smith - no club affliation unless you count his partner ex ABA coach of woodville, now at forestville.
and Mark Frost - ex southern junior

Mark & Luke both did ABA finals, have been away to nationals. Mark is on the NRDP but if you think they are home court referee's you just go ahead and think that. Cause you are obviously better at judging a game than they are. Don't let the splinters in your arm chair bite you.

Reply #379584 | Report this post

Blue Devil  
Years ago

Again, centrally rostered ref's that are not from Pasadena.

Centrally rostered finals by BSA

Reply #379585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

is wayville or the dome not a centrally located stadium?

Reply #379587 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

Div 1 games should be at DOME.

Yeh, right

No Canteen, no Bar

Or was that Pt Adelaide last two weeks?

No Bar at Pt Adelaide for two weeks.

Reply #379589 | Report this post

Blue Devil  
Years ago

Wayville is not available due to the show, and the Dome would cost over $500 for the night, Pasadena would cost $0.

Reply #379590 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Blue Devil, don't confuse cash flow with cost.

Cash flow wise, yes, BSA don't have any cash flowing from their accounts tonight. The cash flowed out at the end of the month when they pay their rent on the stadium.

Cost wise, if they don't do it already, BSA need to "charge" their district competitions cost centre a fee for tonight to ensure that the true cost of the competition is reflected. It would be very foolish accounting not to do that.

Reply #379594 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Centrally rostered reffS? aha yeah I say Mark frost out at straplex last week NOT, bs reffs and umps are often rostered to stadiums, being BIASED doesnt mean you play for a club so you ref in favour of them, your Sturt player/ref Jessica might do it that way but some ref's just hold grudges and ref according to the colour of the kit.
It's fact that most umpires have preconcieved ideas of clubs/teams/coaches and or "their" playing styles and ref teams accordingly, Sturt are known as defensively agressive same old full court man press and so get away with mauling other teams because thats just they way it is..

Reply #379595 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

if we want a fair competition you either need to

1) have finals at neutral stadiums
2) allow the higher teams home court
3) or have finals at a different stadium each year (announced at start of the season).

money shouldn't be a reason for unfairness.

Reply #379596 | Report this post

Hopscotch  
Years ago

That Makes no sense Jack.

At the end of he day BSA would spend that $500 that they otherwise woud not need to spend.

How they account for it is inconsequential. They would be $500 worse off.

Reply #379598 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

from one sa country to another sa country go u14 girls div 1 centrals.

everyone and every club bar the one you are playing are going for you.

Reply #379599 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'm a bit with Jack - Forget what we are told but normally playing at Pasadena is a huge bonus for Sturt. I hope the best refs are appointed from every other stadium and then this advantage may not be as great

Reply #379600 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hopscotch, It's actually common accounting practice.

BSA have secured stadiums at a long term lease rate of $X/month. In order to recover that cost they hire the stadium to clients. In the case of a district club, it's a pretty clear landlord/tenant arrangement. The stadium gets used for Z hours per week and the rental is $Y/hr. As BSA have secured a good rate for the long term use of the stadium, it is in their best interest to ensure that they are making a bit of money on the deal and so if the going rate is $35/hr for stadium hire and they can get it for an affective $25/hr, then they should be sub-leasing it out at say $30/hr to provide some benefit to the long term tenant as well as making some money for the association. Only a fool would secure something for $X and aim to get $x back for it, not $X+ a bit.

Now, the crunch part comes when they are the tenants AND the landlord. This occurs during district competition, state champs etc. When budgeting the competition in order to determine the nomination fees, BSA need to allocate a set rate for their stadiums to reflect the true cost of holding the district competition. If they assume zero contribution from the stadium, or a significantly lower hire rate, then they are kidding themselves, the true cost of the competition is not reflected.

I'll take a non-basketball example to show you. I'll pick on Isaac because I know he has a fancy red car. Let's say Isaac's business is paying $1,000/month in rent for their premises. That's an overhead cost of doing business. Based on the number of widgets he sells, the cost of that rent is reflected in the sales price of that widget. Let's say that he then buys the premises. Just because he now owns the place, doesn't mean he don't pay no rent. It's tempting to now pay zero rent, the actual costs of production go down and he can potentially drop his price to his customers, but if he does that he is not getting any return on his asset and not accurately reflecting his true cost of business. By maintaining that rent charge, the $1,000/month rent effectively goes from one of his pockets to another, so it becomes a savings exercise for him. Those savings then accumulate and he is ahead in the long term. After all, if his business wasn't there, then he could get someone else paying the same money as he is.

The same deal applies to BSA stadiums. Securing a long term lease to reduce the costs of incoming hire is good business sense. By not obtaining the best return from that arrangement is poor practice. BSA and/or the basketball community need to get rid of the attitude that the stadium is free. The stadium is not free, the costs associated with the running of the competition have been reduced.

BSA need to charge themselves the proper court hire rate to reflect the true cost of the competition. The extra revenue then accumulates and can go into growing the sport.

(Apologies to Isaac for using him as an example, but hopefully people can realise what should happen)

Reply #379602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Sturt boys club will be in fine form conning these highly trained referees into allowing them to play their style of basketball.

Expect lots of bumping, hacking, hand checking, illegal screens ... and lots of abuse when it's actually called on the perfect blue boys.

Reply #379603 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Jack let it go already.

Fact is play the game at Pasadena, all money stays in BSA.

Play the game at the Dome and $500 goes to a Bank or whatever is running that venue at the moment.

Reply #379605 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I don't really care where it is played, I am not arguing fairness. All I am arguing is the fact that people who thing the stadium is "Free" tonight are fools. The stadium is not free.

Reply #379609 | Report this post

Hopscotch  
Years ago

Regardless of where the game is played tonight.

1/ BSA will be paying the exact same amount for the lease to Pasadena.

2/ If they were to use the court at the Adelaide Arena, it would cost them a further $500 for the night. Above and beyond what they are paying already to lease Pasadena.

Yes it is not "free", but it would be an extra cost to BSA that they dont need.

Reply #379610 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Jack for CEO

Reply #379611 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

So much butthurt. Butthurt everywhere. Ha! So funny and sad at the same time.

Reply #379612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes and SOuthern will behave they usually do with feral behaviour and abuse at the referees. See if you can out do the 4 techs last game.

Reply #379614 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

How did games go?

Reply #379624 | Report this post

Hopscotch 40  
Years ago

U14B Centrals by4pts
u!4G Eagles by 8ish
U16B Norwood by 9
U16G North by about6

Reply #379626 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

12s and 18s?

Reply #379628 | Report this post

Hopscotch 40  
Years ago

18s boys level, girls Sturt by 5 in 3rd

Reply #379630 | Report this post

Frank the tank  
Years ago

Eagles Under 12 Div 1 Girls won by 18 points tonight against West

Reply #379631 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

U18 Boys Sturt 68 - Southern 64

Reply #379634 | Report this post

just a spectator  
Years ago

Division 2 under 12 boys, Southern vs Sturt went into Double OT. Southern scraped home a tight win.
One certain ref did a superb job!

Reply #379635 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

u12G eagles beat west
u12B Fville beat sturt
u14G fville beat centrals
u14B centrals beat sturt
u16G north beat fville
u16B norwood beat sturt
u18G ???
u18B sturt beat southern

Reply #379636 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

DOUBLE OT AT U12 LEVEL!! LOVE IT!!!! WELL DONE SOUTHERN!

Reply #379637 | Report this post

just a spectator  
Years ago

that was probably the best under 12 game I've ever watched.....
The standard (for a div 2 game) was incredible!!

But of course, the Southern parents were a very rowdy mob, Sturt parents were very well behaved. Same with the coaches, well done to all!!!!

Reply #379639 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

I have not been to watch a game of basketball for about 2 years. Went and watched the U18 Boys GF game tonight.

Hell of a game.

Some great moments from both sides played hard and tough by both teams. Both teams deserved the win. Sturt got out by 6 on the back of some triples and then back to back triples for Southern to tie it up. Some nice blocks and one massive in traffic dunk (some of these guys are so athletic). Both teams shot the three ball really well. Crowd was passionate (without sillyness) on both sides and rode every bucket. Back and forth all game but a big NBA length three pointer to seal the game for Sturt.

I'll even hand it to the refs. Crowd, coaches and players from both sides wanted calls but I thought they were quite neutral. They let both teams play without getting out of hand. Only one inconsistent call IMO. The tech for descent on Southern. Not saying it was the wrong call but definitely inconsistent as there was a case the for the same call of descent later in the game on Sturt side.

All in all a very entertaining game of basketball with great plays from some very talented players on both sides. Very glad I decided to go watch.

Reply #379641 | Report this post

Years ago

dissent

Reply #379644 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

hahah, cheers thought I got that wrong but at this time of night I couldn't care

Reply #379645 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

Morphett vale results

U12,14,16,18 Girls all Forestville
U 12 boys Southern
U14 Boys Forestville
u16 Boys Sturt 1
U u 18 Boys Sturt

Big night for Forestville away from home

Reply #379647 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern are no longer known as the tigers, more like Southern chokers!

Reply #379672 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

a classy Sturt troll..

Reply #379678 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morphett Vale had a good set up with the spectator seating and presentation area. Was let down by a light being out on court 3 which made one corner a bit dark. But good to see effort put in to ensure all spectators had adaquet seating and views.

Reply #379679 | Report this post

Years ago

trial run for a week or two's time

Reply #379688 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

What venue at MV had good seating last night?

Games played on courts 3 and 4 , everyone jammed into these courts, no seating, 6 lights out

Come on, it was bloody terrible

Reply #379689 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Morphett vale on friday night

- U12s couldn't go to the foul line, cause MV doesn't have an u12 foul line. Umps penalized a shooter for going over the imaginary line.

- 3 lights on court 3 were out. The 2 main ones, and one in the corner. Start at the dark end so you can see in the second half.

- how about spending the tens of dollars on hiring a portable PA system so we could hear the presentations

Reply #379693 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

annon 672

Reply #379705 | Report this post

Annon  
Years ago

So the picture is like this for U12-18

Div 1
Forestville 3 winners U12 B-G, U14 G
Sturt. 2 winners U18 B-G
Centrals 1 winner U 14B
North 1 Winner U16G
Norwood 1 Winner U16 B

Div 2
Forestville 5 winners U14B , U12-14-16-18G
Sturt 2 winners U16-18B
Southern 1 winner U12 B

Total
Forestville 8 premierships
Sturt 4 premierships
Southern 1 premiership
Norwoord 1 premiership
Centrals 1 premiership
North 1 premiership

Reply #379708 | Report this post

?  
Years ago

leaner years ahead for sturt as forestville continue to rise and be the only premier club in sa ?

Reply #379709 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No problem. Sturt's development program has already kicked in.

Paoching from other clubs to fill the gaps to make them the best again.

BSA sit back and let it happen and wonder how it got to this ...

Reply #379710 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

710, Oh dear, who has been told "your son/daughter has a better chance of making state with Sturt" this time?

Reply #379711 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Southern coach no where to be found now writing on facebook earlier this season they would go undefeated, they were a good team don't get me wrong but not enough to finish the season with that record, great final though!

Reply #379713 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

? How about you add the Under 10 Boys and Girls Div 1 winners as well. Yeah lean years ahead..

Reply #379716 | Report this post

Bunnings  
Years ago

Ahh Jack, the hypercrit speaks.

Name 1 club who is not getting kids from other clubs???

Jack, seems your Centrals boys program is doing just as good a job of poaching, probably using the "possibly best coaching line up in SA" speil again, or the "we will get you a college scholarship line".

Haters gotta hate. And hypercrits gotta comment.

Reply #379722 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Looks like I have touched a raw nerve eh "Bunnings"

I see this is your "first post" on Hoops so you may not understand sarcasm when you it.

I am sure all clubs try to attract the best kids to their club. The rate of recruiting (poaching) from other clubs is actually quite if you care to look at the statistics, but kids do swap clubs for a number of reasons. Massaging the egos of parents who have underachieved in their sporting career and promising that their Little Johnny/Jenny will do better at another club and make state teams because the state coaches are there is an old chestnut. I have heard it all before with come kids changing clubs because a state coach for a particular team was at Norwood, or Sturt, or Forestville, or Centrals. Did their Little Johnny/Jenny make the state team? Don't know, but if they were any good they were going to make it regardless of where they were.

Have you got the runs on because you're one of those who makes those promises?

Reply #379724 | Report this post

Bunnings  
Years ago

Would love to see those numbers Jack.

I would assume you are making them up on anecdotal evidence. Based on a myth.

Reply #379726 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Player movement between clubs is pretty low. Using Under 16 Div 1 Boys Winter 2012 season as an example. Based on where those players played Under 14 Div 1 boys two years before, I can only see 3 boys who swapped clubs, some are playing different divisions and some are not playing at all. Out of say 100 players, only 3% have played at two clubs, hardly massive numbers.

What % of kids do you think change clubs?

Reply #379727 | Report this post

Bunnings  
Years ago

Jack, your the one tellig stories about a club poaching. You tell me? And your the one telling stories about a club promising State positions. Have you got any evidence? Or are you just re-telling blatant lies to try and cut down a tall poppy? You do know that if a SASI player moves to the club of a State coach my understanding is a $750 fine, have you got evidence of that happening???

Reply #379729 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

I'm not telling any stories about clubs poaching. If you read my post above, I have stated that inter-club transfers is very low. I doubt if any of those 3% were poached.

Judging by your over-reaction and you banging on about SASI coaches, it clear "poaching" is a raw nerve for you. Why is this such a raw nerve for you?

Reply #379731 | Report this post

Bunnings  
Years ago

710, Oh dear, who has been told "your son/daughter has a better chance of making state with Sturt" this time?

Isn't that what you said? Or was that someone else writing under the name Jack Toft? Wouldnt that be poaching?

Reply #379732 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Oh dear, like I said above, "I see this is your "first post" on Hoops so you may not understand sarcasm when you it."

Unfortunately, you have proven my point that sarcasm is only understood by intelligent people. How are those knuckles from dragging along the ground?

Reply #379733 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No one could poach if there were zones

Reply #379734 | Report this post

Bunnings  
Years ago

Really, doesn't sarcasm include voice inflection? Not sure when you tried to prove a point about someone else's intelligenace through that sledge?

Does that mean that if I were to say that I heard Jack Toft was sleeping with his own Mother that it would be sarcasm, that I would really be calling you a "motherFu$%#r"? Cause I would think that that would be inappropriate as it is a lie.

Oh and calling people names while hiding befhind a keyboard is a bit childish really.

Reply #379735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You are right no one could poach if they zoned. Kids would just quit and play another sport.

Reply #379737 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Add GFs for Sturt in YL1 men & women & both YL2 mens teams (against each other) and yeah I'd hardly say the sky is falling.

Reply #379739 | Report this post

Hopscotch 40  
Years ago

Jack Toft whoever you are, keep posting, keep up the sarcasm, keep the whingers/whiners honest and keep the responsible public entertained and informed.

Reply #379740 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Bunnings is just another SASI coach from Sturt

Reply #379741 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on boys now now, I doubt the likes of Southern, South, North, West etc actively try and recruit players from other clubs, I'd say player movement in the league is less than 8% and of that 5% Sturt would through poaching actively contribute 2% and Forestville maybe 1% the other 3% would be players moving after being shafted by Sturt ahaha

Reply #379742 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Hopscoth 40, I will.

Reply #379743 | Report this post

Hydra  
Years ago

Bunnings, you have absolutely no credibility. A comment is made about Sturt poaching, Jack jokes about it. You fly off the handle and play the man (Jack). All you have done is confirmed you have participating in poaching.

Reply #379753 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

LOL, wow.

I can just see it now. The mighty Jack Toft saving baskeball by battling as a keybopard warrior. With all the work he is doing there will be no more poaching, all clubs growing stronger and we can all sit around the camp fire and sing Kum-by-yah.

You guys need to get a life. Or actually get out and do something for your club.

Reply #379764 | Report this post

Hopscotch 40  
Years ago

LOL, wow.

I can just see it now, the mighty LOL riding into internet forums all over the country with their "keybopard" six shooter gunning down posters.Because you dont need to get a life LOL you have the life, wow.

But whats this Jack Toft has started another post and another and has commented on another! Surely LOL this cant be!

LOL your "keybopard" six shooter fires blanks.

LOL, Wow.

Reply #379768 | Report this post

MS  
Years ago

So its fine for you to post on this thread LOL, and you have a life, and others who post on here don't?
Its also fine to make the assumption that all and sundry just post on here and have no involvement in our Clubs?..WOW

Reply #379770 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we will all continue to poach until they actually make it harder for us to do so but the chances of them creating rules to prevent it is as unlikely as tippet catching a ball and kicking straight.

Reply #379771 | Report this post

LOL  
Years ago

Thing is that it looks like some of you people think that writing here is actually going to achieve something.

Kind of depressing.

Reply #379772 | Report this post

KD_35  
Years ago

Great Simile Anon! Brilliant! Love it!

Reply #379773 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This site has no real affiliation to basketball SA other than it being a place for people to crap on about it. The clubs and people who could but do nothing care not for our opinions or for the kids that play the game as long as their ego's and or pockets are feed that's all that counts.
I just enjoy the lulz this site has to offer, other non District basketball news holds weight but most of what gets posted if fantribe and tit for tat it's gold

Reply #379774 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

im still trying to work out who centrals poached?

Reply #379787 | Report this post

Flame  
Years ago

2 current boys in the U14 teams from Norwood. 2 more boys and a coach from Norwood for next season. one who will go into the U14 team.

Reply #379791 | Report this post

Whistleblower  
Years ago

Here is a few stats to consider after the GF.

Boys Premiers(a mixed lot)
Sturt 10.1,14.4,16.2,18.1,18.2,18.4
North 16.3,16.5
Tigers 10.2,12.2,12.3,16.4
F/Ville 12.1,14.2,14.3,14.6
Cent 12.4,14.1,14.5
Norw 16.1
West 18.3
Magic 16.6

Girls Premiers(F/Ville way out in front)
Sturt 10.1,18.1
North 16.1
F/Ville 12.1,12.2,12.3,14.1,14.2,14.3,16.2,16.3,18.2
Norw 10.2

Reply #379907 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You forgot one. 10 Boys 3 was Norwood.

Reply #379912 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flames, 2xDiv 1 Norwood boys coaches are moving to the Lions actually.

Reply #379913 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

...which is still less than the number of coaches moving from the Lions to the Flames.

As far as I know all of the coaches moving between the clubs are only doing so because they live closer to their new club. It's not a big deal.

Reply #379915 | Report this post

Years ago

it's a free world and if they wan't to move it is up to them. no ifs or buts.

Reply #379931 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:54 am, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754