Quasi
Years ago

Empty stands at the Arena

I was at the 36ers vs Wollongong match today, looking at the empty stands at the ends of the top of the south stand. Tickets were sold through online sites for $10 which was the only reason why the middle was quite full.

I highly doubt that the current team will have sell outs this season. Surely the 36ers could allocate one of the ends of the stand to junior district clubs? It would help to create a better atmosphere for the team, show goodwill to the junior district comp and encourage new people to start attending matches (if the product improves!)

Netball SA used to do this for Thunderbirds and Ravens games back when the league started and it was really popular with the clubs whilst improving the atmosphere for matches. Tickets are given to one club each week until each have had a turn.

Thoughts?

Topic #29783 | Report this topic

KingJames  
Years ago

That is a good idea actually

Reply #384979 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

When they perform like that, I think giving back to the junior ranks is best. Perhaps set up a foundation type thing, offering 500 tickets for example to the club who can do the most community based service or something.

Reply #384980 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

A winning team will fill the arena. A few more losses like that may force a coaching change. He's had his chances & this squad should finish top 2.

Trev Gleeson?

He would kick ass with this team & is available...

Reply #384987 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is an un atractive sport to watch at the moment. The umpiring is killing the game and that is why I will watch from home as it is not worth the money.

Reply #384999 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Sunday afternoon at 1:30...no wonder there are empty seats. Have a reasonable schedule and they will come!

Reply #385000 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

BRING BACK SAT 7PM, OR OFFER SUNDAY 3:30 START, ANYHOW TODAY WAS NOT THAT BAD IT LOOKED LIKE 5

Reply #385001 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Time is not good, many juniors have training and today was u18 state trials so that probably stopped a few people going

Reply #385014 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Last Saturday at 7.30pm there were 4300 there, so Im not sure that's the answer. Until they start winning consistently I cant see them getting more than the 4000-5000 that have been at most games the last couple of years.

To have 4700 there today after three seasons of last or second last is still pretty good. If the team shows they are finally for real that number will improve.

Reply #385022 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Crowd wasn't bad at all, especially given the early Sunday time slot Attendance was apparently around 4720. Most clubs would be thrilled with that number

Reply #385030 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

There looked to be significantly less than 4700 there. Lucky to be 4000 I'd say.

Reply #385032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need time change to 5 or 7 I guarantee we get over 5000 at games atm others junior have training basketball sa didn't want friday night games so it won't affect manager pays etc will be glad for the fri say games
to return

Reply #385035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Looked to be over 5000 there today. Im surprised the crowd was bigger than the Saturday night game.

Reply #385039 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Good idea. Give each district club enough tickets for each player in the under 14 age groups, and make sure they are given to the players. Parents will buy tickets to go with the kids also which creates revenue. Games will be packed and create better atmosphere which is needed urgently seeing how quiet the crowd is. Not to mention bigger media attention, looks better on TV broadcasts, etc etc etc

Reply #385048 | Report this post

annon  
Years ago

great idea even give tickets to ausie hoops kids and school basketball. Why not get the district kids out there at half time with a shooting competion each club enters their best shooter for the grade, the next week have the fastest kids run off and then a ball skills competition. Let the crouds see some of our talented juniors, that may encourage them to get their kids into basketball. Keep offering the $10 tickets etc just get the arena full so basketball can stay there.

Reply #385085 | Report this post

BALLER#3  
Years ago

Yes it does look extremely bad having empty sections like that. I would like them to make the ends 10 dollars and with every adult a registered junior with basketball sa or sa country gets free entry. I think that could fill the stadium.

And possibly try and get together a bunch Of willing people say 30 people on each end, directly behind the basket first 3 rows. As a cheer squad type thing, they must wear blue, and pump up the crowd and put of the opposition on free throws etc. offer these people 100 dollar season tickets as long as they get into it and pump up the crowd!

Other then that they are doing all the things right, but still want to see a more flowing game then what is being produced now. It can't hurt the crowds and tv viewers.

Reply #385091 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

The crowd looked good on TV yesterday, as opposed to the first two games, because there were people at the ends.

I dont think there is any reason to panic, but smart discount deals for juniors are definitely a good strategy. Dont compromise on adult ticket prices though or it can devalue the product.

Reply #385092 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can only devalue a product that is valuable. There are changes needed to make basketball a success and they are not happening.

Reply #385093 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Well, it's of value to the 2500-odd members and they are the most important customers.

Reply #385095 | Report this post

Camel 31  
Years ago

There are those that are creatures of habit ,
they used to whiz into a big parking area in william st and watch their favorite players
They got chased away last season but ya park there agen now and watch a new team
Seems it was live on OneHD

Reply #385101 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Paul I'd argue it's the missing ten thousand that is the most important number as well as growing a sport which is in danger of falling even further behind other sports rather than settling for 2500 which is peanuts.

Reply #385117 | Report this post

Louie  
Years ago

Last round vs Cairns we had 4300. This week it was reported to have 4700 eventhough it looked like there were way more than 400 extra people.

Surely a miscalculation somewhere?? Groupon sold 1000 tickets and after last weeks performance/win you would expect another 4300 + 1000 group ons = 5300.

My initial though was 5,500 looking around. Anyone else agree?

Reply #385214 | Report this post

ringlord  
Years ago

A latter time slot would be a good start,although i will still be there no matter when.

Reply #385218 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's not about settling, it's more about ensuring the most committed customers who put the most money in remain loyal and building from that.

Strategies to target new supporters need to make sure they dont alienate existing fans (because you might end up with neither), and by targeting juniors as other posters have suggested you can achieve that balance.

Reply #385226 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:43 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754