Nahum
Years ago

NBL should go back to 12 minute qtrs

I don't understand why we needed to be in line with FIBA rules and reduce our game time down and play only 10 minutes per quater... The games feel so short at the moment and it's almost like watching a State league game with the low scores that each team seems to average!

It's far more exciting seeing teams crack the 100, and it also gives players more time to stamp themselves on a game.

Topic #29954 | Report this topic

Kobe24  
Years ago

Been said all before agree, but its been said and not much can be done about it.

Reply #387705 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

get over it, it's 10 minute quarters. We play a Fiba style of game under Fiba rules.
At least NBA teams like Perth play actual hard nose defense, d so tough that fans hate them for it.
When someone throws down a dunk in traffic, they earnt it, there are no easy buckets, especially if you are playing Townsville in the semi's.

I think you'll find watching lay up after layup isn't that exciting (how many guys in this league actually throw it down even in the open court fastbreak?) .
This league isn't quite as athletic as the NBA so even though the scores may get higher you aren't necessarily going to see more highlights or "better basketball". You may see more development players getting on the court for more minutes as with the guys further down the bench getting a few more minutes.
I don't mind 10 minute quarters. Guys like Vukona and Damian Martin get to play hard d all game with less chance of fouling out and the starters are on the court instead of the bench.

Reply #387706 | Report this post

X  
Years ago

I think people read far too much into the effect it has on the quality/style of basketball.

Having said that, I'd still much prefer 48 minute games. 40 is nothing.

Reply #387711 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

i swear this thread comes up every other week when sixers get a win and people cant post the sack marty thread.

Reply #387721 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Ugh, seriously? Talk about rehashing old threads...

Reply #387732 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Yes this is old but agree

Reply #387753 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

We should go back to when we had no shot clock as well.

Reply #387781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Three point line is overrated too.

Reply #387788 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Peach baskets!

Reply #387801 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

get rid of the half court line as well, don't need it

Reply #387813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

peach baskets orginally had no holes in the bottom someone had to be positioned on balcony to reach in and throw the balls back down. the game resumed with an alternating centre pass, like netball! so that way we can do away with the arrow as well.

Reply #387816 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Mystro - less chance of fouling out? 5 fouls in the 40 minute game and 6 fouls in the 48 minute game. I don't see the less chance of fouling out in that?

If anything, I reckon coaches bench players if they get 2 fouls early in a 40 minute game, as they only have 3 left to burn, whereas they would tend to leave them on until they got their 3rd foul in the 48 minute game.

A rarely mentioned problem with 40 minute game is that, at the end of close games, the tactic of deliberate fouling and sending the other team to the line consumes a larger proportion of the game than it did with the 48 minute game. Those end games are not entertaining, from a spectator viewpoint. So the fact it chews up a larger percentage of time in the shorter game devalues the product.

Reply #387869 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

6 fouls is completely idiotic, might as well make it 12 Fouls and punching people i the face is 3 points

Reply #387871 | Report this post

Glen  
Years ago

I think 48 min games would improve the public perception.

People see NBA scores like 114-106, then see an NBL score of 86-75 and the assumption is that the NBL players are too crap to score.
It sounds stupid, but I have heard such comments many times when introducing NBL to friends. The general public is not aware NBL games are much shorter.

Reply #387879 | Report this post

yoyo  
Years ago

Yes bring back 12 min quarters!!!

Reply #388233 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bring bank 12 min quarters. Now all the records mean nothing, how could they be so idiotic to change this fundamental feature of our league. Also forty minutes has exposed NBL as low-scoring defensive slop. Makes it easier for teams to grind.

Reply #388448 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:26 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754