NBL MVP

It's still early in the season but who do you think is the NBL MVP?

I think it would go something like...

1st- Cedric Jackson
2nd- Seth Scott
3rd- Ben Madgen
4th- Matthew Knight
5th- Adris Deleon

Jonny Flynn will be up there when he puts some meaningful numbers up and so will Kevin Lisch

Topic #29981 | Report this topic

orbit  
Years ago

I like 1 & 5

Reply #388111 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

Pero Vasiljevic will be up there when he puts up some meaningful numbers, too

Come to think of it, so will any player I can think of...

Reply #388115 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

On a serious note - it's interesting to look at Madgen's season. Heal seems to have given him the same licence to shoot that he had as a player and Madgen has responded accordingly. Having a very impressive season, offensively. Leading the league in ppg and extending that lead today.

To a large degree too, how he has produced has determined how Sydney has performed, in games. Not sure I'd rate him #2 in MVP yet, though. Like orbit, I think Jackson and Deleon are the standouts, at this stage.

Reply #388116 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

I thought Deleon was overrated last year.

This year he has been amazing.

Controlling the whole game, tempo and clock-management wise.

Reply #388118 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Can we please only give it to a player that leads his team to the playoffs?

Reply #388119 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I'd go Jackson and maybe Madgen outside chance at this point.

Reply #388120 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

If you only give it to a player whose team makes the playoffs, that makes Ben Allen ineligible.

Not very fair, IMO...

Reply #388121 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Most Valuable Pony.

Reply #388124 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

Jackson was robbed of the MVP last year and he is playing probably better this year already.

So far this season I'd say:
1. Jackson
2. Madgen
3. Deleon
4. Pledger
5. Knight

Reply #388126 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Its Jackson with a fair gap to number 2 for me, I also thought he should have won it last year.

The only one who could take it from him for me is Flynn, if he starts shooting the ball at around 40% he would likely average something around 20pts, 6asts, 5 rebounds, which would put him right there, but id still go Jackson as he has been here the whole season and could dominate the game scoring 5 points, not sure Flynn can do that. So ill put him at 2nd, if him and Jackson stay in the league next season and play every game it will be a real tight battle between the 2.

Madgen is 3rd for me, shooting the lights out! Leading the league in scoring, damm i wish we had this SA guy in a 36ers uniform, but ah well, Smyth and Farley predicted he would be a gun years ago before he went to college, pity the 36ers didnt sign him up a couple of years ago when he was initially the kings 11th man, (who worked his way to the starting 5) over Herbert or Ng, but ah well.

My 4th and 5th would be Deleon and Matt Knight

Theres my prediction at the end of the season, as Flynn wouldnt be top 5 right now, i just reckon he will get there, for me he has been playing just ok for him and averaging around 15 and 5, which is still great, i predict his shooting will improve, and he will have a few big games along the way, and end up averaging around 20pts, 6 assists, 5 rebounds.

Reply #388131 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

So far it's out of Jackson, Madgen and Deleon. I wouldn't say who's the leader yet, not until we're around round 20-22 when the playoff picture becomes clear

Reply #388157 | Report this post

Spursfan  
Years ago

Correct me if I'm wrong, but playoffs and looking at records is irrelevant. Isn't it like the Brownlow system where points are awarded for each game. Isn't that why they said it was out of the Sydney vs Wollongong game (last of the season for both teams) to decide who'd win MVP?

Reply #388162 | Report this post

Sam  
Years ago

Lets assume Cedric won't win it, because last year he should have, kirk penney should have one it either two or three years ago, can't remember and carlos powell should have won it. They were all the best in the year but because they play for the breakers they're made ineligible.

Reply #388185 | Report this post

Nike Al  
Years ago

Poach deserved the MVP last season Jackson is over rated he only performs when there is no quality point guard which can defend eg he struggles against the cat the sixers and the hawks The way things are going madgen or Deleon will be MVP

Reply #388186 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Flynn can't win after missing 5 rounds. The voting system doesn't allow you to miss that many games.

Adris has been very good in his good games although would have had a few games where he'll struggle to get a vote.

GRIFFINRONDOPIERCE23 first up effort looks pretty close to where it should be right about now although there is a long way to go.

Reply #388187 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

"Jackson is over rated he only performs when there is no quality point guard which can defend eg he struggles against the cat the sixers and the hawks"

no one in the Breakers struggles against the Sixers, when was the last time you beat them?
Every PG in the league struggles with the Cats and the physicality that they are allowed.
The Hawks probably are NZ's bogey team over the past couple of seasons.

Jackson limped around the court last season and was almost MVP, this season he isn't limping and is dominating.

Reply #388192 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The NZ gets robbed stuff is hilarious. Penney missed games trying to make the NBA, Jackson was no better than Lisch or Wilson last year, and Carlos Powell wasnt a shadow of Sam Mackinnon, he was just stats hungry.

This year Jackson, Deleon and Madgen are the standouts so far, Tragardh, Knight and Scott would be leading the pack chasing them.

Reply #388199 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Jackson also would've lost votes to Wilkinson, etc. Obviously more than Lisch lost to his team mates.

Reply #388203 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

I agree with anon that the "hard done by" angle is rubbish. Penney missed games and Jackson was on a stacked team that on any given night 2-3 players stepped up. Carlos Powell was a ball hog who really only had an offensive game.

Reply #388204 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

Spursfan - Yeah that's how it's worked out. Doesn't mean that how the fans should pick their MVP though.

Flynn won't win it because of the games his missed, but personally i don't even put him in the same category as Jackson and Deleon, yet.

Reply #388210 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:59 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754