State Champs - next year

well guys - next year - no long weekend in May

So - do we run it over 2 weekends at the same time (ie two weekends in May).

That would be best for me as a coach - prepares the kids for classics / nunawading

just means country folk have to come over 2 weekends - or the country teams get all their games in a shorter period - ie start Thursday night - the would have to take Friday off school.

or - run it in March about round 2-3 of winter comp - the new public holiday weekend - i believe will be called volunteer's day? (not 100% sure on that)

or - do we start our main winter season earlier - ie week 2 of feb - so we are 5-6 rounds in.

Also - we need an earlier close off date for nominations - ie 1 week before - and the draw up 1 week before.
I know it is huge with the logistics - but even more the need to have something going earlier - the usual problems were filtering through on game day - ie double bookings - which if done earlier would have been picked up

it just requires the clubs to get organized earlier!

also we should allow the larger clubs to run 2 teams in some grades - if only 4,5,6 or 7 nominate and a club has another team waiting - they should come in to offer more opportunities for that group - of course they can not get any points

well done with refs - the quality we had was good - and good to see country and interstaters here

good coffee at pasadena

Topic #3003 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

I really hope that you are being scarcastic with your reference to coffee at Pasadena. I've had mud that was more palatable!

Reply #34258 | Report this post

Pegs  
Years ago

From my persepective:

Need champs in April or May, maybe Anzac day long weekend (but that may not be considered "Australian" and the day is on Tuesday next year anyway). This is the best time for determining who goes to Classics.

Only have two grades. If you want the other grades to have Carnivals then do it some other time. The strain on umpiring numbers was very evident. Your comment about umpiring tells me you didn't go to Unley or you were very lucky!

Only one team per grade, ie the best two teams from each club can compete.

That is my two bob

Reply #34263 | Report this post

On the outer  
Years ago

Reinstate Under 10's

Scrap Reserve Grade 2

1 team per club per grade. This weekend is the one weekend a year that junior basketball in this state focuses on the elite. If people can't accept that then run a div 3 and down fun first carnival on another weekend as well. Simple

10 teams per STATE grade, two groups of 5. Include All-Star 5 and MVP voting (as was done in the past and scrapped because it was too much work). MAKE the member clubs nominate!! *Shame on you North Adelaide.

Close nominations at least 2 months before the event. MAKE clubs nominate on time. How hard is it to make a phone call on the due date to clubs who haven't?

Use internet access at venues to relay information. Many errors this weekend and every state champs come because info and results are written by hand and sent via fax, never a safe option. Also means instant display of results on the net for competitors.

On that DON'T USE SPORTINGPULSE!!

Build it up. It's the biggest basketball event in South Australia. It's not a friendly carnival. Make it the event it should be.

Get A Sixer to host the presentations (again make sure you have a working mic).

Credit where it's due. This weekend happens and is run because of a small group of people. Those being:

Each club's Junior Rep and Committee members and others who volunteer their time to man the phones update results and keep things running.

Each stadiums local lowly paid stadium staff of whom get NO credit for their efforts.

And this year more so then ever Neil Poulton and his staff of UIC's who had to organise referees at the very last minute - not an easy task considering the state of local reffing numbers and that the helping VICS reffed almost exclusively at one venue.

Hopefully Boti's comments will have the desired result and BASA will realise that local basketball is more then just a money spinner.

Reply #34277 | Report this post

thongs  
Years ago

It was nice to see the lady who ever she was , cause the mic, in the major presention was not workin, Ahhh the lady, nice dressing , ,,, with thongs giving away trophies to the champions & runners up in front of the big number of cheerers,mums, dads friends & grandparents,in 2006 plz do come in bathers.

Reply #34338 | Report this post

boost juice  
Years ago

did she have a t bar - type thong ?

or foot thong

it's a kid show - should maybe not be in thongs

it was sam woosnam - wasn't it?

Reply #34341 | Report this post

what ajoke  
Years ago

ye mic not workin in a major presention, lady in thongs, wrong stadiums,no programs, overall thank u ,lookin for a better organised & well informed for parents of the kids in 2006

Reply #34342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Why not have a State Champs season instaed of a weekend. Say the summer season could also double as State champs cause it's only 1 round. Sorry to the country teams cause they will find it hard to come down every week but individal players do it.
Monkey

Reply #34443 | Report this post

Wish I could Dunk  
Years ago

Heard BASA picks up around $100,000 from the State Champs....come in money spinner

Reply #34452 | Report this post

Dunk that sucker  
Years ago

Anonymous you obviously have a bad taste in your mouth. I had two coffees at PAS and they were both great. Clean your teeth more regularly.

Reply #34532 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

State Champs over 2 weekends... Thats the way

Reply #34536 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

what about over easter?

Reply #34574 | Report this post

Jay  
Years ago

Firstly, the coffee at Pasadena was great I thought- better than the dishwater you get elsewhere!

Secondly, if we are having a long weekend in March, why not just move the State champs to that weekend- none of this 2 weeks business or season-long champs- they are State championships so need to be available for teams outside of the metro area. Would you like the Classics or Nunawading carnivals to be run on this basis?

I think we need to get back to having just 2 grades- State and Reserve, and return to the elite feel of the whole thing. This also restricts the need for interstate umpires and hopefully will alleviate many of the problems encountered this year. There are other carnivals where teams at a lower level can participate. Having had children play in State champs for quite a few years, I feel qualified to say that once you start opening the champs up to lower grades, it surely loses the essence of being the carnival determining the champions of the State, and the reserve champions.

Finally, I hope State champs are never held over Easter. I am not overly religious, but to hold such an important carnival over such an important weekend in the church calendar is just not on.

Reply #34593 | Report this post

jo coolgo eagles  
Years ago

Reserve pool 2 was just a money making exercise by BASA, especially when clubs such as Sturt put in their highly placed Div 2 teams. If I had known Div 2 teams had been entered my kid would never have played. Not a level playing field.

Reply #34802 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If you have it in March, you wouldn't be able to fit in with SA COUNTRY holding their Country Carnivals at a mixture of 4 stadiums.

Also chuck in that Easter could fall in around at that time. And CLIPSAL.

Reply #34813 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't think they'll let the cars play basketball!

Reply #34817 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

jo coolgo eagles,

It is a very level playing field. Sturt's and many other club's 3rd teams are playing most other club's 3rd, 2nd and 1st teams. If they put these teams in Div 3 then they would thrash everybody every week, not good for basketball!!

Reply #34822 | Report this post

Wayne Beaumont  
Years ago

jo coolgo eagles,
I agree - just tell your club to vote to allow my 2 Div 2 teams to play in Div 2 and I will promise to play my Div 3 team in Div 3.

I will also let you know that my Div 2 team had 2 Div 3 girls in it and my Div 3 team had 4 Div 3 girls because of player unavailability.

Reply #35011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How about every club automatically plays their top TWO teams ONLY! Top team in State, 2nd best team in RESERVE no matter what division they play or have teams in during the regular season.

Even BASA would be thankful for that, should make programs a little easier to get out before the weekend starts.

Reply #35012 | Report this post

Bart  
Years ago

Bring back to Division 1 and Division 2 only.

Clubs noiminate one team for each Division.

Keep it where it is on the calendar and utilise Thursday night to play some preliminaries.

Less teams more court availability better depth of umpiring and teams can still plan for Nationals.

Improve communication and profile.

Thats all.

Reply #36649 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree with you "bart"

Reply #37862 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 6:50 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754