SEABL Fans.
Years ago

SEABL 2013.

Ok, lets talk, who are going to be the movers, shakers, improvers and sliders for 2013, both Women and Men.

Ill Start, Albury Men to slide, Bendigo Men to improve, Nunawading Women to slide big time, Knox Women to Win it all.

Topic #30030 | Report this topic

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dandenong men and women to win it all.

Reply #388973 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ballarat to have a completely different side. No Scoines (injuries/retired), Barnes (football), McCallum (football), Reggie Larry (import), Coenraad is heading to taking the year off if Kevin White keeps getting minutes he could be considered an import so they probably won't opt for that option and Joyce might be staying put in Wollongong.

They have added Matt Hansen, Kris Blicavs and Chris Smith from Mt Gambier.

Reply #388974 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Far to many player signings to be completed at this stage to speculate to much but what we know so far in the Men is

Bendigo have two outstanding imports in McFarlin and Ferguson

Dandenong return the 4 most important players to their list (Harms, Hobba, Montreal and Lewis) and bring in a young stud in Odigie who will more than fill the shoes of the loss of Jois

Herbert back for Geelong will be a big boost to their chances

Mt Gambier will be much better with Daly joining and if imports are good they should be back into finals action

Reply #388975 | Report this post

H  
Years ago

McCallum is going to be playing at Horsham in Big V D2M. On some good $$$

Reply #388977 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury will certainly be under the pump. It will be interesting to see who they get in place of Ferguson.

Reply #388990 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word is that Albury have a gun PG coming in to replace Ferguson and with the rest of the roster returning they should be in with a good chance to defend again. Depth is their only issue and an injury to any of their starting 5 would make it very hard for them to even make finals, it's that fine a line.

Lets not forget they only made finals last year by head to head! Knox were clear on top but Albury, Nunawading, Hobart, Ballarat and Kilsyth all tied on 16-12 record for 2nd-6th in battle for top 4!

Reply #388993 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

Hobart Chargers will be rebuilding for the next couple of years so I doubt they will be finals contenders. Will be interesting how a bunch of young guys and two imports can go in the SEABL comp!

Reply #388995 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

Bendigo men 2 win it all!

Reply #388996 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart have been hanging onto veteran players for a long time so having to go through some development pain was always on the cards. It's either that or splash the cash to buy in a team.

Reply #388997 | Report this post

Anon  
Years ago

Anybody know where Tiri is playing as he has apparently moved to Melb.

Reply #389004 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Hobart and Development are not usually in the same sentence!

Reply #389005 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

Woah, Hobart give their youngsters the opportunity to train with the squad and prepare for there chance to show themselves on the court. Also Tiri Musunda will not be returning to Hobart this year as he is moving to Melbourne as Anon stated. It will be interesting to see if youngster Josh Youl gets promoted from bench warmer to starting PG (which is a Hugh jump for anyone)!!!

Reply #389011 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Massive ask for Youl, can't see Stewart doing that, he will bring someone in for sure. Don't think Deba would be the answer or Armstrong, but they would both be ahead of Youl you'd think.

Reply #389013 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Masunda to Knox

Reply #389032 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not much PT at Knox for Tiri with Sean Carroll playing 35mpg...

Reply #389035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour is that Mt Gambier is looking at Willie Farley and Kevin Brooks, for the two import spots

Reply #389045 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

No guarantee Masunda will be moving to Melb at all.

Reply #389057 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

little birdy told me (Admittly at 2am by a certain nights bar) that if Masunda he gets a job in his choosen field he might not have time to play SEABL due to work commitments and might end up playing Big V.

Not sure how true this is but my mail is if he plays Big V he'll be wear red & black!

That said i have heard Knox/Kilsyth are chasing him to be back up PG

Reply #389061 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

TB. I will clarify my first comment, and say that Hobart is a vital part of SEABL!

Youl is an emerging performer who doesn't get consistent minutes but is to reliant on his o/s game.

Ditto Krebs. Who's not afraid of the spotlight ala his potential game winner vs Dandenong - much to Polk's dismay!

Jack Osborn was mainly developed at Adams State and has now jumped to AFL!!

With $$ drying up for imports + retreads (Armstrong, Harris etc) they're under the pump.

Stewart should've been prepping their youngsters for sometime so they would be READY for this season.

Reply #389066 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

SMA - Agree with you in respect to young guys getting playing time at Hobart...They are a key part of the SEABL comp however unles they put together some $$$ for a few Vic players to move South they could struggle....can't rely on 2 imports to get it done you need another 4 or 5 solid SEABL level performers other wise you'll anchor the ladder for a number of years to come.

Reply #389068 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Just ask Canberra about that. The league is too strong now for the small town teams to rely only local talent.
I heard that Canberra's new import PG can play. So that is a start, but gathering from last year’s performance they will need more than that.

Reply #389077 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

NCAA div 3 is not a great standard and watching is tapes he should be a solid contributor but wont be a stud.

Reply #389082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Frankston may be back into finals contention with the addictions of Ben Louis and James Orr. Both very long athletic players who contribute across the board.
Returning all the important players from last year as well.
New coach will bring new energy. They will be tough.

Reply #389109 | Report this post

Moon  
Years ago

Joe Werner was from Division 3 college. If I recall he could play

Reply #389121 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Joe was D3 but he was a standout who did go to a good school and had a great work ethic.Check out the Canberra import on youtube and the standard isnt great.Thats not to say this guy hasnt got something to offer.Alot of guys that go to smaller schools have alot more hunger than the big d1 schools.I know of a d2 import that came here and absolutely ran rings around a 6 man from Duke.

Reply #389137 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Brisbane can avoid the injury issues they had last year they will be the big improves, Tueta, Kenny, Gameron, Brebner, George is a nice Australian core to build around.

Reply #389157 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I have heard that Gameron and Amar from Brisbane are both going elsewhere

Reply #389158 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Last night Tiri Masunda signed to play at Kilsyth

Reply #389160 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

With Masunda signing where does that leave Mavlik?

Reply #389179 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Malvik was told he wont be required for 2013. Kilsyth to sign another new import too.

Reply #389186 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

What type of import will they go for as there second?

Reply #389189 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Point guard i believe.

Reply #389190 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

I thought Masunda was a point guard?

Reply #389193 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Word out of Kilsyth is they are still chasing a import PG so Masunda will play a back up role for them.

Pretty handy back up player!

Reply #389210 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kilsyth looking tough with Import PG (no doubt similar to Ferguson, got to love the copycat syndrome) import shooter, O'Hea, Masunda, McMillan and Lang. They have a few good kids there as well, should see them back in finals?

Gameron and Ammar not back at Brisbane? That would hurt them big time!

Reply #389261 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Word out of Knox is that they will invest in key kids from their D-League program. Names like Horstmann, Waterhouse, Hare, Johnson, Leigh.

Nice mix with Massingale, Strong, Hill, S. Carroll, Phillip.

Also had word that Massingale is in almost career best shape cos of his time at Adelaide. Scary thought for the rest of the league if he STARTS the season in career best...

Reply #389302 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fill in the gaps

Albury
In: Hollis, Opacic, Momo
Gone: Jazzmarr
Rumour: Import PG

Ballarat
In: Blicavs, Hanson, Smith
Gone: Coenraad, Joyce, Scoines, McCallum, Barnes
Rumour:

Brisbane
In: George, Tuetu, Kenny
Gone:
Rumour: Ammar?? Gameron??

Bendigo
In: Jazzmar, McFarlin, Atkins, Probert, Bartlett, Bell, Hogan
Gone: Imports, Tanner, Novak
Rumour:

Canberra
In: Griffin
Gone: Lacey (melb work), Smith
Rumour:

Dandenong
In: Odigie, Lewis, Montreal, Harms, Hobba
Gone: Jois, Barker, Louis
Rumour:

Frankston
In: Orr, Louis, McInnes, Witherden, Chapman, Dennis
Gone: Imports
Rumour:

Geelong
In: Herbert, Loader, Medved, Owusu
Gone: Rebula, Imports?
Rumour:

Hobart
In:
Gone: Osborne, Misunda?
Rumour:

Kilsyth
In: Kusnyer, Bridgewater, Misunda?
Gone: Blair, Malvic
Rumour:

Knox
In:
Gone:
Rumour:

Mt Gambier
In: Warbout, Daly
Gone: Jeffree
Rumour:

Nunawading
In: McDonald, Cameron
Gone: Hicks
Rumour:

NW Tassie
In: Gaff, Harris, Payne
Gone: Shawntes
Rumour:

Sandringham
In: Pichon,
Gone: Mualbach
Rumour: Hoare?

Reply #389321 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Mt Gambier
In: Warbout, Daly, Burdon, Sutton
Gone: Jeffree, Smith
Rumour: Russel?

Reply #389324 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Polk gone from Hobart, twittered that he is looking for a gig.

Reply #389351 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

If Kilsyth have signed Masunda they won't get an import PG. O Hea and Masunda will share ball carrying duties with youngster Johnson backing up. You can expect an import 2/3 and Bridgewater as 2nd import. Starters will most likely be Masunda, O Hea, Import, Lang and MacMillan. Pretty solid Squad!

Looks like Knox will have a bit of a rebuilding year with a number of their core group pushing 30. With Carrol, Massingale, Mick, Lester forming the core they're still pretty strong. If they can get a few of their juniors up to scratch they'll have some sustained power looking foward. Having said that they should definely make finals.

Albury will be under the pump.. The loss of Ferguson really rules them out of contention I think. Even if they retain their core group, if they can't replace Ferguson with an import just as good or better they're gonna struggle.

Finals will be Dandenong, Kilsyth, Knox, Nuna, Mt Gambier, Frankston, Brisbane, Geelong.

Heard it here first.

Reply #389352 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Polk is a beast. saw him at Knox last year tear Lester a new one. Could fit in nicely at a Franga or Sandy

Reply #389356 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bridgewater is now an aussie so expect Kilsyth to get two imports (one is Kusyner) on top of him, O'Hea, Johnson, Lang, McMillan and maybe Masunda.
You would think a PG would be the right choice and O'Hea can focus on being the Shooting Guard he is.
That would be a championship type list!

Reply #389357 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Polk would surely get a job in SEABL elsewhere if he wanted to play here. Agreed, Sandringham may want to pair him with Pichon to clean the glass!

Mt Gambier, Frankston, Geelong, Brisbane, Ballarat, Nunawading could all be in the hunt for him if Hobart have released him?

Reply #389358 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston import is nearly a done deal.6-9 inside outside, very educated off the court,straight out of college.Mt Gambier would be a good fit for Polk.Certainly a guy that can play in this league.

Reply #389361 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Frankston import avg 11/5 in senior year, 44%field ,38% from 3 point and 76% foul line

Reply #389363 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

thats some good size and shooting ability for the frankston import!! A stretch 4/5.

They will be much better this season.

New coach with great resume
James Orr and Ben Louis very athletic players
This new import plus another!
Mitch Chapman running the show, Grant Dennis and Matt Witherden doing their thing plus a couple of kids.

Frankston may just be back in the hunt for a conference title again!

Reply #389369 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any more word on Geelong?
Mecanovic out, Rebula gone. Imports gone?
Saw Medved, Loader, Owusu and Herbert signed.

Sandringham, Knox and Nunawading very quiet as well.

Reply #389370 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Mark Lacey moving to Melbourne...any idea were he is going to play?

He'd be a solid pick up for a number of teams

Reply #389394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I don't hink Lacey is playing anywhere.
Would be a handy pick up.

Reply #389420 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

What Is Chuck Long doing?
He is coaching a Junior Blues team this season, so is still around the place.
I hope he stays, as the local kids love him.

Reply #389430 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Polk confirmed as gone:
http://www.themercury.com.au/article/2012/11/29/367291_sport-news.html

Reply #389439 | Report this post

tassieballer  
Years ago

The word around Hobart is that Robbie Inches will be making a return from retirement to play with the Chargers again. So much for developing the youngsters. Another rumor is the Josh Youl has decided not to return to the team so he can focus on study!!

Reply #389455 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Youl to uni in launcestn. Inches no.

Reply #389464 | Report this post

Happy Days  
Years ago

Chuck Long is still an import until he gets his Aus citizenship.When that happens i wouldnt expect they'd bring in another import.They have budget which they need to stick to and no room for another import.

Reply #389523 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Word is that the Chargers are looking at NSW players to replace Polk

Reply #389575 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Any names? Martin Iti would be a good signing

Reply #389576 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spectres women have had some underwhelming signings, after the group they had last season it looks like nearly everyone has left?

Reply #389585 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL Watcher, any clues?

Reply #389603 | Report this post

jason  
Years ago

Iti is heading back to NZBL , a few QBL teams were interested him but already committed to wellington

Reply #389609 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Anonymous: I wasn't given names but a Kings connection was mentioned so it could even be Garlep (will he be restricted next year?) or one of their development players maybe. They had a huge kid with them last season called Tanner Kerry but he looked very raw. It might be just a Waratah player like Goran Veg or Tom Dawson. Jordan Gregg played in a second division Waratah league so they've had good success up there already.

Reply #389618 | Report this post

Tassieballer  
Years ago

Word is that Sydney Kings player Greame Dann might be signing with the Hobart Chargers for the upcoming SEABL season.

Reply #389635 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wow. Dann would be a great pickup. The loss of Osborne would hurt the Chargers. Dann can play many spots and would be a great asset to any team.

Reply #389680 | Report this post

anonymous  
Years ago

spectres woman would be lucky to win a d league game most players not returning ,they probably should have stuck with Jason, they seem to be signing players that have little impact if any at all, hope the coaches arnt on a 2 year contract

Reply #389798 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gynes back to Canberra? Well I'll be...

I would have thought both he & the club would have had enough of each other.

Reply #390056 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Geelong Supercats should again feature as a top 2 or 3 team with their reputation for picking very capable imports, stay tuned for the word on the 2013 signings.

Mecanovic is a loss as he was finding some great form, sad to hear of Dave's injury, we all hope he comes good for 2014.

Rebula is young and will be missed for his team spirit and potential but his minutes would not suggest the team will be hurt too badly by his move to the Big V.

Essentially the Supercats should be very solid and hard to beat again in 2013!

Reply #390065 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Janev back for NW Tassie.
Janev, Gaff, Payne(new import).
Big line up with Harris as well.
Who is gong to get the ball up the court to them?

Reply #390075 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Really Janev with Harris, Gaff and Payne?

That is a very big line up. Harris needs the ball within 3ft of rim. Gaff is good to about 8ft. Janev can shoot the 3 so that fits. New import Payne looks like a close to the basket guy as well although does have ability to attack rim from perimeter.

They have the size and will play a long 2-3 zone!

Ben Armstrong and Nick Haywood, Lee McGaffin and Dylan Warren surely round out the group.

If they can make tall ball work they could be pretty good.

Reply #390082 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Masunda signs with Kilsyth.
Good pick up.
They already have a new import SF, what position will there other import be?
Surely Masunda would not have signed if he is going to be playing behind an import PG.

http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6321&cHash=41ce84b281

Reply #390171 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

Thanks for the info on Dann Tassieballer. That confirms what my source was suggesting but certainly wasn't the name I was expecting. I had thought of Iti or Garlepp or even a development player like Jenkins or Kerry but not Dann since I still dont think of him as a big.

Their PG choice will be interesting.

Reply #390172 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Masunda worked out at Knox but they could not afford what he was after.

Reply #390183 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Masunda came with a very big price tag for a guy who is yet to prove he is a starting PG on a top team at SEABL level....from all reports it put a few Melb based teams off.....

Reply #390194 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

So are you saying that Masunda's starting position in Hobart doesn't count?

Reply #390219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I second Anons comment. @ Tiger Watcher.. What criteria do you hold for a 'top team'? Hobart have been to consecutive finals for a number of years now bar one last year where they missed out by one or two games.

Reply #390231 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Clearly Tiger watcher doesnt know a lot about the SEABL. Nor Masunda

Reply #390238 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Masunda to Kilsyth is great for them and a big loss for Hobart!

Interesting to see what 2nd import thet now bring in as I'm pretty sure he wouldn't sign there to come off the bench! He could have done that at Knox!!

Reply #390264 | Report this post

SEAL Watcher  
Years ago

Jeff Dowdell to Canberra
http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6328&cHash=83e4ac0324

Reply #390372 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Good pick up by Canberra.
Dowdell is tough in SEABL.
Last time he played for NW Tassie he averaged 20 & 10.
Just what the Gunners needed, with a healthy Gynes and import PG, Gunners suddenly might win a game or 2.

Reply #390376 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Gunners getting together a group that will be SEABL level this year!

Import guard
Gynes
Dowdell
Miller
Richardson
Mesman

Good platform to build from. The Gunners are back!!

Reply #390377 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It just shows that in SEABL just like most pro leagues you have to spend the dollars to get the results.

& even then it isn't a given.

Reply #390394 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Agree that you need to bring in a couple of talented players each year to win SEABL but it will be the locals that keep you in the hunt year after year!

Reply #390403 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox offered the same to masunda.

Reply #390461 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox could of done with Masunda, he would of added some speed to there slow backcourt.

Reply #390596 | Report this post

SEABL Watcher  
Years ago

The Bandit's replacement import guard sounds decent:
http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6342&cHash=874eb6924b

I still think they'll struggle to stay near the top of the table & have little chance of a repeat title but they should remain competitive at least.

Reply #390834 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Masunda would have had to have played BEHIND Carrol.
You can see why he chose Kilsyth and what was the Raiders new Head Coach thinking.

Reply #390838 | Report this post

Ballin  
Years ago

Young Tanner Krebs will be getting valuable minutes off the bench this year with the Chargers. He is only 16 and this could be a great opportunity for him. Last year got very little minutes but definitely made the most of what he got. Tassieballer have you seen him play lately what can we expect come next season?

Reply #391521 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Where will he be this season?

Reply #391526 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Tony Meier to join Frankston? Very good shooting big man.

Reply #391779 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Supercats adding Ash Cannan to roster, important signing for them.

Reply #391780 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bandits have picked up two more players, seems like depth wont be the issue everyone keeps suggesting. Bandits to go back to back!!

Reply #391781 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bandits adding more bigs but that is not where they were lacking. They will struggle in the backcourt if this new import doesn't fire or gets into trouble with injury or fouls.

Reply #391848 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re: Supercats adding Ash Cannan to roster

I bet a few clubs are kicking themselves about this.

Reply #391849 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Re Cannan it wouldn't make any difference what other teams did, he wants to live in Geelong so its a no brainer.

Reply #391853 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

True but money talks

Reply #391863 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury really need to be given more respect! They won the SEABL with 6 players last year, will have 8 this year. New import looks like he will be a big time scorer. They have to be considered a strong chance to repeat!

Reply #391879 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury's chances depend entirely on their new import guard. Ferguson was a first rate player and carried the team for much of their success so Vann has some big shoes to fill. Unless he's close to being as good then I don't see Albury making the playoffs. They only just squeezed in last season thans to a better win/loss against the teams they finished equal with.

Ntumba is a great player but he needs to get the ball. The rest of the team is ordinary even with added depth and Chalmers hasn't convinced me he can coach either.

Reply #391886 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Ntumba, Opacic, Hollis & Harding frontcourt

Vann, Payne, Duck, Watson, DeKoyer backcourt

9 man rotation gives them great depth. They have strong rebounding, defence and perimeter shooting in the group.

Agreed that Vann needs to be good but looking at his numbers and video, he looks pretty decent.

Harsh not to give Chalmers your confidence, he took the second worst team in the league to the conference and league titles!!

Reply #391896 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

This talk of Albury deserving respect annoys me. They brought in 2 good imports and a couple of decent role players from Sydney. Only 2 or 3 locals ever saw more than junk minutes so exactly what are we supposed to respect?

Reply #391897 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Money talks and commands respect.

Reply #391899 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Need to respect the fact they are the champs and they have added another two good role players to their roster!

Without doubt they are spending some $$ but which club isn't?

Reply #391900 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Albury spent very little on players. They were extremely lucky with their import selection. it will be a good test without Jazz there to see how they go this season. I suspect a lot of people took the Bandits last season to be the usual easy beats and didnt do their homework at all. This season that won;y happen again.

Reply #391915 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Knox Women rumored to have picked up a big name, anyone know who.?

Reply #392219 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Rumour ..1 guard from Nunawading and 1 Big from Bendigo

Reply #392321 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Knox have Richards from Bendigo.

Reply #392323 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek to knox

Reply #392324 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

Makes sense to see Kunek joining up again with Cheryl Chambers this time at knox .. good luck

Reply #392325 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Kunek is not going to Knox. Whisper is its Rebecca Allen. If its true that's a great get and huge loss for Nunawading who have seriously imploded in the off season.

Reply #392329 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

Well if it is Rebacca Allen then it would be a good move for her to further her career into the national teams .... Certainly that would leave a big hole in the Spectres team but who knows maybe they have some positive surprises coming as part of their last signings for the next season ?

Reply #392332 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Allan/Richards/ Wilson/Fryters/Andrews....not a bad starting 5

Reply #392342 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Pretty decent starting 5 that's for sure.

Season predictions for the women:

South Conf:

Knox
Kilsyth
Hobart
Ballarat
Launceston
Nunawading
Albury

East Conf:

Geelong
Dandenong
Sandringham
Bendigo
Canberra
Brisbane
Frankston

Sandringham and Hobart to improve and be legit, Nunawading big sliders, Knox to win it all fianally.

Reply #392351 | Report this post

What if  
Years ago

not sure that will be the ranking ....Would not be surprised to see some interesting announcements from several clubs over the next 2 weeks !

Reply #392356 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Knox and Kilsyth will stomp the South.

Geelong should do likewise in the East but will be challenged by Dandenong (as usual) in Playoffs.

Hobart has signed a US big to be announced next week.

Reply #392373 | Report this post

Sixerfan  
Years ago

With Daly and Warbout at Mt Gambier, should the 36ers be looking to use the SEABL program there more as a breeding ground for all their guys outside of the starting line up?

Reply #393081 | Report this post

SEAL Watcher  
Years ago

SMA: "Hobart has signed a US big to be announced next week"

How can they sign another import when they've already signed a point guard & re-signed Jordan Gregg?
http://www.seabl.com.au/index.php?id=257&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=6354&cHash=49a577b95a

I was already trying to figure out how they could fit Dann in there (although this hasn't been announced so perhaps Tassieballer was wrong). Wouldn't Dann be a restricted player?

Reply #393095 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Unless that was the Hobart women...

Reply #393097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That would be Hobart women's team signing the big.

The word is still pretty strong that Hobart have got Dann to go with Gregg in the front court. Williams Jnr and George in backcourt.

Don't be surprised if another NBL bench player ends up going down there as well...

Reply #393100 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fill in the gaps

ALBURY-WODONGA BANDITS
Imports: Ntumba, Vann
In: Hollis, Opacic, Harding, Watson, Duck

Gone: Jazzmarr (Bendigo)
Rumour:

BALLARAT MINERS
Imports: Hanson
In: Blicavs, Smith, Bruce

Gone: Coenraad, j0yce, McCallum, Barnes
Rumour: Scoines

BRISBANE SPARTANS
Imports:
In: George, Tuetu, Kenny

Gone:
Rumour: Ammar, Gameron

BENDIGO BRAVES
Imports: Ferguson, McFarlin
In: Garlepp, Atkins, Probert, Bell, Hogan

Gone: Imports, Tanner (Retire), Novak (Retire), Bartlett (Shepparton)
Rumour:

CANBERRA GUNNERS
Imports: Griffin
In: Dowdell, Gynes

Gone: Lacey (melb work), Smith
Rumour:

DANDENONG RANGERS
Imports: Lewis, Montreal
In: Odigie Harms, Hobba

Gone: Jois (College), Barker (College), Louis (Frankston)
Rumour:

FRANKSTON BLUES
Imports: Long
In: Orr, Louis, McInnes, Witherden, Chapman, Dennis, Riggs, Bice

Gone: Watson (Albury)
Rumour: Meier (import)

GEELONG SUPERCATS
Imports: Wilson, Mercer
In: Herbert, Loader, Medved, Owusu, Cannan, Friend

Gone: Rebula (Corio Bay), Barrett (ACL), Mecanovic (ACL)
Rumour:

HOBART CHARGERS
Imports: Williams Jnr, Gregg
In: George

Gone: Osborne (AFL), Misunda (Kilsyth)
Rumour: Dann, NBL Bench player

KILSYTH COBRAS
Imports: Kusnyer
In; Bridgewater, Misunda, Lang, McMillan, O'Hea

Gone: Blair, Malvic
Rumour:

KNOX RAIDERS
In:
Gone:
Rumour:

NUNAWADING SPECTRES
Imports;
In: McDonald, Cameron, Conn, Casperz, Czwarno

Gone: Hicks
Rumour:

NW TASMANIA THUNDER
Imports: Gaff, Payne,
In: Harris, Wright, Janev

Gone: Gary
Rumour:

SANDRINGHAM SABRES
Imports: Pichon, Cooperwood
In:

Gone: Mualbach,
Rumour: Hoare

MT GAMBIER PIONEERS
Imports:
In: Warbout, Daly, Burdon, Sutton

Gone: Jeffree (Retire), Smith (Ballarat)
Rumour: Russel (Retire)

Reply #393102 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

What minutes per game can an NBL player average before they become a resticted player for SEABL?

Reply #393121 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re:anon, about the restricted players.

I have seen people previously ask SEABL about their restriction rules and the answer from SEABL is to email them for a response, so not sure if it is officially published anywhere.

There was this somewhat cryptic article in the Bendigo Advertiser in late October regarding the problems the Braves & Lady Braves may have with restricted players in 2013 - hard to work out though if the restrictions apply to both the mens & womens leagues though:

here is the link to the full article, but here is parts about restricted status:

http://www.bendigoadvertiser.com.au/story/417218/restricted-players-a-concern-for-braves-and-lady-braves/

*Each SEABL team can only have a maximum of three A, B or C restricted players - and no more than two A or B restricted players.

An A restricted player is any non-Australian required to hold a Foreign Players Licence, while B restricted is any player who averages more than 20 minutes per game in the previous WNBL season before the January deadline.

The Spirit's Madeleine Garrick could be a C restricted player if she averages between 14 and 20 minutes for the WNBL club.

Meanwhile, Harvey has secured his two import positions for next season, but remains unsure about MVP Tom Garlepp’s availability.

Garlepp is averaging just under 20 minutes for the Sydney Kings in the NBL and Harvey is scouting possible replacements in case last season’s star recruit becomes a B restricted player.*

So I'm guessing that means both the mens & womens use A & B restrictions - A = import, B = more than 20 mins in NBL or WNBL; does anyone know if 'C' restriction also applies for the men or is that purely for the women?

Out of curiosity - what happens if a player misses a season of NBL or WNBL due to injury but their previous season saw them ave above 20mins a game, are they counted as restricted or non-restricted? And what if a player sits out of the NBL or WNBL season leading into the SEABL season?

Reply #394020 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

re:anon, about the restricted players.

Great post, thanks. Some comments:

- Averaging 20 minutes per game seems a lot of court time before a player picks up restricted status.

- I am fairly sure that if you do not play in the previous season then you become an unrestricted player.

- I wonder how they rate Aussies playing overseas in terms of restricted status.

Reply #394548 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Harvey has been scouting the Brisbane area and might have found a possible player.

Reply #394558 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Chargers will have an intersting line up.

Reply #394674 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Have you seen the 2013 SEABL Season Launch Video just released

http://www.youtube.com/seabl

IMO - Very poor quality production - second rate actually

Fails to promote SEABL as a high quality league with very few action clips & shots and the fast rate of changes between video clips & photos is almost nauseating!

Reply #397688 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Dont mind it actually, cant see the issue. Post links to other state league promo vids and sites, lets see what the measuring stick is.

Reply #397693 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

One the one hand VP, I agree the clip moves too fast between images, trying to get too many clips in for the time frame overall.

But, the idea is a good one, just the editing is a little bit second rate...

Once the slow motion clips come in, that part is pretty good, maybe should have given it to a pro??

Bring on the season though, looking forward to SEABL!

Reply #397706 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SEABL 2013 will be AWESOME!! I Love SEABL more than the NBL now, so many quality games to watch every weekend fri, sat and sunday and heaps of rivalry's.

Reply #397716 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

If they had of used more of their clips from "Plays of the Round" or "Dunks of the Year" - the better quality ones anyway it would have been an improvement.

Definitely needed to slow down the time for each clip so you could take it all in before the next one came up.

I've seen both the BIGV & VJBL do promotional videos which were better than this. Don't know if any other States ABA Leagues do anything like this.

Reply #397735 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The clip is a recycled one from the 30th celebrations I beleive and used t promote the upcoming 2013 season. It may not be the best, but it's out there. When was the last time the NBL recently produced a clip?

Reply #397761 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Just finished watching the NBL's latest clip - It goes off - and it well and truely has - it stinks.

Reply #397772 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Ex King PG Cooper to Knox

Reply #398767 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

tell me more about cooper?...who is he?

Reply #399635 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Larry Williams Jr out.

Brandon Polk back for Hobart!

Reply #399669 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart announces Dann signing (finally) & return of Armstrong

Reply #400579 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

How have Hobart signed an import guard, jordan gregg and Polk?

Reply #400586 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hobart released the import guard once Robbie Inches was back onboard. Gregg was already signed so they went back after Polk for the other import spot.
Will Deba be back?

Reply #400587 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Spartans have been quiet.
Any word out of Brisvegas, anyone?

Reply #400602 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Anyone know when or where the NBL restricted player list will come out?

Reply #402035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It must have come out already as Garlepp has just re-signed with Bendigo.

Reply #402067 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yes, it was out last week I think.

Reply #402071 | Report this post

Tiger Watcher  
Years ago

Anyone know if a copy of the list is public?

Reply #402072 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Martin Iti reported to have signed with Southern District Spartans along with a Waratah forward Rory Sutton who had previously trialed with Albury.

Reply #402650 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iti to Brissie? He should do well at this level if he can stay on the court long enough.

I'd heard another higher profile team was interested in him but the asking price was too high so I'm surprised to see him showing up in Brisbane.

Reply #402775 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Will be intrested to see the change at Frankston with Raunchy gone

Reply #402803 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Iti, George and Brebnar?
That's a big front line.

Reply #403062 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Or maybe not...

http://www.sportingpulse.com/get_file.cgi?id=2241695

Reply #403214 | Report this post

Bluey  
Years ago

Frankston loose Calvin Henry to Mildura in Big V big loss.

Reply #403223 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Bluey: Frankston didnt want Calvin so no big loss although a good pick up for Mildura. Cant help but wonder why no other SEABL team snapped him up though ??

Reply #403227 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:44 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754