Bond, James Bond
Years ago

Basketball Ethics

Interesting topics and incident to come out of the State Champs.

At the Sturt Vs Southern Under 18 Boys State Semi game I watched as a southern assistant proceded to leave his bench during a critical time out late in the game and go and listen in/watch the play drew out by the Sturt coach. This then caused the sturt coach to go off his nut at the coach involved.

Question is whether this appropriate for a coach to be doing this. I for one cant understand that any coach would do this.

Topic #3011 | Report this topic

Q  
Years ago

Very weak from the Southern coach. Kind of thing that you would expect from somebody with less experience in the game. I guess there is no price on respect anymore. I wonder how he will go when somebody does it back to him. Karma will be the true indicator of his ethics.

Right up there with calling a timeout with 10 seconds to go when you are winning by double figures.

Or having all of your players run around a team mate acting like Indians.

Wait, has that happened with the Southern U/18 Boys in the past???

Reply #34397 | Report this post

That is really bad.

Who won? Hopefully Sturt did

Reply #34398 | Report this post

Bond, James Bond  
Years ago

Southern won by two

Reply #34399 | Report this post

boost juice  
Years ago

that is just desperate - by all means scout a team

it is just too blatant for me

it's about personal morals

but in the end with state champs -

win or go home

Reply #34404 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Maybe the coach in question could clarify the situation for all of us...or even the head coach. It would be interesting to see if the Kim sent his assistant over or if the young buck showed some initiative and decided to tarnish his teams win all on his own.

Reply #34415 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

typical Southern tactics

Reply #34422 | Report this post

Liam Flynn  
Years ago

Ogre,

I dont think you can lump the whole club in on this one, because there are some great people at that club that work very hard to promote and develop our game.

And I want to be clear that my comments have nothing to do with Southern's GF win...as far as I know they won that fair and square over West.

However, I think its fair to say that people within the basketball community (particualrly Sturt) want some answers about how this kind of thing could be allowed to happen and who was responsable for it.

I would be interested on the referees take on this incedent as well eg What is there responsability during time outs, what are the ramifications if a coach goes into an oppositoin huddle etc

Cheers

Reply #34432 | Report this post

The truth  
Years ago

That is the stupidest thing ive heard in some time .. what did he just think the sturt coach would mistake him for anthor player???

Reply #34433 | Report this post

Wish I could Dunk  
Years ago

I guess these days any edge you can get might be worthwhile, not saying I agree with what happend....just seems pretty cut throat these days.

Not sure if the refs could be expected to know who is who in each teams huddle Liam? Guess all the coaches and assistants could wear name and team tags...nah

Maybe the Team Manager should patrol the team huddle.

Just tell the Sturt Coach to have two boards next game....the real play and a fake play

Reply #34438 | Report this post

Peter Maravich  
Years ago

i beleive refs are meant to stand centre line (centre circle, or at the bench), keeping an eye on things. Perhaps they could have asked the Asst coach to stay in his box. I know its not part of their usual duty, and it (hopefully) a one-off. Could mp or matt ryan clarify on this?

Reply #34442 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Are there not lines on the court near the score bench the limit the distance that a couch can move towards the other team (and the score bench)? I have seen coaches get tech fouls for intruding into this area in front of the score bench during time outs. Should this have been the case in this instance?

Reply #34446 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

i saw the game in question, but i didnt see the incident. Anyway i think the real reason southern won and the what people should be talking about, is that number 20 for southern. The undersized center who had the job on dodmann from sturt. He absolutly ripped him up, dodman got shut down from scoring and boards. And the workhorse number 20 was boarding and scoring at will.

who is this man?

Reply #34450 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The coach in question obviously does not know Paul Rigoni very well. Apart from being a great coach, he was about as tough as they come during his long stint as a player for Sturt, North and Woodville. Controlled aggression, but one guy you would think twice about upsetting. I have heard that when Paul confronted the coach in question after the game, that he clapped in Paul's face. Now that was a very risky move indeed!

Reply #34451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Come on Kym. This is one of a series of unsavoury incidents involving the NCT/Southern Under 18 Boys in the past few years (#34397).

Are you the Coaching Director? If you are, then stop trying to be everybody's buddy and show some real leadership and instil some discipline in your groups. These incidents just undermine the results that you achieve.

Reply #34453 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Not saying what he did was right, but just going on what is being said on the forum, sturt must have focused on said incident rather than getting on with the job.If the coach had that much experience he should have been able to pull himself and his team back to the job on hand.Unethical, probably,but its State champs after all.

Reply #34454 | Report this post

Ogre  
Years ago

A real good example to set to junior basketballers, cheat to win! The Assistant coach should be disciplined by the club and basa.

Reply #34458 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Hard to focus when there is an intruder in your huddle. This is something that you would never expect to happen, so when it does there is no way you could react calmly. What are you going to say:

"Excuse me sir, but it is unethical for you to be looking at the play I am currently drawing up. Could you go back to your own bench and after the game we'll discuss it calmly and rationally after the game over a nice Latte?"

Reply #34459 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

It is actually unethical to have anyone connected with your team sit behind an opposing team's bench at any time, even when scouting them. But to go into another team's huddle, wow that is off the charts!

Reply #34461 | Report this post

D-lin  
Years ago

Damn, it was Rigoni he did that too? Brave, very brave

Reply #34463 | Report this post

mp  
Years ago

Peter M.,

I did not see the game, so am only commenting on what the rule book says:

It says in the referees manual (2 person officating) that the referees are in designated positions on the court to be able to view the team in front of them.

This would lead you to believe that the refs should have seen the coach walking from one bench to the other.

Also in the official basketball rules on page 24, section 18.3.5 states that:

"During the time out (and during an interval of play before the beginning of the second, fourth or each extra period)the players may leave the court and sit on the team bench and the persons permitted to be in the bench area may enter the court provided that the team members remain within the vicinity of the team bench area."

So it appears what occured was outside of the rules, but the rule book does not desgnate a penalty for this. It looks like this is a question for SA's Rules Interpreter. It would be nice to know what to do should this ever occur while I was refereeing a game.

Reply #34484 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

the AIS baller dodman got carved up by that workhouse undersized centre from southen.great game big man.dodman your going no where unless you toughen up and dermand the ball.height insnt going to make you a good baller,your bball mind will.ok dodman is a good player in his age group.say if dodman played under 20's now he will be a nothing player.

Reply #34485 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

should be a tech foul. really low tactics i think. nothing short of a reprimand of the coach in question from the club president, and a public apology from both should get them out of this!

Reply #34487 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Has anyone other than Sturt verified this account of the incident?

Reply #34503 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

cheezeburger - this is a topic about coaches actions and improper behaviour.

Doddman would carve you, you can't scrap a contest above the rim.

18's is the pinacle of junior basketball, dont give me that 20's nonsense, not everyone takes 20's seriously, so its an unfair guage.

Reply #34504 | Report this post

since kim had about 5 assitant coaches in the finals i think it is a bit hard to keep an eye on all of them especially if you are talking to your team in a time out/ between quaters break and shouldn't be blamed.
i know in that game he had his div 2 coach, their sasi coach and others maybe touhy can explain it to us as i know he will read this then reply under an alias.
lets also not forget that ethics is not a common word used in the southern area,swat and house breaks are words used more often in that end of town.

Reply #34505 | Report this post

Pickles Housemate  
Years ago

1stly - I don't agree with what allegedly happened if it did happen.

2ndly - Dear Old School, keep your comments about the topic of discussion, not some weak attempt to slag off the southern suburbs.

Reply #34516 | Report this post

ITA  
Years ago

Thats disgraceful. An ethics section could be added to coaching courses, as most coaches at some point will have done a course. Just poor etiquette really.

Reply #34529 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

whats doddman got going hes tall thats about all.my main point was that the southern bloke he played on dominated on him even though doddman had 7 inches on him.

Reply #34533 | Report this post

Rory  
Years ago

I recon big Jords is a great player.. and a hell of a bloke! I've had the pleasure of playin ball wid the guy a few times.. he's the man!

Reply #34535 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

#20 from southern isnt undersized, wat he lacks in hight he makes up for in massiveness, hav u seen this guy up close..its silly

Reply #34537 | Report this post

cheezeburger  
Years ago

so who will you want on your team a undersized 6 ft beast who hustles n plays tough or a 6'8 giant who hovers around the paint but ends up at the 3 point line cause he cant hold his postion??????

Reply #34538 | Report this post

undersized pf  
Years ago

i hasent seen dodman play much but all i know is that guy we played against him carved him up. And they guy may be a beast he isnt all that tall. so yes he is undersized. and i agree that if dodman wants to go far with his bball (abl etc) then hell have to develop. Hes gotta become more of an aggressive player, use his size better and become smarter, (e.g moving off the ball, getting good seales in the post)

Reply #34549 | Report this post

Bond, James Bond  
Years ago

Once again please keep this on topic, I dont remember the title being Underseized big beats giant. When are we going to get a southern tigers official on here to explain their side of events.

Reply #34562 | Report this post

wish I could dunk  
Years ago

awwwww whats to explain???.....look all that happend was the southern assistant got up and bought a drink got his directions back confused and joined the sturt huddle by mistake

Reply #34657 | Report this post

Bond, James Bond  
Years ago

I can see how that might happen.

Nice call.

Reply #34658 | Report this post

Jenifer garner  
Years ago

I would have to salute the coach that coach what a star

Reply #34664 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

we if he got lost that puts another slant on the whole incident.
I believe it must be BASA's fault now because the lighting was so poor he couldnt find his way back from buying a drink.

Reply #34666 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

That southern player is known as "Rhino" I played against him last year, he is a top bloke. Very strong player.

Reply #34690 | Report this post

Bond, James Bond  
Years ago

Interesting that no Southern Tigers person wants to comment. I know there are southern fans out, find out what happened. Maybe its just they know they stuffed up and want this to all go away

Reply #34696 | Report this post

Richard  
Years ago

Rhino is quite a machine. Ive played against him many times and his strength exceeeds what the majority of big ABL players have. as for the coaches move, nooone should be getting stuck down in it, it happens every single game (perhaps not so blatantly) and we all know it, so just get over it. The better team won, end of story. and Old School, youre probly a skinhead with no teeth and a platted ratstail from Elizabeth, so just shut your mouth, go back to your 13 year old mother of 5 and learn some syllables

Reply #34698 | Report this post

Dr Dunkenstein  
Years ago

richard, you gotta be kidding, i really cant tell.

"it happens every single game (perhaps not so blatantly) and we all know it,"

i hope you are joking, i have never seen any action of such an unsportmanlike manner since a junior west player head butted an opposing player (who was carving him up) behind play.

Walking over to an opposing teams bench to see their play in the last few plays of the game is wrong. He should be reprimanded by Tigers and BASA. that sort of action is embarrasing for SA, what if he did something similar at the classics?

Reply #34701 | Report this post

Southern Person  
Years ago

I am not entirely sure what can be said. Except that it is extremely disappointing, if it is true. As Liam said don't dump the whole club in on this one, sounds like someone forgot their brain on sunday night.

Reply #34726 | Report this post

richard go down to hackham and see if u can spot any of my look a likes and ask them if they have filled out their dole form correctly

Reply #35861 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 4:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754