An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:54 pm, Thu 2 Oct 2014 | Posts: 516,863 | Last 7 days: 767

Dunk Basketball Uniforms  

Advertising spot currently available.
Minimum three month period (1.5+ million page views, 92% Australian).
Email isaac@triplezero.com.au for rates and options.

Jason
Two years ago

How the Cattalini Cup is awarded

So the 6ers beat Perth in 2 out of the 3 games they've played this season - losing only in overtime - and Perth get the Catallini Cup.

Sounds a bit backwards to me

Report this topic

Wildcat Fan
Two years ago
13:41 10 Dec 12

Reply #391470

re: Catallini Cup

The Sixers and Wildcats nominate 1 game (out of the 4 regular season games) to contest the Cattalini Cup. They nominated yesterdays game as the one to do it.

I agree though, it does seem a bit backward - but im not really a fan of meaningless in-season trophy games anyway. It over-glorifies it a bit, and does anyone really care??

Thats not a knock on Cattalini or Rogers though - Both are champion players for both clubs.

Report this post

Anonymous
Two years ago
13:51 10 Dec 12

Reply #391477

Why not have the cup go to the team that wins the season series against each other? Awarded at the last match up between the teams.

Report this post

Isaac
Two years ago
14:57 10 Dec 12

Reply #391499

Putting it on a single game avoids a situation where it's a draw. e.g., 2-2 and same points differential. Also means they can alternate presentations and know exactly when it's going to be awarded, so Cat can put on his best shorts and polo in advance.

Report this post

Gruff
Two years ago
22:01 10 Dec 12

Reply #391593

re: How the Cattalini Cup is awarded

lol

Report this post

EC
Two years ago
22:23 10 Dec 12

Reply #391601

I don't agree Isaac, a draw, i.e each team win 2 games each, can be decided by the tally of points. Its very unlikely that 4 games are going to result in 2 wins each and exactly the same points each. If it did happen, it could be decided on the highest number of rebounds, the least turnovers, the player who has the highest personal score etc. There are many ways to skin a cat. Its stupid that these 2 teams play each other 4 times and yet the cup is awarded based on 1 only game. I didn't stay back after the game yesterday so I missed it, but now I am glad I did miss it because it would have been annoying. Salt to the wound created by the loss.

Report this post

XY
Two years ago
23:15 10 Dec 12

Reply #391612

Do as they do in cricket - a series tie sees the cup retained with the last winning team.

Report this post

Jason
Two years ago
12:52 11 Dec 12

Reply #391691

I agree with XY

Report this post

Isaac
Two years ago
13:21 11 Dec 12

Reply #391703

How do you alternate presentations without making the schedule more difficult than the league obviously already finds it? This way they can also work it around Cat and Rogey. Less fuss, given there are other things the clubs can worry about more.

It's a cup named for a guy who played five years here, with an accompanying medal named for a guy who played two years in Adelaide. Until recently, the event didn't even exist. I'm surprised people care that much how it's awarded. It's just a little thing to create some media interest, maybe encourage people to attend.

Cat would've been in black tie otherwise...

Report this post

alexkrad
Two years ago
00:15 12 Dec 12

Reply #391813

I played against Cattalini tonight in a local B grade league.. He isnt as tall as I thought.

Report this post

Reply to this topic

Name Email

Random name suggestion for anonymous posters: Triton 37

Title
Rules: You must read the Terms of Use. No spam, no offensive material, no sniping at other clubs, no 'who cares?'-type comments, no naming or bashing under 18 players.
Please proof-read your post before submitting as you will not be able to edit it afterwards.

94Fifty

Recent Posts