Anonymous
Years ago

Heal: NBL should play on Christmas day

Shane Heal says the NBL should have two games on Christmas Day as no other sport is on then and it could be a niche for the league. What do we think about this?

http://www.theroar.com.au/2012/12/21/heal-the-nbl-should-play-on-christmas-day/

Topic #30291 | Report this topic

Mystro  
Years ago

be better than watching the crap movies they put on tv

Reply #393580 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Would be too risky at this stage, but in time with some solid amrketing of the league, could work in NZ or Perth without too much hassle.

Reply #393581 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

No...I have to work Christmas days and its a pain in the arse not being able to involve yourself in any family functions or when you do not being able to relax and have a drink. I am also paid at double time and a half...so the costs of running a game would be HUGE.
Also this is a big family day...New Years eve had small crowds as it was, Christmas day will have tiny crowds.

Reply #393584 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

^ They will just give then an extra day off. Most ppl are on salary that do work for then so thats not an issue. If they play, play a night game, so ppl can have lunchs with familys not start a gamd at 2pm or a 4pm game in perth! Think it would work better that the all star game has!

Reply #393591 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

would be tough on teams traveling - maybe a Woll/Syd game

would also be tough for people to get there from holidays

might be tough enticing people out of their ham/turkey coma to be awake!

Reply #393592 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

HELL YES! Plenty of people out there who cant stand Xmas.

A night game would work. See the folks in the morning game at night.

Reply #393597 | Report this post

Simo  
Years ago

^ SKUD, The NBL have had great crowds on the NYE games, a couple of years ago they had record crowd numbers for any round that year on the NYE weekend.

Xmas day (Night) games would need a lot of marketing but over the next few years they could get to be a good thing... I definitely would go if there was a game here @ Perth Arena & I know a lot of other people who would also go but as Perth is so far away it would be unlikely to host any xmas games.

Reply #393599 | Report this post

Years ago

play xmas day.... blow it out your arse.

no way

Reply #393612 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

could make it a christmas meal in the carpark similar to the bbq's before the footy if it was a 7L30 night game, free entry to the carpark if there 2 hours before the game. id take the family and eat left overs etc from lunch. its a great excuse to leave the relies house or get them all to come to the game.

Reply #393616 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

i think it is a good idea but as my comments above, i'm not sure if visiting players, staff of the home teams, etc would be too happy PLUS the venue would have to pay the security, bar staff, ticket staff etc double time - so wouldnt it cost the home team more to hire the venue??

Reply #393619 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Wait till libral party get in then they will cut the double time n a half and u got sign a contract 4 a job u will have no choice! Why ppl in retail and resturants and the cas hotel ppl wk on that day. Tell u the truth most ppl that wk at perth arena dont belive in xmas. Just from where they come from!

Reply #393625 | Report this post

SRT070  
Years ago

christmas eve yes, boxing day yes.....christmas day i dont think so. players have families too that they want to spend time with. then to have the stadiums open thats more people that would need to give up their christmas day to put on a game. personally not a fan of the idea, and can understand if alot of players feel the same.

Reply #393626 | Report this post

Boom  
Years ago

I think Heal's point wasn't big crowds but BIG TV AUDIENCE.

I agree it wouldn't be great for those who (volunteer) to put it on!

But perhaps using a smaller regional arena (as crowd would be low, but passionate).

In turn reducing staff and set up time would give it a great TV feel. Perhaps a post game function for everyone to compensate being away!

The idea of a double (Melbourne v Sydney; Perth v Adelaide) would garner plenty of interest on a sport starved day!!

This is the thinking we need to promote a game that is dying for a greater audience!!

Reply #393627 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

the problem with big TV audience is that the teams dont get a single cent from it!!!

Reply #393629 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Just trying to think o/s the box. Take the punt that: Smaller venue, less staff, less overhead + in return for playing perhaps clubs get some incentive $ from the NBL.

As it proves popular pay days come as networks, sponsors etc get on board.

Building wider community appeal - imagine in 2022 the 10th annual Sixers v Wildcats Xmas Day Battle drawing a max crowd PLUS a HUGE tv audience.

There is potential to be huge cause it monopolizes the day. NBL abandoned winter to escape football grip. Now it's time to make a stand!

I've said many times this is great product but someone has to put it on show outside the basketball fraternity.

This is a great window but keeping the curtains drawn never let's the sunshine in!

Reply #393632 | Report this post

gekko  
Years ago

i think it would be a good idea the nba play on christmas day to sell out crowds lets face it in most places christmas day is hot so to spend a few hours in air con watching sport drinking after a big feed would be hugely popular i think

Reply #393634 | Report this post

Years ago

some marketing concepts are only worth a year or two before the shine wears off and numbers drop - but playing xmas day would not be anything ground breaking and piss the players etc off when they should be having family and friends time.

cant compare it to nye games etc

Reply #393636 | Report this post

XY  
Years ago

Stupid idea. You already have a struggling sport, with limited interest, few teams and small crowds - to even think of suggesting putting a game on what is, for most people, the busiest day of the year, is insane. Are we deliberately trying to put barriers in the way of people attending/being interested?

There are damn good reasons why none of the rich mainstream sports would play on Christmas Day. It would be ratings/attendance suicide. For a small sport? Might as well play at 3:30am Wednesday mornings in the hope you get lots of viewers watching during prime time in Europe.

Reply #393637 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Makes much more sense for all those teams - containing all those old geriatric player, who loath celebrating NYE - to be travelling for NYE games.

"Struggling...small" with low attendance. Hello!!!

You have a captive audience. It would be a tough choice between Uncle Russell's stories about his dog's gammy leg, Bing Crosby Xmas special or flicking on some hoops!

With this sort of mentality it's a wonder teams aren't riding horses to games.

Reply #393655 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SMA = on the money.

A Xmas Day game would be our first 100,000 TV audience since the 90s. Imagine the kids sitting around the TV watching the game for the first time

I think it's marketing gold.

This Tueday tell me what your family is watching on tv. Now imagine all them eyes on an NBL game instead.

Reply #393665 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Couldn't attend on xmas day and don't watch TV on the day either, personally.

Reply #393718 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Personally if there was a game of NBL on TV Xmas night or day (later in arvo maybe), I would love to watch it. Attending however would not be as easy, but I have no problems with this concept...

Boxing Day is obviously competing with cricket, but at night also no issue, would be great IMO.

Reply #432813 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 7:38 am, Sat 27 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754