Baller
Years ago

Can you play college (NCAA) after playing SEABL?

I was wondering if you can of not? Was looking to get a run in SEABL this year but won't if it means that I will be inelegable for college! (If I get the option to go over there). Can someone please help me answer this question!

Topic #30312 | Report this topic

Flyer  
Years ago

Depends on what year school/study you are doing and what level you want to play

Reply #394023 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Think it has something to do with getting paid. If you get paid in the SEABL then it makes it difficult, but a few have played SEABL and gone to college afterwards.

I believe they changed the rules a few years ago but forget what the changes were.

Alex Duck for example played SEABL for a few years and then went to Murray State.

Reply #394024 | Report this post

Flyer  
Years ago

To play NCAA div 1 you cannot get any form of payment.

Reply #394025 | Report this post

RAV  
Years ago

Tai Webster plays for the NZ Breakers & he is going to college next year.

As long as you don't get a financial benefit from the club, such as flights, wages, etc, then you should be safe to play.

I'm not 100% confident, but I think that's reason why Tai plays the home games, because I didn't see his name listed against sydney 2 weeks ago.

Reply #394028 | Report this post

MACDUB  
Years ago

Strictly speaking, as long as you don't get paid.

If you don't get paid, you will be fully eligible and colleges will be keen.

You are now, allowed to get some payment as long as it is "essential living costs"...This was the issue of the Enes Kanter case.

But don't even accept "essential living cost" payments because it will just turn colleges away as they don't want to deal with eligibility issues (UK only did it with Kanter because he was such a huge recruit)

Reply #394030 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

The NCAA has a habit of changing rules now and then, catching people out occasionally.

Anyone who accepts any payments whatsoever could live to regret it over a four year college scholarship.

May not be year one or two but later on, so I for one will be making sure to check with the authorities every year and not take the risk.

Go and play SEABL but do it for the experience and exposure, avoid payments at all costs (pardon the pun), then go to college a little older and wiser...

Reply #394031 | Report this post

Years ago

Would not rely on answers here - I would be checking with your future college or aid they would be right up to date

Reply #394033 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

Hugh Greenwood played with the Hobart Chargers before his New Mexico stint began. Was also a chance to suit up when he returned during mid-year break.

His sister played all last year with the Lady Chargers and she's off to NM next year.

Reply #394034 | Report this post

Years ago

Sorry ais - previous typo

Reply #394035 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

check it out properly because I know its ok if you go to college year after you finish High School but know kids that finished school and then 2 years later played QBL ( only a couple of games ) and got to college only to be told the rules have changed you must red shirt 1 year

Reply #394038 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tai Webster is an uncontracted development player. As development players are not payed nor travel he is fine as was Isaac Fotu. Steven Adams played NZBL as an unpaid rookie and is still eligible. Pretty sure if you google NCAA participation rules the magical interweb will answer your question.

Reply #394040 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

a relevant article by Nigel Purchase on this link :

http://gaze.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1325:nbl-rookie-innovation&catid=50:nigels-take

or just go to gaze.com

Reply #394041 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can play SEABL if it is in the season when you just finished High School.You must enroll at a Div 1 school the following enrollment period or you will be red shirted 1 year.DO NOT accept any financial aid.
The most difficult thing is to get this guaranteed.The NCAA clearing House has no idea what SEABL is and SEABL have no idea about the college rules.Be very careful where you get your advice as the rules change all the time.
Also Div 1 has different rules to Div 2 and Junior 2 year schools are different again.
So all the advice in previous posts is on the mark
Biggest hurdle I see is making sure your enrollment isn't delayed. Techniclly any game that charges admission is considered professional by the NCAA,But in Australia as we charge admission for all junior games a waiver was given on this rule.Just an example of the murky waters..Good Luck.My only experience is my child just went through it and is over there now so i have some sympathy on how dangerous the minefield is

Reply #394047 | Report this post

PlaymakerMo  
Years ago

Most of these comments are correct in the general sense, regarding payment, but you should definitely be contacting your club, a state basketball official or inquire with the college(s) you would likely be applying to. Maybe even try contacting the NCAA or Basketball Australia?

Reply #394048 | Report this post

Chewy316  
Years ago

100% agree with Mo. You shouldn't be asking this kind of question on a forum. If you are truly serious about going to college, you need to go through the official channels and get something done in writing. Make sure you're the one getting the info and not someone else too, because in some cases it may appear as though you have someone representing you (ie an agent) and thus you lose eligibility.

Reply #394050 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Mystro, has Webster played for them at all? At some point I think it was the case that if you stepped onto the court for playing time, you were due a minimum match payment ($700 or whatever it was at the time).

Reply #394053 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Maybe some college eligibility links directly from the Basketball Australia web site may be in order, by the sounds of it there is no direct pathway identified for people to get simple and current answers...

Always a good idea to seek someone who has just been through the process and have a good old chat to them, face to face!

Reply #394062 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yup Tai has played garbage minutes a few times this season, in his first game he fluffed a dunk in the open court and has even managed to get some minutes with Corey. Isaac Fotu also played a few mins last season as a development player before heading to the UH Warriors.

Reply #394063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

All answers are around the mark, but remember be very carefull. It has been the case when the college have got it wrong. A player was cleared ready to play only to find that the NCAA imposed one year red shirt for breach of rules....CHECK with Basketball Australia and get in in writing, check with NCAA and get it in writing, or just dont play, and head to college asap...Good Luck it is worth it..

Reply #394064 | Report this post

nath  
Years ago

AIS players go from SEABL to NCAA every year e.g. Daniel Kickett, wins SEABL All Star 5, then heads to St.Marys, same with Patty Mills

Reply #394069 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah but both of those guys played for AIS. Almost considered a high school in many regards.

Reply #394070 | Report this post

anonm  
Years ago

Another question.. can you go to NCAA div 1 if you're 2 years out of year 12 or do you have to go to a community college?????

Reply #394089 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

ask the school that is recruiting you, they normally have good support staff

Reply #394093 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can go Div 1 if 2 years out,but you will be red shirted for the first year

Reply #394097 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You can also go to an NAIA college div 1 or 2 but they will red shirt you the 1st year as well especially if you have had 1 season or more away from school and played in QBL Waratah SEABL BIG V or any league that has pro or semi pro even if you received no payments I know because helped get a kid into college (NAIA)and 7 weeks before he was due to fly out they rang to say sorry rules just changed you must red shirt 1st year and loose a year eligibility because he finished school 2 years prior and had played 11 games in QBL

Reply #394102 | Report this post

Very Old  
Years ago

AIS is/was essentially classified as a residential High School by the NCAA clearing house.

NCAA rules do change on a fairly regular basis.

Within the last 15 years there were enforced NCAA rules thriough which people who played on OZ teams which paid other players ( but not them) to play in the same team were rulled ineligible. Eg SA top open competitions, VBA , SEABL etc. Also in some of those years people who simply played in a league where other teams played some players were ruled ineligible.

CJ Bruton was a good exmple.

Reply #394131 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I believe AIS was classified as a high school as the students who played there all went to Lake Ginnendara (sp) high school

Reply #394146 | Report this post

ankles  
Years ago

My daughter is now playing Div 1 in the US as a fresh(wo)man and in the past two years has played SEABL and QBL over the past two years.

Salient points:
- Redshirting is different to losing eligibility. Redhsirting means you can't play but can practice and study but don't lose any eligibility. Most players get four years of eligibility.
- You can now play at any level as long as you don't accept payment or rewards in excess of the costs of participating - ie, you can fly, travel, stay in hotels, have meals provided but not beyond what they deem to be real costs. This has been introduced to allow the foreigners (like our kids) to play at a level where people are paid without affecting their eligibility.
- the trade-off is you must enrol at your first opportunity or not play (I call it the Andrew Gaze rule) which is meant to combat the foreigners who could notionally play unpaid for five years in an elite competition and then head to the US with full eligibility intact. This means if you finished school in 2012, you must enrol in August 2013 or stop playing organised basketball in November 2013 in order to maintain eligibility.
- academic eligibility is another question altogether as you really need to put this plan in place prior to starting Year 9 (you need four years across basic areas and some other stuff) and took me an eternity to get sorted even though we were wielding an SAT in the 1300s (required a 780 to be eligible for her school).

Its pretty straightforward and there are a number of credible providers who can provide guidance on the issue for you. Start with the NCAA Clearinghouse and don't necessarily trust the school which is recruting you - they have as much trouble keeping track of the rules as we do.

Hope that helps.

Reply #394169 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well said ankles..similar position to you and schools get it wrong as much as we do.To the person who asked question please remember you can not declare ANY income through basketball...eg: clinic/coaching payments.
Academic requirements and working out your GPA is good fun to.. lol. Just heard of new rule introduced to...you now cannot miss or repeat any level of school from Year 6 on wards. So some kids who may repeat Year 6 due to travel with family or illness or deemed very young for that level and repeat are now ineligible for DIV 1
Don't get me wrong DIV 1 may not be for everyone either.If you are even at this level you maybe used to huge game minutes and then go Div ! and as a freshman become a bench warmer due to the wait your time rule used by some coach's ,it can be a very lonely existence.
some things you may want to consider if you are fortunate to get several offers: climate(do you like the snow),culture of team( ready to be the token white boy ) or battle with redneck all white racism.How high is team ranked?...higher you go the more assured you would want to be about your ability to force your way in.Are you willing to give up court time for ranking or go lower and have more influence in game. Travel and study can be hard to manage as well....the more isolated the college the more travel time required eating into study time Alaska/Hawaii
One thing brought to our attention at last minute was the style of play.Different conferences play completely different styles..eg: New York vs Nth Carolina is chalk and cheese
Good luck

Reply #394178 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Some real food for thought in last few posts. It is not an easy process and yes, the rewards can be quite high, however if you are not quite sure about the University you may be keen on then look further as there are many more out there.

Lots of basketballers start in a Div 2 College and if they can show some good form they can move to a Div 1.

Many options out there, so there is no need to rush your decision, however get in early and do your homework because without due dilligence you can trip over the many obstacles along the way...

Reply #394200 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Tom Abercrombie was ready to throw the towel in after his US College experience.

Reply #394230 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The last 4 comments are pretty spot on and true to life I know from experiance

Reply #394239 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You should also know that there are huge differences in conferences i.e some Div 2 NAIA teams would beat some of the weaker NCAA teams in Div 1 and some of the weak NCAA Div 2 teams would be lucky to win a game in say the NAIA Cascade Conference

Reply #394242 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

American college acedemic system also recognises relegion before sports science or business studies, kind of shows you where they are at, doesn't it?

Reply #394275 | Report this post

AnonymousToo  
Years ago

My son played SEABL Championship for two years straight out of U18's. He was recruited because of his SEABL experience as he didn't have a National profile prior to playing SEABL. Chances are he wouldn't have been given a Division 1 offer and was signed early. He signed November in his Year 12 year.
Tips:
Play because you love it.
Don't get any pay for playing (SEABL will pay for uniforms, flights, hotels meals etc).
Sit your SAT early.
Enrol in the Clearing House asap.
Good luck!

Reply #394543 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

AnonymousToo, when you say enrol at the clearance house asap, would starting year 11 be too early?

Reply #395702 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 9:15 pm, Fri 26 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754