Anonymous
Years ago

Big Bash Vs NBL

Big Bash has come from nothing to being HUGE. 46,000 were at last night's big bash. Can't escape the promos and advertising on tv, newspapers, internet, social media etc. Whoever is running the ship of the Big Bash needs to be signed up for the NBL.

I know that cricket has always been a popular sport but a year or so a go the Big Bash league started off very quiet and a bit of a joke in the cricket world.

Topic #30443 | Report this topic

Speed44  
Years ago

"Whoever is running the ship of the Big Bash needs to be signed up for the NBL." - Only if they bring Cricket Australia's budget with them.

Reply #396846 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Well the budget/fans has definitely grown because the big bash of last year had nowhere near the hype that this year has.

Reply #396847 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Attendances and ratings are actually down this year.

Running the Big Bash costs Cricket Australia over $3 million.

Give it another two-three years and the fad will be over.

Reply #396849 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Actually, the BBL started well in its first season, and actually exceeded expectations for crowds and tv audiences that it set itself.

I give it a life of 4-7 years btw in this format although I have seen the emergence of some tribalism this year.

I saw figures that said combined losses last season were $8m - with similar expectations this year. Both the Renegades and Thunder are supposedly struggling financially. A number of teams (Hobart is one) do not have a major sponsor. I would think a BBL franchise is much cheaper to operate than an A-league franchise

Certainly it has made more noise this year. You might recall however that CA has been heavily criticized by its states and others for not investing in promotion of its test series, and its focus on Big Bash.

Reply #396850 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Thats surprising to me - thanks for the info. Must be losing money on all the advertising!

Reply #396855 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

It's cost v return. They pay for big name stars and play in expensive stadiums so you need very big sponsorship and crowd returns to cover it. Same with the A-League.

The NBL has taken a different approach, minimise losses and grow slowly. Which one is best only time will tell, but it could also be a case of horses for courses because basketball doesnt have the backers willing to take the risk on the other approach at the moment.

Reply #396858 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Paul is correct. Break even for many teams in their venues would be high. AFL teams that play at Etihad have break even crowd numbers of over 20,000 people and the BBL would be similar in some locations.

Reply #396861 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

And, as much as I hate league average crowds as any really useful sort of measure, Aus Stadiums has average crowds for BBL at about 13800 - very similar to A-league this summer.

Reply #396862 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

You cant compare the two as one offers a game that while considered short by cricket standards offer hours of playing spectacle and entertainment adding up to a decent night out where basketball offers mini league game time and a 'where to we go to now' entree to an evening.

Reply #396865 | Report this post

Speed44  
Years ago

20/20 is too long for me, I say bring on 5/5 ;)

Reply #396890 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

CRICKET Australia chief executive James Sutherland claims it is a "silly argument" to suggest the Big Bash is draining the game despite losing $10 million a year.

Sutherland told News Ltd that the Big Bash would make a significant profit when it is sold as part of a new television rights deal at the end of this season.

"We're not concerned about the numbers," Sutherland said. “We’re confident with the numbers we’ll take to the market if we don’t do a deal with Channel Nine before then.”

He refused to discuss figures but analysts believe the Big Bash is worth $10s of millions as part of an expected $500 million, five-year deal.

This is despite crowds and ratings being significantly down for the second year of the revamped eight-team Big Bash.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/cricket/james-sutherland-says-the-big-bash-league-is-not-draining-cricket-australia-of-funds/story-e6frepmo-1226545376783

Reply #396906 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

Only one team in the Big Bash made money last year and most teams this year are expected to lose $500,000.

Reply #396910 | Report this post

Jake  
Years ago

The Big Bash and international 20/20 will end the 50 over game eventually.

Reply #396918 | Report this post

Hawkeye  
Years ago

BB will soak up any potential new ponsors the NBL could have.

Reply #397288 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

No Contest - the BBL has already drowned out the NBL in terms of media coverage and spectators and promotion and entertainment and sponsorship.

The BBL Season is short and games are on just about every night somewhere around the country and televised on foxtel. Games are even replayed throughout the day on the Foxtel cricket channel.

The BBL games are exciting & unpredictable & entertaining.

Theres no guarantee the NBL will still be here in 3-4 years but CA has the financial backing to keep the BBL going for at least 5-10 years.

Reply #397873 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Good god, who cares about a bunch of has beens and players just looking for the dollar, trying to hit a ball out of a stadium for a couple of hours?

I don't even know who or what these BB teams represent, so for me if the NBL is going to regain some ground it needs to do something the BB can't...

Keep working towards connecting with the ground roots supporter, the family and the kids!

Yes, cricket gets more than their fair share of promotion, while basketball seems to be less media friendly, for whatever reason, but I agree that basketball will still be there in years to come, not sure about the bash......??

Reply #397923 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 1:02 am, Fri 29 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754