NBL kings
Years ago

A simple way to get NBL bigger

honestly, if NBL just did this, the ratings on the t.v games would skyrocket, because there just isnt enough ads.
all the NBL needs to help boost fans watching the games is simple.

One Awesome, adrenaline pumping, motavation T.V Commercial.
seriously, i mean a 30 second ad shown a couple times a day on One and Ten.

*players walking onto court, slow motion with music staring up.
* shot of huge mexican wave at perth game.
* ben madgens 3/4 court shot, and then the music drops.
and then just the best dunks from the season, awesome shots, and just make the ad get everyones attention.

And then a title comes up that says
'NBL, FRIDAY NIGHTS 9:30
AND SUNDAY 2:00PM"

Its sounds stupid and childish, but think about it, if they got a good editor, awesome higlights and made it well, it would be huge.

it would be alot better than the little, or no ads currently on t.v

Topic #30506 | Report this topic

H  
Years ago

Lol. I admire your innocence. While obviously good adds do make a difference, it will take more then that to make the game huge.

Reply #398438 | Report this post

NBL kings  
Years ago

madgen shot:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L4M-i90LDLM

Reply #398439 | Report this post

NBL kings  
Years ago

I dont mean it would magically, make the league big, i simply mean it would accually get peoples attention, and show them that the games are on t.v
the way the people at nbl do marketing could be improved.

Reply #398442 | Report this post

natwhereyouat  
Years ago

On a totally un-related note.. I forgot how bare the Kings jersey was a few years ago. They've managed to get a heap of sponsorship since they've re-entered the league.

Credit where credit is due!

Reply #398443 | Report this post

Smith  
Years ago

Lol clueless OP
this one shits on madgen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y8q_SgCEiyc
if only he got the +1

Reply #398446 | Report this post

Tyrell  
Years ago

Totally agree with your idea, why bother having the league on fta tv and the only one's that know about it are the diehard followers, perhaps the NBL marketing department is made up of non-paid positions thus they only do the bare minimum!

Reply #398451 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

LMAO @ NG.

Reply #398455 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

How about instead of just showing shots of the Melbourne Tigers and Sydney Kings like they always do, they gather the ACTUAL most exciting highlight plays from the past season for their ads?

Reply #398458 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This is a good idea, but it's pointless if the actual TV product Ten produces remains crap. They need to sell the overall product not just have each game like a cheaply done standalone product. A few simple things like:

- highlights in the pre-game not just talking
- show highlights from other games at half time, not just the presenters faces as per pre-game
- replay good plays a number of times during the game, dont just replay fouls

This last point is the most pertinent to changing the rep of the NBL with casuals. So many plays, ranging from 'nice' to 'wow' happen and are never replayed again or receive a 0.5 second replay at half time when people are doing something else and that's it.

Between the NBL and Ten (and Fox before them) they do a great job of neglecting the best bits of the league.

Reply #398464 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Paul is right on the money.

I have heard the comment "you need a basketball mind to be organising the replays", but it doesn't take a hoops connoisseur to know which plays make you go "wow" and which plays make you go "okay that ref blew a whistle".

There are so many great plays that you just never see ever again, not only during the live telecast, but EVER again, in highlights packages and recaps etc.

Reply #398469 | Report this post

anon  
Years ago

Couldn't agree more, marketing of the game is the most important issue with its oveall development.
Lots of great stuff, people need to see it. Not just NBL's responsibility, clubs need to market their team and their players. Perth do and look how they are doing. The rest of the league and the NBL need to take notice, AND DO SOMETHING.

Reply #398472 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

"innocence" - lovely word for it, well put H.

Reply #398490 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

anon:

"Not just NBL's responsibility, clubs need to market their team and their players. Perth do and look how they are doing. The rest of the league and the NBL need to take notice, AND DO SOMETHING."

WTF!!!

An intelligent guess from you on the cost of getting the word out to the uninitiated would be nice (entertaining).

Reply #398491 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

There are many online platforms that other businesses succesfully use to "get the word out" that are entirely free to use.

The only resource required is time and commitment to quality content.

Reply #398527 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Its marketing 101. its the first thing the league should be doing

Reply #398537 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Sadly they dont even take advantage of offers to do it for free.

Reply #398538 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Advertise a highlights video on YouTube. Advertising on YouTube isn't very expensive.

Reply #398546 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Fackbook, Twitter, youtube, all very wide reaching, cheap and effective marketing tools. You just need someone dedicated to keeping them active and interesting.

Reply #398547 | Report this post

NBL kings  
Years ago

instead of just uploading "it goes off" to their youtube channel, they should upload a play of the day or something

Reply #398551 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Agree with you there NBL Kings.

If all they are going to do is upload "It Goes Off" then they should just switch it off because its just plain amateurish and I can't understand why people at NBL think this podcast actually creates any real interest.

I personally don't think there is any simple answer to make the NBL bigger.

Almost needs a shutdown like the A-League and a complete rebuild but I can't see that happening either.

There's a lot of things not right with the NBL at the moment but just using Facebook & Twitter & Youtube will not fix these problems.

The lack of Corporate support has more than anything to do with what we are seeing - trying to run the NBL on a shoe-string budget is just not working.

Reply #398556 | Report this post

Flinders80  
Years ago

Most organisations approach social media in the same way that a motorist might approach the sea when they encounter it for the first time. Their first instinct is to work out how to make their car drive across the water. And when someone shows them a boat, their reaction will be "where's the wheels on that then?"

Most attempts at social media currently are floating cars - i.e. traditional campaigns and approaches with crude adjustments to try and make them float.

Reply #398560 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

we have it sweet over here in NZ.
live games, 30min highlight packages, delayed games (36ers Vs Kings tonight), replays of the games, replays of the highlights, Adverts for Breakers games on Sky.

Reply #398565 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:28 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754