Isaac
Years ago

Daniel Johnson named Round 14 NBL POTW

Johnson was back to his best in the 36ers drought-breaking 82-64 win over the Sydney Kings at the Adelaide Arena on Sunday, dropping a season-high 24 points and grabbing seven rebounds in the victory.

This is the second time in NBL season 2012/13 the 212cm centre has been named Player of the Week, taking home the award in Round 7 courtesy of a 21-point, 15-rebound effort in the win over Perth, coincidently the 36ers last win prior to defeating Sydney.

There were a host of stars in the mix for the NBL Player of the Week, with Round 13 winner Gary Ervin putting up 29 points on 11-of-18 shooting as Townsville fell just short to New Zealand 82-78 on Friday night.

Crocs' teammate Luke Nevill continued his impressive start to life in North Queensland, with 20 points on 10-of-14 shooting in the narrow defeat.

Aaron Grabau was white-hot for the Cairns Taipans in their 94-81 win over Wollongong, finishing with 22 points on the back of 5-of-6 shooting from three-point land and a perfect 7-of-7 from the free throw line.

Perth’s Shawn Redhage, New Zealand’s Tom Abercrombie, Cairns’ Shane Edwards and Melbourne’s Jonny Flynn were also contenders
Could've given it to Glen Saville of the Cairns Taipans? JK Sav.

Topic #30528 | Report this topic

phil  
Years ago

i saw grabaus performance. how was it not given to him? anyway good to see dj back in some form hope it continues

Reply #398839 | Report this post

H  
Years ago

Daniel Johnsons stats that night were very good but he still does enough to annoy me. IE, forcing himself into contact rather then taking the easy dunk option. has all the potential in the world but still needs to improve the same things we were talking about last year

Reply #398852 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

Johnson or Grabau for me so not a bad choice imo

Reply #398854 | Report this post

igotmadskills  
Years ago

what about lucas Walker.......

Reply #398859 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

Once again highlights it comes down to who wins when Schensh had more points, double the rebounds and got a runner up just a few weeks ago to someone who had less stats.

Reply #398872 | Report this post

Abercrombie should've gotten it...

Reply #398879 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skud, it's been like that for years and shouldn't winning be a serious factor? NBA seem to do the same. POTW winners tend to come from successful teams.

Reply #398882 | Report this post

skud  
Years ago

I don't think winning should be a factor. Its player of the week, not Winning Player of the week.

I think it loses any credibility it had when players who's stats and overall efforts are less than others, but win the award.
DJ's stats are good but I guarantee he didn't do the things in the game that make the players around him better and he was plain lazy during parts of the game.

Consider 7 rebounds for a 7ft player against a team without a genuine centre...really is that all. Holmes pulls in that most games.

Reply #398887 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Holmes averages eight, so pulling in 7 would be under-achieving somewhat.

I would have given it to Gary Ervin or Aaron Grabau.

Grabau probably more deserving because he got the W and rattled off an amazing clutch performance, while Ervin had an amazing game (perhaps his best for the season) but the rest of his team choked it up for him.

Reply #398895 | Report this post

Mick, the clutch performer of the week is definitely Abercrombie...

Reply #398910 | Report this post

Mystro  
Years ago

yes but it isn't who played best in the final quarter it's who played best. Abercrombie couldn't hit squat for all but 2mins of the game so while his performance was great it wasn't the best.

Reply #398918 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

skud, you would've loved the Wethers MVP year then!

It's not as though the award title must encompass everything about it. It favours players on winning teams. That's just how it is.

Otherwise it would be "Best Statistical Performance of the Week" and could be awarded purely by a robot counting and balancing stats.

Reply #398930 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

Exactly Mystro, but even forgetting that line of thinking, Grabau did more than Abercrombie in the clutch anyway.

Reply #398936 | Report this post

Marcus Camby  
Years ago

DJ deserved it...

You guys watch...DJ will be a beast for the rest of the season.

Reply #398959 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Grabau.

When was the last time he had a 20 point game?

Reply #399011 | Report this post

POP  
Years ago

A beast for the rest of the season?

That would involve going to the basket when a shot goes up rather than retreating out over the three point line, wouldn't it?

I actually watched him last weekend. He seldom makes any effort to move towards the board when a team-mate takes a shot. Doesn't even follow his own shot most times. I'm not talking about being held or boxed out, his movement when a shot goes up is almost always away from the basket. It's obviously his instinct to move away from the basket.

I can't believe that is in response to 'team rules' [I don't think he is that disciplined anyway] and if it is I would respectfully but very strongly suggest they should be changed immediately to make his getting to the boards on every possible opportunity a top priority.

Reply #399016 | Report this post

HoldenV8  
Years ago

Adelaide won their game against Sydney by 18 points. DJ was our top scorer with 24, and our equal top rebounder with 7. His efforts, especially after Big Red thought he was The Undertaker and did a suicide dive over the top of Darnell Lazare, went a long way to seeing the 36ers snap their losing streak.

Well deserved IMO.

Reply #399072 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 5:10 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754