NBL KINGS
Years ago

Most popular sport leagues in each state? ( AUS )

so i was just wondering what the top 5 sport league's ( in order) are biggest in the state you live in.
im in N.S.W and i think that here, they would be:
(exlcluding cricket, Non- team sports, and international teams )

1. NRL
2. A-league
3. AFL
4. NBL
5. ( not sure )

Topic #30536 | Report this topic

H  
Years ago

NBL may be in the top 2 in Perth

Reply #398980 | Report this post

Mick  
Years ago

You forgot union.

Reply #398985 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

In WA, my order would be:

1. AFL

Then daylight....

2. Super Rugby
3. BBL
4. NBL
5. A-League (Glory and Wildcats are pretty much on an equal footing here, but the Wildcats crowds are bigger than the Glory's so I have NBL at 4)

More daylight...

6. NRL
7. ABL (baseball - gets no mention, and nor should it)

***Events like tennis, horse racing, cricket, motor sport all come after AFL and before anything else.***

Reply #399003 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

QLD
1. NRL
2. Super 15
3. AFL
4. A-league
5. Not sure but it could be NBL.

Reply #399004 | Report this post

NBL Fan  
Years ago

QLD number 5 would be BBL.

Reply #399005 | Report this post

Naph  
Years ago

Perth

Average Crowds - Team - (# of games, total crowd)
37,646 West Coast Eagles (AFL) (11 414,109)
33,377 Fremantle (AFL) (11 367,248)
15,000? Scorchers (T20) (5 ~75,000)
13,255 Western Force (Rugby) (8 106,041)
11,479 Wildcats (Basketball) (5* 57,395)
_8,309 Glory (Soccer) (13 108,011)

Can't find Western Warriors numbers for Sheffield Shield or ODI's but I'd think they'd be bottom of the list. I'd be surprised if they were getting more than 2-3k at a Perth Heat baseball game and its probably more like 1-1.5k.

Reply #399014 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

SA

1) AFL
2) A - LEAGUE (Strong greek/italian following)
3) Big Bash/Ryobi cup
4) NBL
5) NRL (Is slowly getting a follwing)

Reply #399037 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Vic:

AFL
BBL
A-League
NRL
NBL

Reply #399040 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

What are SANFL crowds like? Newspaper coverage is strong.

Reply #399055 | Report this post

FM  
Years ago

NT

AFL
Rugby League
Rugby union
Hockey
Football

Reply #399058 | Report this post

NBL KINGS  
Years ago

i was suprised to see nbl infront of NRL in SA, here in n.sw NRL is easily the biggest

Reply #399062 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

No rugby teams in SA might have something to do with that...

Reply #399065 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

No rugby teams in SA might have something to do with that...

Reply #399066 | Report this post

Melbourne Boy  
Years ago

Victoria's top 10...

1. AFL
2. AFL
3. AFL
4. VFL
5. NRL
6. V8 Cars
7. BBL
8. A-League
9. NBA
10. NBL

And what a disgrace basketball Australia are with the participation at grass roots basketball so high and yet our national league struggles so much.

I know its local leagues but I put NBA ahead of NBL only to point out if you asked a common sports fan in the street he'd reel of at least a handful of NBA players and would only know Andrew Gaze from the NBL.

Reply #399067 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

At a recent clinic with young junior basketballers the only basketball player they knew was Michael Jordan, nobody else!! Amazing. When I was a kid all of us who played bball knew heaps of NBA and NBL guys but these kids didnt even know LeBron!

With some of the older kids there were a couple of NBA singlets and a Goulding singlet so awareness a bit higher there, but the young kids really shocked me, Jordan has been retired a long time.

Reply #399069 | Report this post

Jack Toft  
Years ago

Isaac, I reckon SANFL averages 2,500/game or 10,000/round (4 games/round)

Reply #399070 | Report this post

sitiveni  
Years ago

Being from QLD, i would say

1. NRL
2. V8 Supercars
3. Rugby Union
4. AFL
5. BBL
6. A-League
7. NBL

V8's have 3 rounds in QLD, willowbank, Townsville and Gold coast, ave crowds per day at each event is about 30-50k, i think 5 teams are from here (888, SBR, DJR, PMM and Tekno) and QLD'ers are natural rev heads

Reply #399073 | Report this post

Ando  
Years ago

Tas:

1: AFL

...Daylight

2: BBL

....More Daylight

3: V8

Reply #399079 | Report this post

Taibu  
Years ago

I'd say VIC looks something like

1. AFL by a long way

2. BBL
3. NRL
4. A-League
5. Super 15 Rugby
6. NBL
7. ANZ Netball

Reply #399080 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Yeah we have a professional team in every league except league, but have a feeling may see an SA team in NRL soon as the local comp slowly grows.

ps - i just shaved my pubes, feels really good and looks a lot better.

Reply #399082 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

according to Austadiums, the average crowd for ANZ Champimonship netball games for 2012 was 7850, with a high of 9400 and a low of 6300. That puts itbahead of NBL in all states except WA I reckon.

Reply #399087 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Those are stats for four games, which I suspect are for the international series at the end of the year.

Most of the 35-odd ANZ Champ games in Australia are played in stadiums with an approx 4000 capacity, so their crowds certainly wouldnt match the NBL either for average or total attendance.

Reply #399094 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Correction: those four games were two from the international tour - 13,600 and 9600 - and the SF and GF from last year's ANZ champ - 6300 and 9400.

Reply #399096 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

oops - my mistake

I thought this topic was interestign enough to check the Australian Bureau of Statistics data on attendance at sporting events for 2009-10 (4174.0 - Spectator Attendance at Sporting Events, 2009-10 at http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/[email protected]/ProductsbyTopic/1F8FAC9C2C7B1623CA2568A900139417?OpenDocument)

The notes about the survey used to produce the estimates includes the following:
"This publication presents details of persons who attended a sporting event at least once during the 12 months prior to interview in 2009-10.
Respondents were asked an open-ended question about whether they had been to any sporting matches or competitions as a spectator, during the previous 12 months (excluding school and junior competitions). They were then prompted for which sports they had attended. These 'sport attendees' were asked to list up to five sports and also how frequently they had attended."
I excluded harness racing, horse racing, tennis and dog racing and the top 5 for each State and Territory are:

ACT:
Rugby union
Rugby league
Australian Rules football
Soccer (outdoor)
Cricket (outdoor)

NSW:
Rugby league
Soccer (outdoor)
Rugby union
Cricket (outdoor)

NT:
Rugby league
Rugby union
Soccer (outdoor)
Cricket (outdoor)

Qld:
Rugby league
Soccer (outdoor)
Rugby union
Cricket (outdoor)

SA:
Cricket (outdoor)
Soccer (outdoor)
Netball (indoor and outdoor)
Basketball (indoor and outdoor)

Tasmania
Cricket (outdoor)
Soccer (outdoor)
Netball (indoor and outdoor)

Vic:
Cricket (outdoor)
Soccer (outdoor)
Rugby league

WA:
Rugby union
Soccer (outdoor)
Cricket (outdoor)

Reply #399190 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

Nice work!

Reply #399215 | Report this post

PeterJohn  
Years ago

It will be interesting to see how things have changed since the survey was done - 2 years is a long time. Unfortunately, the next ABS update is probably 4 years away.

Reply #399246 | Report this post

Bear  
Years ago

Looking at the statistics that way is tainted as it will always favour those sports with large stadium capacity over Basketball.

What about TV ratings per game for an equivalent period of games, just saying that popularity on TV may show a slightly different picture?

Also, let's look at junior participation figures, that will show what sport is most popular, maybe basketball could lead the way in junior ranks..?

Damn lies and statistics...

Reply #399281 | Report this post

VP  
Years ago

Hey not sure if people saw this article "When it comes to sport, kids think they can dance" in the Age on 26th Dec 2012 about the sport participation statistics which were very surprising.

It quotes Swimming as having more than double the total participants than Basketball - obviously not competition Swimming - just kids going down to the local pool for a swim.

Heres the link to the article:

http://www.theage.com.au/data-point/when-it-comes-to-sport-kids-think-they-can-dance-20121225-2bv9t.html

If Sports in Australia are funded by participation then Basketball needs to get smarter in the way it counts its participants!

I think Basketball Australia could well be selling themselves well short of the numbers of games kids play & train between School, Local, Representative, State & National competitions.

If Swimming stats include every visit to the local pool then basketball should count every time a kid plays or trains or referees or coaches.

Makes interesting reading of the breakdown of these stats!

Reply #399285 | Report this post

Isaac  
Years ago

Looking at the statistics that way is tainted as it will always favour those sports with large stadium capacity over Basketball.
Isn't that the idea? Big stadiums because of big crowds?

I think a valid angle for discussion might be comparison of a season of events against a very popular major event. e.g., horse racing was left out of PeterJohn's rankings, but it ranks very well otherwise. What portion of attendees comes from regular race meets, and what portion from the big annual events?

Reply #399287 | Report this post

Ilikehockey  
Years ago

Why has nobody mentioned the AIHL (Australian ice hockey league)

Reply #399297 | Report this post

Wildcat Fan  
Years ago

I wish ice hockey was bigger in Australia, that's a damn good sport! My 3rd favorite after basketball and afl.

I watch the Perth thunder play on occasion and it's great fun.
I'd say the crowds there are around 200-500, though it's just a guess... I think the AIHL is a bit bigger on the east coast, but it's certainly not a mainstream sport yet and probably will never be.

Reply #399304 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:07 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754