West Coast Waves
Years ago

Another Dismal Performance from the Waves

Another dismal performance from the West Coast Waves. One Player injured does not make the difference. It is down to the coaching staff and they have to be held to account.

If there is any justice the entire coaching staff will be replaced along with some players.

BWA it is embarrassing. Yet another year on the bottom of the ladder.

Change, change, change.

Topic #30652 | Report this topic

Anon  
Years ago

You just got a new coach this season ...

Reply #401108 | Report this post

walker  
Years ago

He is all about the new zealand girls. And most of the roster isn't up to scratch anyway. Unfortunately most of the girls who are worthy of the level don't try out for the waves, so they are left with who they've got.

Reply #401121 | Report this post

West Coast Waves  
Years ago

All Valid points.

It has to be an attractive package for any player to come and play. You have a coach of a National Team, who has been unable to transfer his knowledge to the group.

Someone find Murray Treseder and ask him to come and turn this team around. He will clean out the roster of players who clearly should not be there and will instill a work ethic that is second to none.

I dont know about anyone else, but I am certianly unhappy about being on the bottom of the ladder yet again. We have the best NBL Team, yet our women's team is a complete joke. It all has to change. Coaching Staff, Management the way the team is put out into the Media. The whole lot.

BWA has a lot to answer for.

Reply #401134 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Sound like a disgruntled parent. Stop bitching!

Reply #401142 | Report this post

Guns  
Years ago

Maybe if they paid their players more they might attract better players. Look at the budegts and Perth would also be on the bottom. Has nothing to do with Kereama - he is the best coach the Lynx/Waves have ever had.

Reply #401156 | Report this post

Daveo  
Years ago

Herbert had a budget of $50K a season for player payment while he was there. I believe it has gone up this season but would be no more than $100K. Can't expect much more out of the team when that is all they have to spend compared to other teams...

Reply #401163 | Report this post

walker  
Years ago

Which is exactly why so many players don't even try out/come to perth to play... no money. But hey, it isn't only the waves who have little money. Womens sport in general, particularly the wnbl bar a few teams, have very little to offer. what could possibly excite a junior basketball player to play at a professional level aside from the personal goal of being a good player. I don't see much...

Reply #401199 | Report this post

Quickie  
Years ago

Sack the coach and get Marty and Mark signed for the waves

Reply #401222 | Report this post

SMA  
Years ago

KK is a top notch coach who does get the best from committed talent.

His obvious leaning toward NZ may hurt a bit but if he's given a few years he should be able to build a competitive roster.

A little patience will pay off!!

Reply #401230 | Report this post

Years ago

tully would sort them out ?

Reply #401235 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

The Waves have been a basket case for a while now. At some point they are going to have spend some money on some quality players to build a respectable & competitive team. It really shows the clear discrepancy between Men's Basketball & Women's Basketball in WA. The Wildcats are flying & have corporate sponsorship showering down on them but the Waves appear very limited with corporate sponorship within WA!

Reply #401396 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I like the coach and think he has done a good job, West Coast have the least talanted list in the wnbl so to finish last is no surprise.
Looking at next season, Smith should be back and we know she can get 15pts a game and has good ball control which will help limit turn-overs, they have some good young players who will improve, they need a strong very good center, someone like Jessica Adair or Krista Phillips, this would make a huge difference and give them a good chance to win their home games. I like the NZ girls they have but there is just to much pressure on them because of the lack of talent, they too will improve once Smith and another top quality big is there. You would also hope they can find another tall guard or small forward who can penetrate and draw fouls, a Mia Newley type player I think.
One more thing I would like West Coast to try is to isolate Wallbutton more often so she can take her usually taller defender off the dribble and draw fouls this way, I have seen her do this in the past and she has a decent quick first step, but it just doesn't happen enough.

Reply #401467 | Report this post

Gerard  
Years ago

Perth fans dont knock the coach if the coach is always the problem then maybe Australian womens basketball should get rid of Graf as her performance this year has been the worst of any coach ever.
She has the talent but she has no performed as a coach

Perth get back Tully some sponsership and the young players will come

Reply #402214 | Report this post

Interested  
Years ago

When the Message is no longer getting through then it is time to make the change.

You do not keep coaching staff just because they played once long ago and were good then.

It does not make any sense that you would keep coaching staff that are clearly not getting the job done. It is the coach that is supposed to bring the best out of the team and players. When that is not happening, then questions have to be asked.

The only proviso to that statement is, when you loose key players to serious injury and you can see the impact of the loss of those players.

Your statement that she is the worst performing should mean that BA and Basketball Canberra should look at her to see if she is really the best option for the club.

Karen Dalton would also be in that boat. Long time Opal and coach, Tired ideas??? Maybe. But she has already been reappointed to the position next year.

Arent we lucky that coaching contracts here in australia are not based on results.

Reply #402218 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 11:25 pm, Wed 24 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754