Astor
Years ago

Latest article on WNBL equality

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/east/womens-national-basketball-leagues-biggest-names-weigh-into-competition-debate/story-fngnvmqa-1226563987920?sv=d3b147a51474d210a97c8fa0c45324b0

Check out Harrower's maths in that article. Would be highly controversial if she's right - that BA is only spending 87K on the WNBL this year!

Topic #30701 | Report this topic

HO  
Years ago

Its a ridiculous piece of maths.

Without defending or attacking BA, they get $700,000 from the clubs. Those monies pay for equalisation of league activities.

Equalise airfares, equalise referees, admin costs etc etc.

So the $87,000 supposedly is BA's contribution to the league. So in looking at that, if the WNBL was a co-op, then the co-op would be getting more money from its 11th member, BA, than it does from its clubs. SO BA is actually subsidising the WNBL, to a tiny extent.

You should only quote that if in turn you quote how the NBL works. My understanding is that the NBL is self sufficient for admin and operational costs and that the clubs pay airfares equalisation.

If that is correct then the NBL's external revenue picks up their costs. It is the fact that the NBL makes more money from external sources than the WNBL.

The question is, what is BA's contribution to the NBL that is not directly recouped from NBL commercial activities? We know the figure for WNBL - its 87k. If BA is contributing $400,000 to the NBL but only 87k to the women, then we have an argument. But... I don't think that is the case.

Reply #402049 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Guess they didn't factor in Jacksons pay?

Reply #402050 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

What is BA's contribution to Jackson's pay Ricey?

Reply #402051 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

Fuck me Ho... Are you the new Marcus Camby but for the WNBL?

Reply #402055 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

no to both. maybe if you send a picture regarding the first.

Reply #402057 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

and can you type it a little more breathlessly in the future?

Reply #402058 | Report this post

MW  
Years ago

not sure about money spent on WNBL etc. however the success of Opals should reward them business class over the undeserving men's team during international flight. to me there's no question about that.

think about how well the Opals has represented Australia over the last decade and Boomers has done relatively nothing (to be harsh), it doesn't justify.

Reply #402060 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Of course MW, you choose to ignore the fact that the women's team blew all their budget on the European tour before the Olympics, whilst the men did not...

Reply #402062 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Rubbish. Flying business class is not about being rewarded for their success. The two are not even related.

Reply #402063 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Graf made a decision to go to Europe and blow the majority of their allocated budget on the trip alone.
yet they want business class as well, and clearly they had spent their money already. Piss off.

Reply #402064 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Again, the flights had nothing to do with BA - the Opals chose to spend their allocation of funds how they saw fit.

If they wanted to go by train and submarine to London, they could've done that if it saved them $$$

Reply #402068 | Report this post

Ricey  
Years ago

BA has contributed money to Lauren Jackson contract. That's all that is needed, and obviously more than 100k...

Now, as said, the women's team had every opportunity to spend wisely, but, like a lot of wives out there of wealthier men, spent it poorly.

Reply #402070 | Report this post

paul  
Years ago

This was my take on it all:

http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/colu/p/newsid/54754/arti.html

Reply #402075 | Report this post

Proud  
Years ago

My question is if next year WNBL is included in the nbl.tv subscription will more monies be paid to WNBL teams or does all monies from nbl.tv stay with BA ?

Reply #402077 | Report this post

Astor  
Years ago

.. Really? Drawing a comparison between Graf and the Opals and the stereotypical dumb wives of rich men? That is easily the most offensive thing I've seen on these boards.

Reply #402078 | Report this post

HO  
Years ago

Ricey, reportedly, BA has contributed a small percentage of her 1 million dollar contract.

How do you work out from that that it is more than 100k?

Reply #402079 | Report this post

The Situation  
Years ago

Oh come on, the housewives comment is hardly offensive, especially not for this forum. It's not like he accused anyone of having Andrew Gaze dunk on them.

Reply #402221 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Serio: Tourism photography and videography
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 2:57 pm, Tue 19 Mar 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754