David
Years ago

Should NBA go back to five gm's in the first round

I think it was better that way. Five games is more then enough for a good team to put an inferior opponent away.

- Also less games in the first round means less chance for injuries. So the star players can duke it out in the rest of the playoffs. Players will also be fresher for the rest of the playoffs.

- More chance for upsets in the first round with five games as well.

In 2003 Tracey Mcgrady's 7th seed Orlando Magic would have defeated the 2nd seed Detriot Pistons and gone to the 2nd round if the NBA sticked to the five game format.

If a team can't handle a less talanted team in a five game format they don't deserve to go on.

Topic #30789 | Report this topic

Ingles13  
Years ago

Lol random posting under my alias ^^^ check the IP Isaac.

In relation to the topic, don't think it would matter too much but the NBA and teams can make more money from an extra game or two

Reply #403884 | Report this post

orbit  
Years ago

David, you can't look at history like that. Detroit would have known tomorrow existed so no sense of urgency.

Reply #403889 | Report this post

Curtley  
Years ago

I've always found it funny that if you add up all NBA playoffs games they make up more than a 3rd of a regular season in games played (28). If this were the case in AFL there'd be 6 finals games then a grand final.

Maybe AFL should do best of 3 for 1v8, 2v7 etc and continue into second round the same meaning the better teams would get a week off anyway and every team would get at least 1 home final. Then the grand final could be stand alone.

Reply #403911 | Report this post

Bizzy  
Years ago

Curtley - that would never happen AFL players already complain that they are being worked too hard.

I've always found it amazing that NBA players can play 4 games in 5 nights etc and never really hear players complaining.

Reply #403954 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

Games + training + weight sessions, they aren't doing all that on just meat and potatoes. The muscle mass on those guys...

Reply #403958 | Report this post

Triton 95  
Years ago

I think 5 is enough for the first round.

Reply #403982 | Report this post

Ingles13  
Years ago

I like the idea of three games

Reply #403990 | Report this post

David  
Years ago

Ingles13 that's the problem. That decision by the NBA to stretch the first round to 7 games was based on money and nothing else. Is it better for the league as a spectarcel for the fans? I don't think it is. Just makes the playoffs more drawn out then it needs to be.

Reply #403992 | Report this post

Anonymous  
Years ago

I like it at 7. I personally love the first round! By far the most exciting round of the playoffs!

Reply #403999 | Report this post

You need to be a registered user to post from this location. Register here.

Close ads
Little Streaks - The fun and interactive good-habits app designed especially for kids.
Serio: Tourism photography and videography

Advertise on Hoops to a very focused, local and sports-keen audience. Email for rates and options.

Recent Posts

An Australian basketball forum covering NBL, WNBL, ABL, Juniors plus NBA, WNBA, NZ, Europe, etc | Forum time is: 10:18 pm, Fri 19 Apr 2024 | Posts: 968,026 | Last 7 days: 754